» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Rick Perry’s Texas Hunting Spot, Camp’s Old Racially Charged Name Lingered

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/11 at 5:55 pm

Just as Newt Gingrich didn't start paying child support until he decided to run for office, so Rick Perry wasn't too concerned about "the "n" word"

Paint Creek, Tex. — In the early years of his political career, Rick Perry began hosting fellow lawmakers, friends and supporters at his family’s secluded West Texas hunting camp, a place known by the name painted in block letters across a large, flat rock standing upright at its gated entrance.

“N*****head,” it read....

....“My mother and father went to the lease and painted the rock in either 1983 or 1984,” Perry wrote. “This occurred after I paid a visit to the property with a friend and saw the rock with the offensive word. After my visit I called my folks and mentioned it to them, and they painted it over during their next visit.”

“Ever since, any time I ever saw the rock it was painted over,” Perry said.

Perry’s version of events differs in many respects from the recollections of seven people, interviewed by The Washington Post, who spoke in detail of their memories of seeing the rock with the name at various points during the years that Perry was associated with the property through his father, partners or his signature on a lease.

Some who had watched Perry’s political ascent recalled their reaction to the name on the rock and their worry that it could become a political liability for Perry.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/rick-perry-familys-hunting-camp-still-known-to-many-by-old-racially-charged-name/2011/10/01/gIQAOhY5DL_print.html

Subject: Re: Rick Perry’s Texas Hunting Spot, Camp’s Old Racially Charged Name Lingered

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/11 at 6:13 pm

Nappyhead?

Subject: Re: Rick Perry’s Texas Hunting Spot, Camp’s Old Racially Charged Name Lingered

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/11 at 6:37 pm

Nappyhead?

::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/11 at 7:14 pm

::)

Well all it said was N****head so I have to guess. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/11 at 11:25 pm

....“My mother and father went to the lease and painted the rock in either 1983 or 1984,” Perry wrote. “This occurred after I paid a visit to the property with a friend and saw the rock with the offensive word. After my visit I called my folks and mentioned it to them, and they painted it over during their next visit.”

Perry family values!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/unhappy.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 10/03/11 at 7:50 pm

Well all it said was N****head so I have to guess. 

Actually it said N*****head, you forgot a *  ;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/04/11 at 10:49 am

Does it really come as a surprise that Rick Perry is a racist?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/11 at 4:55 pm

Does it really come as a surprise that Rick Perry is a racist?

I don't think he's especially racist.  I mean, he grew up in Texas in the fifties and sixties.  No one would bat an eye at "N*****head Ranch" in them days!
:o

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/04/11 at 6:35 pm

I don't think he's especially racist.  I mean, he grew up in Texas in the fifties and sixties.  No one would bat an eye at "N*****head Ranch" in them days!
:o

I think if he were racist he would not have the immigration policy position that he does.

That said, "N&^%$^%$%$#%$#%$#%^$#^%head Ranch" is gonna be like a Chappaquiddick thing to Perry, it's always gonna be brought up.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/11 at 7:27 pm

I think if he were racist he would not have the immigration policy position that he does.

That said, "N&^%$^%$%$#%$#%$#%^$#^%head Ranch" is gonna be like a Chappaquiddick thing to Perry, it's always gonna be brought up.

On the other side of the Vineyard they had Gay Head!
:-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 10/06/11 at 4:52 pm

On the other side of the Vineyard they had Gay Head!
:-\\

They changed the name to Aquinnah.  They still refer to the cliffs as "the Gay Head" Cliffs, but the town is now call Aquinnah.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/11 at 11:24 am

They changed the name to Aquinnah.  They still refer to the cliffs as "the Gay Head" Cliffs, but the town is now call Aquinnah.

Yeah, they said they were going back to the more historical name for the area...not because of all those jokes!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...