» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Meanwhile in Libya, the rebels reach Tripoli; Gadaffi reportedly flees

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/20/11 at 9:57 pm

oh noes!1!! Libya is total quagmire, Obama is the anti-christ for supporting the UN invasion, we'll be there for centuries because we'll need boots on the ground because the rebels are totally unable of capturing the country... quagmire or something.  Can someone remind me what the Fox News position was again? Seems like it's not coming true

Couple links to the appropriate places

Subject: Re: Meanwhile in Libya, the rebels reach Tripoli; Gadaffi reportedly flees

Written By: danootaandme on 08/21/11 at 6:40 am

oh noes!1!! Libya is total quagmire, Obama is the anti-christ for supporting the UN invasion, we'll be there for centuries because we'll need boots on the ground because the rebels are totally unable of capturing the country... quagmire or something.  Can someone remind me what the Fox News position was again? Seems like it's not coming true

Yesyesyes!

Subject: Re: Meanwhile in Libya, the rebels reach Tripoli; Gadaffi reportedly flees

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/21/11 at 9:04 am

I don't believe that O'bama ever planned to set boots on the ground in Libya.  He was content to lob a few bombs their way because Libya was an easy hit to make.  That's also why he's not bombing Syria... because it is not the easy hit that Libya was.

However the premises of a "quick kinetic action" and "reducing the loss of civilian lives" didn't seem to come out now did they?  Thousands more people are dead in Libya due to international intervention.

This action will look even sillier when the post-Quadaffi factional violence commences.

The time for the USA to have bombed the hell out of Libya was back in the 1980's when it was in America's interest.  Despite Libya's past, NATO forces got so caught up in their warmaking and the mirage of an 'Arab Spring' that they neglected to observe tha in the 2010's, Quadaffi was actually a stabilizing force in North Africa.  Dems and Repubs alike made the same mistake on this one.

Written By: Tia on 08/21/11 at 6:21 pm

hats off to the rebels, man. i didn't think they had it in 'em, i'll be honest. this is a rare bit of exciting news, with Obama's help the Libyan people have pulled off what Reagan couldn't. Somehow, though, I have the suspicion Hillary should get more of the credit for this than Obambi, and to me it's frustrating that our foreign policy under the dems is so much better than our domestic policy. But nevertheless, Obama gets credit for helping this along just like he gets credit for tracking down OBL. Keep rackin' 'em up, Obama, maybe the tide will turn.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/21/11 at 6:50 pm

hats off to the rebels, man. i didn't think they had it in 'em, i'll be honest. this is a rare bit of exciting news, with Obama's help the Libyan people have pulled off what Reagan couldn't.

The Libyan people pulled off little.  The rebels were almost vanquished until Western air power was brought to bear.  Western air power destroyed the (albeit not very capable) Libyan Air force, sank all of its warships, and did aerial plinking of tanks and artillery pieces, then supplied the rebels with weapons, cash, and battle strategy help.  The Sisters of Saint Joseph could have taken Tripoli with all the Western air attacks over the past 6 months.

Next steps? Factional infighting, and demands that the West pony up money to rebuild the infrastructure which was destroyed over the past 180 days.

Will be interesting to see Quadaffi's fate though... Will he go down fighting, or will he beat a quick retreat to Tunisia or The Sudan? ???

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/11 at 8:34 pm

Wow, 42 years of Gadaffi rulership comes to an end.

The only problem I see in this is if the rebels go as crazy as Gadaffi will we end up going to war again to sort them out?

As much as I think Gadaffi needed sorting out, both the UK and the US are moral hypocrites. We act like the world's police under the guise of democracy when all we are interested in is the oil supply. I wonder why we didn't/don't show so much enthusiasm to oust Robert Mugabe from office in Zimbabwe...  :-\\

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/22/11 at 8:45 am

The Sisters of Saint Joseph could have taken Tripoli with all the Western air attacks over the past 6 months.

;D +1

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/22/11 at 9:16 pm

hats off to the rebels, man. i didn't think they had it in 'em, i'll be honest.

And with apologies to Marshall McLuhan, this time around, the revolution was even televised.

One of the coolest moments of last night's beer-drinking-and-popcorn-munching session was seeing a live phone interview with one of Gadaffi's sons cut off due to gunfire, live, as the rebels overtook the building.

The only problem I see in this is if the rebels go as crazy as Gadaffi will we end up going to war again to sort them out?

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/libyasquare.jpg

They may be crazy, but they sure don't look like the radical Islamic fanatics that Gadaffi, Mubarak, Hugo Chavez, the Chinese, the Russians, and the Republicans would have us believe they are.

Written By: Bobby on 08/23/11 at 7:29 pm

They may be crazy, but they sure don't look like the radical Islamic fanatics that Gadaffi, Mubarak, Hugo Chavez, the Chinese, the Russians, and the Republicans would have us believe they are.

Hopefully, it's not a case of a lesser of two evils. If the US gave the rebels weapons to overthrow Gaddafi does that mean the US will go to war with them in about 20 years time.  ;)

That's what happens when you watch Michael Moore's 'Bowling for Columbine', lol.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/23/11 at 8:25 pm

Gadaffi loyalists are still holding about thirty journalists in a Tripoli hotel.  I hope everybody gets out okay.
:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv8tVxk6Nj4&feature=related

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/26/11 at 11:45 pm

Gadaffi loyalists are still holding about thirty journalists in a Tripoli hotel.  I hope everybody gets out okay.

They did.  As soon as the loyalists realized the regime had fallen, it was cool.  Without access to anything else, the troops "guarding" the journalists really believed Gaddafi's propaganda, up until it was obvious to anyone and everyone that it was just, well, propaganda.

Hopefully, it's not a case of a lesser of two evils. If the US gave the rebels weapons to overthrow Gaddafi does that mean the US will go to war with them in about 20 years time.  ;)

Possibly.  Rambo III turned out to be a pretty crappy return on our investment against the Russians.  But we've got until 2030 to settle the bet on our support of Gaddafi's overthrow.  LyricBoy: double or nothing? :)

Written By: King Tut on 08/27/11 at 3:34 pm

http://midliferocksblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Muammar-gaddafi-funny.jpg

New disguise. :D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DcigqUTuhLk/TYOXOkJM9UI/AAAAAAAACpw/NGXcJJKeupM/s1600/make%2Bup.jpg

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 08/28/11 at 7:35 am

During the 2008 election(and before) you were against the "Bush wars". Now you support this conflict. What's the difference? It's just a continuation of the Bush Doctrine. You referring to this conflict as a "UN invasion" is laughable. The US/NATO using a UN Resolution as a pretext for war does not make it a "UN invasion". You need a history lesson on the UN's involvement in conflicts.

The biggest accomplishment of the Obama presidency was to show how hypocritical both sides really are. Dems- War under Bush=BAD, War under Obama=GOOD  GOP- War under Bush- GOOD, War under Obama=BAD

Bush would have intervened in this situation as well. Libya is a strategic area with tons of resources. The difference is you would have been whining about this conflict if Bush were still in charge.

Now there's gonna be a power vacuum in the African region with terrorist organizations praying they can fill it, and when this so called "Arab Spring" isn't the sunshine and lollipops it was supposed to be, guess who has to walk in there and occupy it under the disguise of "spreading democracy"(oops, wrong catch phrase. Obama calls it "zones of freedom")? The United States. Now our defense budget can go from borrowing $700 billion a year to sustain it to a trillion and an already spread too thin military can twiddle their thumbs in another country while getting shot. YAY!! Obama and his cheering section win!

Now can you tell me what you won?

The disgusting thing about this conflict is that we're aiding Al Qaeda in the conflict. Even Hilary had issues with this, but we cant let such small details get in the way of our mouths watering over establishing a long term presence in that vital region.

One of the coolest moments of last night's beer-drinking-and-popcorn-munching session was seeing a live phone interview with one of Gadaffi's sons cut off due to gunfire, live, as the rebels overtook the building.

The post above also a continuation of the Bush Doctrine to a degree. Presenting warfare as something for you to cheer on like a sports game while you drink beer and eat popcorn. The destruction, loss of life, and consequences to these actions just trivial issues not to be thought of as you might choke to death on a popcorn kernel if you were to actually realize what you're cheering for. I don't blame Putin for referring to us as "parasites". He's right. If we didn't have such a large nuclear arsenal, naval armada, and our military stationed in every strategic spot on the globe, we'd get occupied and extinguished in three shakes of a lamb's tail.

Wow, 42 years of Gadaffi rulership comes to an end.

One person in this thread gets it. Congrats.

We wont be going to war with them "again". It will be a continuation of the ongoing conflict, which the cheering section believes to be over but in reality has just started. Its why NATO allies started pulling out of the conflict months ago(Norway,Germany, Italy) and more allies considering it(Canada, France). They woke up and smelled the coffee, and they realized the coffee smell wasn't enforcing a UN resolution of a no fly zone to prevent the Libyan military from killing civilians but was instead the smell of occupation like Afghanistan and Iraq.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the amount of countries willing to deal with a potential long term occupation when the Gaddafi smoke clears is going to be narrowed down to one.

The beer guzzlers and popcorn munchers should be placed on the front lines when it happens.

I wonder why we didn't/don't show so much enthusiasm to oust Robert Mugabe from office in Zimbabwe...  :-\\
You answered your own question in your previous sentence. Mugabe and Zimbabwe have nothing we need at the moment. As the tendrils of the US military begin digging into Africa, we may eventually see action in Sudan, Zimbabwe,etc. but it will have nothing to do with the prevention of wide scale massacres which have been occurring there for years.

with Obama's help the Libyan people have pulled off what Reagan couldn't.
You need a history lesson on Reagan's two strikes against Libya which had nothing to do with regime change or occupying Libya. Reagan with the greatest military on the planet in zero wars couldn't do what is happening now with the US in two major conflicts, up to its ass in debt, and on the verge of economic collapse?? Take your partisan glasses off.

it's frustrating that our foreign policy under the dems is so much better than our domestic policy. But nevertheless, Obama gets credit for helping this along just like he gets credit for tracking down OBL. Keep rackin' 'em up, Obama, maybe the tide will turn.
Another closet Bush supporter. You remind me of a friend of mine in the military. He voted for Bush twice, ranted non stop about Obama during the election, then started to support him on a variety of issues. Why? Because Obama stayed the course that was set by Bush. At least he was willing to admit it.

