» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: London riots: Police patrol streets after violence

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/11 at 5:30 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/54461000/jpg/_54461383_012613086-1.jpg
Buildings and vehicles were set alight in the riot, which turned violence at about 20:20 BSTBuildings and vehicles were set alight in the riot, which turned violence at about 20:20 BST

Emergency crews remain on the streets of Tottenham, in north London, after rioting saw police attacked and buildings and vehicles set alight.

Overnight, 26 officers were injured in the violence which erupted following a protest over the fatal shooting by police of Mark Duggan on Thursday.

Police said there were still "pockets of criminality" on Sunday morning and residents reported more looting.
ene of some fires.

A spokesman said all the fires were under control "at the moment".

Metropolitan Police chiefs said 26 officers had been injured in the riots, and two were still in hospital. Three other people were injured.

Scotland Yard said more than 40 people had so far been arrested and remained in custody.

On Sunday morning, police were manning a cordon around the scene of the violence, while residents surveyed the damage to their community.

Tottenham MP David Lammy said: "A community that was already hurting has had its heart ripped out.

"There are people homeless and we don't know if there are fatalities in the houses.

He added that shops and homes have been "smashed to pieces by mindless people"

"This is a disgrace and must stop," he said.

"This is an attack on Tottenham, on people shopkeepers, woman, children, now standing homeless."

Home Secretary Theresa May said: "I condemn utterly the violence in Tottenham last night.

"Such disregard for public safety and property will not be tolerated, and the Metropolitan Police have my full support in restoring order.

A Downing Street spokesman said: "The rioting in Tottenham last night was utterly unacceptable.

"There is no justification for the aggression the police and the public faced, or for the damage to property."

Riot police and mounted police were called in after the protest deteriorated into violence about 20:20 BST.

Rioters threw petrol bombs at police and buildings. A double-decker bus was set on fire at the junction of High Road and Brook Street and buildings, including a supermarket and carpet shop, were also set alight.

The London Ambulance Service said a total of 10 people had been treated by medics and nine had been taken to hospital. At least one of the injured police officers suffered head injuries.

Crowds of looters smashed shop windows in a retail park near Tottenham Hale tube station and plundered goods from many stores on Saturday night.

Teenagers and adults were said to have turned up in cars and filled their boots with stolen items, unimpeded by police.

Others arrived on foot and piled shopping trolleys high with looted electronic goods, a local woman, who did not want to be named, said.

Another local resident told the BBC that looting had continued beyond daybreak on Sunday.

Meanwhile, shops in nearby Wood Green had also been looted, and two cars had been burnt out.

Vision Express, the Body Shop, Boots and JD Sports were among shops that had been looted on Wood Green High Street.

Commander Stephen Watson, of the Metropolitan Police, earlier told BBC News a significant number of officers had been deployed with the aim of restoring "calm and normality to the area as soon as possible".

Mr Watson said police did not have warnings of last night's level of disorder, despite being aware of raised tensions after Mr Duggan's death.

"What we experienced earlier on yesterday evening was a peaceful protest outside Tottenham police station - there was no indication it would deteriorate in this way. For those who involved themselves in this level of violence, there is no excuse."

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is investigating Thursday's shooting.

A police officer was also shot in the incident, which happened in what was called a "pre-planned operation" when police stopped a minicab containing Mr Duggan.

The BBC's Andy Moore said that since riots in 1985, relations between the local community and police had been generally good, but last week's shooting raised tensions.

He said elements of the community were looking for instant answers but the investigation into Mr Duggan's death would be more long-term.

A friend of Mr Duggan, who gave her name as Niki, 53, said those who had joined Saturday's protest, which began with a march from Broadwater Farm area, wanted "justice for the family".

London's deputy mayor Kit Malthouse said: "I cant see any excuse for the kind of behaviour we saw last night.

"It's absolutely outrageous to see it on the streets of London.

"We'll do as much as we can to ensure there's no recurrence tonight."

Of the investigation over the shooting of Mr Duggan, Mr Malthouse said: "I can understand people's unrest.

"But these investigations take some time."

Subject: Re: London riots: Police patrol streets after violence

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/07/11 at 7:24 am

Utter craziness!  :o

This is very sad.  Look at the destruction!  Rioting just hurts a lot of innocent people  :-\\

The animals who do this, they are the real injustice  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/11 at 1:56 pm

BREAKING NEWS:

Police in north London called to an outbreak of trouble in Enfield town centre

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/11 at 2:02 pm

Sounds like a British Rodney King moment....

Can't we all just get along? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/11 at 2:13 pm

BREAKING NEWS:

Police in north London called to an outbreak of trouble in Enfield town centre
For those who do not know London well, Enfield is about four miles to the north of Tottenham.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/11 at 2:15 pm

Sounds like a British Rodney King moment....

