» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: One of the UK's oldest newspapers closes in increasingly dodgy scandal

Written By: philbo on 07/08/11 at 9:21 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/phone-hacking

Too much to say about this...

To summarize: the News of the World hacked into loads of mobile phones (latest relesed count is in excess of 4000), including that of a murdered teenager before it was known that she had been killed (making police and family think she was still alive, as someone had been clearing her voice mailbox).

They have also lied (in court) to cover up the scale of their crimes.

The owner of NotW, Rupert Murdoch's News International yesterday announced that the paper was closing, presumably in an attempt to prevent this spreading further (such as to the current NI Chief Exec and former NotW editor, Rebekah Brookes, and Murdoch jnr - who ISTM is definitely in the frame for perjury).

It also turns out that they'd been trying to sabotage police investigations, paying off police for stories and loads of other skulduggery.

Oh, and the editors of NotW at the time these things were happening.. one of them (Brookes) is a chum of the Prime Minister, with whom he goes riding etc.; the other (Andy Coulson) he employed as his PR guy until the allegations got a little bit too close to home.

Subject: Re: One of the UK's oldest newspapers closes in increasingly dodgy scandal

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/08/11 at 9:58 am

This is all over the news on this side too.  I wonder if Fox (not) News is also doing this crap

Subject: Re: One of the UK's oldest newspapers closes in increasingly dodgy scandal

Written By: Jessica on 07/08/11 at 12:14 pm

Oh yeah, we're following it over here.  Murdoch is sort of a dick, and I think he knew about this.

Didn't they arrest Coulson today?

Written By: philbo on 07/08/11 at 2:41 pm

Oh yeah, we're following it over here.  Murdoch is sort of a dick, and I think he knew about this.

The son had to have known: he signed off the payoffs to people whose phones had been hacked.. can you really see him not telling Daddy?  No chance.

Didn't they arrest Coulson today?

Yep :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/08/11 at 3:35 pm

It's "closing"

There's already some indications they'll open a "new" paper with another name and try and start "clean"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/11 at 3:39 pm

I started a thread on NotW in the 2010s.  I saw the story less as controversy than about the sad demise of an old institution.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/08/11 at 5:57 pm

This is all over the news on this side too.  I wonder if Fox (not) News is also doing this crap

Doubtful.  They're probably just trying to manufacture false stories like Dan Rather and the boys at CBS...  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/11 at 11:27 pm

Rupert Murdoch is expected to arrive in London later to take charge of dealing with the phone-hacking crisis that has engulfed his News International group.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/09/11 at 6:01 am

I started a thread on NotW in the 2010s.  I saw the story less as controversy than about the sad demise of an old institution.

I dunno...Hacking into a dead teens phone and deleting messages making her parents think she was still alive somewhere.  That just reeks.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/09/11 at 10:04 am

Doubtful.  They're probably just trying to manufacture false stories like Dan Rather and the boys at CBS...  ;)

Dan Rather and CBS admitted it, Fox never does, and keeps on doing it

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/11 at 4:16 am

Relatives of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler are to go to Downing Street for talks about the public inquiries into phone-hacking.

Mother Sally and sister Gemma Dowler will join Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg at the meeting on Monday and will also meet Prime Minister David Cameron.

The News of the World has closed in the wake of claims including that Milly's phone was hacked after her abduction.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/11 at 5:35 am

Labour leader Ed Miliband plans to force a Common vote to delay the BSkyB takeover until the News of the World phone-hacking inquiry is completed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/11 at 5:35 am

Rupert Murdoch is expected to arrive in London later to take charge of dealing with the phone-hacking crisis that has engulfed his News International group.
Rupert Murdoch arrives in UK amid phone-hacking scandal that led to News of the World closure

Written By: danootaandme on 07/10/11 at 8:30 am

Rupert Murdoch arrives in UK amid phone-hacking scandal that led to News of the World closure

Good.  I hope the Dowlers lose control and slap his face from London to the Channel

Written By: philbo on 07/11/11 at 3:38 am

NotW was an obnoxious rag that printed celebrity tittle-tattle and once or twice a decade indulged in real investigative journalism to try and pretend that they were still the paragon of news that they puffed themselves up into.  That there was a period of many years where they used all sorts of highly illegal means to get the stories came as no surprise (it would be more surprising for me to find out that they had stopped using illegal means, to be honest - I know they're saying "we're all different now", but almost every other statement they've made in the last few years has recently been shown to be a lie, so I'm taking that one with a pinch of salt, too).