That's also why he's not bombing Syria... because it is not the easy hit that Libya was.
He's not bombing Syria yet because it's not the right time. I agree it wont be easy and tensions with Russia will reach Cold War levels when we start bombing there and could quickly turn into a US-Russia proxy war, but Syria will be the next domino to fall regardless.

This action will look even sillier when the post-Quadaffi factional violence commences.
You're not kidding.

The time for the USA to have bombed the hell out of Libya was back in the 1980's when it was in America's interest.  Despite Libya's past, NATO forces got so caught up in their warmaking and the mirage of an 'Arab Spring' that they neglected to observe tha in the 2010's, Quadaffi was actually a stabilizing force in North Africa.  Dems and Repubs alike made the same mistake on this one.
I agree on him being a stabilizing force in the region(just like Saddam was) and when all this is finally over it will be considered a colossal mistake.

As far as Reagan goes, while I agree he had the right to pulverize Libya in 86 had he wished to do so, the cons far outweighed the pros in doing it. He took the smart way out by doing strategic strikes to send a message and it worked at the time. Had he used the Bush/Obama doctrine of mass air strikes and possibly occupying Libya during the final years of the Cold War, it would have lit a fuse across that entire continent and we probably would have had to use everything in our military including the kitchen sink and steamroll the continent, creating a never ending quagmire. Take into account the Soviets would not have sat idle while we did this. Also take into account that during the 80s, people didn't sit around drinking and cheering on war after war after war. The American people would not have had the stomach for such a lengthy conflict.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/11 at 9:48 am

Fugitive Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi offers to begin talks to transfer power to the rebels, his spokesman tells the media.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/11 at 12:22 pm

Colonel Gaddafi's second wife Safia and three of her children are in Algeria, Algiers confirms

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/29/11 at 2:15 pm

During the 2008 election(and before) you were against the "Bush wars". Now you support this conflict. What's the difference? It's just a continuation of the Bush Doctrine. You referring to this conflict as a "UN invasion" is laughable. The US/NATO using a UN Resolution as a pretext for war does not make it a "UN invasion". You need a history lesson on the UN's involvement in conflicts.

The biggest accomplishment of the Obama presidency was to show how hypocritical both sides really are. Dems- War under Bush=BAD, War under Obama=GOOD  GOP- War under Bush- GOOD, War under Obama=BAD

Bush would have intervened in this situation as well. Libya is a strategic area with tons of resources. The difference is you would have been whining about this conflict if Bush were still in charge.

Now there's gonna be a power vacuum in the African region with terrorist organizations praying they can fill it, and when this so called "Arab Spring" isn't the sunshine and lollipops it was supposed to be, guess who has to walk in there and occupy it under the disguise of "spreading democracy"(oops, wrong catch phrase. Obama calls it "zones of freedom")? The United States. Now our defense budget can go from borrowing $700 billion a year to sustain it to a trillion and an already spread too thin military can twiddle their thumbs in another country while getting shot. YAY!! Obama and his cheering section win!

There's a HUGE GIGANTIC difference between supporting the rebels within a country, and invading a country and installing a military force as a replacement police force.  You want hypocrisy? The right was against "nation building" until Bush was in office, but were more than happy to begin doing just that once he was elected.  Providing air-support is not the "boots on the ground' effort of Afghanistan and Iraq. Saying that if I oppose that, I should oppose every other military action is just nonsense.

No matter how much you want to paint it as the "Bush Doctrine" it's more equivalent to supporting the UN in Bosnia.  The UN didn't invade Iraq and Afghanistan.  Those were strictly US/UK adventures. True revolutions are begun within the country by the people being oppressed, not by an outside country installing puppet governments.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/29/11 at 4:23 pm

The disgusting thing about this conflict is that we're aiding Al Qaeda in the conflict. Even Hilary had issues with this, but we cant let such small details get in the way of our mouths watering over establishing a long term presence in that vital region.

The post above also a continuation of the Bush Doctrine to a degree. Presenting warfare as something for you to cheer on like a sports game while you drink beer and eat popcorn. The destruction, loss of life, and consequences to these actions just trivial issues not to be thought of as you might choke to death on a popcorn kernel if you were to actually realize what you're cheering for. I don't blame Putin for referring to us as "parasites". He's right. If we didn't have such a large nuclear arsenal, naval armada, and our military stationed in every strategic spot on the globe, we'd get occupied and extinguished in three shakes of a lamb's tail.
One person in this thread gets it. Congrats.

We wont be going to war with them "again". It will be a continuation of the ongoing conflict, which the cheering section believes to be over but in reality has just started. Its why NATO allies started pulling out of the conflict months ago(Norway,Germany, Italy) and more allies considering it(Canada, France). They woke up and smelled the coffee, and they realized the coffee smell wasn't enforcing a UN resolution of a no fly zone to prevent the Libyan military from killing civilians but was instead the smell of occupation like Afghanistan and Iraq.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the amount of countries willing to deal with a potential long term occupation when the Gaddafi smoke clears is going to be narrowed down to one.

The beer guzzlers and popcorn munchers should be placed on the front lines when it happens.

You answered your own question in your previous sentence. Mugabe and Zimbabwe have nothing we need at the moment. As the tendrils of the US military begin digging into Africa, we may eventually see action in Sudan, Zimbabwe,etc. but it will have nothing to do with the prevention of wide scale massacres which have been occurring there for years.

You need a history lesson on Reagan's two strikes against Libya which had nothing to do with regime change or occupying Libya. Reagan with the greatest military on the planet in zero wars couldn't do what is happening now with the US in two major conflicts, up to its ass in debt, and on the verge of economic collapse?? Take your partisan glasses off.
Another closet Bush supporter. You remind me of a friend of mine in the military. He voted for Bush twice, ranted non stop about Obama during the election, then started to support him on a variety of issues. Why? Because Obama stayed the course that was set by Bush. At least he was willing to admit it.

He's not bombing Syria yet because it's not the right time. I agree it wont be easy and tensions with Russia will reach Cold War levels when we start bombing there and could quickly turn into a US-Russia proxy war, but Syria will be the next domino to fall regardless.

You're not kidding.
I agree on him being a stabilizing force in the region(just like Saddam was) and when all this is finally over it will be considered a colossal mistake.

As far as Reagan goes, while I agree he had the right to pulverize Libya in 86 had he wished to do so, the cons far outweighed the pros in doing it. He took the smart way out by doing strategic strikes to send a message and it worked at the time. Had he used the Bush/Obama doctrine of mass air strikes and possibly occupying Libya during the final years of the Cold War, it would have lit a fuse across that entire continent and we probably would have had to use everything in our military including the kitchen sink and steamroll the continent, creating a never ending quagmire. Take into account the Soviets would not have sat idle while we did this. Also take into account that during the 80s, people didn't sit around drinking and cheering on war after war after war. The American people would not have had the stomach for such a lengthy conflict.

I'm going to Karma you for this.

But don't get me wrong...I still think Bush I (Not GWB) should've ended the 1st Iraq War, and I don't like him doing that!

But someone else may agree with you...Dennis Kucinich, he even said that Bush asked Congress going to BOTH Democrats and Republicans. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/30/11 at 11:18 pm

The post above also a continuation of the Bush Doctrine to a degree. Presenting warfare as something for you to cheer on like a sports game while you drink beer and eat popcorn. The destruction, loss of life, and consequences to these actions just trivial issues not to be thought of as you might choke to death on a popcorn kernel if you were to actually realize what you're cheering for.

Karma for truth.  (And one of the best damn posts this section has seen in years.)

After the politicization of the past four administrations (Bush I, Clinton I, Bush II, Obama) and their respective wars-of-opportunity (Gulf War I, That Thing In Bosnia, Gulf War II, and Libya), I've largely stopped caring about the arguments for/against their respective wars, because the justifications for (and against) our wars have degenerated entirely to partisan bickering.  If a 100-mile asteroid were detected on a collision course for an extinction-level-event in 50 years, those asshats on the Hill would still be bickering about whether or not it was "socialism" or "part of the UN Agenda 21" to cooperate at a global level to deflect it (if a Democrat was in charge), or if it was a "giveaway to big business" and "what about the environmental impact of the launch vehicle" to build the launch vehicle (if a Republican were in charge).  

As Bill Hicks put it, "'I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs.' 'I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking.' Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!'".

So I picked up the sledgehammer, reset the moral compass to "It's OK when we're blowing up whatever the President, regardless of party, wants blown up", and grabbed the beer and popcorn.  What, you think there's a way to stop it from happening?  We're apes.  We're the damn dirty apes who blow it all up eventually.  Unless your net worth is measured in billions of dollars or millions of votes, stop wasting your time trying to fix what can't be fixed, and enjoy the ride - whether it ends in the gutter or the stars - for what it is.  

The Soviet Union was the other modern superpower that tried "keeping a lid on people" by appointing thugs to rule over satellite "republics". Their implosion in the 90s was epic.  Our attempts to impose "freedom" on Iran in the 80s, and Afghanistan and Iraq in the 00s failed just as badly.

Maybe it wasn't the intention of the Department of State, but the remnants of my moral compass still point in the general direction of "When in the course of human events it becomes necessary...", and if the Libyan or the Egyptian people choose to be our adversary in 2020, that's still a better outcome (to me) than having them as slaves of whatever thug we helped impose on them until the pot really boils over.