Can't we all just get along? ???
I had to Google "Rodney King" and I remember it happening, was there riots in favour for him too?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/11 at 4:49 pm

I had to Google "Rodney King" and I remember it happening, was there riots in favour for him too?

Police alleged King was uncooperative in a traffic stop and they were just trying to restrain him.  The famous March 3, 1991, videotape recorded by an onlooker showed police officer wantonly kicking King and beating him with nightsticks.  Relations between police and citizens in the impoverished South Central Los Angeles were strained to start with.  The news TV networks showed the tape of the King beatings multiple times a day for a year.  Meanwhile, two white police officers were tried for battering King.  The riots occurred in April 1992 when an all white (?) jury. 

As with the riots in London over the shooting death of Mark Duggan, protests quickly deteriorated into riots, the worst of them in Los Angeles.  People were already angry at the establishment for perceived social injustice Once social order broke down into violence, some rioters set fires and looted businesses. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/11 at 1:32 am

Police have condemned a wave of "copycat criminal activity" across London in a second night of looting and disorder following riots in Tottenham.

More than 100 people have been arrested as officers were attacked, police vehicles damaged and shops looted and damaged in parts of London.

Disorder spread to Enfield, Walthamstow and Waltham Forest in north London and to Brixton in the south of the city.

Some 35 officers have been injured over the two nights of rioting.

Three officers were hurt when a vehicle hit them as they tried to make an arrest in Waltham Forest, east London.

Clashes broke out in Enfield, north London, on Sunday evening where shop windows were smashed and a police car damaged.

Written By: Paul on 08/08/11 at 4:30 am

Hmm...there'll be a big sporting event around this area about this time next year...hope the security's tightened up a bit by then!

Written By: philbo on 08/08/11 at 8:18 am

Tottenham MP David Lammy said:..."This is a disgrace and must stop,"

Have to admit that when I heard him on the radio, he sounded just like the sort of moralizing twunt to make me want to go out and start looting, too: you know the type?  It doesn't really matter what they're saying, or how sensible it is, it comes across as so insufferably arrogant and smug, it must be wrong.

Police have condemned a wave of "copycat criminal activity" across London in a second night of looting and disorder following riots in Tottenham.

Major reporting that looters were going about their business uninterrupted by police.. so *loads* of people jumped on the bandwagon.  After all, if the police aren't stopping it, then it's not really illegal, is it?  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/BangHead.gif

Torygraph was reporting looters forming orderly queues..

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/11 at 12:05 pm

Hmm...there'll be a big sporting event around this area about this time next year...hope the security's tightened up a bit by then!
Exactly!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/11 at 12:06 pm

Home Secretary Theresa May meets police chiefs about rioting in London as further violence erupts in Hackney.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/11 at 1:17 pm

Now police are blaming modern technology like mobile phones for the instant communications between the rioters. 

Written By: 80sfan on 08/08/11 at 1:34 pm

Philip, don't you live in London?  ??? :D

Are you safe from the riots?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/11 at 2:17 pm

Philip, don't you live in London?  ??? :D

Are you safe from the riots?
Hopefully miles away from me.

Written By: Paul on 08/08/11 at 2:39 pm

If they've hit Lewisham then they're getting closer to me!  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 08/08/11 at 2:49 pm

I hope so too!

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/08/11 at 5:30 pm

Police alleged King was uncooperative in a traffic stop and they were just trying to restrain him.  The famous March 3, 1991, videotape recorded by an onlooker showed police officer wantonly kicking King and beating him with nightsticks.  Relations between police and citizens in the impoverished South Central Los Angeles were strained to start with.  The news TV networks showed the tape of the King beatings multiple times a day for a year.  Meanwhile, two white police officers were tried for battering King.  The riots occurred in April 1992 when an all white (?) jury. 

Despite that fact that the officers' actions in the Rodney King case were illegal, ol' Rodney really got what he had coming.  He was a lawless drunk menace behind the wheel.  Drunk as a skunk, going 117mph.  And on parole after having beat the crap outta some guy with a crowbar.

I certainly did not like those cops, but at the same time I shed no tears for Rodney.  Dude is still a menace to society... he can't seem to get behind the wheel of a car without being sloshing drunk.  He's been convicted of hit-and-run ON HIS WIFE, he's had a head-on collision WITH A HOUSE, and a head-on collision WITH A BLOCK WALL.  As recently as 27 days ago he was pulled over by the cops again... for DUI.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/08/11 at 6:09 pm

I heard about further violence today.  More cars torched, more bottles thrown, more shops looted.  I sure hope this horror show settles down before more people get hurt.
:(

Despite that fact that the officers' actions in the Rodney King case were illegal, ol' Rodney really got what he had coming.  He was a lawless drunk menace behind the wheel.  Drunk as a skunk, going 117mph.  And on parole after having beat the crap outta some guy with a crowbar.

