» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: 9/11: Clinton says Al-Qaeda behind New York threat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/11 at 1:02 pm

The US secretary of state has warned that al-Qaeda is behind a credible threat to Americans in the run-up to the anniversary of 9/11.

Hillary Clinton said there had been a "specific, credible but unconfirmed report" of an attempt to target New York and Washington DC.

President Barack Obama is to visit New York and Washington on Sunday as the US marks 10 years since al-Qaeda attacked.

Nearly 3,000 people died in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania in 2001.

"Al-Qaeda again is seeking to harm Americans and in particular to target New York and Washington," Mrs Clinton said on Friday.

"This should not surprise any of us. It is a continuing reminder of the stakes in our struggle against violent extremism, no matter who propagates it, no matter where it comes from, no matter who its targets might be."

She said the decision to go public with the threat was "intended to enlist the million and millions of New Yorkers and Americans to be the eyes and ears of vigilance", adding that the threat was being taken very seriously by state and federal authorities.

Counter-terrorism officials were particularly concerned by the threat because documents seized during the raid of Osama bin Laden's Pakistani compound in May showed al-Qaeda was considering strikes to coincide with the anniversary, Mrs Clinton said.

The former New York senator said Americans should not change their plans, but instead be alert.

"You have to go on with life," she said, adding, "This city is resilient."

Events commemorating the anniversary of the attacks are scheduled throughout the weekend.

President Obama will visit the World Trade Center site, the Pentagon, and and a memorial ceremony in Shanksville, Pennsylvania - where the fourth hijacked plane, United 93, came down.

He will be joined in New York by former President George W Bush.

Mr Obama, who was briefed on the alert before addressing Congress on Thursday, called on the US to "redouble" anti-terror efforts.

Speaking on Thursday night, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the threat was "uncorroborated", but security would be boosted at bridges, tunnels and on public transport.

Mr Bloomberg travelled on the New York subway on Friday morning in a symbolic gesture aimed at showing the city is fully prepared for a terror threat.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said spot checks in the New York subway would be more frequent in coming days.

Earlier, Mr Kelly told the BBC he had concerns about a new threat.

In the US capital, police chief Cathy Lanier said the public should expect increased security measures and more stopped vehicles, the Washington Post reported.

Police shifts have been extended indefinitely and members of the public are being asked to report abandoned or suspicious vehicles, the Post said.

Reports suggest that intelligence gathered in Pakistan points to a possible car or truck bomb attack against New York or Washington.

US TV network ABC News reported on Thursday evening that three individuals - one a US citizen - entered the US in August aiming to carry out a terror attack. It was unclear whether this information was linked to the threat detailed by US officials.

Speaking at Thursday's news conference alongside Mr Bloomberg and Mr Kelly, the FBI Assistant Director in Charge of the New York office, Janice Fedarcyk, confirmed the threat.

"Al-Qaeda has shown an interest in important dates and anniversaries. In this instance it is accurate that there is credible, specific but unconfirmed information," she said.

An anonymous counter-terrorism official told the Associated Press that authorities had been investigating the intelligence since it was received late on Wednesday.

Mr Kelly told the BBC earlier that the city's police would be high alert during the weekend.

"We are worried specifically about something happening on the anniversary of 9/11 because we saw on some of Bin Laden's materials that there was discussion about the 10-year anniversary, the 10-year memorial," he said.

"There is no doubt that New York is safer now than it was 10 years ago, but there are no guarantees. We are doing everything that I believe we can do to protect the city, but it is a dangerous world."

Mr Bloomberg told reporters that New York police would be "deploying additional resources... some of which you will notice and some of which you will not".

Subject: Re: 9/11: Clinton says Al-Qaeda behind New York threat

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/09/11 at 3:25 pm

:( >:(

Written By: Bobby on 09/09/11 at 4:21 pm

Has anyone watched the Zeitgeist film documentary? My mate told me about it today and he said it blew his mind. It goes on in great detail about 9/11. I haven't seen it yet and just thought I'd get some feedback before I do.

Written By: King Tut on 09/09/11 at 6:13 pm

Has anyone watched the Zeitgeist film documentary? My mate told me about it today and he said it blew his mind. It goes on in great detail about 9/11. I haven't seen it yet and just thought I'd get some feedback before I do.

I have heard of it, but have not seen it. I don't believe that one.

The only conspiracy videos I've seen (and some of you have seen them or are aware of them as well ) are the ones on youtube that either said
No planes hit the towers, or
The planes had bombs on them, or
There were preplanted bombs in the WTC, etc...

It's not my intention to open up a can of worms here with this,  :-\\  :-\\
Please ignore my post if you are offended with those theories.

Written By: Bobby on 09/09/11 at 6:34 pm

I have heard of it, but have not seen it. I don't believe that one.

The only conspiracy videos I've seen (and some of you have seen them or are aware of them as well ) are the ones on youtube that either said
No planes hit the towers, or
The planes had bombs on them, or
There were preplanted bombs in the WTC, etc...

It's not my intention to open up a can of worms here with this,  :-\\  :-\\
Please ignore my post if you are offended with those theories.

I appreciate your sensitivity, Tut, and I likewise don't wish to offend anyone. I guess this is a better place to raise this topic than in the other '10 years ago' memorial thread. That could have been classed as disrespectful I'm sure.

My mate mentioned something to do with the firemen who noticed the metal was burnt out at the bottom of the building indicating detonation and that some of the pilots who supposed to have crashed into the Twin Towers are still alive and were never actually involved in 9/11?

Check for new replies or respond here...