Written By: Tia on 08/31/11 at 12:56 pm

^it's actually kinda refreshing to see someone willing to be so openly cynical and misanthropic! well written stuff, though.

though i don't have much enthusiasm for the libyan intervention or kosovo, there DOES seem to be a difference in how republicans and democrats start and wage wars. democrats focus a lot more on air power and limited use of power, republicans seem to like to just dive in with armored divisions and just get that nice, gooey tar baby quagmire goo all over themselves. but more importantly, in both libya and kosovo there actually DOES seem to be a fair amount of evidence that an enormous massacre was either being committed or was about to be committed. in afghanistan and iraq, you really can't make that case. yes, they were both oppressive regimes, but it was the same oppressive regime we'd been dealing with just a couple years before, there wasn't some looming uptick in violence that the military action served to prevent.

that said, i do kinda share your cynicism about US foreign policy. and i agree that it's high time we start letting people around the world pursue self-determination, even if they end up making choices we don't like. our 60-year experiment with propping up friendly dictators around the world is officially a big FAIL, in my book.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/31/11 at 2:11 pm

^it's actually kinda refreshing to see someone willing to be so openly cynical and misanthropic! well written stuff, though.

though i don't have much enthusiasm for the libyan intervention or kosovo, there DOES seem to be a difference in how republicans and democrats start and wage wars. democrats focus a lot more on air power and limited use of power, republicans seem to like to just dive in with armored divisions and just get that nice, gooey tar baby quagmire goo all over themselves. but more importantly, in both libya and kosovo there actually DOES seem to be a fair amount of evidence that an enormous massacre was either being committed or was about to be committed. in afghanistan and iraq, you really can't make that case. yes, they were both oppressive regimes, but it was the same oppressive regime we'd been dealing with just a couple years before, there wasn't some looming uptick in violence that the military action served to prevent.

that said, i do kinda share your cynicism about US foreign policy. and i agree that it's high time we start letting people around the world pursue self-determination, even if they end up making choices we don't like. our 60-year experiment with propping up friendly dictators around the world is officially a big FAIL, in my book.

This is why policing the world is a bad idea for the U.S., many countries will take advantage of our ideas and history and it burns-out most of America when we do this in many ways.

Trust me on this one....

Written By: Tia on 08/31/11 at 2:16 pm

This is why policing the world is a bad idea for the U.S., many countries will take advantage of our ideas and history and it burns-out most of America when we do this in many ways.

Trust me on this one....
i actually don't think it's necessarily that bad if it's done with the UN. (i have no idea why NATO even still exists...) but that crap bush pulled with his "coalition of the willing" was ridiculous.

there are military operations i'm kinda halfway on. i think bush sr. had a point that we really didn't want to just let hussein take over kuwait. i'm glad the massacre in libya was averted and qaddafi was deposed. even still, though, i'm suspicious whenever the govt starts a war. wars are rackets.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/01/11 at 9:53 am

i actually don't think it's necessarily that bad if it's done with the UN. (i have no idea why NATO even still exists...) but that crap bush pulled with his "coalition of the willing" was ridiculous.

there are military operations i'm kinda halfway on. i think bush sr. had a point that we really didn't want to just let hussein take over kuwait. i'm glad the massacre in libya was averted and qaddafi was deposed. even still, though, i'm suspicious whenever the govt starts a war. wars are rackets.

But profitable (for some) rackets.

One more word - "real politique"

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 09/01/11 at 5:51 pm

There's a HUGE GIGANTIC difference between supporting the rebels within a country, and invading a country and installing a military force as a replacement police force. 
No there isn't, and you say that like the Libyan conflict is over and we've already left.  Wait.....supporting the rebels? That's not what this mission was supposed to be about, remember? The UN mandate was a no fly zone to prevent the mass slaughter of civilians. We weren't supposed to side with anyone. It went from a neutral stance before the bombs started dropping to blowing up everything in sight while British and US special ops(including the CIA) went in to help the rebels, who have ties to various terrorist organizations, including Al Qaeda. This is why Russia says the world was duped into this conflict and they're right. The real objective was revealed once the operation was underway.....regime change and eventual occupation, which just happen to be the two major elements of the Bush Doctrine.

You want hypocrisy? The right was against "nation building" until Bush was in office, but were more than happy to begin doing just that once he was elected.
I don't do the partisan bickering thing regarding conflict. Both sides are knee deep in this so it's pointless to do so.

Providing air-support is not the "boots on the ground' effort of Afghanistan and Iraq. 
We've done much more than just provide air support. In fact, this conflict is eerily similar to the two you mentioned above. The Iraq and Afghanistan wars started out with air strikes and special ops and CIA task forces going in and aiding and arming the resistance. Guess how the Libya conflict started? Just because we haven't sent in 100,000 ground troops yet doesn't change the fact the US has the same goal regarding Libya.

Saying that if I oppose that, I should oppose every other military action is just nonsense.
No it isn't. What's nonsense is you supporting or opposing military action based on the party of the guy calling in the air strikes. You either support US and/or NATO imperialism as it walks through the Middle East and Africa, or you don't. Simple as that. You don't get to flip flop based on who wins an election. By the way, Libya, Syria, and Somalia were all on Bush's list of countries to bomb and occupy but he simply ran out of time. Kinda funny that those three are now in Obama's sights. But according to the partisans, what's going on now has NOTHING to do with what went on the past 10 years. Yeah....sure.

No matter how much you want to paint it as the "Bush Doctrine"
I don't want to paint it as the Bush Doctrine. It IS the Bush Doctrine.

it's more equivalent to supporting the UN in Bosnia.
Wow. No it isn't. Not even close.  No offense, but you obviously know very little about the UN's involvement in conflicts and shouldn't be making these blanket statements about the UN's role in them.

The UN didn't invade Iraq and Afghanistan.
They didn't invade Bosnia or Libya either.

Those were strictly US/UK adventures.
Oh wow. Strictly?? Really? You know even less about the Afghanistan and Iraq wars than you do about the UN, which should have been impossible. The 9/11 attacks and the imminent conflict with Afghanistan were the first time in history NATO invoked Article 5 and if you don't know the significance of that, I don't know what to tell you. Just because the US and UK have a larger and superior military than other allies does not make them "US/UK adventures". If we use your logic, WWII was nothing more than a US adventure. As far as Iraq goes, they were in violation of several UN resolutions long before the war started, and the US and UK were not the only two countries to vote yes on those resolutions.

The US has the power to go it alone if/when it wants to or needs to. The US also has an uncanny ability to use UN resolutions to suit its own needs, regardless of who is in the Oval Office. We also have alliances to rely on for support, and yes the UK happens to be one of those countries. If you really think the US and UK are the only two countries that are taking part in the reshaping of the Middle East and strategic areas of Africa, I have several bridges I'd like to sell you. Is the US the "top dog" in this strategy? Of course. The only participant? NO.

You should be careful with these blanket statements of yours. Many countries have suffered casualties in these wars and since this site has international members, you may rub some people the wrong way by ignoring the deaths of friends/family/citizens of their countries in these wars as you attempt to make partisan points with extremely basic knowledge on what you're discussing.

True revolutions are begun within the country by the people being oppressed, not by an outside country installing puppet governments.
So this isn't a true revolution? Make up your mind. The Libyan rebels/terrorists were being crushed until the US/NATO intervened, set up a no fly zone, destroyed Libya's military, armed the rebels, and trying to force a new government in there and influencing allies and the UN to legitimize them.

But don't get me wrong...I still think Bush I (Not GWB) should've ended the 1st Iraq War
I agree. He had the entire world behind him and the authority to walk in and take it but he pulled back instead. While he publicly stated it was the right thing to do, privately he probably regrets it. Had he occupied Iraq, dealt with the Kurdish uprising, and properly utilized the carte blanche mandate he was given, the Clinton presidency never would have occurred. That's not a slight against Clinton either. Bush would have been reelected simply because the country would not have changed presidents while that was going on.

After the politicization of the past four administrations (Bush I, Clinton I, Bush II, Obama) and their respective wars-of-opportunity (Gulf War I, That Thing In Bosnia, Gulf War II, and Libya), I've largely stopped caring about the arguments for/against their respective wars, because the justifications for (and against) our wars have degenerated entirely to partisan bickering.I agree 100% and regarding your statement about the Soviet implosion being "epic"(which it was), the downfall of the Soviet Union is the only reason every conflict we've been in since then has been able to occur. The 1991-2011 conflicts would have been tripwires for WWIII during the Cold War, especially Bosnia/Kosovo. Soviets also never would have allowed us to sit in the sandbox and oil puddle of the Middle East indefinitely. Chucky or someone can run in here and yell "Korea! Vietnam" as a rebuttal to that but it's apples and oranges.

During the Cold War and especially during the 80s, the US built the greatest military in world history as a deterrent to the Soviets and to counteract the potential spreading of communism and once the Soviets were removed from the equation, it allowed this deterrent to become offensive in nature and permanently changed the role of the US and NATO on the world stage.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 09/01/11 at 10:06 pm

Here's an interesting article, especially for those who think the rebels are saints, that the conflict is over, and Libya will now be swimming in peaches and cream with no further bloodshed....

Note to Chucky(and others): Go read about the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group and their goals before reading the article. Even your much ballyhooed UN has them on their list of terrorist groups that need to be exterminated, which means the moment Gadaffi is truly removed from Libya and this new era of Libya begins which is being "sponsored" by the UN, Libya is in immediate violation of many UN resolutions.

In other words, a new UN resolution was used as an excuse to go into Libya under false pretenses, and when things get ugly in the aftermath, we have a handful of older UN resolutions to use as an excuse to stay.

Yet this sounds nothing like a Bush maneuver to you?  ;D  Amazing.

