» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: O'Bama-Mortgage Refinance Program

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/11 at 6:08 pm

Been reading about this, I do not see much problem with it.

Fannie and Freddie already hold this debt and so they are already exposed to the default risk of the loans.  Lowering the interest rate will make the loans less "risky" to the homeowners so they will be more likely to keep up with payments.  The program does NOT reduce the principal amount owed.  And since you already have to be 6-months-current with your mortage payments, it would appear that the target homeowners are fairly decent credit risks.

So... I am OK with this.

What I WOULD object to is if Fannie/Freddie started offering NEW underwater loans that expose it to NEW RISK.

Subject: Re: O'Bama-Mortgage Refinance Program

Written By: Tia on 10/24/11 at 6:24 pm

it's hard to say but from how it looks now, it looks like just another way to shift liability from private banks to the taxpayer. if a private bank took control of a bogus mortgage to create a financial instrument and it went south, of course they'd love to be able to hand it back to FM/FM again. it's a backdoor bailout.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/11 at 6:49 pm

it's hard to say but from how it looks now, it looks like just another way to shift liability from private banks to the taxpayer. if a private bank took control of a bogus mortgage to create a financial instrument and it went south, of course they'd love to be able to hand it back to FM/FM again. it's a backdoor bailout.

Private bank mortgages are not part of this program.  This is ONLY for Fannie/Freddie mortgages.

I would agree with you if this involved refinancing private-bank mortgages into FM/FM jobbies.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/24/11 at 8:43 pm

They're robbing Peter to pay Paul, what else is new?
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/25/11 at 11:44 pm

They're robbing Peter to pay Paul, what else is new?
::)

Now, now, now, they're also kicking the can down the road.  That's gotta be worth something, right?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/11 at 11:51 pm

Now, now, now, they're also kicking the can down the road.  That's gotta be worth something, right?

And they're throwing good money after bad, which should increase their favor at the polls!

Check for new replies or respond here...