I certainly did not like those cops, but at the same time I shed no tears for Rodney.  Dude is still a menace to society... he can't seem to get behind the wheel of a car without being sloshing drunk.  He's been convicted of hit-and-run ON HIS WIFE, he's had a head-on collision WITH A HOUSE, and a head-on collision WITH A BLOCK WALL.  As recently as 27 days ago he was pulled over by the cops again... for DUI.

I agree...and the a-hole L.A. cops made King look like a big victim!
::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/11 at 12:33 am

I heard about further violence today.  More cars torched, more bottles thrown, more shops looted.  I sure hope this horror show settles down before more people get hurt.
:(

I agree...and the a-hole L.A. cops made King look like a big victim!
More trouble over night, spreading to different areas of London.

Written By: philbo on 08/09/11 at 3:33 am

More trouble over night, spreading to different areas of London.

Latest news - unrest in Bristol, Nottingham, Liverpool..

Roll on the start of the football season and let's get these thugs off the streets and into the stadia ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/09/11 at 4:15 am

Roll on the start of the football season and let's get these thugs off the streets and into the stadia ;)

Gives new meaning to Bristol Stomp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuzkiCBuJ5c&feature=related

Written By: philbo on 08/09/11 at 4:52 am

Have just seen my sister's Facebook updates: last night from her window she watched riot police pushing the rioters up the road.. scary stuff..

Written By: Henk on 08/09/11 at 5:18 am

They've already cancelled the England vs The Netherlands (friendly) match, scheduled for Wednesday evening. But I guess a year will probably be enough to build some fences...

Written By: Paul on 08/09/11 at 6:56 am

They've already cancelled the England vs The Netherlands (friendly) match, scheduled for Wednesday evening.

Pity...I was looking forward to that!

Written By: philbo on 08/09/11 at 9:07 am

They've already cancelled the England vs The Netherlands (friendly) match, scheduled for Wednesday evening. But I guess a year will probably be enough to build some fences...

I reckon they should play the match - it'd get all those people off the streets and watching those nice new plasma TVs they've stolen

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/11 at 10:33 am

Why not play the game in The Netherlands instead?

Written By: philbo on 08/09/11 at 10:50 am

Why not play the game in The Netherlands instead?

I raised that question regarding the West Ham and Charlton matches that have been postponed, to swap the home & away legs around - "It's not fair on the supporters" was touted as the reason why not.. but if they were going to be leaving work early to get to the match..

Anyway.. couldn't resist writing London's Burning, a round in four parts (i.e. rioters, journalists, politicians and police)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/11 at 10:58 am

I raised that question regarding the West Ham and Charlton matches that have been postponed, to swap the home & away legs around - "It's not fair on the supporters" was touted as the reason why not.. but if they were going to be leaving work early to get to the match..

Anyway.. couldn't resist writing London's Burning, a round in four parts (i.e. rioters, journalists, politicians and police)
The water cannon should be introduced

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/11 at 11:21 am

The water cannon should be introduced

Has that worked in the past?
???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/11 at 11:29 am

???

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/dec2010/0/1/water-cannon-415981568.jpg

It has been used in Belfast during the troubles there and also Europe, and I think the water cannons do work.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/11 at 11:43 am

Visiting Croydon, London Mayor Boris Johnson says police must "deal robustly but fairly" with rioters and stop them causing more unrest. Mr Johnson says Londoners have "privileges and freedoms that other people around the world can only dream of" and there is no ideological justification for the rioting. Mr Johnson says "London will cope brilliantly with the Olympics".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/11 at 11:57 am

I am so worried. 3 of my favorite people are planning a trip to London this week? Next week? Not too sure when.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/11 at 12:01 pm

I am so worried. 3 of my favorite people are planning a trip to London this week? Next week? Not too sure when.

Cat
Traveling home from work, there was no sign of trouble, but you could feel the tension in the air.

Written By: karen on 08/09/11 at 12:08 pm

Just like in the 80s.  People have a 'legitimate' reason for rioting and then thugs across the country fancy some action  ::) 

Written By: philbo on 08/09/11 at 12:10 pm

???

For some definitions of "worked", yes... the way I see it, water cannon would be quite a good tactic at the moment: at the very least it'll make carrying heavy TVs *really* difficult, and possibly stop 'em working :)

Don't be worried about them: it may seem like the world is burning down on the news, but it's only a small part of London that's affected.  And it'll have run out of steam pretty soon: all the plasma screens will have gone by now, methinks.

Just like in the 80s.  People have a 'legitimate' reason for rioting and then thugs across the country fancy some action  ::) 

I'm not entirely convinced that there was a legit reason to start with, assuming the police aren't lying about the guy who was shot.  I can't help but feel that if some guy who was known to carry a gun was shot by the police, that's not really worth rioting about.

