» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: US Policy FAIL In Cuba... and another inane US Citizen

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/06/11 at 8:05 am

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2011/08/05/american-jailed-in-cuba-loses-his-final-appeal-cuba-supreme-court-upholds-his/

Seems that one Alan Gross, who somehow got the stupid idea in his head that he could go down to Cuba, violate their laws, and set up internet conneections with impunity, has had his conviction upheld by Cuba's highest court.

Normally I would say this is a case of another American who causes trouble through his own idiocy in a foreign country and wants to be bailed out, but in this case his "mission" was funded by and American pro-democracy agency.

His mission ostensibly was to provide internet connections for the masses of Jews in Cuba.  Problem is there are only about 500 Jews in all of Cuba (population: 11 million).  Why the hell is the United States Government recruiting civilians to go violate Cuban laws in a religious/ethnic-partisan mission targeting one two-hundredth of one percent of the Cuban population?  Leave this cr@p to the professional cloak-and-dagger guys who know the risks and know they'll be disavowed if they get caught. And without the whole ethnic/religious angle.

This guy was not kidnapped by the Cubans.  He went out of his way to go down there and violate their established laws.  This guy made his own bed now he can lay in it.  SHAME on the American politicians... both Dem and Repub... the Anti-Castro and Zionist-for-any-reason types, who put him up to it.  In my mind they "violated this man's rights" far more than the Cubans did.  This was a complete frittering of American money and foreign policy capital, and the life of a well-meaning but not-too-bright individual.

Subject: Re: US Policy FAIL In Cuba... and another inane US Citizen

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/11 at 5:16 pm

In a post-9/11 world, it ain't smart to sneak around any country trying to fark with their communication systems, let alone for an American wisenheimer in Cuba. 

But I suppose it's no dumber than aiming to assassinate Castro with an exploding cigar!
::)

Written By: Tia on 08/07/11 at 9:13 pm

at the risk of sounding like oliver stone, if these guys WERE part of an actual covert op sponsored by a clandestine US agency and were being disavowed, how would this story look any different? maybe this IS some kinda hijinks sponsored by the CIA or some such.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/08/11 at 5:32 pm

at the risk of sounding like oliver stone, if these guys WERE part of an actual covert op sponsored by a clandestine US agency and were being disavowed, how would this story look any different? maybe this IS some kinda hijinks sponsored by the CIA or some such.

In that case their mission would have been disavowed.  IN other words, the US Government woulda said "Hey don't look at us, we had nothing to do with this."

Instead in this case, everybody is admitting to the mission and its purpose... more or less...

Written By: Tia on 08/08/11 at 5:35 pm

In that case their mission would have been disavowed.  IN other words, the US Government woulda said "Hey don't look at us, we had nothing to do with this."

Instead in this case, everybody is admitting to the mission and its purpose... more or less...
well, they're admitting to the backstopped version of the mission, they're admitting that the cover story they concocted exists.

i mean i'm sorta playing around here, i have no reason to think the CIA is randomly funding jews in cuba, i'm not sure why they would do that. but just because they denied it doesn't mean they didn't have a hand in it. fun and games, man, fun and games! it's a mystery wrapped inside an enigma etc.

Check for new replies or respond here...