» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Man Subdued After Trying to Open Airplane Door while in Flight

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/09/11 at 6:23 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110509/ap_on_re_us/us_flight_disturbance

The fact that this gentleman uttered the phrase "Allahu Akbar" in Arabic is, of course, just a coincidence and we should draw no conclusions from that.

Subject: Re: Man Subdued After Trying to Open Airplane Door while in Flight

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/09/11 at 8:03 pm

"Allahua Akbar" is Hawaiian for "I really gotta use the crapper!"  So maybe the man had the wrong door.
:-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/09/11 at 10:43 pm

And where were our security professionals as a retired cop and a retired SS agent tackled the unruly passenger?  Why, TSA was doing the same thing they're doing every day!

Thanks, TSA, for fondling this infant.  I guess even 6-year-olds are too old for them now.  

Anyways, it's gratifying to see the pigf(wait, I might offend people who actually have sex with uncured bacon).  Glad to see our TSA security professionals hard at work as usual, protecting us from toothpase, shampoo, aftershave, and our dignity.  Nice to see they have their priorities straight.  To professionalize, you must federalize, or something like that.  Hope.  Change.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/10/11 at 6:00 pm

The fact that this gentleman uttered the phrase "Allahu Akbar" in Arabic is, of course, just a coincidence and we should draw no conclusions from that, since it carries about as much weight as a Christian saying "help me Jesus" when trying to cross the street...

here, I fixed it for ya...

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/10/11 at 6:03 pm

And where were our security professionals as a retired cop and a retired SS agent tackled the unruly passenger?  Why, TSA was doing the same thing they're doing every day!

Considering that you can't open a door in a pressurized air craft in flight, I doubt he posed my danger to anyone.

Can You Open A Exit Door During Flight?

so hardly a huge terrorist plot by any means.

Written By: gibbo on 05/10/11 at 7:35 pm

Considering that you can't open a door in a pressurized air craft in flight, I doubt he posed my danger to anyone.

Can You Open A Exit Door During Flight?

so hardly a huge terrorist plot by any means.

Well, then, he can sue those retired folks for assault!  ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/10/11 at 9:57 pm

Well, then, he can sue those retired folks for assault!  ;)

Well he can try, but I doubt he'd get far anyways.

It's certainly not the first time someone has tried to open a door on a plane as well. 

Written By: danootaandme on 05/11/11 at 12:38 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110509/ap_on_re_us/us_flight_disturbance

The fact that this gentleman uttered the phrase "Allahu Akbar" in Arabic is, of course, just a coincidence and we should draw no conclusions from that.

The fact that this gentleman uttered the phrase "GO BRUINS" in English is, of course, just a coincidence and we should draw no conclusions from that.

Man Arrested for Trying to Open Airplane Door

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/another-man-arrested-for-trying-to-open-airplane-door/

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/11/11 at 6:28 pm

The fact that this gentleman uttered the phrase "GO BRUINS" in English is, of course, just a coincidence and we should draw no conclusions from that.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/another-man-arrested-for-trying-to-open-airplane-door/

The poor Muslims.  Islam forbids alcohol consumption.  They have to be crazy sonofabitches stone cold sober.  What's this guy, from frickin' Ahlington?  Oh well, I guess it's up the Hersey Highway for him!
:D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/12/11 at 11:16 am

Anyways, it's gratifying to see the pigf(wait, I might offend people who actually have sex with uncured bacon).  Glad to see our TSA security professionals hard at work as usual, protecting us from toothpase, shampoo, aftershave, and our dignity.  Nice to see they have their priorities straight.  To professionalize, you must federalize, or something like that.  Hope.  Change.

It's also reassuring to know that they have different rules for everyone....the last time I flew, I saw an old lady go through with a GALLON size baggie full of her crap that was not all under the 3 oz. limit!  She had a full size bottle of hairspray, toothpaste, foundation, and some other stuff.  I also was neither "full body scanned" nor "frisked", just had to go through the regular metal detector...and this was in March of this year???

Oh, and an interesting little known tidbit for everyone....you can actually have 2 quart sized baggies with you....1 for "medical supplies" such as saline, medicated creams, cough medicine, etc.; and the other for "personal items" like toothpaste, makeup, etc.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/12/11 at 11:21 am

It's common knowledge that Osama was a huge fan of all the Boston sports teams.  He was tracked down after trying to buy tickets to the Celtics playoff games.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/12/11 at 10:15 pm

Of course he didn't.  But he might have broken a shoulder while banging his body against the barricaded cockpit door.  He was probably safer restrained by the passengers than if he'd been let loose to injure himself against the forces of atmospheric pressure or Newton's third law.

The point remains that alert civilian passengers, armed with nothing more than 3-oz tubes of toothpaste, shampoo, and aftershave, managed to neutralize the potential threat, while TSA spent another million bucks hiring defrocked priests (because at this point, who the fark else would apply to work there?) to fondle another few thousand kids.

We won the battle of Abottabad, but as long as TSA exists, OBL won the war :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/12/11 at 10:28 pm

Of course he didn't.  But he might have broken a shoulder while banging his body against the barricaded cockpit door.  He was probably safer restrained by the passengers than if he'd been let loose to injure himself against the forces of atmospheric pressure or Newton's third law.