Written By: karen on 08/09/11 at 12:13 pm

I'm not entirely convinced that there was a legit reason to start with, assuming the police aren't lying about the guy who was shot.  I can't help but feel that if some guy who was known to carry a gun was shot by the police, that's not really worth rioting about.

hence my quotes!  He sounds a right piece of work, if what I read in the paper is right.  Though of course everyone is now claiming what a fine upstanding citizen he was!

Written By: philbo on 08/09/11 at 12:35 pm

hence my quotes!  He sounds a right piece of work, if what I read in the paper is right.  Though of course everyone is now claiming what a fine upstanding citizen he was!

I know that parents often have rose-tinted views of what their children are like, but I found the dead chap's mother's description extremely hard to square with a police operation that had 24-hour surveillance and an armed squad not just standing by but on the scene.. And now there's not going to be a prosecution, maybe the Met would be well-served to release some of the evidence they were basing their operation on?  Not that it'll be believed in some quarters, of course ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/11 at 1:17 pm

Some 16,000 officers will police London's streets after three days of violence, with rioters warned they will feel the "full force of the law".

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/11 at 1:18 pm

The small disturbances seen in Salford and West Bromwich are turning into bigger ones.

Written By: Paul on 08/09/11 at 1:23 pm

with rioters warned they will feel the "full force of the law".

If you're as cynical of 'the law' here as I am, then this should be interesting... ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/11 at 3:00 pm

If you're as cynical of 'the law' here as I am, then this should be interesting... ::)
Is there room in the prison for all the rioters and looters?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/11 at 3:15 pm

A number of London theatres cancel performances on Tuesday night in response to riots across the capital.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/11 at 3:28 pm

Police in Essex have arrested a 17-year-old boy after comments were made on Facebook allegedly encouraging others to meet in the county and riot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/11 at 3:33 pm

More than 700 people have been arrested and police have begun releasing footage of people they want to question over the disorder.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/11 at 5:53 pm

Police in Essex have arrested a 17-year-old boy after comments were made on Facebook allegedly encouraging others to meet in the county and riot.

That kid's gonna be up for a Nobel Prize!

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/09/11 at 7:14 pm

I'll bet that those British Bobbies are kicking some major ass over there.

I envision a riot scene not unlike that in Death Wish III with Charles Bronson and Ed Lauter.  8)

http://opinionateddudes.mascaraormotoroil.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/DW3OD.jpg
"Wildey's Coming..."

http://media.jinni.com/movie/death-wish-3/death-wish-3-1.jpeg
"I owe you one, dude!"

http://www.jabootu.com/images/dw3bar.jpg
"We can at least get a few of them..."

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/11 at 1:43 am

London last night was much peaceful, with looting happening in other major towns in the UK.

Written By: Paul on 08/10/11 at 3:44 am

I'll bet that those British Bobbies are kicking some major ass over there.

Dream on, pal...they only have to look at some yobbo in a funny way and he'll be screaming about his 'yooman rights'... ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/11 at 10:33 am

Dream on, pal...they only have to look at some yobbo in a funny way and he'll be screaming about his 'yooman rights'... ::)

I think LB's idea is you keep firing until there's not one yobbo left to scream about his 'yooman rights!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/uzi.gif

BUT, as Robin Williams once remarked,
"In London, you don't have a gun and the police don't have a gun, so it's 'stop...or I'll say stop again!'"
:-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/11 at 1:25 pm

Rioters in Manchester and Salford have been told that they face being evicted from their council homes if they are identified on CCTV footage.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/11 at 5:44 pm

Rioters in Manchester and Salford have been told that they face being evicted from their council homes if they are identified on CCTV footage.

Oh great, now they're angry and homeless!

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/10/11 at 6:43 pm

Send 'em across the pond.  We'll set 'em up with Section 8 housing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/11 at 7:04 pm

Send 'em across the pond.  We'll set 'em up with Section 8 housing.

It takes up to 12 years to get Section 8.  It depends on your state.

Written By: Satish on 08/10/11 at 8:59 pm

I wonder if the adverse economic conditions of the past few years  have been a factor in sparking these riots. Britain was one of the worst affected countries in the developed world by the 2008/2009 recession, and last year, the country's massive deficit problems caused the government to make severe cuts to social programmes. When circumstances like those become bad enough, it's often likely to result in violent unrest.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/11 at 9:05 pm

I wonder if the adverse economic conditions of the past few years  have been a factor in sparking these riots. Britain was one of the worst affected countries in the developed world by the 2008/2009 recession, and last year, the country's massive deficit problems caused the government to make severe cuts to social programmes. When circumstances like those become bad enough, it's often likely to result in violent unrest.