Rebel military chief says he was tortured by CIA

The overthrow of Gaddafi has brought together strange allies, but few stranger than Abdulhakim Belhaj, the military commander of all rebel military forces in Tripoli, and Nato. An Islamist whom Gaddafi tried to have the US list as a terrorist, Mr Belhaj says he was tortured by CIA agents after being arrested in the Far East in 2004 and later handed over by them to Colonel Gaddafi for further torture and imprisonment in Libya.

Mr Belhaj, the head of the military council for Tripoli, who led an Islamist guerrilla organisation fighting the Gaddafi regime in the 1990s, told The Independent in an interview that he had been directly "tortured by CIA agents" in Thailand after being first arrested in Malaysia.

If true, his story is evidence of the close co-operation between the CIA and Colonel Gaddafi's security services after the Libyan leader denounced the 9/11 attacks. After his stint in the hands of the CIA, Mr Belhaj was kept in Abu Salim prison in Tripoli. He says: "I was in prison for seven years during which I was subjected to torture as well as solitary confinement. I was even denied a shower for three years." Other Libyan Islamist prisoners have related how they were sometimes taken from Abu Salim to be questioned by US officials in Tripoli.

Released from prison in 2010, Mr Belhaj, who had military experience from fighting in Afghanistan against the Russians in the 1980s, became one of the most effective rebel military commanders. He is said by diplomats to have played a crucial role in the capture of Tripoli at the end of last month, and is highly regarded by the chairman of the Transitional National Council (TNC), Mustafa Abdul Jalil.

Ironically, given his claims of previous mistreatment at US hands, Mr Belhaj has emerged as one of Nato's most important allies during their air campaign in support of the rebels over the last six months. Speaking in his headquarters in the Mitiga military airbase on the eastern outskirts of Tripoli, he forcefully denied that he and the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG), which he helped found in 1995, had ever been allied to al-Qa'ida.

"We never had any link to al-Qa'ida," said Mr Belhaj, a short, soft-spoken, bearded man, who does not use a military title. "We never took part in global jihad. The fact that we were in the same country, Afghanistan, does not mean we had the same goal." He stresses that the sole aim of the LIFG was always to overthrow Gaddafi.

Despite his current close co-operation with Nato, Mr Belhaj says he finds it difficult to forgive his treatment by the CIA in the past.

When first detained at an airport in Malaysia in 2004 he says he was with his wife: "She was six months pregnant and she suffered a lot."

After a few days, CIA agents took him to Thailand as part of the notorious rendition process by which the agency transferred prisoners to countries where security forces were known to use torture. He says that in Thailand CIA agents took a direct part in his torture, though he did not give details. He says that "if I ever have the chance I will take legal action" against those responsible.

The disclosure of Libya's intelligence files may reveal embarrassing details of co-operation between the CIA and other Western intelligence agencies with Gaddafi's brutal and ruthless security services in pursuit of Islamist opponents. Mr Belhaj says that in the wake of 9/11, the US administration reacted by pursuing "any organisation with an Islamic agenda".

Mr Belhaj spent seven years in Abu Salim prison which was the site of the Gaddafi regime's most infamous atrocity, the massacre of some 1,200 prisoners in 1999, almost all of them Islamists, who had protested against conditions. The first protests which ushered in the uprising in Benghazi this February was by lawyers representing the families of the dead Abu Salim prisoners.

The Libyan prison was run with great savagery even against those whose offences were minor. Students accused of being excessively religious were stripped naked and attacked by dogs. Prisoners who survived might spend decades without seeing their families. In Abu Salim, Mr Belhaj helped write a 419-page document, published in 2009, which repudiated the Jihadi doctrine of holy war and the use of violence to change regimes. The name of the LIFG was changed to the Libyan Islamic Movement for Change. The ideological change, spurred by the failure of radical Islamic groups fighting on their own to overthrow governments, led to Islamists seeking the co-operation of more secular and liberal groups also opposed to Arab police states. It is these popular front coalitions that have won victories in Tunisia, Egypt and now Libya.

Mr Belhaj is keen to underline that he and other Islamists are not seeking to impose their agenda. He says: "The Libyan people have different views and those views will be respected." He also evidently wants to reassure Nato countries that they have not helped get rid of Gaddafi only to see a fundamentalist Islamic state replace him. He had just returned from a meeting in Doha, the capital of Qatar, which has given him significant support, where "I explained to them our vision of the future." Mustafa Abdul Jalil, chairman of the TNC, specifically says he was taken to a Nato meeting in order to reassure the West that he presented no threat.

Mr Belhaj says the thousands of militiamen from all over Libya, who owe allegiance to his Military Council, will ultimately join a new Libyan army or return to civilian life. Asked about mass round-ups of sub-Saharan Africans, often undocumented workers, accused of being mercenaries, he said he wanted harassment stopped, but many immigrants had no identity card. He added: "Last night 10 immigrants came to this base for protection and we will check their IDs and either look after them or help them leave the country."

On the whereabouts of Gaddafi, he said that the military operation room in charge of locating him had "strong information he is in Bani Walid". Saadi, one of Gaddafi's sons had phoned Mr Belhaj a few days ago "to separate himself from his father's regime" and was told that, if he surrendered himself, his safety would be guaranteed and he would receive a fair trial.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/rebel-military-chief-says-he-was-tortured-by-cia-2347912.html

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/02/11 at 9:57 am

Here is an interesting article from today's paper

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110902/OPINION03/709029943/1039/OPINION03

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/02/11 at 2:11 pm

We've done much more than just provide air support. In fact, this conflict is eerily similar to the two you mentioned above. The Iraq and Afghanistan wars started out with air strikes and special ops and CIA task forces going in and aiding and arming the resistance. Guess how the Libya conflict started? Just because we haven't sent in 100,000 ground troops yet doesn't change the fact the US has the same goal regarding Libya.

if we haven't sent in tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of troops, than guess what, it isn't the same thing.  Do we have a hundred thousand troops massing on Libya's borders waiting to march in? Not unless they're going to march through Egypt to get there.

Oh wow. Strictly?? Really? You know even less about the Afghanistan and Iraq wars than you do about the UN, which should have been impossible. The 9/11 attacks and the imminent conflict with Afghanistan were the first time in history NATO invoked Article 5 and if you don't know the significance of that, I don't know what to tell you. Just because the US and UK have a larger and superior military than other allies does not make them "US/UK adventures". If we use your logic, WWII was nothing more than a US adventure. As far as Iraq goes, they were in violation of several UN resolutions long before the war started, and the US and UK were not the only two countries to vote yes on those resolutions.

I forgot Poland right?  I'll ignore your insult thanks. The US/UK sent in not just the most troops, but almost ALL the troops.  Percentage wise the country sending the third largest amount of troops didn't even come close to sending a significant number of it's own troops, let alone a significant percentage of the troops on the ground. but hey, prove me wrong on that one. I'm not even going to look up the numbers or remember who it was because it's not worth the time to google.  The size of the contribution was that small.  Sorry they lost people fighting and all, but hey Bush bribed them all quite well to send the troops in the first place.

The US has the power to go it alone if/when it wants to or needs to. The US also has an uncanny ability to use UN resolutions to suit its own needs, regardless of who is in the Oval Office. We also have alliances to rely on for support, and yes the UK happens to be one of those countries. If you really think the US and UK are the only two countries that are taking part in the reshaping of the Middle East and strategic areas of Africa, I have several bridges I'd like to sell you. Is the US the "top dog" in this strategy? Of course. The only participant? NO.

I'm not the only one making blanket statements here. I don't think the US/UK is the only one shaping the politics of the mid-east. I also don't think the US can go it alone anymore with a significant amount of troops still deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan in fighting third/forth/fifth wars. That's what the UN and NATO is for. That's why these countries are supposed to work together. 

You should be careful with these blanket statements of yours. Many countries have suffered casualties in these wars and since this site has international members, you may rub some people the wrong way by ignoring the deaths of friends/family/citizens of their countries in these wars as you attempt to make partisan points with extremely basic knowledge on what you're discussing.

Yes they did, and they should be angry with their own governments for accepting huge kickbacks to send in their troops to fight in these wars.  Just the threat of losing military "aid" is enough for these countries to send in token amounts.

So this isn't a true revolution? Make up your mind. The Libyan rebels/terrorists were being crushed until the US/NATO intervened, set up a no fly zone, destroyed Libya's military, armed the rebels, and trying to force a new government in there and influencing allies and the UN to legitimize them.

I don't need to make up my mind here.  How did we start the revolution here?  Bush didn't do it, Obama didn't do it, the Libyan rebels did.  The fact that they needed support from US/NATO doesn't matter, they started it.  I guess the American revolution would be illegitimate in your eyes since France supported the rebels in that war too.

I agree 100% and regarding your statement about the Soviet implosion being "epic"(which it was), the downfall of the Soviet Union is the only reason every conflict we've been in since then has been able to occur. The 1991-2011 conflicts would have been tripwires for WWIII during the Cold War, especially Bosnia/Kosovo. Soviets also never would have allowed us to sit in the sandbox and oil puddle of the Middle East indefinitely. Chucky or someone can run in here and yell "Korea! Vietnam" as a rebuttal to that but it's apples and oranges.

