» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What About Oklahoma City?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/11/11 at 3:00 pm

As we dwell on, and relive, the events of 9/11, I am bothered by the fact that there is hardly any notice made of the Oklahoma City bombing.  Do you remember where you were, what you were doing, what day it happened?  Do you remember who did it and why?  Do you think that we should detain all caucasian, blond haired, bronze star winners, not allow them to drive vans?

Subject: Re: What About Oklahoma City?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/11/11 at 3:07 pm

As we dwell on, and relive, the events of 9/11, I am bothered by the fact that there is hardly any notice made of the Oklahoma City bombing.  Do you remember where you were, what you were doing, what day it happened?  Do you remember who did it and why?  Do you think that we should detain all caucasian, blond haired, bronze star winners, not allow them to drive vans?

Karma.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/11/11 at 3:55 pm

If they belong to a religion or other organization that is invoked on a regular basis to conduct mayhem on six of 7 continents, pretty much every week... yeah, I'd consider it.

When the OK City hit was done, you did not see blue-eyed caucasians worldwide uulating and firing their guns in the air in celebration.  You did not see them do copycat bombings or strap ammonium nitrate devices to themselves.  Rather you saw a nation of Caucasians (and pretty much all other races) condemn those SOB's and send McVeigh to the injection table where he belonged.

9/11 was perpetrated by an international team of Islamic militants, the same sort of scourge that continues to conduct suicide missions in America, Britain, Canada,  Spain, Phillipines, Pakistan, India, Israel, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Singapore, Tahiti, Russia, Russia's Chechnya region, China, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Syria, Niger, Uzbekistan, Georgia, Thailand, Nigeria, Algeria, Yemen, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Australia and Lord knows how many other countries.  They also conduct fundraising in South America's tri-Border area amongst Brazil, Paraguay, and Argentina.

To ignore the reality of Islamic extremisim is to be an ostrich.  I choose to not bury my head in the sand.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/11/11 at 4:11 pm

I was all of 8 years old in 1995, but one of the big things I remember about the OKC Bombing is being scared when I went to the federal building with my dad this one time not long after the attack. I remember there was a lot of security there. I remember when McVeigh was executed back in '01 and debating in my head how I felt about it, at the time I honestly leaned towards "good riddance to this jerk". Now as an adult I know better, executing McVeigh didn't bring anybody back much like shooting bin Laden didn't change what happened on 9/11. Revenge isn't the answer and in the end seems to make people more vicious, but some people never figure that out.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/11/11 at 4:15 pm

To ignore the reality of Islamic extremisim is to be an ostrich.  I choose to not bury my head in the sand.

Of course there's Islamic extremism, but come on the threat is way exaggerated by the government and their buddies in the media. I mean you got people panicking like some Arabs are gonna launch a missile right into their house in Anywhere, USA. There are so many bigger threats to Americans than "islamic extremism". This constant fear of Islamic extremism is akin to a fear of going outside because you might get struck by lightning or run over by a car.

http://news-now.org/2011/05/surprising-bigger-threats-terrorism/

Written By: danootaandme on 09/11/11 at 4:57 pm

If they belong to a religion or other organization that is invoked on a regular basis to conduct mayhem on six of 7 continents, pretty much every week... yeah, I'd consider it.

When the OK City hit was done, you did not see blue-eyed caucasians worldwide uulating and firing their guns in the air in celebration.  You did not see them do copycat bombings or strap ammonium nitrate devices to themselves.  Rather you saw a nation of Caucasians (and pretty much all other races) condemn those SOB's and send McVeigh to the injection table where he belonged.

9/11 was perpetrated by an international team of Islamic militants, the same sort of scourge that continues to conduct suicide missions in America, Britain, Canada,  Spain, Phillipines, Pakistan, India, Israel, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Singapore, Tahiti, Russia, Russia's Chechnya region, China, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Syria, Niger, Uzbekistan, Georgia, Thailand, Nigeria, Algeria, Yemen, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Australia and Lord knows how many other countries.  They also conduct fundraising in South America's tri-Border area amongst Brazil, Paraguay, and Argentina.

To ignore the reality of Islamic extremisim is to be an ostrich.  I choose to not bury my head in the sand.

Doesn't make the victims any less dead, the act any less one to be remembered.