I can't imagine it economic conditions were a factor.  I don't blame the working class in Britain for being angry.  I don't think torching cars and looting shops is a worthwhile expression of class anger.  It just makes people nervous. 
What is a legitimate expression of class anger nowadays?  Sheeeyit!  I don't know.  If I did, I'd be doing it over here!

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/10/11 at 9:10 pm

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/09/article-2024203-0D5F1DBD00000578-126_470x578.jpg

On the other hand, when circumstances become bad enough, civilized people might just say to hell with the looters, pick up their brooms, and start trying to fix things themselves.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/11 at 10:04 pm

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/protestg20PA_450x300.jpg

Written By: philbo on 08/11/11 at 10:21 am

Not so much the adverse economic conditions as one minor riot that turned into a serious "grab-what-you-can" loot-fest as people realized that the police weren't doing anything to stop it.

I can see the same sort of thing happening any time police decide that because some people are actually rioting & quite violent, they're not going to get in the way of anyone stealing stuff just as long as they're not threatening to do violence to anybody.  What made this different to many other similar occurrences in the past is the immediacy of social networking: the "fill yer boots" message went out & hundreds/thousands of people answered.

This comment rather summed it up for me - the way people behave when they think the law no longer applies to them.. in the case of MPs, it was claiming ridiculous expenses because they thought it didn't matter; newspapers broke the law thinking they were immune from it, too.  In the case of these people on the streets, they went grabbing what they could because there was the (fairly accurate) perception that the police weren't going to do anything about it.

It might just possibly have something to do with two of the Met's top brass having resigned last month, so that the police response was decided by someone who wasn't sure what a proper response should be.

Or, it might just be "Stupid brainless f***ing twits whose actions are atrocious"

Written By: Jessica on 08/11/11 at 4:07 pm

Or, it might just be "Stupid brainless f***ing twits whose actions are atrocious"

Yeah, I wanted to sing this out loud, but my kid is around. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/11 at 12:35 pm

The police watchdog admits it may have misled journalists into believing that police shooting victim Mark Duggan fired at officers before he was killed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/11 at 12:36 pm

A man is arrested on suspicion of murder over the death of a 68-year-old who died overnight after being attacked during rioting in west London.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/11 at 12:37 pm

A London council is trying to evict a tenant whose son has appeared in court charged in connection with rioting and looting at Clapham Junction.

Wandsworth Council is serving the tenant with an eviction notice - the first stage in the eviction process.

The tenant is believed to be the first in England to face losing their council-owned home as a result of this week's disturbances.

Neither the tenant nor their son can be named at this stage for legal reasons.

Written By: karen on 08/12/11 at 1:46 pm

I don't think they should be evicted.

Written By: philbo on 08/12/11 at 2:16 pm

I don't see how it's supposed to help.. it's a bit like the "Cut off their benefits!" brigade: if you've got someone who's just received a conviction for looting, let's face it.. who's going to give them a job?  Cutting off any benefits just means they'll have to go robbing more stuff in order to live.

On the other hand, getting anyone convicted of looting/rioting to work for their benefits rebuilding the community they've just torched.. now that seems like a reasonable idea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/11 at 2:16 pm

It is already the law, I think an Act brought in around 1988, I think.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/11 at 2:19 pm

I don't see how it's supposed to help.. it's a bit like the "Cut off their benefits!" brigade: if you've got someone who's just received a conviction for looting, let's face it.. who's going to give them a job?  Cutting off any benefits just means they'll have to go robbing more stuff in order to live.

On the other hand, getting anyone convicted of looting/rioting to work for their benefits rebuilding the community they've just torched.. now that seems like a reasonable idea.
How can benefits be cut when their are not claiming benefits in the first place?

Written By: philbo on 08/12/11 at 2:21 pm

How can benefits be cut when their are not claiming benefits in the first place?

For the youngsters, you mean?  Obviously, not.  But there are plenty who are claiming.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/12/11 at 6:04 pm

In the United States that is called "taxation".

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/11 at 6:24 am

For the youngsters, you mean?  Obviously, not.  But there are plenty who are claiming.
Take it off the next of kin!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/11 at 11:16 am

Weekend sessions are held in courts across the country as the number of people charged for riot-related offences passes 1,000.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/13/11 at 3:39 pm

Apparently the London police unions are having a hissy fit because the government has contracted with William Bratton, a successful anti-gang American police professional, to help them out.

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/police-slam-britains-wooing-1104797.html

They are complaining that "America polices by force. We don't want to do that in this country".

Seems to me these cats are violating Lyric Boy's first rule of crisis management:  When you are getting your ass kicked, take all the help you can get.  :-X

Written By: Bobby on 08/14/11 at 12:10 pm

Sadly, this is true and a big contributor to why the riots were allowed to escalate. Hopefully, this 'hug a hoodie' mentality Prime Minister David Cameron has will change permanently from here on.

There are definite parallels between these riots and the L.A riots though I think this is coincidental.

