» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Racism - Still Alive and Well...

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/14/11 at 6:51 pm

So this week I went on a business trip, and on the way back some dude ran into the back of my car at a stoplight.  My car then bumped into the one in front of me.

When I got back to my office, the insurance dude of course wanted to get a full report from me.  Hey no problem, I already had a police report, pics, the whole bit.  Here is how it went:

Insurance Dude: "Lyric Boy, I have a few questions to ask about the wreck".
LB: "Sure, ask away.  Basically Car A ran into me, and then I bumped into Car C."
Dude: "LB.... the driver of Car A... was he black?"
LB: "Uh, no.  He was whiter than me."
Dude: "Was anybody in the car with him?"
LB: "Yes, his wife."
Dude: "Was she black?"
LB: "No, in fact she was even whiter than her husband."
Dude: "And you say you bumped into Car C, is that correct?"
LB: "Yeah, here are pics of all the cars..."
Dude: "Was the driver of Car C a man or a woman, LB?"
LB: "She was a woman, far as I could tell."
Dude: "Was she black?"
LB (getting annoyed): "No, I think they were having some sort of White Convention in town that day..."

Looks like as a society we still have some work to do...  ::)

Subject: Re: Racism - Still Alive and Well...

Written By: snozberries on 05/14/11 at 6:59 pm

^ I didn't need your story to tell me racism is alive and well...when you live it daily you are very aware it's always there...

but weird that they were so focused on the race of the drivers involved

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/14/11 at 7:40 pm

I don't understand the motivation for asking what color the skin of those people was?

There is Racism everywhere, more so in the southern US I have noticed.  We have a lot of reverse racism and sexism to deal with here....

I was sitting in New Orleans drinking way to much at a bar and discussing the book "THe Help" with this woman from Kentucky.  She asked me what I thought of Americans and their treatment of African Americans, I said that what we did to (and coninue to do to ) our Aboriginal Indians was no less heinous so I had no judgement, we continiued on in our discussion about racism (I had a lot of questions).

One thing I did notice is:  She referred to black people as African Americans.  The people here of noticeable skin darkness are not typically African so they simply refer to themselves when necessary as Black.  So me, having a substantial amount of beverages on board, would refer to the demographic being discussed as Black.  (we must have still been talking about the book) Everytime I did, she physically blanched.

I believe she came away from that conversation having stereotyped me as a racist uncultured red neck.  When really I was just an intoxicated middle aged middle classed Canadian.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/11 at 7:49 pm

Come on!  Tell me you're joking!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek2.gif

I mean, I'd laugh if it was a send-up on racism.

Who's got your policy Archie Bunker's Nationwide?

Wait a minute...were you talking to your insurance or the other guy's?  If it was mine, I'd cancel the policy.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/14/11 at 8:02 pm

Come on!  Tell me you're joking!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek2.gif

I mean, I'd laugh if it was a send-up on racism.

Who's got your policy Archie Bunker's Nationwide?

Wait a minute...were you talking to your insurance or the other guy's?  If it was mine, I'd cancel the policy.

He is an employee of my company who handles insurance matters.

Written By: snozberries on 05/14/11 at 8:04 pm

I'm with you Robin. I don't use the term African American because I'm not from africa. I have black ancestors who were and black ancestors who weren't. Plus there are plenty of white and brown people who could also be considered African American but I bet if a white person called themselves African American people would blanch at that. Where is it written that all African Americans are black and all blacks are African American?  ::) 

Written By: snozberries on 05/14/11 at 8:05 pm

If it were me I'd be contacting HR.

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/14/11 at 8:09 pm

And not like I'm writing a book or anything can I ask where (state - Province) do you live?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/14/11 at 9:12 pm

And not like I'm writing a book or anything can I ask where (state - Province) do you live?

Picksburgh, Pennsylvania...

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/14/11 at 9:16 pm

I'm with you Robin. I don't use the term African American because I'm not from africa. I have black ancestors who were and black ancestors who weren't. Plus there are plenty of white and brown people who could also be considered African American but I bet if a white person called themselves African American people would blanch at that. Where is it written that all African Americans are black and all blacks are African American?  ::) 

Every now and then I'll get a good laugh when some television reporter does a piece about some political figure who travels to Africa, and the comment how "Senator Linemypockets met with several prominent African American leaders".  ;D

Teresa Heinz-Kerry was criticized when she referred to herself as African American, as she was born in Mozambique.  Politically correct pinheads opined that she should properly refer to herself as African-American (note the hyphen).  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/11 at 10:26 pm

Every now and then I'll get a good laugh when some television reporter does a piece about some political figure who travels to Africa, and the comment how "Senator Linemypockets met with several prominent African American leaders".   ;D

Teresa Heinz-Kerry was criticized when she referred to herself as African American, as she was born in Mozambique.  Politically correct pinheads opined that she should properly refer to herself as African-American (note the hyphen).  ::)

And John McCain is a Latin American because he was born in Panama!
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/15/11 at 3:35 am

Insurance Dude: "Lyric Boy, I have a few questions to ask about the wreck".
LB: "Sure, ask away.  Basically Car A ran into me, and then I bumped into Car C."
Dude: "LB.... the driver of Car A... was he black?"

Foo: (yes-or-no based on my best guess, immediately followed by) "And WTF does that have to do with anything?"

And if I didn't think ask that at the first mention, I sure as hell would have mentioned it at the second.  Either the adjuster has a reasonable suspicion that the person driving the car wasn't the person named on the insurance contract, or something very wrong was going on. 

Foo: "No, seriously.  If your customer checked the "white" or "black" box on the insurance form, and his driver's licence says something else, and you're gonna accept/deny his claim on that basis, I haven't a clue.  Guy hit me, we exchanged license data and plate numbers.  My notes say his licence plate was ABC123 and I remember he looked like the picture on what appeared to be his driver's license numbered XYZ789.  If that ain't enough to make a judgement call, and his race really matters, I'm not a racist dipshiet, so I wasn't brought up to try and tell the difference between an...

(Dammit.  Can anyone find the ridiculous list of terms for xyzaroons, namely 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/128th etc drops of blood of whatever race?  From what I remember of the list, Latin America in the Spanish colonial era was even crazier about this sort of thing than the Deep South.  I'd love to have it available, just to spew out a gazillion bizarre keywords at some racist fark who claims any of it matters, like I, he, or anyone - even with the benefit of a modern DNA lab - could tell the difference between 1/64 and 1/128 :)

...so you're gonna have to call the other guy's lawyer and get a DNA sample.  I might be able to work with you, but just what are you trying to establish with this line of questioning?"

Written By: philbo on 05/16/11 at 3:53 am

Maybe your crash happened at a known accident black spot

<ducks>

Check for new replies or respond here...