» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: California Passes Mandate for Schools to Teach Gay History and More

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/14/11 at 8:08 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/15/us/15gay.html

Not only must the schools teach gay history but the bill also apparently requires that lesbian history also be part of the curriculum.

Subject: Re: California Passes Mandate for Schools to Teach Gay History and More

Written By: Brian06 on 07/14/11 at 8:23 pm

oh noes the gays will poison the children! Let's teach em about guns instead!

Subject: Re: California Passes Mandate for Schools to Teach Gay History and More

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/14/11 at 8:29 pm

oh noes the gays will poison the children! Let's teach em about guns instead!

Well lets hope they teach about J. Edgar Hoover, Dick Hickcock and Perry Smith too.  :-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/11 at 8:43 pm

If you don't know your gay history, you might not get a man-date!
:P

Written By: Brian06 on 07/14/11 at 8:45 pm

If you don't know your gay history, you might not get a man-date!
:P

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/11 at 11:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-7Vu7cqB20

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/15/11 at 11:10 am

at least they haven't got to worry about using the Texas edition text books... it's a good method to force the publishers to make more than just a "Texas" approved text book for the whole country like they do now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/11 at 11:56 am

Gay history? There were no gays in this country until those liberals hippies from the 60s started smoking pot which led to people choosing to be gay.

Cat

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/15/11 at 12:37 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. While I support the law on principle, I'm bracing myself for Christian Conservative groups across the country to use this as fodder for their anti-gay crusades. I can just hear their rantings now ("See? This proves that the gays are only seeking to indoctrinate our children into their lifestyle!").  

Written By: philbo on 07/15/11 at 4:38 pm

("See? This proves that the gays are only seeking to indoctrinate our children into their lifestyle!"). 

..and we can't have people trying to indoctrinate children, can we? </sarcasm>

Written By: Jessica on 07/15/11 at 4:41 pm

..and we can't have people trying to indoctrinate children, can we? </sarcasm>

You really don't know how much I enjoyed this comment. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/11 at 7:09 pm

Those who don't know gay history are doomed to repeat it.
8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/16/11 at 12:34 am

Well lets hope they teach about J. Edgar Hoover, Dick Hickcock and Perry Smith too.   :-X

LOL.

No, actually, teach them about Alan Turing.

The computer upon which you're reading this wouldn't exist for a gay dude.  

If he hadn't invented modern cryptanalysis and, you'd also be speaking German.  The fact that he was gay would be irrelevant to his genius as a mathematician and a cryptologist, except that he got outed, the UK had a society-wide "DADT" policy, and he killed himself as a result.  

Fortunately, that happened after the War.  If it had happened about 10 years earlier, Enigma wouldn't have been broken, and WW2 would probably have ended differently: ze Germans would have lost anyways (having driven almost all of their physicists and their "Jew science" into Los Alamos, NM - Happy 66th Birthday! :), but because Britain, unable to decipher Enigma-encrypted traffic, wouldn't have been able to anticipate German air movements, the RAF would have fallen, lessening pressure on the Western Front, and regardless of the outcome of Stalingrad, without the UK as a jumping-off point, D-Day wouldn't have happened, and instead of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it would have been Hiroshima, Nagasaki, London, Paris, Rome, and every city in Germany that got nuked.

Damn time machine's on the fritz again.  Say what you will about this timeline, it beats the one without the gheys.  Our civilization may not make it to the stars (I'm still working on that, but first I gotta fix the time machine...), but at least it lived long enough to realize its mistake in damn near killing the one guy who saved it.

A computational way, no Gods and no mistakes,
No more enigmas, dude, he was just born that way, ooh!
He didn't bombe in regret, at Bletchley Park, he was set,
No contradictions, Alan, you were born that way, yeah.
 - with apologies to Lady Gaga.

I don't give a rat's ass for special rights.  I care about human rights.  The civilization that rejects 5-10% of its population - whether for reason of skin color, sexual proclivities, or whatever - places itself at a 5-10% handicap with respect to intellectual, engineering, or productive talent.  In a world of razor-thin margins, such policies are tantamount to economic and geopolitical suicide.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/16/11 at 1:21 pm

Let's teach them about Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Ryan Seacreast, and Kevin Spacey.  :-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/16/11 at 8:26 pm

http://traumwerk.stanford.edu:3455/94/admin/image.html?imageid=104387

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/25/11 at 1:04 pm

Maybe schools can read stories by Maurice Sendak (Yes...the creator of "Where the Wild Things Are" is Gay)!

Or teach them about Johnny Mathis and Liberache.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/26/11 at 11:02 am

Maybe schools can read stories by Maurice Sendak (Yes...the creator of "Where the Wild Things Are" is Gay)!

Or teach them about Johnny Mathis and Liberache.

And the point would be that (some) gay people are creative?

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/26/11 at 2:51 pm

And the point would be that (some) gay people are creative?

No...I just threw a few celebrities that are gay.

BTW-Are there any Gay Political Leaders besides Harvey Milk?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/11 at 3:25 pm

No...I just threw a few celebrities that are gay.

Barney Frank.

Cat

Written By: philbo on 07/27/11 at 3:56 am

Does it matter?

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/27/11 at 10:20 am

Does it matter?

It shouldn't, but on this side of the pond it unfortunately does, especially in red states

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/27/11 at 12:22 pm

It shouldn't, but on this side of the pond it unfortunately does, especially in red states

I'm more in a Purple State.

I only ask about this because before the 70's and 80's, many people who are/were gay weren't openly gay.

Paul Lynde for example, was gay...but he never came out of the closet.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/27/11 at 9:27 pm

I'm more in a Purple State.

Mapped on a county-by-county basis, and with a color scale that actually takes into account the fact that a 49%/51% split isn't enough to declare a state or a county as "red" or "blue", just about everyone in the USA can say they live in the Purple states of America.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/11 at 9:54 pm

Mapped on a county-by-county basis, and with a color scale that actually takes into account the fact that a 49%/51% split isn't enough to declare a state or a county as "red" or "blue", just about everyone in the USA can say they live in the Purple states of America.

Where I live in Western Massachusetts, home of "Heather Has Two Mommies," we're navy blue on the purple states map!

Check for new replies or respond here...