» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Charlie Gilmour admits student fees protest violence

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/11 at 10:49 am

Charlie Gilmour, son of Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour, has pleaded guilty to a charge of violent disorder at a student fees protest in London.

Gilmour, 21, was charged with throwing a bin at a convoy of cars containing Prince Charles, sitting on a protection officer's car and smashing a window.

The Cambridge University student, of Billinghurst, West Sussex, has not specified which charges he admits.

He was told he could face jail but was bailed so he could finish his exams.

The prince and Duchess of Cornwall were travelling to the Royal Variety show at the London Palladium on 9 December when their three-car convoy was attacked.

Gilmour entered a non-specific guilty plea during a hearing at Kingston Crown Court.
'Moment of idiocy'

The bin thrown at the royal convoy missed the royal couple's vehicle but hit another car, the court heard.

Gilmour was also accused of smashing a window at a high street store.

Judge Nicholas Price QC told him: "The fact that I am granting you bail is of no indication whatsoever that you will be dealt with in a non-custodial way.

"You must understand that your plea of guilty to violent disorder is a serious matter and it may be that the proper course would be one of immediate custody."

Gilmour, who is banned from the City of Westminster as part of his bail conditions, is due to sit his final exams for a history degree at Girton College in June.

He was among thousands of people who protested in Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square and was photographed hanging from a union flag on the Cenotaph during the march.

Gilmour issued an apology the day after the demonstrations, describing it as a "moment of idiocy", and adding that he did not realise the Whitheall monument commemorated Britain's war dead.

Commander Bob Broadhurst, of the Metropolitan Police, said: "We will not tolerate this kind of behaviour and anyone who thinks they can get away with causing disorder and damage on the streets of our capital should think again."

Gilmour's biological father is poet and playwright Heathcote Williams but he was adopted by the rock star when his mother, writer and journalist Polly Samson, remarried.

Gilmour was bailed until 8 July when he is due to be sentenced.

Subject: Re: Charlie Gilmour admits student fees protest violence

Written By: philbo on 05/06/11 at 11:05 am

He's studying history???

..this is the chap who didn't recognize the Cenotaph when climbing on it, and didn't know its significance when it was pointed out to him what he was climbing on?

It's lucky his dad's got a few bob to spare, isn't it?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/11 at 4:26 pm

He's studying history???

..this is the chap who didn't recognize the Cenotaph when climbing on it, and didn't know its significance when it was pointed out to him what he was climbing on?

It's lucky his dad's got a few bob to spare, isn't it?

I'm glad to see the term "a few bob" turn up in present parlance.  Reminds me of reading old British novels!
:)

I was thinking Charlie Gilmour isn't being affected by the student fees rise unless his dad's a total cheapskate, and while the protests might seem obnoxious, American students graduate owing anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000, none of which we can discharge via bankruptcy. 

Same reason I don't laugh at the French for protesting work week increases above 35 hours.  If you let the corporations have their way, you'll have to work down mill 23 hours a day for tuppence a month...
::)

Written By: philbo on 05/06/11 at 6:21 pm

I'm glad to see the term "a few bob" turn up in present parlance.  Reminds me of reading old British novels!
:)

:)  Well, I am an old Brit, after all...

I was thinking Charlie Gilmour isn't being affected by the student fees rise unless his dad's a total cheapskate, and while the protests might seem obnoxious, American students graduate owing anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000, none of which we can discharge via bankruptcy. 

In a way, his protesting even though he's not personally affected makes me think better of him - unless, of course, he was just down to stir up trouble..

Same reason I don't laugh at the French for protesting work week increases above 35 hours.  If you let the corporations have their way, you'll have to work down mill 23 hours a day for tuppence a month...
::)

Luxury.

Check for new replies or respond here...