» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Amish men jailed in orange triangle row

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/11 at 10:19 am

Eight Amish men have been jailed in the US for refusing to attach orange safety triangles to their horse-drawn buggies.

They said the bright reflectors violated their religion which restricts wearing flamboyant colours and relying on man-made symbols for safety.

The men were all members of a traditional Amish group, the Old Order of Swartzentruber, known for simple living, plain dress and reluctance to adopt modern conveniences.

They were locked up after refusing to pay fines issued to them on the grounds that they failed to adhere to a state law which requires orange triangles on all slow-moving vehicles.

The men were sentenced to between three and ten days behind bars at Graves County Jail in Kentucky.

The convicted men brought Bibles to prison with them and were given dark-coloured jumpsuits and sandals so that they didn't have to wear the standard orange coveralls.

A ninth defendant and father-of-seven Levi Zook was initially ordered to jail but the sentence was lifted when a friend paid so Levi could care for his sick son who has cerebral palsy.

He said: "I don't think it's right to put somebody in jail for practising their religious beliefs, but that's what we'll do if that's what it takes to abide by the biblical laws.''

Prison warden Randy Haley said: "They were very nice. They did anything we asked them to do, we had no problems."

All but one of the men have now been released and the last man will be freed on September 21.

Subject: Re: Amish men jailed in orange triangle row

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/11 at 6:03 pm

I don't understand why the Amish can't reconcile orange for safety versus orange for style. 

I know some Amish were affixing strips of white tape to their vehicles in lieu of the orange triangles, but I guess that wasn't going to fly in Kentucky.  I'm the first to respect their religious convictions but I can't see why a mandatory orange triangle would make them immodest before the Lord.

And no, I wouldn't want to wear orange overalls either!
:-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/16/11 at 6:51 pm

:-\\

It doesn't matter to Bubba what color your overalls are.  :o

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/17/11 at 6:01 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/images/US/ht_amish_mugshots_dm_110915_wblog.jpg

One of the reasons I refuse to wear hats...HAT HAIR!!  ;D

I know they have their religious beliefs but this is for safety.  I really think God would understand.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/17/11 at 6:24 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/images/US/ht_amish_mugshots_dm_110915_wblog.jpg

I wonder why they don't like moustaches? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/17/11 at 7:25 pm

The Bible says you shall not trim your beard.  Doesn't say anything about mustaches.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylusy.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/17/11 at 11:40 pm

"And I don't give a hoot that I'm wearin' this suit, workin' hard in the midday sun,
'Cos a guy named Zach claims he's got a bad back, I think he's next in line to be shunned!"

8xKn9bk9JAk

- The Electric Amish, Barnyard Blitz.  Lulz begin at 1:05.

Written By: philbo on 09/18/11 at 9:24 am

How many Amish carts have been hit by traffic that didn't see them?

..I mean, if it's somewhere near the zero mark, might that not make the traffic regulation a little bit onerous?

Because they tickle too much when performing cunnilingus?

Check for new replies or respond here...