That they lied about being open & helping the police in their inquiries for many years afterwards also comes as no surprise.

..and now, when it's all coming out, they're desperately trying to make sure all emails have been deleted (which isn't always a simple task, especially when you've outsourced your datacentre)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/11 at 8:50 am

Evidence has been found suggesting the News of the World paid a royal protection officer for private information on the Royal Family.

Written By: Paul on 07/11/11 at 9:20 am

There's already some indications they'll open a "new" paper with another name and try and start "clean"

Rather like the K-Tel of journalism...the phrase, 'same sh*t, different package' springs to mind... :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/11 at 9:27 am

The Duchess Of Cornwall and Prince Charles are among at least 10 members of the royal family who have been warned they were targeted for hacking.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/11 at 9:54 am

BREAKING NEWS:

Sunday Times alleged to have targeted personal information of former PM Gordon Brown at time he was chancellor.

Now as expected other newpapers are being involved.

Written By: philbo on 07/11/11 at 9:56 am

I do wonder whether this is what Rebekah Brooks was thinking of when she implied there was worse still to come out..

..or whether there's yet more.  After the disbelief on hearing what they did with Millie Dowler's phone, I did think I couldn't imagine anything worse, and to be honest, bribing the royal protection officers, police etc. I'm not sure that is worse.  But it is scumbaggery of the highest order.

Latest rumours are that Murdoch is considering selling off the whole of NI, presumably because that way he might get to keep his US operations.

BREAKING NEWS:

Sunday Times alleged to have targeted personal information of former PM Gordon Brown at time he was chancellor.

Now as expected other newpapers are being involved.

Not entirely surprised...

Written By: danootaandme on 07/11/11 at 4:20 pm

It would make sense to investigate to see if he did the same thing here, but since he is propogandist for the Republican Party I don't see that happening.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/12/11 at 1:10 am

That there was a period of many years where they used all sorts of highly illegal means to get the stories came as no surprise

Legal, illegal, they were the paper that - through Murdoch's networks of sources, overt and clandestine - had the goods on many politicians, and who could swing elections with rumors, be they true or false.  Now that the gloves are off between the UK and Murdoch, my prediction is that the government will come to an understanding with Murdoch (or the other way 'round :), and my official position is "munching popcorn".

Written By: philbo on 07/12/11 at 4:49 am

Legal, illegal, they were the paper that - through Murdoch's networks of sources, overt and clandestine - had the goods on many politicians, and who could swing elections with rumors, be they true or false.  Now that the gloves are off between the UK and Murdoch, my prediction is that the government will come to an understanding with Murdoch (or the other way 'round :), and my official position is "munching popcorn".

Looks like they weren't "the paper", but at least two more of Murdoch's rags are in the firing line now: the Sun & the Sunday Times..

Gordon Brown has weighed in: accusing NI of using known criminals to invade the privacy and feelings of ordinary people, and accused the company of abusing its power for political gain.

..and the police are complaining that NI are leaking stuff selectively to try and derail their investigation - comments about NI doing this to deflect attention..

..to deflect attention from what, FFS?  How much worse than breaking the law, behaving like utter scumbags, abusing power for political gain, interfering with police investigations?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/11 at 11:59 am

I just love watching Murdoch get his comeuppance.

Cat

Written By: philbo on 07/12/11 at 4:36 pm

http://gawker.com/5820243/jon-stewart-tackles-the-news-of-the-world-scandal

:)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/12/11 at 7:59 pm

Do you realize what it takes to disgrace a British tabloid?  John Oliver pointed this out on the Daily Show yesterday.