During the Cold War and especially during the 80s, the US built the greatest military in world history as a deterrent to the Soviets and to counteract the potential spreading of communism and once the Soviets were removed from the equation, it allowed this deterrent to become offensive in nature and permanently changed the role of the US and NATO on the world stage.

yeah. I totally forgot how the US NEVER invaded smaller countries during the Soviet years.  Aside from Korea and Vietnam there were still plenty of small wars waged, even the ones "Saint Regan" "forgot" about fighting off the books.  Bosnia/Kosovo would have never been tripwires, because the Soviet Union would have never allowed the wars to start in the first place.  That's a red herring.

the lessons of the Cold War is a that huge military can easily bankrupt a country, Regan nearly bankrupt the US while helping the USRR bankrupt itself in trying to keep up.  Those lessons are forgotten as Bush was more than happy to ramp up the spending on the military after Clinton cut it way back.  Why do you think the military hates the Dems?  They remember the lean years on the 1990s when base closures were a routine occurrence. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/02/11 at 2:13 pm

Here is an interesting article from today's paper

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110902/OPINION03/709029943/1039/OPINION03

that's only for subscribers.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 09/03/11 at 12:12 am

if we haven't sent in tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of troops, than guess what, it isn't the same thing.  Do we have a hundred thousand troops massing on Libya's borders waiting to march in? Not unless they're going to march through Egypt to get there. 
We don't have to send in the exact amount of ground troops as previous wars this decade for the current conflict to be a continuation of our strategy.

Also, you still don't seem to realize that the conflict isn't over yet.

If you think the only way to get boots on the ground in Libya is through Egypt, I got another bridge to sell you.

We didn't have troops "massing" on Afghanistan's borders either. The inclusion of ground troops was very gradual over the course of months after the conflict started. If/when US troops enter Libya(I'm excluding CIA/Special Ops already there), a similar strategy likely to be used.

I forgot Poland right?It's funny yet insulting how you continue to minimize the contributions and sacrifices of other nations.

By the way, you forgot about 40 other countries as well.

I'll ignore your insult thanks. I've never insulted you. Stating that you know very little on some of these matters isn't an insult. It's a fact, and you continue to prove my statement correct with each post.

The US/UK sent in not just the most troops, but almost ALL the troops.  Percentage wise the country sending the third largest amount of troops didn't even come close to sending a significant number of it's own troops, let alone a significant percentage of the troops on the ground. but hey, prove me wrong on that one.The Afghanistan conflict had around 140,000 troops. The US had 80,000 on the ground if memory serves me correctly.  You trying to minimize all other countries involved doesn't change facts. Even if a country only sends 100 troops, it is still a vital contribution and even IF a symbolic token of goodwill, is something that should be considered a good thing and not considered an irrelevant footnote like you want it to be.

I'm not even going to look up the numbers or remember who it was because it's not worth the time to google. Trust me, no one will ever accuse you of reading a book or even searching for knowledge on these subjects. Your posts hammered that point home long ago. At least you're starting to admit that you post about these topics with little knowledge and zero desire to attain any.

Sorry they lost people fighting and all, but hey Bush bribed them all quite well to send the troops in the first place.Wow.

I don't think the US/UK is the only one shaping the politics of the mid-east.Flip flopping again already?

I also don't think the US can go it alone anymore with a significant amount of troops still deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan in fighting third/forth/fifth wars.Obviously we are stretched very thin and I think ANY war(including Libya) is a mistake until we completely wrap up the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, but those two countries will always have a US presence(even if limited in scope). In the event of a more intense Libya conflict requiring a larger US presence and/or a conflict in Syria or Iran, there are still plenty of US troops that can be used if they're needed. It would be a huge mistake though as troops would have to be redeployed from other areas of the globe including the US, and its not wise to have all your military in one specific region.

That's what the UN and NATO is for.Jesus. We're about to reach the point where I'm willing to pay you to read a book on the history of the United Nations, and now NATO as well.

NATO is supposed to be a defensive alliance used as a deterrent from a Soviet/Russian invasion. It only becomes offensive when one of its members is attacked. While it's role in the world is changing obviously, it's purpose is not to pick up US slack to enter war after war after war and continue the Bush/Obama doctrine. Its hilarious that you feel this way about the alliance because every other sentence you post is insulting towards NATO countries, other allies, and the citizens of these countries that help the US in conflicts, yet you believe their role is to help the US fight a series of wars.

I don't need to make up my mind here.  How did we start the revolution here?  Bush didn't do it, Obama didn't do it, the Libyan rebels did. A terrorist organization creating instability isn't a real revolution. Had this occurred in any other country where the US/NATO weren't licking its chops, the uprising would have been extinguished immediately and the "rebels" would not have been looked upon as saints. Outside countries would have been opposed to what was occurring on the ground. I'm not defending Gaddafi either. His handling of it was disgusting as he basically took a scorched earth policy. If you're interested in defending the "Arab Spring", Libya is the LAST country to use as an example when doing so.

If an Al Qaeda linked terrorist group started a "revolution" anywhere else, we would have been bombing the rebels instead of arming them.

Yes they did, and they should be angry with their own governments for accepting huge kickbacks to send in their troops to fight in these wars.  Just the threat of losing military "aid" is enough for these countries to send in token amounts.Do you even read what you type?

yeah. I totally forgot how the US NEVER invaded smaller countries during the Soviet years.  Aside from Korea and Vietnam there were still plenty of small wars waged, even the ones "Saint Regan" "forgot" about fighting off the books.You also forgot how it's apples and oranges.

Bosnia/Kosovo would have never been tripwires, because the Soviet Union would have never allowed the wars to start in the first place.  That's a red herring.Proving you don't know the meaning of the words tripwire and red herring.

Regan nearly bankrupt the USOh God. Reagan presided over one of the biggest economic booms in our history. Yes he used blank checks to fund the military creating some hefty deficits but to insinuate he nearly bankrupted us is just pure nonsense.

Why do you think the military hates the Dems?  They remember the lean years on the 1990s when base closures were a routine occurrence. The infamous base closures actually started during the Bush I presidency. The CA valley went into an uproar when Castle Air Base was on the chopping block, and that was one of many.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/03/11 at 9:55 am

that's only for subscribers.

Sorry about that.  It was by Nicholas Kristoff, about how grateful Libyans are for U.S. help.  For now, at least, they love us.

Written By: Claybricks on 09/03/11 at 10:21 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv8tVxk6Nj4&feature=related

and the moral of the story is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTq-Vden5SY

Dan

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/05/11 at 1:25 am

and the moral of the story is...

Hey, so we got away with something once.  Once.

And one of their guys got away with something once.  Once.

Call it even.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 09/05/11 at 4:20 pm

Libyan rebel commander admits his fighters have al-Qaeda links

Abdel-Hakim al-Hasidi, the Libyan rebel leader, has said jihadists who fought against allied troops in Iraq are on the front lines of the battle against Muammar Gaddafi's regime.

In an interview with the Italian newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore, Mr al-Hasidi admitted that he had recruited "around 25" men from the Derna area in eastern Libya to fight against coalition troops in Iraq. Some of them, he said, are "today are on the front lines in Adjabiya".

Mr al-Hasidi insisted his fighters "are patriots and good Muslims, not terrorists," but added that the "members of al-Qaeda are also good Muslims and are fighting against the invader".

His revelations came even as Idriss Deby Itno, Chad's president, said al-Qaeda had managed to pillage military arsenals in the Libyan rebel zone and acquired arms, "including surface-to-air missiles, which were then smuggled into their sanctuaries".

Mr al-Hasidi admitted he had earlier fought against "the foreign invasion" in Afghanistan, before being "captured in 2002 in Peshwar, in Pakistan". He was later handed over to the US, and then held in Libya before being released in 2008.

US and British government sources said Mr al-Hasidi was a member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, or LIFG, which killed dozens of Libyan troops in guerrilla attacks around Derna and Benghazi in 1995 and 1996.

Even though the LIFG is not part of the al-Qaeda organisation, the United States military's West Point academy has said the two share an "increasingly co-operative relationship". In 2007, documents captured by allied forces from the town of Sinjar, showed LIFG emmbers made up the second-largest cohort of foreign fighters in Iraq, after Saudi Arabia.

Earlier this month, al-Qaeda issued a call for supporters to back the Libyan rebellion, which it said would lead to the imposition of "the stage of Islam" in the country.

British Islamists have also backed the rebellion, with the former head of the banned al-Muhajiroun proclaiming that the call for "Islam, the Shariah and jihad from Libya" had "shaken the enemies of Islam and the Muslims more than the tsunami that Allah sent against their friends, the Japanese".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8407047/Libyan-rebel-commander-admits-his-fighters-have-al-Qaeda-links.html

---------------------------

This war and the reasons behind it gets uglier as more info comes out about what's really going on there. One thing is for sure, the "war on terror" is evolving as the west continues its rampage of the Middle East and Africa. We're now willing to support, arm, and have as an ally an organization that played a role in us starting the Afghanistan and Iraq wars and of course killing thousands on 9/11 and on those two battlefields as long as they can help us in specific conflicts. We'll fight them on one or two war fronts yet aid them on another.

Had this happened on Bush's watch, there would have been demands from the partisan hacks that he be impeached for treason. Obama gets a pat on the back instead. Go figure.

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

oh noes!1!!
"oh noes!1!!" indeed....

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/11 at 2:26 pm

One of the sons of the fugitive Libyan leader, Col Muammar Gaddafi, has arrived in neighbouring Niger.

Niger's justice minister said Saadi Gaddafi had been in a convoy which was heading towards the capital, Niamey.

Col Gaddafi's whereabouts are unknown. He has said he will die in Libya.

Anti-Gaddafi troops now control most of Libyan territory, including the capital Tripoli. They have been trying to seize several cities controlled by loyalists, including Bani Walid and Sirte.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/13/11 at 12:02 am

Col Gaddafi's whereabouts are unknown. He has said he will die in Libya.

Rebels:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpqbjqV2Rd1qajstn.jpg

:)

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 09/18/11 at 4:32 am

SIRTE, Libya (AP) — Revolutionary fighters struggled to make gains in an assault into Gadhafi's hometown Saturday with bloody street-by-street battles against loyalist forces fiercely defending the most symbolic of the shattered regime's remaining strongholds.

The fresh attack into the Mediterranean coastal city of Sirte contrasted with a stalemate in the mountain enclave of Bani Walid where demoralized anti-Gadhafi forces tried to regroup after being beaten back by loyalist snipers and gunners holding strategic high ground.

