» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Six out of ten students have been expelled in Texas - Zero Tolerance Policy

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/19/11 at 9:48 am

Study: "Zero Tolerance" Has Created a Generation of Expelled Students

1200 WOAI news reports that after a decades long experiment in punishing students for even the smallest infraction, with policies which have allowed dopey school administrators to expel honor students for bringing aspirin or bottle openers to class, or for young deer hunters to have unloaded deer rifles in the trunk of their car in the school parking lot, the Council of State Government's Justice Center says the programs have given us a generation of expelled students, and schools which are not any safer than they were under old policies.

Good old security theater... thought up by the same folks who give us the jack booted TSA thugs no doubt.  This is what we get when we have strict "just following the letter of the law, not the spirit of the law" administrators afraid of a lawsuit.

Subject: Re: Six out of ten students have been expelled in Texas - Zero Tolerance Policy

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/11 at 6:11 pm

Are they setting rules that are easier for whites to follow than blacks or hispanics? ???

Subject: Re: Six out of ten students have been expelled in Texas - Zero Tolerance Policy

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/19/11 at 6:19 pm

Are they setting rules that are easier for whites to follow than blacks or hispanics? ???

the article makes a big deal out of the 80% figure for blacks, but even 59% for white males shows it's abnormally high. I know over half the guys in my high school weren't expelled at some point in their four years of high school.  I think I'd remember that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/11 at 6:33 pm

File under:

It's not that simple.

We've had this conversation a few times before.

Just when I think the news out of Texas can't surprise me...there it goes!

Expulsion looks great to college admissions and military recruiters!
::)

Chewing gum in class, eh?  Well, I hope you brought enough for everybody!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/behead.gif
Boy, is he strict!

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/11 at 6:58 pm

File under:

It's not that simple.

Chewing gum in class, eh?  Well, I hope you brought enough for everybody!

Well I am a white dude and am still the all-time record holder for number of 'swats' in one session at my school district.  I've held it since 1974.  :o

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-18Y0aXlxMXk/TdMB7B11krI/AAAAAAAAD6Q/TT23oTxWo2E/s1600/6a00e39824440288330120a5dc96d4970b-800wi.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 07/19/11 at 7:35 pm

Are they enforcing the rules for blacks and hispanics more than they are enforcing them for whites? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/11 at 9:30 pm

Texas public policy is depraved and self-destructive.
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...