The point remains that alert civilian passengers, armed with nothing more than 3-oz tubes of toothpaste, shampoo, and aftershave, managed to neutralize the potential threat, while TSA spent another million bucks hiring defrocked priests (because at this point, who the fark else would apply to work there?) to fondle another few thousand kids.

We won the battle of Abottabad, but as long as TSA exists, OBL won the war :(

in re: Newton's 3rd and so forth, could a passenger even open the exit door to a commercial jet while it was flying?
???

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/12/11 at 11:43 pm

in re: Newton's 3rd and so forth, could a passenger even open the exit door to a commercial jet while it was flying?
???

Absolutely not.  Nor would it be likely they could break down the barricade against the cockpit door. 

1) Passengers aware that "keep quiet and they'll let us go when they land in Cuba" is no longer the playbook was solved while the towers were still standing.
2) Securing the cockpit door was solved a few weeks later.

Everything that's happened since then is Security Theater.  Meaningless gestures designed to (a) funnel taxpayer dollars to politically-favored contractors, and (b) make people feel safer, by defending them from the last threat, even if the only practical effect is to make them less secure against other threats.  It doesn't matter, because the passengers have been pretty damn safe since 2002, and the only remaining objective that's actually achievable is to funnel the taxpayer dollars to favored contractors.

Pay no attention to this 4-year chart of OSIS, makers of the Rapiscan scanners, to which you'll submit yourself under pain (or pleasure, if you're into that sort of thing) of being publicly fondled.  Observe the drop around election time, and the recovery when it became clear that Bush-II's HomeSec Secretary Chertoff would find employment on its board, and that Janet "Big Sister" Napolitano's job would be arranging for her turn at the trough. 

Hope.  Change.  Lulz.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/13/11 at 8:05 am

It's common knowledge that Osama was a huge fan of all the Boston sports teams.  He was tracked down after trying to buy tickets to the Celtics playoff games.

Which just gives me one more reason to hate the Patriots.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/11 at 4:15 pm

Absolutely not.  Nor would it be likely they could break down the barricade against the cockpit door. 

1) Passengers aware that "keep quiet and they'll let us go when they land in Cuba" is no longer the playbook was solved while the towers were still standing.
2) Securing the cockpit door was solved a few weeks later.

Everything that's happened since then is Security Theater.  Meaningless gestures designed to (a) funnel taxpayer dollars to politically-favored contractors, and (b) make people feel safer, by defending them from the last threat, even if the only practical effect is to make them less secure against other threats.  It doesn't matter, because the passengers have been pretty damn safe since 2002, and the only remaining objective that's actually achievable is to funnel the taxpayer dollars to favored contractors.

Pay no attention to this 4-year chart of OSIS, makers of the Rapiscan scanners, to which you'll submit yourself under pain (or pleasure, if you're into that sort of thing) of being publicly fondled.  Observe the drop around election time, and the recovery when it became clear that Bush-II's HomeSec Secretary Chertoff would find employment on its board, and that Janet "Big Sister" Napolitano's job would be arranging for her turn at the trough. 

Hope.  Change.  Lulz.

Indeed, so you're saying the act itself would also be physically impossible.  That is, the weight of a 170-pound man straining against the external air pressure of a jet in flight would be impossible under Newton's law?

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/15/11 at 4:16 am

Indeed, so you're saying the act itself would also be physically impossible.  That is, the weight of a 170-pound man straining against the external air pressure of a jet in flight would be impossible under Newton's law?

Correct.  

The door opens inwards.  So let's look it up.  If the air pressure at 35000 feet is 3.5 PSI, and cabin pressure, by FAA regulation, is 8000 feet, or 11 PSI, then he's gotta exert at least 7.5 pounds per square inch across the entire surface of the door.

The door's at least 6 feet tall by 3 feet wide, over 2500 square inches.  Multiplied by 7.5 pounds per square inch, you're talking about a 200-pound dude vs 18,000 pounds even if the door had no locking mechanism.  

I'm simplifying it somewhat, but in one corner, you have a tractor-trailer with a 9-ton gross vehicle weight, and in addition to its mass, its parking brake is set.  In the other corner is a 200-lb moron trying to move it by bodyslamming it.  Place your bets!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/11 at 6:48 pm

Correct.  

The door opens inwards.  So let's look it up.  If the air pressure at 35000 feet is 3.5 PSI, and cabin pressure, by FAA regulation, is 8000 feet, or 11 PSI, then he's gotta exert at least 7.5 pounds per square inch across the entire surface of the door.

The door's at least 6 feet tall by 3 feet wide, over 2500 square inches.  Multiplied by 7.5 pounds per square inch, you're talking about a 200-pound dude vs 18,000 pounds even if the door had no locking mechanism.  

I'm simplifying it somewhat, but in one corner, you have a tractor-trailer with a 9-ton gross vehicle weight, and in addition to its mass, its parking brake is set.  In the other corner is a 200-lb moron trying to move it by bodyslamming it.  Place your bets!

Thanks, Doc!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...