Intense resistance has stalled forces of Libya's new leadership trying to crush the dug-in fighters loyal to Gadhafi, weeks after the former rebels swept into Tripoli on Aug. 21 and pushed the country's leader out of power and into hiding. Sirte and Bani Walid are the main bastions of backers of the old regime in Libya's coastal plain, but smaller holdouts remain in the deserts of the center of the country — and another major stronghold, Sabha, lies in the deep south.

The resistance has raised fears of a protracted insurgency of the sort that has played out in Iraq and Afghanistan, even as the transitional government tries to establish its authority and move toward eventual elections.

A military spokesman for the transitional government said revolutionaries do not know Gadhafi's location.

Col. Ahmed Omar Bani pointed to the still uncollected bounty of nearly $2 million that the new leadership has put on the fugitive leader's head, saying, "Up to now we don't have any certain information or intelligence about his whereabouts."

Columns of black smoke rose over Sirte, as revolutionary fighters backed by heavy machine guns and rockets tried to push through crowded residential areas in the city. They claimed to have gained less than a mile into the city, along the main coastal highway leading in from the west.

The forces were met by a rain of gunfire , rockets and mortars. A field hospital set up outside Sirte at a gas station filled with wounded fighters, including some from a convoy hit by a rocket-propelled grenade. Twenty-four anti-Gadhafi fighters were killed and 54 wouneed in the day's battles, the military council from the nearby city of Misrata reported.

The pro-regime radio station in Sirte repeatedly aired a recorded message it said was from Gadhafi, urging the city's defenders to fight on. "You must resist fiercely. You must kick them out of Sirte," the voice said. "If they get inside Sirte, they are going to rape the women." The voice resembled Gadhafi's but its authenticity could not be confirmed.

Gadhafi's spokesman, Moussa Ibrahim, vowed, "We have the ability to continue this resistance for months," in a phone call Friday to Syrian-based Al-Rai TV, which has become the mouthpiece for the former regime.

The conditions inside Sirte were reportedly growing increasingly dire for those caught in the crossfire. Nouri Abu Bakr, a 42-year-old teacher fleeing the city, said there is no electricity or medicine and food supplies are nearly exhausted.

"Gadhafi gave all the people weapons, but those fighting are the Gadhafi brigade of loyalists," he said.

Hassan Dourai, Sirte representative in the new government's interim government, said fighters reported seeing one of Gadhafi's son, Muatassim, shortly before the offensives began Friday, but he has not been spotted since the battles intensified. The whereabouts of Gadhafi and several of his sons remain unknown. Other family members have fled to neighboring Algeria and Niger.

Most of the hundreds of fighters assaulting Sirte are from Misrata, a city to the northwest along the coast that held out for weeks against a brutal Gadhafi siege during the civil war. Revolutionary commanders were trying to open a second front into Sirte, from the east. They said they were trying to reach a surrender deal with elders in most of the Harawa region, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) east of Sirte, to open a possible new pathway — but fighting was reported in the area Saturday, suggesting efforts were stalled.

The other stronghold of Bani Walid, 150 miles (250 kilometers) east of Sirte, has proven even more difficult for the forces of the new regime. The fighters withdrew Friday after facing withering sniper fire and shelling from loyalist units.

The loyalists hold the strategic high ground along the ridges overlooking a desert valley called Wadi Zeitoun that divides the city between northern and southern sections. From there, they could bloody the fighters trying to move down through the northern half of the city and into the valley, which is irrigated with olive groves. The terrain has made the city a historical hold-out: In the early 20th century, Italian forces occupying Libya struggled to take Bani Walid.

"This may be the worst front Libya will see," said fighter Osama Al-Fassi, who joined other former rebels gathered at a feed factory outside the city's northern edge, where they drank coffee and took target practice at plastic bottles.

On Saturday evening, Gadhafi forces blasted fighters at the northern entrance with snipers and mortar fire, prompting the revolutionary forces to battle their way in once again in an unplanned advance, said Bilqassim el-Imami, one of the fighters. They made their way back to the edge of Wadi Zeitoun amid heavy fire with anti-aircraft machine guns.

A 50-year-old civil servant fleeing Bani Walild with his family, Ismail Mohammed, described the pro-Gadhafi forces as "too strong" inside Bani Walid and suggested a generational divide between young people strongly behind the uprising and older Libyans often more cautious about whether the revolutionary forces can bring stability.

"The youth wanted this revolution and sometimes you can't control your own son," he said.

In Libya's southern desert, hundreds of revolutionary fighters were negotiating with villagers in the still pro-Gadhafi region to surrender peacefully. The fighters left the captured Bani Jalloud air base and rolled through villages where they reached truces. Along the route, crowds cheered their arrival and flashed V-for-victory signs. But in one village, Ayoun, they came under fire, prompting a heavy gunbattle in which one fighter was killed.

Col. Bashir Awidat said they seek to secure the surrounding hinterlands before moving against Sabha, the main southern urban center about 400 miles (650 kilometers) south of Tripoli. He said the villagers had been isolated and believed Gadhafi's propaganda.

"They think that we'll raid their houses and rob them. The media coverage here has been bad for 42 years and it has trained people to think a certain way, and that will take time to change," he told The Associated Press at the captured air base.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/18/ap/middleeast/main20107834.shtml

---------------------------------------

How al-Qaeda got to rule in Tripoli

His name is Abdelhakim Belhaj. Some in the Middle East might have, but few in the West and across the world would have heard of him.

Time to catch up. Because the story of how an al-Qaeda asset turned out to be the top Libyan military commander in still war-torn Tripoli is bound to shatter - once again - that wilderness of mirrors that is the "war on terror", as well as deeply compromising the carefully constructed propaganda of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization's (NATO's) "humanitarian" intervention in Libya.

Muammar Gaddafi's fortress of Bab-al-Aziziyah was essentially invaded and conquered last week by Belhaj's men - who were at the forefront of a militia of Berbers from the mountains southwest of Tripoli. The militia is the so-called Tripoli Brigade, trained in secret for two months by US Special Forces. This turned out to be the rebels' most effective militia in six months of tribal/civil war.
Already last Tuesday, Belhaj was gloating on how the battle was won, with Gaddafi forces escaping "like rats" (note that's the same metaphor used by Gaddafi himself to designate the rebels).

Abdelhakim Belhaj, aka Abu Abdallah al-Sadek, is a Libyan jihadi. Born in May 1966, he honed his skills with the mujahideen in the 1980s anti-Soviet jihad in Afghanistan.

He's the founder of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG) and its de facto emir - with Khaled Chrif and Sami Saadi as his deputies. After the Taliban took power in Kabul in 1996, the LIFG kept two training camps in Afghanistan; one of them, 30 kilometers north of Kabul - run by Abu Yahya - was strictly for al-Qaeda-linked jihadis.

After 9/11, Belhaj moved to Pakistan and also to Iraq, where he befriended none other than ultra-nasty Abu Musab al-Zarqawi - all this before al-Qaeda in Iraq pledged its allegiance to Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri and turbo-charged its gruesome practices.

In Iraq, Libyans happened to be the largest foreign Sunni jihadi contingent, only losing to the Saudis. Moreover, Libyan jihadis have always been superstars in the top echelons of "historic" al-Qaeda - from Abu Faraj al-Libi (military commander until his arrest in 2005, now lingering as one of 16 high-value detainees in the US detention center at Guantanamo) to Abu al-Laith al-Libi (another military commander, killed in Pakistan in early 2008).

Time for an extraordinary rendition
The LIFG had been on the US Central Intelligence Agency's radars since 9/11. In 2003, Belhaj was finally arrested in Malaysia - and then transferred, extraordinary rendition-style, to a secret Bangkok prison, and duly tortured.

In 2004, the Americans decided to send him as a gift to Libyan intelligence - until he was freed by the Gaddafi regime in March 2010, along with other 211 "terrorists", in a public relations coup advertised with great fanfare.

The orchestrator was no less than Saif Islam al-Gaddafi - the modernizing/London School of Economics face of the regime. LIFG's leaders - Belhaj and his deputies Chrif and Saadi - issued a 417-page confession dubbed "corrective studies" in which they declared the jihad against Gaddafi over (and illegal), before they were finally set free.

A fascinating account of the whole process can be seen in a report called "Combating Terrorism in Libya through Dialogue and Reintegration". Note that the authors, Singapore-based terrorism "experts" who were wined and dined by the regime, express the "deepest appreciation to Saif al-Islam Gaddafi and the Gaddafi International Charity and Development Foundation for making this visit possible".

Crucially, still in 2007, then al-Qaeda's number two, Zawahiri, officially announced the merger between the LIFG and al-Qaeda in the Islamic Mahgreb (AQIM). So, for all practical purposes, since then, LIFG/AQIM have been one and the same - and Belhaj was/is its emir.

In 2007, LIFG was calling for a jihad against Gaddafi but also against the US and assorted Western "infidels".

Fast forward to last February when, a free man, Belhaj decided to go back into jihad mode and align his forces with the engineered uprising in Cyrenaica.

Every intelligence agency in the US, Europe and the Arab world knows where he's coming from. He's already made sure in Libya that himself and his militia will only settle for sharia law.

There's nothing "pro-democracy" about it - by any stretch of the imagination. And yet such an asset could not be dropped from NATO's war just because he was not very fond of "infidels".

The late July killing of rebel military commander General Abdel Fattah Younis - by the rebels themselves - seems to point to Belhaj or at least people very close to him.

It's essential to know that Younis - before he defected from the regime - had been in charge of Libya's special forces fiercely fighting the LIFG in Cyrenaica from 1990 to 1995.

The Transitional National Council (TNC), according to one of its members, Ali Tarhouni, has been spinning Younis was killed by a shady brigade known as Obaida ibn Jarrah (one of the Prophet Mohammed's companions). Yet the brigade now seems to have dissolved into thin air.

