» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Copyright, hacking and Aaron Swartz

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/21/11 at 8:20 pm

A self-styled digital Robin Hood downloaded more than 4 million academic articles before being tracked down by US authorities in a case that promises to become a cause célèbre for data use and freedom of information.

A grand jury in Massachusetts has indicted Aaron Swartz, a 24-year-old programmer and fellow at Harvard University's Safra Centre for Ethics, on charges of wire and computer fraud for his marathon downloading spree.

Harvard's Aaron Swartz indicted on MIT hacking charges

Follow that up today with the following from another individual

This archive contains 18,592 scientific publications totaling 33GiB, all from Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society and which should be  available to everyone at no cost, but most have previously only been made available at high prices through paywall gatekeepers like JSTOR.

Papers from Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society  I generally won't allow torrent links or other types of sharing sites linked here, but we can make an exception for this one. If only to provide a means for people to read the essay in the description of the torrent.

Subject: Re: Copyright, hacking and Aaron Swartz

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/11 at 9:13 pm

In my day the grad students used to just check books out of the library and never bring them back!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/crap.gif

And fug JSTOR.  There are all these great papers out there on every subject JSTOR keeps under lock and key...

Yeah, well, I don't wanna write it down and drag my ass to the university library.  I want to read it right here on my desktop.  But noooooo.....

Three cheers for Swartz!
8)

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/22/11 at 10:28 am

As the author of a number of journal articles, I have mixed feelings about this.  On the one hand, sure I want my stuff read.  On the other, subscribe to the dam journal for christ sake, or go to the bloody library

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/22/11 at 4:40 pm

As the author of a number of journal articles, I have mixed feelings about this.  On the one hand, sure I want my stuff read.  On the other, subscribe to the dam journal for christ sake, or go to the bloody library

these articles though were all published before 1923, and should be 100% out of copyright.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/11 at 9:05 pm

As the author of a number of journal articles, I have mixed feelings about this.  On the one hand, sure I want my stuff read.  On the other, subscribe to the dam journal for christ sake, or go to the bloody library

I know why they do it, but as a casual browser it sucks to get a tease from JSTOR and not get the information I've whetted my appetite for.  It was far less of an issue before the Internet...of course then you could get your references through Info-Track but the nearest copy of the article might be 400 miles away!
::)

these articles though were all published before 1923, and should be 100% out of copyright.

Not much use for scientific articles, unless you do curriculum development for the Texas public schools!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/23/11 at 10:41 am

Oh, I didn't realize that.  I thought some of the stuff was recent

Check for new replies or respond here...