Written By: snozberries on 09/11/11 at 10:40 pm

They mention Oklahoma in a lot of eps of Saving Grace....the show was set there and the main character Grace lost a sister in that attack.
I was at work - we didn't have access to the internet in those days and there was no tv so I didn't find out about it until days later....cuz I don't watch the news all that often.

I do know the name Timothy McVeigh tho...wish i didn't.   there was something profound I saw on an ep of Criminal Minds..... someone was mentioning names like Dennis Rader, Richard Ramirez, Kenneth Bianchi, Ted Bundy.... one of the stars countered with a list of names and the 1st person said who are they.... they were the victims...we always remember the names of the killers but people rarely remember the names of the victims.

So...for the victims of the Oklahoma City Bombing.... R.I.P.

* Aleman, Jr., Lucio, 33
   * Alexander, Teresa, 33
   * Allen, Richard, 46
   * Allen, Ted, 48
   * Almon, Baylee, 1
   * Althouse, Diane, 45
   * Anderson, Rebecca, 37
   * Argo, Pamela, 36

* Avery, Saundra "Sandy", 34
   * Avillanoza, Peter, 56
   * Battle, Calvin, 62
   * Battle, Peola, 56
   * Bell, Danielle, 1
   * Biddy, Oleta, 54
   * Bland, Shelly,
   * Blanton, Andrea, 33

* Bloomer, Olen, 61
   * Bolden, Sgt. 1st Class Lola,  40
   * Boles, James, 50
   * Bolte, Mark, 28
   * Booker, Casandra, 25
   * Bowers, Carol, 53
   * Bradley, Peachlyn, 3
   * Brady, Woodrow "Woody", 41
   * Brown, Cynthia, 26
   * Broxterman, Paul, 42
   * Bruce, Gabreon, 1
   * Burgess, Kimberly, 29
   * Burkett, David, 47
   * Burns, Sr., Donald, 63
   * Carr , Karen, 32
   * Carrillo, Michael, 44

* Chavez, Zachary, 3
   * Chipman, Robert, 51
   * Clark, Dr. Margaret "Peggy", 42
   * Clark, Kimberly, 39
   * Cooper, Dana, 24
   * Cooper II, Anthony, 2
   * Cooper, Jr., Antonio, 1
   * Cottingham, Harley, 46

* Cousins, Kim, 33
   * Coverdale, Aaron, 5
   * Coverdale, Elijah, 2
   * Coyne, Jaci, 1
   * Cregan, Katherine, 60
   * Cummins, Richard "Dick", 55
   * Curry, Steven, 44
   * Daniels, Brenda, 42

* Davis, Sgt. Benjamin, 29
   * Day, Diane, 38
   * DeMaster, Peter, 44
   * Deveroux, Castine, 49
   * Eaves, Taylor, 1
   * Eckles, Ashley, 4
   * Ferrell, Susan, 37
   * Fields, Carrol "Chip", 48

* Finley, Kathy, 44
   * Fisher, Judy, 45
   * Florence, Linda, 43
   * Fritzler, Don, 64
   * Fritzler, Mary, 57
   * Garrett, Tevin, 2
   * Garrison, Laura, 61
   * Genzer, Jamie, 32

* Gigger-Driver, Sheila, 28
   * Goodson, Margaret, 54
   * Gottshall II, Kevin, 1
   * Griffin, Ethel, 55
   * Guiles, J Colleen, 59
   * Guzman, Capt. Randolph, 28
   * Hammon, Cheryl, 44
   * Harding, Sr., Ronald, 55

* Hawthorne, Thomas, 52
   * Higginbottom, Doris "Adele", 44
   * Hightower, Anita, 27
   * Hodges, Jr., Thompson, 54
   * Holland, Peggy, 37
   * Housley, Linda, 53
   * Howard, Dr. George, 45
   * Howell, Wanda, 34

* Huff, Robbin, 37
   * Hurlburt, Dr. Charles, 73
   * Hurlburt, Jean, 67
   * Ice, Paul, 42
   * Jenkins, Christi, 32
   * Johnson, Norma "Jean", 62
   * Johnson, Raymond, 59
   * Johnson-London, Dominique, 2

* Jones, Larry, 46
   * Justes, Alvin, 54
   * Kennedy, Blake, 1
   * Khalil, Carole, 50
   * Koelsch, Valerie, 33
   * Kreymborg, Ann, 57
   * Kuehner-Chafey, Rona, 35
   * Lauderdale, Teresa, 41

