» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What's going to happen when the US economy collapses?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/21/11 at 12:41 am

What are we going to do? What are you going to do?

What are your thoughts?

Subject: Re: What's going to happen when the US economy collapses?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/11 at 1:31 am

Is it that President Barack Obama is coming to the UK (next week) for advice?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/21/11 at 8:11 am

Is it that President Barack Obama is coming to the UK (next week) for advice?

He's gonna need all the advice he can get.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/21/11 at 3:05 pm

What do you mean when?  Where have you been the past three years?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/21/11 at 4:10 pm

I don't know...  :-\\

Written By: karen on 05/21/11 at 4:51 pm

I was just wondering the same thing!

I thought the US economy was on the way back up?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/11 at 9:21 pm

Karma.  I was about to say exactly the same.  It's not so much a "collapse" as it is a slow and steady deterioration.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/22/11 at 9:56 am

Karma.  I was about to say exactly the same.  It's not so much a "collapse" as it is a slow and steady deterioration.

When is it going to stop deteriorating? Of course your answer would only be a guess.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/22/11 at 10:51 am

When is it going to stop deteriorating? Of course your answer would only be a guess.

Actually, we are in a slow recovery.  Paul Krugman says manufacturing is coming back because of the weaker $$, although the new manuf. jobs don't pay as well or have as rich bennies as the ones that we lost.  But only time will tell.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/22/11 at 1:04 pm

Actually, we are in a slow recovery.  Paul Krugman says manufacturing is coming back because of the weaker $$, although the new manuf. jobs don't pay as well or have as rich bennies as the ones that we lost.  But only time will tell.

Wow, by slow I'm guessing it'll take at least another 5 years to recover.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/22/11 at 4:39 pm

Wow, by slow I'm guessing it'll take at least another 5 years to recover.

This is where the history the don't tell you(the stuff you don't learn in school) comes in.  The last time it was this bad it took 10 years to get over.  The only reason it doesn't seem as bad as the depression of the '30s is because back then they didn't have unemployment insurance and savings bank insurance, so a lot of people have been able to ride out the storm, and even though they will probably get back what they lost, at least they aren't destitute.

Written By: Creeder on 05/22/11 at 4:55 pm

Americans are hard working and good people and I hope the US economy doesn't collapse because we will be all screwed then.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/11 at 5:14 pm

Americans are hard working and good people and I hope the US economy doesn't collapse because we will be all screwed then.  :\'(

If the Republicans have their way, it will. They want to give boocoo tax cuts to the corporations & the megarich at the same time cut programs that help the rest of us like Medicare, Social Security and many, many, many other programs. This includes investments into this country such as our infrastructure (i.e. roads & bridges). They are trying very hard to turn this country into a third world country.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 05/22/11 at 5:38 pm

If the Republicans have their way, it will. They want to give boocoo tax cuts to the corporations & the megarich at the same time cut programs that help the rest of us like Medicare, Social Security and many, many, many other programs. This includes investments into this country such as our infrastructure (i.e. roads & bridges). They are trying very hard to turn this country into a third world country.

Cat

Scary!  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 05/22/11 at 5:40 pm

This is where the history the don't tell you(the stuff you don't learn in school) comes in.  The last time it was this bad it took 10 years to get over.  The only reason it doesn't seem as bad as the depression of the '30s is because back then they didn't have unemployment insurance and savings bank insurance, so a lot of people have been able to ride out the storm, and even though they will probably get back what they lost, at least they aren't destitute.

Well, the current recession/depression has lasted 3 years in the US and if it lasts another 5 years, it'll be almost just as long as the 1930s one.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/22/11 at 5:41 pm

I think we'll get out of this recession, but it'll be another 5 years and to be honest I'm counting on it lasting longer.  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/11 at 5:53 pm

I think we'll get out of this recession, but it'll be another 5 years and to be honest I'm counting on it lasting longer.  :o

It doesn't have to be. A few years ago when Obama initiated the stimulus package, economists were yelling that it wasn't big enough. If he made it bigger, we would be farther on the road to recovery. If he implemented another stimulus package, it will help but once again the Republicans will not allow it. They are using the Regan strategy of "Starve the Beast" and I am afraid that it is working. 

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/11 at 5:54 pm

Americans are hard working and good people

who don't demand their elected officials be either good or hard-working!
::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/23/11 at 9:53 am

It doesn't have to be. A few years ago when Obama initiated the stimulus package, economists were yelling that it wasn't big enough. If he made it bigger, we would be farther on the road to recovery. If he implemented another stimulus package, it will help but once again the Republicans will not allow it. They are using the Regan strategy of "Starve the Beast" and I am afraid that it is working. 

Cat

Although it appears that they have over reached, so the next election should put an end to at least some of their nonsense

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/23/11 at 10:57 am

Although it appears that they have over reached, so the next election should put an end to at least some of their nonsense

I hope you are right, My Love.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/24/11 at 12:44 am

What are we going to do? What are you going to do?

If I call it right, I'll buy either S&P puts before the (deflationary) crash, or boatloads of precious metals miners and oil/gas producers before the (inflationary) crash. 

If I call it right, I'll be part of the 1-5% (p=0.01-0.05) who are lucky enough to correctly call the inflation/deflation trade correctly and find themselves on the winning side and accidentally wind up amongst the upper class.

If I call it wrong (safe assumption, p=0.95-0.99), I'll either die in the fires as the cities burn, or I'll manage to make it out to the countryside where I'll either be shot (conditional p=0.90) by roving gangs, or manage to get far enough away from the cities that I can make myself useful (conditional p=0.10) as a preserver/restorer of pre-collapse technology and food preservation techniques.

The time machine's kinda hazy on whether we end up like this or not, but I'd suggest Surviving in Argentina for a glimpse at life in the post-econopocalypse. 

Anyone who wonders why I'm OK with "screw the future, kick the can a few years down the road"?  Yup, this post summarizes why I'm OK with it.  Every year we get that doesn't involve an economic collapse is a good year in my book.

Check for new replies or respond here...