» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: 'Beyond Scared Straight' - Racist Show?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/13/11 at 8:57 pm

I'm sitting here watching A&E's Beyond Scared Straight where they haul juvenile delinquents into a jail where the inmates yell at them and tell them how bad it is in prison.

The vast majority of the inmates and juvenile delinquents are blacks.  Yet... blacks only account for about 40% of the prison population.

They're running teaser ads for another episode that's at a women's prison and again most of the people I see are black in the ads.  But there are far more white women incarcerated than there are black women.

What's up with that? ???  Is this show really another form of media exploitation of negative black images? ???

Subject: Re: 'Beyond Scared Straight' - Racist Show?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/13/11 at 11:22 pm

I'm sitting here watching A&E's Beyond Scared Straight where they haul juvenile delinquents into a jail where the inmates yell at them and tell them how bad it is in prison.

The vast majority of the inmates and juvenile delinquents are blacks.  Yet... blacks only account for about 40% of the prison population.

Blacks are only 14% of the general population.  I think the question goes to whose more likely to get convicted and incarcerated for which crimes. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/14/11 at 8:59 am

Blacks are only 14% of the general population.  I think the question goes to whose more likely to get convicted and incarcerated for which crimes. 

I know what you're saying for sure.

But then even considering that blacks are disproportionately represented in the actual prison rolls, 'Beyond Scared Straight' goes yet one step further, at least in most of the episodes I saw.

I did see one episode (they were running a marathon last night) where there were more white guys, though.

I wish they woulda had this when I was groing up.  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/14/11 at 6:19 pm

I know what you're saying for sure.

But then even considering that blacks are disproportionately represented in the actual prison rolls, 'Beyond Scared Straight' goes yet one step further, at least in most of the episodes I saw.

I did see one episode (they were running a marathon last night) where there were more white guys, though.

I wish they woulda had this when I was groing up.   :-\\

I think there's always been a racist element in those "Scared Straight" programs. 

If you keep stealing candy bars a big scary black guy is gonna make you toss his salad.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/14/11 at 6:26 pm

If you keep stealing candy bars a big scary black guy is gonna make you toss his salad.

Oh the horrors are even worse than that.  Last night they were telling this kid that there's one toilet for every 50 inmates and when you go in there, all sorts of bodily substances are on the toilet seat... floor... walls... ceiling...  8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...