Shut up or I'll cut your head off
Hardly by accident, all the top military rebel commanders are LIFG, from Belhaj in Tripoli to one Ismael as-Salabi in Benghazi and one Abdelhakim al-Assadi in Derna, not to mention a key asset, Ali Salabi, sitting at the core of the TNC. It was Salabi who negotiated with Saif al-Islam Gaddafi the "end" of LIFG's jihad, thus assuring the bright future of these born-again "freedom fighters".

It doesn't require a crystal ball to picture the consequences of LIFG/AQIM - having conquered military power and being among the war "winners" - not remotely interested in relinquishing control just to please NATO's whims.

Meanwhile, amid the fog of war, it's unclear whether Gaddafi is planning to trap the Tripoli brigade in urban warfare; or to force the bulk of rebel militias to enter the huge Warfallah tribal areas.

Gaddafi's wife belongs to the Warfallah, Libya's largest tribe, with up to 1 million people and 54 sub-tribes. The inside word in Brussels is that NATO expects Gaddafi to fight for months if not years; thus the Texas George W Bush-style bounty on his head and the desperate return to NATO's plan A, which was always to take him out.

Libya may now be facing the specter of a twin-headed guerrilla Hydra; Gaddafi forces against a weak TNC central government and NATO boots on the ground; and the LIFG/AQIM nebula in a jihad against NATO (if they are sidelined from power).

Gaddafi may be a dictatorial relic of the past, but you don't monopolize power for four decades for nothing, and without your intelligence services learning a thing or two.

From the beginning, Gaddafi said this was a foreign-backed/al-Qaeda operation; he was right (although he forgot to say this was above all neo-Napoleonic French President Nicolas Sarkozy's war, but that's another story).

He also said this was a prelude for a foreign occupation whose target was to privatize and take over Libya's natural resources. He may - again – turn out to be right.

The Singapore "experts" who praised the Gaddafi regime's decision to free the LIFG's jihadis qualified it as "a necessary strategy to mitigate the threat posed to Libya".

Now, LIFG/AQIM is finally poised to exercise its options as an "indigenous political force".

Ten years after 9/11, it's hard not to imagine a certain decomposed skull in the bottom of the Arabian Sea boldly grinning to kingdom come.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/middle_east/mh30ak01.html

------------------------------------------------

Libya: al-Qaeda acquires weapons

Al-Qaeda's north African branch has acquired a stockpile of weapons in Libya, including surface-to-air missiles that are threatening air travel, the EU's counter-terrorism coordinator said on Monday.

Due to the turmoil in Libya, members of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb have "gained access to weapons, either small arms or machine-guns, or certain surface-to-air missiles which are extremely dangerous because they pose a risk to flights over the territory," said Gilles de Kerchove.

At a news conference marking the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in the United States, Mr de Kerchove said that while the threat of strikes by mainstream al-Qaeda followers had decreased, AQIM was taking root both on the Arab peninsula and in Africa, posing a mounting threat.

"It is a group that is Africanising and seeking to extend its area of influence," he said.

Like other al-Qaeda affiliates in Pakistan and elsewhere, AQIM had gained support among locals by using ransom money and possibly drug-related income to fund social services unavailable from cash-strapped African governments.

It had extended its area of action from northern Niger, Mali and Mauritania to northern Nigeria and as far south as Senegal, he said.

To put a brake on any further extension of its influence, European Union nations needed to help African countries such as Chad and Niger to reintegrate the hundreds of thousands of migrant workers who have fled home from Libya in the past months. Mali alone faced the return of 210,000 people, he said.

Plans were under way also to aid information-gathering and counterterror centres in Algeria and Mauritania, and to back Malian efforts to redeploy seven to 10 military bases in its remote barren north as well as provide basic services for the population there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/al-qaeda/8743276/Libya-al-Qaeda-acquires-weapons.html

---------------------------------------------------

Libyan conflict thrusts Niger into unwelcome spotlight

On street KK49 of Africa's most impoverished capital, one of Libya's most wanted stands in a blue pin-striped shirt surrounded by a clutch of state security guards provided by a nervous government.

At home an ignominious end beckons for many of Col Muammar Gaddafi's henchman but in neighbouring Niger one of the most feared is quietly taking a sunset stroll on hot September evening.

Mansour Dao was until a few weeks ago widely loathed as the head of Col Muammar Gaddafi personal security retinue. Now he is residing in Niamey, the capital of neighbouring Niger, free to come and go as he pleases - his presence just one of a host of challenges facing Libya's neighbours.

While The Sunday Telegraph was able to see Mr Dao, it was impossible to talk to the middle-aged functionary with a Byrlcreem quiff. The security cordon keeps him unmolested as just another relatively cossetted resident of the diplomatic district that includes KK49.

As a former political prisoner, Marou Amadou, the country's youthful justice minister, is no stranger to the stains of politics. But as he sits on a leatherette couch in his office just a mile from Mr Dao, the stress of the "affaire Libya" is clearly telling.

"When I am tired my English doesn't come, please forgive me for speaking in French," he said.

"Libya has put the stability of our country in danger and the international pressure on us is great. We wish to act according to our international obligations but there are many issues at stake that the world does not recognise as a result of the fallout from what has happened in Libya."

The flight of a trio of top flight generals, including Mr Dao, and Col Muammar Gaddafi's third son, Saadi into Niger through an undefended border has pitched the vast, fragile country into an unwelcome spotlight.

But as diplomatic pressure for the arrest and return of the group grows, Niger is struggling with a host of dangers emanating from Libya. Terrorists groups have rearmed in the chaos of the conflict and fled south. Separatist fighters who served as Gaddafi's mercenaries have returned disgruntled and hostile.

A desert patrol by the Niger army stumbled into a fierce firefight with al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) fighters armed to the teeth with weapons plundered from Libyan arsenals on Thursday. One soldier and three Islamic fighters were killed in the clashes.

On top of this the country ranked the world's poorest by the UN Development Index must absorb 200,000 migrant workers displaced from Libya since the uprising against the Gaddafi regime.

Less than two years ago, Mr Amadou languished in the foreboding Koutoukalé high security prison after the military junta running Niger ordered his detention for "managing an undeclared organisation".

He was then praised as brave activist campaigning for democracy in a vast desert state that struggled with a history of coups and famines since independence from France in 1962.

Democratic elections installed Mr Amadou as a high flyer in a reformist government just in March. Clémence Hérault-Delanoe, a French lawyer, serves in a sweltering room down the corridor from his office as his human right's advisor.

Now he finds himself treading a narrow path to explain why Niger has defied international pressure – or at least that of its Western backers – by refusing to arrest and return Saadi and leading henchmen to face justice in Free Libya.

Libya's interim authorities accuse Mr Dao of being the leading butcher in Col Gaddafi's purges of his domestic opponents.

In particular, he accused of commanding the 1996 massacre of 1,200 prisoners, most Islamic political detainees, at Tripoli's Abu Saleem prison. After a failed revolt the prisoners were locked in the building to be systematically shot and blow up by soldiers under Mr Dao.

Niger is defensive about the latitude it has allowed the small gang of loyalist who have pitched up in the country. Saadi is under government guard at Villa Verte, a sprawling compound overlooking the Niger River, next to the presidential palace. Two other generals and 32 others are housed at an equally salubrious residence further along Avenue de la Republic, the main boulevard in Niamey.

But Mr Dao has been allowed to move to his own property in KK49. There he lives in semi-open comfort. He can travel to local market and visit Nigerien friends.

Despite the unmade road the area is the Holland Park of Niamey, a city were children openly defecate on the rubbish by the sides of the roads.

"We cannot ignore humanitarian law and return these people who have arrived in out country to Libya where they face the threat of death," said Mr Amadou.

"We offer them protection but we are willing to allow the International Court to question them if there are charges against them."

A deadly game of cat and mouse in the open stretches of the Sahara desert between Libya and Niger has erupted since the Tripoli regime shattered. Poor and failing states have looked on with horror as AQIM has rearmed by smuggling guns, explosives and missiles from the looted arsenals throw open as rebels overthrew the regime.

The scale of threat to the region from Libyan arms forced America to issue a warning to oil firms that AQIM were actively planning to use newly acquired shoulder fired surface to air missiles to target flights servicing the desert.

The US embassy in Algiers said it firm intelligence that Gaddafi's stock of weapons were part of an emerging plot against the industry, which produces much of the region's wealth.

US security services have concluded AQIM was preparing to carry out such attacks after acquiring a larrge number" of Sam 5 and Sam 7 missiles it planned to use to attack planes carrying staff from foreign firms, "particularly British and American."In a small city, the effects of the remote ambush on Thursday night were felt within hours.

Niger and other threatened Sahara states warn they are unequal to the explosion of terrorist activity predicted by local and Western officials.

"Niger would but can't fight this, Mali can't and won't, Mauritania will but can't and Algeria can but won't take on AQIM outside its borders," one Western diplomat said during a security conference in Algeria earlier this month. "It's a perfect storm."

Gen Carter Ham, the US general who heads Africa Command, last week warned that the vulnerability of the Sahara states and al-Qaeda's windfall of weapons would be felt from Somalia to Nigeria.

"If left unaddressed, then you could have a network that ranges from East Africa through the centre and into the and Mahgreb, and I think that would be very, very worrying," he said.

Niger, a poor place of which the world has cared little, has become the unwitting victim of a conflict that has opened the floodgates to chaos across Saharan Africa.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/niger/8771182/Libyan-conflict-thrusts-Niger-into-unwelcome-spotlight.html

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/18/11 at 3:20 pm

Don't say I didn't warn y'all about the outcome of this Libya thang.

A few weeks ago, my company hired a guy who just retired from the United States Marines, a high ranking dude who has had diplomatic and operational assignments across the globe (including the Iraq and Afghanistan theatres) for the past 30 years, including fairly recent service in North Africa.  Solid guy, we hired him because our company needed somebody with experience in leadership and a disciplined approach.