The riots also started when most of the members of parliament decided they needed a well deserved holiday (anyone sense my sarcasm?) and were organised via Twitter and other social networking sites. At the start, the riots were unbelievably treated as a public disturbance rather than a criminal situation so all the police were allowed to do was fence off the rabble. David Cameron decided after the riot ceased that police could use water cannons, tasers and rubber bullets...which was nice of him if just a little bit late.  ::)

What I find strange about the UK is that, even though I don't advocate it, we have so much to riot about. Stupidity, weakness and corruption isn't hidden away from us anymore. It is now blatantly on show and insulting the public's intelligence every day. Politicians, bankers and media moguls make the working man pay for the ridiculous things they have done in the past and still continue to do in the present. Yet, it took one gunshot to cause a British eruption and you know the sad part of it is? It was a riot created by people who don't care about Britain hurting the very people who don't deserve it!

Cameron has called in American 'supercop' Bill Bratton to control gang culture in the UK. I think this is a knee jerk reaction to overcompensate for the government's neglect and embarrassment. As mentioned previously, London is hosting the Olympics next year so it needs to show very quickly that it has its house in order.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/14/11 at 6:02 pm

^ Where's a bobby when you need one?
;)

It seems to me the riot is part of London culture.  They seem to pop up in every generation.  There's a lot of rattled nerves and gnashing of teeth and talk of the hooligan menace and how Mr. Smith should be running this country.  After a few days the rioters disperse, the good citizens sweep up and mend the damage, and life goes on just as it had before. 

I don't suggest Londoners should tolerate criminal behavior but merely that the riots might not indicate the fall of civilization. 

Written By: philbo on 08/15/11 at 6:44 am

Sadly, this is true and a big contributor to why the riots were allowed to escalate. Hopefully, this 'hug a hoodie' mentality Prime Minister David Cameron has will change permanently from here on.

er.. what "hug a hoodie" mentality?  It's a phrase he came out with that has not caused even the teensiest change in any kind of attitude in anyone, anywhere.

..I don't mean to be flippant, but how many of the rioters in hoodies do you think had been hugged by, well, anyone (let alone Cameron or anyone in a position of responsibility) over the previous year?

Like a lot of what Cameron says, "hug a hoodie" was waffling designed to create an impression of the man, not to have any kind of substance whatsoever.  The more this goes on, and the more I hear from Cameron, the less respect I have for the man.

What I find strange about the UK is that, even though I don't advocate it, we have so much to riot about. Stupidity, weakness and corruption isn't hidden away from us anymore. It is now blatantly on show and insulting the public's intelligence every day. Politicians, bankers and media moguls make the working man pay for the ridiculous things they have done in the past and still continue to do in the present. Yet, it took one gunshot to cause a British eruption and you know the sad part of it is? It was a riot created by people who don't care about Britain hurting the very people who don't deserve it!

Cameron has called in American 'supercop' Bill Bratton to control gang culture in the UK. I think this is a knee jerk reaction to overcompensate for the government's neglect and embarrassment. As mentioned previously, London is hosting the Olympics next year so it needs to show very quickly that it has its house in order.

Well said.

Maybe the rioters were showing that because everyone else on show (politicians, journos etc.) are corrupt and stupid and laughing in everyone else's faces, they should be showing the world that they're criminally stupid, too?

Written By: philbo on 08/15/11 at 6:46 am

PS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6TBTtWfEFs&feature=player_embedded

Written By: Bobby on 08/15/11 at 6:33 pm

^ Where's a bobby when you need one?
;)

It seems to me the riot is part of London culture.  They seem to pop up in every generation.  There's a lot of rattled nerves and gnashing of teeth and talk of the hooligan menace and how Mr. Smith should be running this country.  After a few days the rioters disperse, the good citizens sweep up and mend the damage, and life goes on just as it had before.  

I don't suggest Londoners should tolerate criminal behavior but merely that the riots might not indicate the fall of civilization.  

Ha ha, I know the UK police have a lot to answer for at the moment with corruption allegations but I don't believe the riot was their fault. They were restricted in what they could do and unfortunately no politician of any standing (including the mayor of London Boris Johnson) was available to send out command to dish out the 'heavy artillery' (well...in the loosest sense of the term here in the UK, lol).

I've just done a little research and Brixton has had a reputation for riots, at least three of varying degrees occurred in 1981, 1985 and 1995. This one went up and down the country.

Written By: Bobby on 08/15/11 at 6:50 pm

er.. what "hug a hoodie" mentality?  It's a phrase he came out with that has not caused even the teensiest change in any kind of attitude in anyone, anywhere.

Good point and I'm still wondering where this 'Big Society' is he was flapping on about a while back. Maybe those visits from Rupert Murdoch changed his mind, lol.