* Leasure-Rentie, Mary, 39
   * Leinen, Kathy, 47
   * Lenz, Carrie, 26
   * Leonard, Donald, 50
   * Levy, LaKesha, 21
   * Long, Rheta, 60
   * Loudenslager, Michael, 48
   * Luster, Aurelia, 43

* Luster, Jr., Robert, 45
   * Maroney, Mickey, 50
   * Martin, James, 34
   * Martinez, Rev. Gilbert, 35
   * McCarthy II, James, 53
   * McCullough, Kenneth, 36
   * McGonnell, Betsy "Beebe", 47
   * McKinney, Linda, 47

* McRaven, Cartney, 19
   * Medearis, S.S.A., Claude, 41
   * Meek, Claudette, 43
   * Merrell, Frankie, 23
   * Miller, Derwin, 27
   * Mitchell, Eula, 64
   * Moss III, John, 50
   * Newberry-Woodbridge, Ronota, 31

* Nix, Patricia, 47
   * Parker, Jerry, 45
   * Randolph, Jill, 27
   * Reeder, Michelle, 33
   * Rees, Terry, 41
   * Reyes, Antonio "Tony", 55
   * Ridley, Kathryn, 24
   * Rigney, Trudy, 31

* Ritter, Claudine, 48
   * Rosas, Christy, 22
   * Sanders, Sonja, 27
   * Scroggins, Lanny, 46
   * Seidl, Kathy, 39
   * Sells, Leora, 57
   * Shepherd, Karan, 27
   * Smith, Chase, 3

* Smith, Colton, 2
   * Sohn, Victoria "Vickey", 36
   * Stewart, John, 51
   * Stratton, Dolores "Dee", 51
   * Tapia, Emilio, 50
   * Texter, Victoria, 37
   * Thomas, Charlotte, 43
   * Thompson, Michael, 47
   * Thompson, Virginia, 56

* Titsworth, Kayla, 35
   * Tomlin, Rick, 46
   * Treanor, LaRue, 55
   * Treanor, Luther, 61
   * Turner, Larry, 42
   * Valdez, Jules, 51
   * Van Ess III, John, 67

* Wade, Johnny, 42
   * Walker, David, 54
   * Walker, Jr., Robert, 52
   * Watkins, Wanda, 49
   * Weaver, Michael, 54
   * Welch, Julie, 23
   * Westberry, Robert, 57
   * Whicher, Alan, 40

* Whittenberg, Jo, 35
   * Williams, Frances "Fran", 48
   * Williams, Scott, 24
   * Williams, W.S., 42
   * Wilson, Sr., Clarence, 49
   * Wood-Chestnut, Sharon, 47
   * Worton, Tresia, 28
   * Youngblood, John, 52

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/11 at 11:39 pm

What about Houston, what about Detroit, what about Pittsburgh P-A; you oughta know not to stand by a window, somebody see you up there!

--Talking Heads
(Life During Wartime)

Written By: philbo on 09/12/11 at 6:33 am

Of course there's Islamic extremism, but come on the threat is way exaggerated by the government and their buddies in the media. I mean you got people panicking like some Arabs are gonna launch a missile right into their house in Anywhere, USA. There are so many bigger threats to Americans than "islamic extremism". This constant fear of Islamic extremism is akin to a fear of going outside because you might get struck by lightning or run over by a car.

http://news-now.org/2011/05/surprising-bigger-threats-terrorism/

People's assessment of risk has always been bad.  "Fractally wrong" seems to cover it.

The worldwide significance still accorded to 9/11 and the ridiculously over-the-top coverage of it all is really starting to piss me off, though.

3000 people lost their lives - but nearly that many die every year on the roads in the UK alone, and over ten times that many every year in the US.  I don't understand what makes the people who died in this particular way so much more special and deserving of remembrance than people who died in other ways (e.g. civilian casualties from "mistakes" in Iraq/Afghanistan). The heroism of the firefighters is worth celebrating, by why exclude all those other firefighters who have died fighting different fires?

I also wonder whether our reaction to the attacks has been counterproductive: how many wannabe suicide bombers have been spurred on by the thought that their actions will actually make a difference?  If we'd collectively gone "meh" and "wasn't that stupid" and got on with life without making such a song and dance, a significant part of the attraction of being a suicide bomber would go - what's the point of doing something so suicidally excessive if the country you're trying to hurt doesn't seem to care?