I grew up with the National Enquirer and Star, but one look at what Fleet Street was churning out had me muttering, "Have they no shame? Have they no shame?"
::)

Written By: philbo on 07/13/11 at 4:46 am

Do you realize what it takes to disgrace a British tabloid?

er.. being found out in something so despicably disgraceful that they have nowhere to run after trying to deny, cover up and blame others?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/11 at 5:59 am

er.. being found out in something so despicably disgraceful that they have nowhere to run after trying to deny, cover up and blame others?
The other national papers must be quivering in their boots, with the chance of further hacking scandals?

Written By: philbo on 07/13/11 at 6:29 am

The other national papers must be quivering in their boots, with the chance of further hacking scandals?

I dare say quite a few are.  Given the tenacity they showed with the NotW story, I'd be *very* surprised if the Grauniad has those sorts of skeletons in the closet: it would take the sort of bare-faced hypocrisy that I wouldn't have associated with them (and given that they're in theory my employer, I'd kind of hope they don't do that sort of thing).  I'd find it hard to believe about the Indy & Torygraph, too.  But none of the others.

Guido Fawkes (pustulous excrescence that he is) reckons that Piers Morgan knew about phone hacking on his watch.. so that's the Mirror, too...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/11 at 11:12 am

I just love watching Murdoch get his comeuppance.

Cat
Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation announces that it is dropping its planned bid to take full ownership of BSkyB.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/11 at 2:10 pm

A "humbled and very shaken" Rupert Murdoch has apologised to the family of Milly Dowler in a meeting in London.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/11 at 2:10 pm

Rebekah Brooks, chief executive of News International, resigned

Written By: philbo on 07/15/11 at 4:37 pm

A "humbled and very shaken" Rupert Murdoch has apologised to the family of Milly Dowler in a meeting in London.

Translation: a worried and frankly scared Rupert Murdoch is desperately trying to do anything to prevent his multi-billion business going completely tits-up.

Rebekah Brooks, chief executive of News International, resigned

About time, too - it would be nice if she showed the tiniest bit of humility or regret for running one of the nastiest, most toxic hideous rags ever to be published.  But no, she still doesn't get it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/11 at 7:11 pm

Translation: a worried and frankly scared Rupert Murdoch is desperately trying to do anything to prevent his multi-billion business going completely tits-up.
About time, too - it would be nice if she showed the tiniest bit of humility or regret for running one of the nastiest, most toxic hideous rags ever to be published.  But no, she still doesn't get it.

Running the NotW was not a humble person's job.

Written By: philbo on 07/16/11 at 3:44 am

Running the NotW was not a humble person's job.

True, running any national newspaper isn't - running a paper whose whole raison d'etre is prying into people's lives and digging up dirt on "celebrities", and moreover is owned by Murdoch, is a job for someone with no morals and a skin as thick as an elephant's.. which is why the extent of the hacking fails to surprise.  If she hadn't been that sort of person, she'd never have got the job.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/16/11 at 7:23 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/15/us-interview-murdochs-brooks-idUSTRE76E5Y720110715

(Reuters) - Media mogul Rupert Murdoch will face angry questions from politicians next week about suspicions that Britain's parliament was misled over allegations of phone hacking by one of his newspapers, a British MP said on Friday.

News Corp owner Murdoch, 80, will appear before a parliamentary committee on Tuesday together with his son James, 38, who chairs its British newspaper arm News International.

Former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks, 43, will also attend what has become one of the most hotly anticipated events at Britain's Palace of Westminster in years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/11 at 11:02 am

British actor Jude Law is suing The Sun for allegedly hacking his phone, both sides revealed Friday, in what is thought to be the first such legal action against Rupert Murdoch's best-selling daily tabloid.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/11 at 2:32 pm

Foreign Secretary William Hague defends David Cameron, saying he is "not embarrassed" by the extent of the PM's dealings with News International.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/11 at 7:35 am

BREAKING NEWS:

Rebekah Brooks is arrested by police investigating allegations of corruption and phone-hacking

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/17/11 at 10:20 am

BREAKING NEWS:

Rebekah Brooks is arrested by police investigating allegations of corruption and phone-hacking

Couldn't happen to a more deserving b***h

Written By: philbo on 07/17/11 at 3:37 pm

..and now the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police has resigned

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/17/11 at 6:57 pm

Dude, that's harsh.  Her song wasn't that bad.

