» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Useless United Nations

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/22/11 at 4:08 pm

I read where the United Nations is now "demanding" to find out the circumstances as to how it came to be that Quaddaghy bit the dust.

What a crock.

Hey U.N.  Let me save you alot of time and money.  A bunch of Libyan Rebels discovered that they had Colonel Frizzhead in their hands.  They then beat the crap outta him and then put a round through his head.

Why anybody gives the U.N. ANY credibility is beyond me.  ::)

Subject: Re: The Useless United Nations

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/11 at 4:10 pm

To me it is obvious, the rebels found him and nature took it's course.

Written By: gibbo on 10/22/11 at 8:18 pm

I read where the United Nations is now "demanding" to find out the circumstances as to how it came to be that Quaddaghy bit the dust.

What a crock.

Hey U.N.  Let me save you alot of time and money.  A bunch of Libyan Rebels discovered that they had Colonel Frizzhead in their hands.  They then beat the crap outta him and then put a round through his head.

Yes... I laughed when I heard that this useless mob demanded an inquiry!  ;D  Libya should enjoy it's 'freedom' while it can. I'm sure the usual religious tribalism will take its usual course and they (and the world) end up losers.  It's sad ....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/11 at 9:09 pm

The U.N. is like a blind crossing guard!
8)

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/24/11 at 2:02 pm

The U.N. is like a blind crossing guard!
8)

Agree.

It's basically League O'Nations 2.0.

Written By: Tia on 10/24/11 at 6:21 pm

What a crock.

Hey U.N.  Let me save you alot of time and money.  A bunch of Libyan Rebels discovered that they had Colonel Frizzhead in their hands.  They then beat the crap outta him and then put a round through his head.

Why anybody gives the U.N. ANY credibility is beyond me.  ::)
so we're using shaky cellphone video as a substitute for the UN and international law now? excellent. i'll make sure and phone a few surviving world war II vets and let them know they fought for nothing; the international body they bled and died to create is now obsolete and we'll be resolving all international disputes on reality TV from here on in.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/11 at 6:55 pm

so we're using shaky cellphone video as a substitute for the UN and international law now? excellent. i'll make sure and phone a few surviving world war II vets and let them know they fought for nothing; the international body they bled and died to create is now obsolete and we'll be resolving all international disputes on reality TV from here on in.

International law is a joke.  At WORST the execution of Quadaughhy is a violation of Libyan criminal statutes and the UN has neither juridiction nor moral authority over it.

It's obvious that he was killed by a (perhaps) overzealous foot soldier.  The UN wants to puff its chest like this was some sort of sinister conspiracy.  (Oh, by the way, NATO had been gunning for Muommar for the past 6-7 months pretty steadily, with the blessing of the UN).

Besides, ask the WW2 vets if the Nuremburg trials could pass even close as a fair trial under rule of law.  They were the next thing to a kangaroo court and they send many a man to the gallows.  (And I am not saying that was a bad thing, but Nuremburg was no precedent for the rule of fair trials.  These were "show trials".).

And I seriously doubt that you could find a WW2 vet who would claim that he fought in order to establish the United Nations... that's a silly notion.

Written By: Tia on 10/24/11 at 7:02 pm

International law is a joke.  At WORST the execution of Quadaughhy is a violation of Libyan criminal statutes and the UN has neither juridiction nor moral authority over it.

It's obvious that he was killed by a (perhaps) overzealous foot soldier.  The UN wants to puff its chest like this was some sort of sinister conspiracy.  (Oh, by the way, NATO had been gunning for Muommar for the past 6-7 months pretty steadily, with the blessing of the UN).

Besides, ask the WW2 vets if the Nuremburg trials could pass even close as a fair trial under rule of law.  They were the next thing to a kangaroo court and they send many a man to the gallows.  (And I am not saying that was a bad thing, but Nuremburg was no precedent for the rule of fair trials.  These were "show trials".).

And I seriously doubt that you could find a WW2 vet who would claim that he fought in order to establish the United Nations... that's a silly notion.
ok, i take it back that back about international crimes being resolved on reality TV. instead, we'll resolve them based on what you think is or is not "obvious."

WWII wasn't only fought to establish the UN. but plainly the UN was a major outcome of the allied victory. it was meant to prevent the rise of another hitler, and i notice another hitler has yet to rise. it was never meant to be perfect, but it was and continues to be a step on the road to a viable international judicial body. which makes it doubly irksome so many people just want to get rid of it and go back to the law of the jungle on the international stage. that's the sort of winner-take-all international situation that led to hitler in the first place.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/11 at 7:27 pm

ok, i take it back that back about international crimes being resolved on reality TV. instead, we'll resolve them based on what you think is or is not "obvious."

