» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: TruTV's "Bait Car"... Racist?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/10/11 at 2:53 pm

I cannot say that I am a frequent watcher of this show, but I catch it every few weeks or so.

The gist of this show is a bunch of cops plant a camera-laden Cadillac Escalade (the "bait car") out on the street in hopes that some miscreant will steal it.  Of course the car is always stolen, else 'twood not be much of a show.

Now here is my question... Are the producers of this show racist?  It seems to me that like 95% of the time the thief who gets caught in the sting is black or hispanic.  My opinion is that they intentionally plant the "bait car" in black or hispanic neighborhoods.  And for whatever reason (I am thinking racism) they rarely set the trap in predominately white neighborhoods.

What say you? ???

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlla/files/2011/01/BaitCar.jpg

Subject: Re: TruTV's "Bait Car"... Racist?

Written By: snozberries on 04/10/11 at 6:43 pm

truth is there's not a lot of foot traffic in the suburbs so it doesn't make sense to put the car there. I'd have to watch more eps, I've only seen two, it seems the two I saw were in LA perhaps they are all LA and I would imagine they put the car in the high crime areas which, unfortunately, are the inner city...therefore you get more blacks and hispanics...but I see your point.. it would be cool if they put it at a mall somewhere or something.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/11/11 at 11:00 am

Weather or not she show is racist it certainly panders to white fear of non whites and therefor perpetuates racism.

Written By: lorac61469 on 04/11/11 at 11:34 am

truth is there's not a lot of foot traffic in the suburbs so it doesn't make sense to put the car there. I'd have to watch more eps, I've only seen two, it seems the two I saw were in LA perhaps they are all LA and I would imagine they put the car in the high crime areas which, unfortunately, are the inner city...therefore you get more blacks and hispanics...but I see your point.. it would be cool if they put it at a mall somewhere or something.

I've seen a few episodes, a few from LA and a couple from New Orleans.  They have parked it in a strip mall in broad daylight.

Written By: snozberries on 04/11/11 at 12:05 pm

Weather or not she show is racist it certainly panders to white fear of non whites and therefor perpetuates racism.

this is true... I will say tho the brothers and hermanos don't have to get in the car so ultimately they are doing it to themselves!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/11/11 at 12:08 pm

I've seen a few episodes, a few from LA and a couple from New Orleans.  They have parked it in a strip mall in broad daylight.

cool.. the couple eps I saw were in LA at night...it felt like hollywood/compton area hollywood is a mixed demographic...compton not so much  ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/11/11 at 10:39 pm

cool.. the couple eps I saw were in LA at night...it felt like hollywood/compton area hollywood is a mixed demographic...compton not so much  ;)

What, how can that be?  Compton's full of cute white chicks doing folk music!

NG2EGOB9-lc

(Duh, NSFW lyrics.  But yes, that's Nina Gordon, aka Veruca Salt, covering Straight Outta Compton acoustically, and winning.)

Want something a little more electro?

x1UoN79-8-o

That's Kid606 doing a brain-melting hardcore IDM techno kinda thing on it. 

Back on topic, fine, smite me if you gotta, but I laughed my ass off at the number of videos featuring for "Straight Outta Compton" when accompanied by search terms like "frags", "counterstrike", or "GTA".  That song was made for FPSes, even though FPSes had barely been invented.

Written By: lorac61469 on 04/12/11 at 7:21 am

this is true... I will say tho the brothers and hermanos don't have to get in the car so ultimately they are doing it to themselves!  ;D

Ain't that the truth!!!  I know that if I saw a car with the doors open or still running my first thought wouldn't be "Oooohhh, free stuff!!".  It would be trying to find the owner or calling th cops. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/12/11 at 10:52 am

Ain't that the truth!!!  I know that if I saw a car with the doors open or still running my first thought wouldn't be "Oooohhh, free stuff!!".  It would be trying to find the owner or calling th cops. 

Dick Gregory (I've forgotten his other name) once told a story about walking down the street with his girl friend, who admired a nice big caddy.  He said "well, white people "discovered" a continent that was already occupied, so lets "discover" this caddy

Written By: snozberries on 04/12/11 at 2:27 pm

Dick Gregory (I've forgotten his other name) once told a story about walking down the street with his girl friend, who admired a nice big caddy.  He said "well, white people "discovered" a continent that was already occupied, so lets "discover" this caddy

;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/12/11 at 2:28 pm

My first would be yay!!! But my actions would be find the owner. Lol

Written By: philbo on 04/14/11 at 4:26 am

I'd probably make the assumption that the driver was still around and either just out of sight inside the car or about to get back in - ain't no way I'd be calling the police about a car with the doors open.

I worked with an American in South Africa once, and he had a habit of leaving the car running while filling it up with petrol and going to pay for it.  He'd never had a car stolen from a forecourt.. though, given that he worked for a private prison contractor, he might just have been trying to drum up some business ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/18/11 at 12:01 am

Racism is the new multiculturalism, m'niggaz!
8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/19/11 at 6:37 pm

Racism is the new multiculturalism, m'niggaz!
8)

Monoculturalism? ???

Written By: danootaandme on 04/20/11 at 4:21 am

Anyone see "The Town" ?  It was set in Charlestown section of Boston and was once known as "the car thief capitol of the world".  I knew kids from Charlestown and stealing a car was a right of passage.  Try leaving the Escalade there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/20/11 at 11:43 pm

Anyone see "The Town" ?  It was set in Charlestown section of Boston and was once known as "the car thief capitol of the world".  I knew kids from Charlestown and stealing a car was a right of passage.  Try leaving the Escalade there.

In some gangs you have to KILL somebody to get in.  So, depending on your perspective, those are some nice kids!
:)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/21/11 at 4:20 am

In some gangs you have to KILL somebody to get in.  So, depending on your perspective, those are some nice kids!
:)

Yeah, but this is about stealing cars.  But, on that line, Charlestown is also famous for the "code of silence".  Never talk to the cops, even if your neighbor kills you kid, if your priest bumf**ks your kid.  It was a section of the city where people "disappeared" and no one outside the neighborhood even knew something happened.  Then you lived you life next door to the neighbor as if nothing happened.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/11 at 10:29 pm

Yeah, but this is about stealing cars.  But, on that line, Charlestown is also famous for the "code of silence".  Never talk to the cops, even if your neighbor kills you kid, if your priest bumf**ks your kid.  It was a section of the city where people "disappeared" and no one outside the neighborhood even knew something happened.  Then you lived you life next door to the neighbor as if nothing happened.

I once lived in a mafia neighborhood in Boston.  I didn't see nothin'.  Best way not to see nothin' is not to spend a lotta time lookin'.  You see a band of swell-dressed greaseballs huddled around a Cadillac Seville outside Mangini's...no you didn't!
8)

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 04/22/11 at 2:08 am

Pretty good show!!

I think its sad how many ppl will steal a car and then try to lie about why they took it!

Check for new replies or respond here...