..I don't mean to be flippant, but how many of the rioters in hoodies do you think had been hugged by, well, anyone (let alone Cameron or anyone in a position of responsibility) over the previous year?

I've heard of kissing babies for votes but hugging a man in a hoodie? Lol. That was something he could have sent Nick Clegg to do.

Like a lot of what Cameron says, "hug a hoodie" was waffling designed to create an impression of the man, not to have any kind of substance whatsoever.  The more this goes on, and the more I hear from Cameron, the less respect I have for the man.

That's right. His silly phrases got him to the dance so he might as well carry on. I don't consider Ed Milliband to be a convincing replacement.

Maybe the rioters were showing that because everyone else on show (politicians, journos etc.) are corrupt and stupid and laughing in everyone else's faces, they should be showing the world that they're criminally stupid, too?

They've done a good job of being stupid as well. I haven't seen it but there is supposed to be a photograph going about showing a man pleased that he has stolen a bag of rice from the nearby store, lol.

Written By: Bobby on 08/15/11 at 6:56 pm

That person in white falling on their backside at high-speed earned you karma, sir. Brilliant.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/15/11 at 7:10 pm

They were restricted in what they could do and unfortunately no politician of any standing (including the mayor of London Boris Johnson) was available to send out command to dish out the 'heavy artillery' (well...in the loosest sense of the term here in the UK, lol).

They shoulda gone out there and kicked ass... ask questions later.

If this had taken place in my town, the air would be thick with tear gas and capsaicin, it would be raining buckshot, and there'd be so many Tasers going off you'd think the locusts had invaded.  :P

Written By: Bobby on 08/15/11 at 7:25 pm

They shoulda gone out there and kicked ass... ask questions later.

If this had taken place in my town, the air would be thick with tear gas and capsaicin, it would be raining buckshot, and there'd be so many Tasers going off you'd think the locusts had invaded.   :P

Sadly this was in England and no common sense exists there anymore, lol. The police were made a laughing stock.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/11 at 9:49 pm

If this had taken place in my town, the air would be thick with tear gas and capsaicin, it would be raining buckshot

Picksburgh air, who could tell the difference?
:P

Written By: philbo on 08/16/11 at 5:32 am

Ha ha, I know the UK police have a lot to answer for at the moment with corruption allegations but I don't believe the riot was their fault. They were restricted in what they could do and unfortunately no politician of any standing (including the mayor of London Boris Johnson) was available to send out command to dish out the 'heavy artillery' (well...in the loosest sense of the term here in the UK, lol).

The police shouldn't need to be asking politicians for commands - quite the opposite: politicians shouldn't be interfering with operational decisions. It shouldn't be up to publicity-seeking demagogues wanting the perfect soundbite to ensure re-election to decide how the police react to crowd trouble.

However, as I think I pointed out earlier, two of the Met's top officers have resigned (& so far not replaced) because of the NotW scandal and the Met were definitely lacking leadership - they didn't have anyone with the balls to make that call.

I've just done a little research and Brixton has had a reputation for riots, at least three of varying degrees occurred in 1981, 1985 and 1995. This one went up and down the country.

These riots didn't (to me, anyway) have anything like the feel of the 80s riots - there was much more anger back then, and far less open greed & looting.

That's right. His silly phrases got him to the dance so he might as well carry on. I don't consider Ed Milliband to be a convincing replacement.

We have a governing class at the moment who have done their Oxford University PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics) degree which has taught them how to be very good at saying the sorts of things people want to hear in order to get elected.  It doesn't mean they know what to do when they get there.

They've done a good job of being stupid as well. I haven't seen it but there is supposed to be a photograph going about showing a man pleased that he has stolen a bag of rice from the nearby store, lol.

Not just pleased he has stolen a bag of rice, but a bag of Tesco Value (i.e. cheapest possible) rice..
http://i52.tinypic.com/2l95wd3.jpg

Written By: Bobby on 08/16/11 at 6:19 pm

The police shouldn't need to be asking politicians for commands - quite the opposite: politicians shouldn't be interfering with operational decisions. It shouldn't be up to publicity-seeking demagogues wanting the perfect soundbite to ensure re-election to decide how the police react to crowd trouble.  

However, as I think I pointed out earlier, two of the Met's top officers have resigned (& so far not replaced) because of the NotW scandal and the Met were definitely lacking leadership - they didn't have anyone with the balls to make that call.

Ah, I completely forgotten about the top brass resigning. Now I understand why the police were left up the creek without a proverbial paddle.

These riots didn't (to me, anyway) have anything like the feel of the 80s riots - there was much more anger back then, and far less open greed & looting.

I don't remember any of the earlier riots but what you mentioned here was what truly upset me about this riot. It wasn't about making a stand, it wasn't about revolution it was simply a case of national mob mentality. We seem to live in a world where the bad people are the only ones bad enough to make a difference...  ??? ...  :)

We have a governing class at the moment who have done their Oxford University PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics) degree which has taught them how to be very good at saying the sorts of things people want to hear in order to get elected.  It doesn't mean they know what to do when they get there.