WWII wasn't only fought to establish the UN. but plainly the UN was a major outcome of the allied victory. it was meant to prevent the rise of another hitler, and i notice another hitler has yet to rise. it was never meant to be perfect, but it was and continues to be a step on the road to a viable international judicial body. which makes it doubly irksome so many people just want to get rid of it and go back to the law of the jungle on the international stage. that's the sort of winner-take-all international situation that led to hitler in the first place.

WW2 certainly prevented the absolute totalitarianism that took place in North Korea, now didn't it?  It did not prevent the expulsion of Muslims en masse from Israel, did it?  Or the effective expulsion of Christians from Iraq?  The UN did nothing in Rwanda until the racism burned itself out.  It didn't stop the rise of Pol Pot and the deaths of 2,000,000 Cambodians which was probably the closest thing to a Hitler situation.

The UN is worthless and weak.  The only meaningful interventions in the postwar era have been done by individual nations (usually the United States) who took action while the U.N. shuffled papers.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/24/11 at 7:29 pm

The UN is worthless and weak

Now drop and give me twenty!
:D

Written By: Tia on 10/24/11 at 7:58 pm

WW2 certainly prevented the absolute totalitarianism that took place in North Korea, now didn't it?  It did not prevent the expulsion of Muslims en masse from Israel, did it?  Or the effective expulsion of Christians from Iraq?  The UN did nothing in Rwanda until the racism burned itself out.  It didn't stop the rise of Pol Pot and the deaths of 2,000,000 Cambodians which was probably the closest thing to a Hitler situation.

The UN is worthless and weak.  The only meaningful interventions in the postwar era have been done by individual nations (usually the United States) who took action while the U.N. shuffled papers.
when exactly did the US act alone? it almost always acts as part of a coalition, and usually either seeks the UN's approval or evokes the UN to try and justify what it's doing. your man bush certainly did that when he wanted a fig leaf to justify his flagrant violation of iraq's sovereignty.

you're aware that the UN is a deliberative body and not a policing, entity, yes? it has no army independent of its constituent nations. you know this, right? it's such transparent sophistry to expect the UN to put the end to genocide without military force. it's such a bad argument i don't think YOU even believe it. i just think you're hoping the person you're debating is so uninformed that he doesn't know it.

no one expected the world to be perfect after the UN was formed. at best it's a way for aggrieved countries to air their grievances before the world, at worst it's useless but harmless, but at least could serve as the model for a subsequent international body that COULD work better, the same way the league of nations was flawed but served as a model for the UN.

but of course the conservatives just want to throw it all away and go back to the every-nation-for-itself system that nearly consumed the entire world in fire, twice. no thanks. i'm tired of going backward.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/25/11 at 1:58 am

when exactly did the US act alone? it almost always acts as part of a coalition, and usually either seeks the UN's approval or evokes the UN to try and justify what it's doing. your man bush certainly did that when he wanted a fig leaf to justify his flagrant violation of iraq's sovereignty.

you're aware that the UN is a deliberative body and not a policing, entity, yes? it has no army independent of its constituent nations. you know this, right? it's such transparent sophistry to expect the UN to put the end to genocide without military force. it's such a bad argument i don't think YOU even believe it. i just think you're hoping the person you're debating is so uninformed that he doesn't know it.

no one expected the world to be perfect after the UN was formed. at best it's a way for aggrieved countries to air their grievances before the world, at worst it's useless but harmless, but at least could serve as the model for a subsequent international body that COULD work better, the same way the league of nations was flawed but served as a model for the UN.

but of course the conservatives just want to throw it all away and go back to the every-nation-for-itself system that nearly consumed the entire world in fire, twice. no thanks. i'm tired of going backward.

Tired of going backward? We conservatives will expell you subhuman COMMIE SCUM from this nation by force if need be. You will accept it. THIS IS AMERICA YOU GODLESS COMMIE SCUM. The 1890s were the greatest time in world history COMMIE. ACCEPT IT, OR MOVE, OR PREPARE TO BE MOVED. DON'T WANT TO LEAVE?

WE, THE TEA PARTY WILL USE OUR SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS TO GET RID OF YOU DIRTY, FILTHY COMMIECRATS.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS A HERO.
DEATH TO LIBERALISM.
DEATH TO UNIONS.
DEATH TO EVERY LEGISLATION PASSED SINCE COMMIE DICTATOR TEDDY ROOSEVELT.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/25/11 at 9:18 am

Tired of going backward? We conservatives will expell you subhuman COMMIE SCUM from this nation by force if need be. You will accept it. THIS IS AMERICA YOU GODLESS COMMIE SCUM. The 1890s were the greatest time in world history COMMIE. ACCEPT IT, OR MOVE, OR PREPARE TO BE MOVED. DON'T WANT TO LEAVE?

WE, THE TEA PARTY WILL USE OUR SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS TO GET RID OF YOU DIRTY, FILTHY COMMIECRATS.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS A HERO.
DEATH TO LIBERALISM.
DEATH TO UNIONS.

