» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: PENNA Considering Ending "Winner Take All" Electoral Vote

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/16/11 at 6:15 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11259/1175072-454.stm

My commonwealth's legislature is considering a move to no longer be a "winner take all" electgoral vote state, to one in which the popular vote is used to apportion electoral votes.  Good call, I say.  This gives the rural areas of the state equal footing (per capita) in Presidential elections to the urban areas of Picksburgh and Philadelphia.

I expect the Republican-led houses of the state legislature and the Republican governor to pass this legislation which gives more people a true voice.  8)

Subject: Re: PENNA Considering Ending "Winner Take All" Electoral Vote

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/11 at 5:55 pm

Good call depending on how big a cynic you are.
::)

The sole intent is to make rural votes count more than urban votes.  Obama won the metropolitan areas of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh by wide margins.  McCain won the rural counties and the tony suburbs by narrow margins.  If they wanted equal footing per capita they would dissolve the state into one big district and credit the popular vote as their electoral vote.  BUT they don't want equal footing.  They want Republicans in office. Democrats would win the popular vote.  Blacks, Latinos, and city-dwelling whites are the ones who vote for Democrats.  Lump in your liberal Uncle Amos from the up lane, and the GOP doesn't stand a chance popularly. 

When Gore won the popular vote over Bush, Republican sentiments were reversed.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/jerk.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...