Very true and, from what I understand, David Cameron, George Osbourne and Boris Johnson were part of the Bullingdon Club when they were younger - an elite dining clique who regularly vandalised and smashed property.  ::)

Not just pleased he has stolen a bag of rice, but a bag of Tesco Value (i.e. cheapest possible) rice..
http://i52.tinypic.com/2l95wd3.jpg

Every little helps, lol.

What an imbecile, being proud of so little. Sadly, this is the mentality we have to deal with.

Written By: philbo on 08/17/11 at 4:14 am

Very true and, from what I understand, David Cameron, George Osbourne and Boris Johnson were part of the Bullingdon Club when they were younger - an elite dining clique who regularly vandalised and smashed property.  ::)

Yes - and this bit is particularly sickening: for some reason it's OK when upper-class twunts like those three go on a drink-fuelled rampage, yet when other people do it, it's damaging to the national fabric.  The word "hypocrisy" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/17/11 at 5:46 pm

Every little helps, lol.

What an imbecile, being proud of so little. Sadly, this is the mentality we have to deal with.

Well, I dunno...maybe it says he's an imbecile and maybe his choice of a bag of rice above a store full of lootable goods says something the Brits might not be so comfortable considering. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/11 at 12:28 pm

Up to 20,000 people have gathered for a prayer event ahead of the funeral for three men killed during riots in Birmingham, police estimate.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/11 at 3:01 pm

Keystone Kops meets Benny Hill?

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 08/18/11 at 3:07 pm

Man, some of those rioters were just ridiculous. (NSFW....or at least the last part isn't)

http://chzmemeafterdark.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/naughty-memes-manchester-riots.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/11 at 8:42 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI88GV5H_9A
They riot because they eat, drink, and screw.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses12.gif

Written By: philbo on 08/19/11 at 3:15 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI88GV5H_9A

Unfortunately, the best descriptions of Ann Coulter would be changed by the site's obscenity filter, so I'll just have to say she's an obnoxious, hypocritical, despicable piddle of humanity, as is anyone who takes the editorial decision to give her any airtime whatsoever.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/19/11 at 5:14 pm

Unfortunately, the best descriptions of Ann Coulter would be changed by the site's obscenity filter, so I'll just have to say she's an obnoxious, hypocritical, despicable piddle of humanity, as is anyone who takes the editorial decision to give her any airtime whatsoever.

She would be laughable if millions of Americans didn't buy her books!

Coulter indicated the problem was "they eat when they're hungry."  Well, she should have seen the riots back when the peasants were starving!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/peepwall.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/20/11 at 7:48 pm

<youtube>something involving ann coulter?!</youtube>

Eat, dance, whatever. 

yuTMWgOduFM

It's like there's nothing else to do.

I've lived with common people!

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/6cb/a65/b31/resized/hipster-ariel-meme-generator-i-lived-with-common-people-it-was-overrated-when-pulp-was-new-156e55.jpg

It was overrated even before "Pulp" became a hipster reference to the 90s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/11 at 12:52 pm

Officers are investigating almost 3,300 offences following the riots and looting in London, the Metropolitan Police says.

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/11 at 6:01 pm

Yes - and this bit is particularly sickening: for some reason it's OK when upper-class twunts like those three go on a drink-fuelled rampage, yet when other people do it, it's damaging to the national fabric.  The word "hypocrisy" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Sadly, the incentive for being in control of the law is the luxury of being able to break it, which is sadly why so many people strive for it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/11 at 8:28 am

A 28-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of the attempted murder of two police officers during disorder in north-east London.

The two constables were chasing looters from a clothes shop in Chingford Mount Road when the car hit them in Royston Avenue, Waltham Forest, on 8 August.

One suffered knee and leg wounds while the other received a shoulder injury. Both are said to be recovering at home

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/11 at 4:35 pm

An investigation has found that there is no forensic evidence that Mark Duggan was armed when he was shot by police, the Guardian newspaper has claimed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/21/11 at 6:32 am

Police seeking suspected rioters have raided about 100 addresses across London.

The Metropolitan Police said 62 arrests were made by officers from several different departments of the force.

Four months on from the disorder, more than 3,400 people have been arrested and about two-thirds of them charged or summoned to court.

Officers began moving on homes in boroughs across the capital from dawn on Wednesday.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/21/11 at 6:48 am

Police seeking suspected rioters have raided about 100 addresses across London.

Time for those Bobbies to kick some ass.  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/21/11 at 6:49 am

Time for those Bobbies to kick some ass.  ;)
Yes indeed, just in time for Christmas!

Check for new replies or respond here...