We spend too much time worrying about extremism, Islamism and suicide bombing and far too little time laughing at them for the stupidity of their beliefs and actions.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/12/11 at 6:51 am

People's assessment of risk has always been bad.  "Fractally wrong" seems to cover it.

The worldwide significance still accorded to 9/11 and the ridiculously over-the-top coverage of it all is really starting to piss me off, though.

3000 people lost their lives - but nearly that many die every year on the roads in the UK alone, and over ten times that many every year in the US.  I don't understand what makes the people who died in this particular way so much more special and deserving of remembrance than people who died in other ways (e.g. civilian casualties from "mistakes" in Iraq/Afghanistan). The heroism of the firefighters is worth celebrating, by why exclude all those other firefighters who have died fighting different fires?

I also wonder whether our reaction to the attacks has been counterproductive: how many wannabe suicide bombers have been spurred on by the thought that their actions will actually make a difference?  If we'd collectively gone "meh" and "wasn't that stupid" and got on with life without making such a song and dance, a significant part of the attraction of being a suicide bomber would go - what's the point of doing something so suicidally excessive if the country you're trying to hurt doesn't seem to care?

We spend too much time worrying about extremism, Islamism and suicide bombing and far too little time laughing at them for the stupidity of their beliefs and actions.

Every time I drive Route 9 I pray to Allah to make it back alive!
:o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/11 at 11:52 am

Who can forget THIS image:

http://www.oklahomacitybombing.com/oklahoma-city-bombing-1.jpg

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/12/11 at 3:17 pm

Who can forget THIS image:

http://www.oklahomacitybombing.com/oklahoma-city-bombing-1.jpg

Cat

AS in the words of Nilsson when he asked if he performs live..."I Don't"!

I do know the name Timothy McVeigh tho...wish i didn't.  there was something profound I saw on an ep of Criminal Minds..... someone was mentioning names like Dennis Rader, Richard Ramirez, Kenneth Bianchi, Ted Bundy.... one of the stars countered with a list of names and the 1st person said who are they.... they were the victims...we always remember the names of the killers but people rarely remember the names of the victims.

You may NOT wish to remember Jim Jones who formed a Communist Cult in Guyana and killed 900+ people in Guyana or David Koresh who had that Branch Davidan of Seventh-Day Adventists either.

And with the Islamic Religion growing...many people become Islamophobic. (I'm NOT an Islamophobe).

Written By: danootaandme on 09/12/11 at 4:37 pm

You may NOT wish to remember Jim Jones who formed a Communist Cult in Guyana and killed 900+ people in Guyana or David Koresh who had that Branch Davidan of Seventh-Day Adventists either.

Communist?  Seventh Day Adventist?  No and no

Written By: snozberries on 09/12/11 at 5:08 pm

Thank you.

Written By: Tia on 09/12/11 at 6:20 pm

When the OK City hit was done, you did not see blue-eyed caucasians worldwide uulating and firing their guns in the air in celebration. 
no, they have an organized industrial military that does what the muslim extremists have to steal passenger planes to do, and they ululate -- read, chant "USA, USA" -- whenever a republican president (they do not ululate for democrats) decides to bomb a muslim country based on false pretenses and do immeasurable damage to innumerable innocent lives.

make no mistake. the only difference between the american christian right and the islamic militant movement is, the christian right has a lot more money, a lot more firepower, and a lot more false legitimacy, and for that reason they get a lot more people needlessly killed. other than that, the christian right and the muslim extremists only hate each other because they're too much alike.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/11 at 6:30 pm

no, they have an organized industrial military that does what the muslim extremists have to steal passenger planes to do, and they ululate -- read, chant "USA, USA" -- whenever a republican president (they do not ululate for democrats) decides to bomb a muslim country based on false pretenses and do immeasurable damage to innumerable innocent lives.

make no mistake. the only difference between the american christian right and the islamic militant movement is, the christian right has a lot more money, a lot more firepower, and a lot more false legitimacy, and for that reason they get a lot more people needlessly killed. other than that, the christian right and the muslim extremists only hate each other because they're too much alike.

We just ignore a little passage in the Bible that says, "Thou Shall Not Kill."

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/12/11 at 7:26 pm

I didn't think so!

We just ignore a little passage in the Bible that says, "Thou Shall Not Kill."

Cat

That just make me want to play this song...

Y_VJoDOdJH0

...because the last line in the verse says..."Thou Shall NOT Kill"!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/15/11 at 3:54 am

This is spot on.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...