His assessment?  Same as mine.  "Quadaffi was a true A-hole in the past, but for the past 6 or 7 years he was one of few stabilizing forces in Africa.  We screwed this thing up," says he.

When I asked him how he would have handled the admittedly-difficult situation, he said that "We should have stayed out of it and then let the chips fall where they may... then deal with whatever the aftermath would be."  He, like I, sees the Western approach to North Africa as counterproductive and against the interests of both the West as well as stability and security on the continent.

His assessment of Egypt is much the same.

The present crowing about how the USA succeeded in its Libya strategy is analogous to Bush II's "Mission Accomplished" debacle. When Libya turns into a complete turd-pile and starts inciting trouble outside its borders, it will not be amusing to see the promoters of the intervention (from both sides of the aisle, mind you) claim that it wasn't their fault. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/18/11 at 4:28 pm

Quadaffi might have been a stabilizing force for seven years.  He might have gone on to be a stabilizing force for another seven years.  The problem with an idiosyncratic dictator is the state gets tied up in his identity.  Hence, there is no way to peacefully transfer power from Quaddafi.  Same with Saddam.  His sons would have tried to take over after his death, but eventually the government would fall apart.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/20/11 at 11:06 pm

The present crowing about how the USA succeeded in its Libya strategy is analogous to Bush II's "Mission Accomplished" debacle. When Libya turns into a complete turd-pile and starts inciting trouble outside its borders, it will not be amusing to see the promoters of the intervention (from both sides of the aisle, mind you) claim that it wasn't their fault. ::)

Maybe so.  But for those of us who aren't rabid partisans - it may be 8 years too late to do anything about it, but yeah, OK, I'll fess up.

I supported and even profited off the Iraq invasion.  For the record, and with respect to any Jackasses in the audience, yup, I wuz wrong.  The invasion of Iraq took far longer, and cost America (and my trading account, because I failed to correctly call the Crash of 2008 after Bush II's "Go to the mall!" bubble that came in response to 9/11) far more than the friggin' country was ever worth.

The irony of Iraq is that the oil companies who were supposed to be the beneficiaries of the war, ended up having relatively little to show for it, which is where the Jackasses got Iraq wrong.  The oil may have been the only asset worth seizing, but that wasn't where the money was made.  The real money wasn't made - it was spent.  Spent by shoveling of trillions of dollars from taxpayers towards zero-ROI projects lobbied for by defense contractors, security camera operators, and TSA nude-o-scope vendors.  Say what you will about "blood for oil", but at least oil can be pumped out of the ground by US oil companies who would have upgraded Iraq's crappy oil infrastructure and paid some taxes on the profits.  If you're a government, that's a good business proposition if you win the war and GTFO by 2004.  But we didn't win the war - we didn't even try - we just let it drag on until the present day.  The oil turned was just an excuse to the point that we actually let the Iraqis keep it, so long as the gravy train of contracts could keep rolling.  The money was printed out of thin air on promises to the Chinese that future taxpayers would be good for it.

If we're still dealing with similar fallout from the Arab Spring in 2015, I'll gladly hang my head in shame and make a similar concession to the Elephants.  Especially since I didn't even make a penny off Libya, despite what it did to the crack spread which widened greatly as the spread between Brent/WTI opened up.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/21/11 at 5:54 pm

Well I won't criticize what you did with the crack spread.

What one does in the privacy of their own home is not of interest to me.  ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/22/11 at 10:26 pm

Well I won't criticize what you did with the crack spread.

What one does in the privacy of their own home is not of interest to me.  ;)

Karma.  For a hilarious time, do a google image search of "crack spread".  90% of the images will be of charts linked from financial blogs.  The other 10%... exactly what you expect :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/11 at 10:41 pm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_N2EyyrA_LPs/RvxLmpbvMBI/AAAAAAAAAKY/tyelQgxUBFE/s320/crackspread2.jpg

Talk about diversified assets portfolio!

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 09/25/11 at 2:52 pm

Don't say I didn't warn y'all about the outcome of this Libya thang.

A few weeks ago, my company hired a guy who just retired from the United States Marines, a high ranking dude who has had diplomatic and operational assignments across the globe (including the Iraq and Afghanistan theatres) for the past 30 years, including fairly recent service in North Africa.  Solid guy, we hired him because our company needed somebody with experience in leadership and a disciplined approach.

His assessment?  Same as mine.  "Quadaffi was a true A-hole in the past, but for the past 6 or 7 years he was one of few stabilizing forces in Africa.  We screwed this thing up," says he.
I agree. I'd love to see our military's scenarios for this region. If the public and especially those with sons/daughters in the military could see it, there would be some fresh poo poo in their pants. I don't think the people who so blindly support this conflict realize how dangerous this really is, how bad it could get, and how quickly it could spread. To use an old Rumsfeld term, there are simply too many "unknown unknowns" in this situation. It could go from limited air strikes/special ops in one country to bombing six or seven countries(or more) and calling up more reserves and shifting the "chess pieces" around.  

The US already has reasons to bomb these countries if it chooses to.....

Sudan
Somalia
Algeria
Nigeria
Mauritania
Niger
Mali
Liberia

......yet people have the colossal gall to cheer this crap on?

Question for the cheering section......have you ever looked at a map of Africa? If the answer is no, let me show you one....

http://www.wallpaper4u.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Africa_map.jpg

The West getting bogged down on that continent would be a nightmare and the quagmire to end all quagmires. Since the US just announced earlier this week that its building drone bases in several African countries, those that cheer African intervention may have all their dreams/nightmares come true. For the sake of those people, better hope a draft is never needed.

He, like I, sees the Western approach to North Africa as counterproductive and against the interests of both the West as well as stability and security on the continent.

http://blog.hiddenharmonies.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/CG-map-3.gif

The West is starting to run out of things to do militarily, which was coincidentally timed with the West going bankrupt. While China is an economic power, it has pretty much been contained and the media acting like it's the Soviet Union 2.0 or on the verge of taking the spot of the US on the world stage is laughable. While Russia is obviously a major power and in 2nd place on the 'global totem pole', they are not really a threat unless the US/EU provoke them. Africa is the last place to occupy/conquer/influence. It's also the most dangerous. While we can use the excuse of the continent being flooded with terrorists as a legitimate reason for going in, occupying, then sitting on their resources, that doesn't necessarily mean we should go in. Walking into Libya, Somalia, or another African country are trapdoors that lead to hell. People who want to have a miniscule taste of this hell need look no further than the Bush/Clinton "humanitarian" mission into Somalia in 1992-93.

As I've said before, those who cheer/support this should immediately run to their local recruiting office, sign up, and then they can be on the front line that opens the gates of hell.

In my opinion, in the 21st century there are only two things that could happen that would warrant US intervention in Africa:

1. A major terror attack on the US and that attack could be traced back to an African nation/terrorist group

2. A new Hitler rises in one of the countries, invades most if not all the continent, and a second holocaust occurs.

Neither of those things has happened yet, and you'll notice that supporting/arming a terrorist group so we can occupy the country and open up a new war front against that same group was not on my list.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 10/16/11 at 7:16 am

Now add Uganda to the list....

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/16/11 at 8:56 am

Now add Uganda to the list....

Of course the problem with most of Africa is exactly what side do you WANT to support?  The vast majority of countries are corrupt and on that continent, rape and mutilation are considered legitimate tools of war and governance.  Here in the USA we wring our hands over whether or not to waterboard admitted terrorist murderers.  In the interior of Africa, combatants draw straws to see who first gets to rape the two-year-old girl hiding under a pile of dead bodies that used to be her brothers and sisters.  And when they're not at war, they're busy raping infants because it is a cure for AIDS.

You won't really see very much in the way of international intervention (large scale) in the interior of Africa because, in the end you have to ask yourself a question... "Who cares" and "What is in it for the intervenors?".  The answer to these questions, on a governmental scale, are "Nobody" and "nothing but grief".

I was studying intenational politics at the University of Chicago when Rwanda went down, and our professor opened up the class describing what was unfolding in Rwanda.  He then asked the two questions, and when the answers were rendered he said "There you have it... nobody's gonna do a damn thing in Rwanda and this thing will proceed until it burns itself out."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/16/11 at 10:00 am

Of course the problem with most of Africa is exactly what side do you WANT to support?  The vast majority of countries are corrupt and on that continent, rape and mutilation are considered legitimate tools of war and governance.  Here in the USA we wring our hands over whether or not to waterboard admitted terrorist murderers.  In the interior of Africa, combatants draw straws to see who first gets to rape the two-year-old girl hiding under a pile of dead bodies that used to be her brothers and sisters.  And when they're not at war, they're busy raping infants because it is a cure for AIDS.

You won't really see very much in the way of international intervention (large scale) in the interior of Africa because, in the end you have to ask yourself a question... "Who cares" and "What is in it for the intervenors?".  The answer to these questions, on a governmental scale, are "Nobody" and "nothing but grief".

I was studying intenational politics at the University of Chicago when Rwanda went down, and our professor opened up the class describing what was unfolding in Rwanda.  He then asked the two questions, and when the answers were rendered he said "There you have it... nobody's gonna do a damn thing in Rwanda and this thing will proceed until it burns itself out."

I remember that horror show.  Your prof was right.  Then there was a lot of hand-wringing and finger-pointing about what so-and-so and such-and-such should have done.  Then there was Darfur.  Same deal.
::) ::) ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/16/11 at 2:40 pm

I remember that horror show.  Your prof was right.  Then there was a lot of hand-wringing and finger-pointing about what so-and-so and such-and-such should have done.  Then there was Darfur.  Same deal.
::) ::) ::)

Not much virtue in Darfur, from either side.  Both sides were hell-bent on repression.

Check for new replies or respond here...