/shamelessly stolen from that other place.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/11 at 11:31 pm

I'd party with her.

..and now the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police has resigned

I shouldn't be at all surprised if Mr Cameron quits by the end of the week!
:D

Dude, that's harsh.  Her song wasn't that bad.

/shamelessly stolen from that other place.

R-B Rebekah Brooks
Hacking phones with dirty crooks
Gotta sleep with Rupert Murdoch
News of the World goes Alfred Hitchcock

:-\\

Written By: philbo on 07/18/11 at 2:19 am

I shouldn't be at all surprised if Mr Cameron quits by the end of the week!

I'd be surprised - the big problem if Cameron resigns is no obvious contender as a replacement.  Which would leave us with Nick Clegg as PM (and I didn't even want him as leader of the LibDems), the Tories would be in open revolt and the country has more serious problems than a Coulton-compromised Cameron.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/11 at 12:07 pm

Met Police Assistant Commissioner John Yates has quit after growing pressure amid the News of the World phone-hacking scandal.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/11 at 1:13 pm

BREAKING NEWS:

Ex-News of the World reporter Sean Hoare, who said phone hacking was 'endemic' at the paper, found dead

Written By: philbo on 07/18/11 at 1:47 pm

But his death is "not suspicious", so they say :)

What next, I wonder?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/11 at 1:58 pm

I heard about Yates quitting early this afternoon on the radio.

Hoare, despondent over jokes about his name and injuries sustained from a falling children's party marquee, descended into drug and alcohol abuse, which ultimately cost him his life!
:o

Written By: philbo on 07/18/11 at 2:21 pm

Hoare, despondent over jokes about his name and injuries sustained from a falling children's party marquee, descended into drug and alcohol abuse, which ultimately cost him his life!
:o

With perfect timing for conspiracy theorists ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/19/11 at 1:10 am

And now for something completely different, LulzSec comes back for one more kick at the can:

Hacked-off hackers hack hacks!

They had joy, they had fun, they had root on Murdoch's Sun,
They set sail for the fail, now they're reading Rupert's mail!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/11 at 6:49 pm

Pie in the face for Rupert.  Wife socks assailant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_68QgX9glTA

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/19/11 at 9:35 pm

This story just keeps getting better and better.  Hackers, bribes, convenient deaths, hackers hacking hackers, and now we're up to 3-Stoogesque pie-fights! 

I'm increasingly convinced I'm in a cheezy reality TV show, and I wonder what the scriptwriters will do in tomorrow's episode to top this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/11 at 1:26 am

Pie in the face for Rupert.  Wife socks assailant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_68QgX9glTA
How many hits on YouTube now?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/11 at 6:56 am

Rupert Murdoch, paragon of racial sensitivity:

Roger Simon recalls Murdoch's purchase of the Chicago Sun-Times.

I had a conversation with him about various sections of the paper. “I don’t understand anything about American sport,” he told me breezily, “but I know the coloreds like it.”

I told him that in America we no longer used the word “coloreds,” that it was considered insulting.

8-P

I hear people calling into CSPAN bawling about a conspiracy to bring down FOX News because Murdoch owns it.  Nobody said anything about FOX.  Simple-minded FOX viewers make EVERYTHING about FOX versus the evil liberal overlords.  I think it would be great if Murdoch got in so much hot water for for his malfeasance he had to sell FOX to George Soros.  However, News of the World is just a small fraction of Murdoch's empire.  He has deep pockets and he can pay a pretty penny.  All Murdoch is going to lose is credibility, but credibility was an even tinier fraction of his empire.  He could care less about so long as he makes money.

I also hate to hear Murdoch defenders having a pity party for the old viper because he's, uh, OLD.  He's pulling a Ronnie Reagan with that "I dunno" and fall-asleep-on-camera act.  I don't buy it for a second.  If somebody working for Newscorp farts during the Star Spangled Banner, Murdoch has him fired by the end of the day.  Murdoch, like Reagan, is a dirty crook who knows exactly what's going on and hams up his age for sympathy.  You're being manipulated, Murdoch-pitying people!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/knob.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/11 at 3:21 pm

David Cameron says that "with hindsight" he would not have hired Andy Coulson as he comes under attack from Labour MPs in the Commons.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/11 at 3:52 pm

David Cameron says that "with hindsight" he would not have hired Andy Coulson as he comes under attack from Labour MPs in the Commons.