Just what one would expect from a fascist pig

Written By: Tia on 10/25/11 at 9:23 am

The 1890s were the greatest time in world history COMMIE. lol. surely you jest. your favorite decade is the "gay nineties"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1890s
The 1890s were sometimes referred to as the "Mauve Decade" - because William Henry Perkin's aniline dye allowed the widespread use of that colour in fashion - and also as the "Gay Nineties", under the then-current usage of the word "gay" which referred simply to merriment and frivolity, with no connotation of homosexuality as in present-day usage. The phrase, "The Gay Nineties," was not coined until 1926. This decade was also part of the Gilded Age, a phrase coined by Mark Twain, alluding to the seemingly profitable era that was riddled with crime. In the United States, the 1890s were marked by a severe economic depression sparked by the Panic of 1893, as well as several strikes in the industrial workforce.
Fascism: you're doing it wrong.

also, the 1890s appear to have sucked nearly as bad as the bush-run 2000s are shaping up to have, economically. but whatever, i suspect you're either having a lark or you're sincere in the above, in which case i fully expect to read about you someday on "crime beat." in either case there's little point trying to reason with you.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/11 at 11:49 am

The U.N. is an easy target.  It's like the way we used to laugh at the rent-a-cops at the mall!
::)

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/25/11 at 3:22 pm

also, the 1890s appear to have sucked nearly as bad as the bush-run 2000s are shaping up to have, economically. but whatever, i suspect you're either having a lark or you're sincere in the above, in which case i fully expect to read about you someday on "crime beat." in either case there's little point trying to reason with you.

Karma, Tia.

The 1890's WERE hard, I have a book by Otto Bettmann called "The Good Old Days...They Were Terrible" and it mentions that the 1890's were full of petty crime and child labor.

And at that time, the Democrats were for the rich, not the poor!

JOE MCCARTHY WAS A HERO.
DEATH TO LIBERALISM.
DEATH TO UNIONS.

Theodore Roosevelt was the last Progressive Republican who was for the rich AND poor! Warren G. Harding basically fudgeed-up the Republican Party and made it what it is today...a corrupted Nationalist Party.

Just look-up "Teapot Dome".

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/26/11 at 12:00 am

/headscratch
//re-reads the responses to your post
///headscraches with furrowed brow
////checks your last few posts
/////awards you 10/10 for style and Karma bonus

(Warning: Spoilers for Fallout 3, but everyone here has already played the greatest game of 2008 by now, haven't they?  It's been three years, that's almost an entire Presidential election cycle, fer Dobbsakes!)

705bTi0z-OE

COMMUNISM IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF FAILURE!  COMMUNISM IS A TEMPORARY SETBACK ON THE ROAD TO FREEDOM!  EMBRACE DEMOCRACY OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED!

Poe's Law suggests you were trolling, and that you got 'em.  Not just hook, line, and sinker.  We're talking hook, line, sinker, rod, reel, beer, and copy of Angling Times.  

Poe's Law also requires that I hedge my bet by saying that I'm not 100% sure you were trolling.  But the 90% odds I'm betting are good enough for me to punch the karma button, which is its own form of biting at the tasty-looking worm floating before my eyes.  

Whether you posted that with conviction or irony, that was well-played, sir!  (Even if I'm wrong, karma for audacity!  *chomp* :)

Written By: philbo on 10/26/11 at 5:38 am

JOE MCCARTHY WAS A HERO.
DEATH TO LIBERALISM.
DEATH TO UNIONS.

I see I'm not the first to think "Poe" on this post..

On-topic: the UN is weak, but it is by no means worthless or useless.  It could be stronger, but it's countries like the US who will fight hardest to make sure that it remains without any serious teeth.

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/11 at 5:26 am

What a crock.

What makes me laugh is where was the UN when Gadaffi devised the Lockerbie bombings almost 25 years ago and where was the UN when Gadaffi was shooting his own people?

The UN are just cowards. Now they are dealing with just rebel civilians they find it is their 'duty' to uphold political legislation.

Written By: philbo on 10/30/11 at 1:25 pm

What makes me laugh is where was the UN when Gadaffi devised the Lockerbie bombings almost 25 years ago and where was the UN when Gadaffi was shooting his own people?

The UN are just cowards. Now they are dealing with just rebel civilians they find it is their 'duty' to uphold political legislation.

Sorry, but all that shows is that you have no idea what the UN is, and what its purpose is.  It isn't some kind of international police operation: if it were to try and set itself up like that, you can bet who'd be the first to shoot down the idea.

Written By: Tia on 10/30/11 at 4:56 pm

the UN is a deliberative body. it has no access to military force other than what its member states volunteer to provide. philbo is right, if you abhor the UN for failing to intervene militarily in a particular situation, you should take a few minutes to peruse the wikipedia entry on what sort of organization the UN is. there's a lot of misinformation out there; don't fall for it.

Check for new replies or respond here...