» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Kansas puts the squeeze on abortion services

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/11 at 5:10 pm

Republican lawmakers can't legally ban abortion in Kansas as long as Roe v. Wade remains law.  However, they can impose onerous regulations on reproductive health clinics to the point where it is impossible for them to operate.  To wit:

According to some of the new clinic requirements, an abortion facility in Kansas must be set to a temperature between 68 and 73 degrees, have a janitor's closet of at least 50 square feet and an operating room of 150 square feet, feature separate dressing rooms for staff and patients and have 13 different types of drugs on hand. A patient is now required to stay in the recovery room, which must have a temperature between 70 and 75 degrees, for at least two hours after her procedure, even if the procedure requires no anesthesia.

-- Huffington Post

My Catholic friends would say "Kudos to Kansas," but I have yet to see where Republicans give a damn about women or families outside of the anti-abortion dogma.  They don't want the government to provide prenatal services, they don't want the government to provide nutrition assistance, they don't want the government to help with housing for needy families, they don't want the government to provide postpartum and pediatric care, and they don't even want the government to provide education when the child turns six.  Love the fetus, hate the parents and hate the child.  

The mind-boggling regulation demands would appear to fly in the face of the Republicans' "Small Government" mantra.  Indeed, they want government small enough to fit into a woman's uterus.  

The restrictions on services and denial of licenses has made obtaining an abortion all but impossible in Kansas.  

Minors must also receive parental consent in order to have an abortion.  Sometimes teenage women are too frightened to tell their parents they're pregnant until it is obvious in the second or third trimester.  Sometimes daddy is the grandpa!  The parental notification rule sounds like it's good for families, but often it can lead to dangerous concealment or denial.

The tug-of-war between abortion foes and family planning advocates seems less about the sanctity of life or the well-being of families and more about political gotcha.  The Kansas legislature has just called checkmate on abortion accessibility.  
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/sperm.gif

Subject: Re: Kansas puts the squeeze on abortion services

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/30/11 at 5:36 pm

It really p!sses me off how these guys want to control women reproduction services. If they don't like abortions then DON'T HAVE ONE!!!! But why they want to make it impossible for ANYONE to is beyond me.

They just don't get it that whether abortions are legal or not-they WILL be preformed. They have been since the beginning on time. I'm sure if a desperate teen was determined to have an abortion regardless of what anyone had told her, I'm sure most would prefer that she had one done by a licensed health care provider as opposed to someone in back alley with butcher knife. They seem to forget how it was before Roe vs Wade.

http://www.grtl.org/docs/roevwade.pdf

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/11 at 5:47 pm

Kudos to Kansas for ensuring that abortuaries are run safely, as opposed to that butcher shop in Philadelphia.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/30/11 at 5:47 pm

This reminds me of how here in Indiana, they made a law to cut Medicaid funding to Planned Parenthood. The law, however has been taken back for review(I definetly find the law stupid, it shouldn't have been done in the first place).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/11 at 6:35 pm

Kudos to Kansas for ensuring that abortuaries are run safely, as opposed to that butcher shop in Philadelphia.

But, LB, abortion is less invasive than many other procedures performed at clinics, yet the legislature has not placed the same restrictions on them.  The lawmakers also gave the clinics just a few days to comply with the regulations before the regs went into effect. 

Come on.  You don't really believe these legislators give a rat's ass about clinic sanitation or safety.  Today's Republicans are all about slashing the budgets of the FDA and the EPA.  They'd do away with those agencies all together if they could.

The GOP is demonstrating power for the sake of power, not for the health of women. 
Let's not kid ourselves.
:-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/11 at 9:46 pm

This reminds me of how here in Indiana, they made a law to cut Medicaid funding to Planned Parenthood. The law, however has been taken back for review(I definetly find the law stupid, it shouldn't have been done in the first place).

They did NOT pass a "law to cut medicaid funding to Planned Prenthood".  What they did pass was a ban on Medicaid money to any institution that performs abortions.

I hope that Indiana simply withdraws from the Medicaid program and that will be that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/11 at 9:48 pm

Kansas also prohibited private insurance companies from funding abortions.  Hey, we don't want the government making our healthcare decisions!
::)

Written By: Step-chan on 07/01/11 at 12:00 am

They did NOT pass a "law to cut medicaid funding to Planned Prenthood".  What they did pass was a ban on Medicaid money to any institution that performs abortions.

I hope that Indiana simply withdraws from the Medicaid program and that will be that.

I need a link for better clarity.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-06-25/indiana-law-defunding-planned-parenthood-is-rejected-by-judge.html

Okay that's better. Why I put Medicaid in there, I'll never know(still defunding nevertheless).  :P

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/01/11 at 10:42 pm

The regulations set forth are knowingly unobtainable.  This has nothing to do with preventing "butcher shops" it is to prevent any form of abortion from being preformed.  It's a sneaky way of chipping away at Roe VS Wade.  Have to wonder if all those people who are hellbent on making it difficult for a woman to have an abortion are willing to have their taxes go up in order to support them.  I know, I know, life is only important until birth.

Check for new replies or respond here...