Thanks Dave, and you know what they say about hindsight.
::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/21/11 at 10:41 am

Times editorial cartoon wants you to get your priorities straight

'cuz you know, if they weren't concerned about the paper doing something illegal, people in Africa wouldn't be starving... or something

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/21/11 at 10:43 am

All Murdoch is going to lose is credibility, but credibility was an even tinier fraction of his empire.  He could care less about so long as he makes money.

can't lose something you never had

Written By: philbo on 07/21/11 at 11:34 am

Times editorial cartoon wants you to get your priorities straight

'cuz you know, if they weren't concerned about the paper doing something illegal, people in Africa wouldn't be starving... or something

There's been quite a few articles along those lines.. all from people who appear to have a vested interest in this investigation not spreading   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/baddevil.gif

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/22/11 at 10:30 am

There's been quite a few articles along those lines.. all from people who appear to have a vested interest in this investigation not spreading   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/baddevil.gif

No wonder.  This sounds like "newspaper gate"

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/11 at 12:08 pm

Charity campaigner Heather Mills tells BBC's Newsnight a senior Mirror Group journalist admitted hacking voicemails left for her by Sir Paul McCartney.

Written By: Bobby on 08/15/11 at 7:23 pm

Finally, the general public have got the chance to realise how deep-rooted this sick corruption is. Who would have thought one tragic little girl could unravel it all?

What really touched a nerve for me was Rupert Murdoch privately seeing The Dowler family to offer his apologies and condolences. I wonder, behind the scenes, how much Murdoch tried to bribe them to keep their mouth shut.

Written By: philbo on 08/16/11 at 5:51 am

A wondeful conspiracy theory for you: Murdoch incited the riots to get himself & his son (& company) off the front pages for a bit :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/16/11 at 10:45 am

A wondeful conspiracy theory for you: Murdoch incited the riots to get himself & his son (& company) off the front pages for a bit :)

Wouldn't be surprised

Written By: Bobby on 08/16/11 at 6:08 pm

Heh heh, like Carlos, I'd expect nothing less from the degenerate.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/17/11 at 11:24 am

Didn't work.  Several former higher ups have come forward to repudiate (or as sister Sarah put it refuediate) the Murdochs'  statements, and their former law firm says that their report was misrepresented.  Here we go again

Written By: philbo on 08/17/11 at 11:52 am

With a bit of luck, these latest events (which have kicked even the riots off the front pages) will lead to a few of them facing charges of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, perjury.. and some jail sentences a bit more serious than half a year for nicking a bottle of water.

Cameron is really, REALLY sounding like a complete and utter twunt who's completely up the portion of his anatomy that he's talking out of.

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/11 at 6:06 pm

Cameron is really, REALLY sounding like a complete and utter twunt who's completely up the portion of his anatomy that he's talking out of.

Twunt, lol.

Written By: philbo on 08/29/11 at 2:33 pm

Twunt, lol.

It's a good word to use as AFAIAA it's never picked up by BBS filters :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/11 at 4:41 am

A 35-year-old-man has been arrested as part of the investigation into phone hacking at the News of the World, Scotland Yard has said.

Officers from Scotland Yard's Operation Weeting arrested the man at 05:55 BST after a swoop on his home.

He was taken to a north London police station for questioning on suspicion of conspiracy to intercept voicemail messages.

The man is currently still in custody at the police station.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/07/11 at 11:49 am

A 35-year-old-man has been arrested as part of the investigation into phone hacking at the News of the World, Scotland Yard has said.

Officers from Scotland Yard's Operation Weeting arrested the man at 05:55 BST after a swoop on his home.

He was taken to a north London police station for questioning on suspicion of conspiracy to intercept voicemail messages.

The man is currently still in custody at the police station.

Sure hope he names names

Check for new replies or respond here...