» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Time for Resignations at Penn State

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/06/11 at 10:43 am

This absolutely sickening story from my alma matre has hit the news wires this weekend.  8-P

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11310/1187878-454.stm

I have read the Grand Jury presentment, and based on the statements made by the school's President, Graham Spanier, and Joe Paterno... They should immediately tender their resignations.  I hope that the Board of Trustees demands it.

Paterno testified that an assistant saw the perp buggaring a 10-year-old kid in the locker room.  And what did he do when this was brought to his attention?  Call his boss the next day.  Meanwhile, Spanier is still defending the other bureaucrats who covered up for the perp, probably in some sort of effort to cover for himself.  It is not going to work.

Off with all their heads.  >:(

This story physically makes me sick; it is hard to belioeve that so many people, from the school janitor to the school President and Paterno either kept their mouths shut or passed the buck while young boys were abused.

Subject: Re: Time for Resignations at Penn State

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/08/11 at 7:23 pm

I just wrote letters to the heads of the Board of Trustees, strongly recommending that they fire everybody involved, including Joe Paterno and the school's President, Graham Spanier.  These guys simply cannot be allowed to continue in their jobs after this.  >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/09/11 at 12:17 pm

OK, now Paterno is out... well at the end of the season per his resignation statement.

Next to fall is Spanier.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/09/11 at 5:09 pm

McQueary saw Sandusky raping the ten year old, turned around, walked out leaving the kid there, and reported it.  I just can't stand this.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/09/11 at 6:37 pm

McQueary saw Sandusky raping the ten year old, turned around, walked out leaving the kid there, and reported it.  I just can't stand this.

McQueery needs to get the boot too.  He was 28 years old at the time.

WTF is the matter with these people? 

Written By: danootaandme on 11/09/11 at 8:19 pm

McQueery needs to get the boot too.  He was 28 years old at the time.

WTF is the matter with these people? 

All he had to do, at the very least, was say STOP, and take the kid out of there.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/10/11 at 9:25 am

I'm a lifelong Nebraska fan, and I'm beginning to think that maybe they shouldn't play Penn State on Saturday.

This is just too unprecedented and volatile and I just don't see how this game could or should be played under these circumstances.

Written By: Jessica on 11/10/11 at 10:42 am

I am taking this from someone on the Ohellnawl website, because they described PERFECTLY how I feel about this:

Let's please not sugar-coat what Sandusky did. He didn't "molest" these kids. That suggests that he fondled them or exposed himself or some such Catholic-priest type nastiness. What they caught this devil doing, what they SAW him doing with their own eyes, was anally sodomizing a screaming ten year old boy. They SAW this rancid, decrepit, evil old man raping a little boy and they quietly backed out of the locker room, then much later reported the "incident" to the head of Penn State. But first they cleaned their story up a bit, saying he was "only" fondling the boy. Again, especially for those who didn't know the extent of the evil in these people's souls, Sandusky was caught anally sodomizing a ten year old boy AND INSTEAD OF STOPPING HIM BY PUTTING A SHARP KNIFE IN-BETWEEN HIS EYES, THEY BACKED OUT OF THE LOCKER ROOM AND LET HIM FINISH HIS RAPE OF A CHILD! Then they spent a great deal of time trying to figure out a way to pretend this didn't happen. NOBODY BOTHERED CHECKING ON THE CHILD TO MAKE SURE HE WAS ALRIGHT NOR DID THEY CALL THE POLICE! I don't have the capacity to deal with evil on this level, I don't think most people do and I go between rage and a desire to see them all brutally murdered (like Sandusky has done to these boys' childhood and probably their entire life) and just wanting to cry my eyes out. I know I'm not the only one for whom this shyt hits close to home. This happens to way too many boys and girls, and of course, most boys don't even tell when this happens to them and so they don't ever get help. They grow up damaged. Hopefully these boys will now be identified and helped and beat the odds so they don't take their rage out on society, or themselves or on family. I hope they beat the odds but they probably won't and who is gonna answer for that?

As for the firing: No, losing their job and public shaming is NOT enough. They actually they all need to fuc*ing die a slow, excruciating death, each and every one of them, starting with Sandusky and going down to Paterno and the dean of this fuc*ed in the head school! And a thousand Penn State student retards rioted last night. You would think because they were out of their mind disgusted and hurt by what happened to those little boys but no; it was because his stupid, geriatric azz was fired. I seriously hate this fuc*ing country so damn much right now. I wish I was religious like many of you so I could believe in everlasting hell for all these people but since I don't, all I can do is hope karma destroys every one of them and their families.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/10/11 at 1:04 pm

I think firing Paterno is a step in the right direction but as Jessica posted-it is not enough.

This gets me:

http://news.yahoo.com/joe-paterno-fired-penn-state-students-riot-protest-082630177.html

It reminds me of the people who cheered about 234 executions or cheering about letting some guy die because he didn't have health insurance.

WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE??!!!!

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/10/11 at 10:33 pm

WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE??!!!!

It's football.

http://soonerpsycho.com/spfarksandpics/pedostatuepaterno.jpg

Much like politics, it's not about right or wrong, it's about their team winning.

The 23-page indictment is unpleasant reading, to say the least.  But as Dan Bernstein puts it, You Must Read The Grand Jury Report (link goes to Bernstein's killer editorial, not the indictment) anyway.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/11/11 at 6:20 pm

Beyond the obvious, this is just one more scandal around college athletics at the power house schools.  Seems to me the whole system needs to be changed so as to de-emphasis sports, and especially de-emphasis the money aspect of big school sports.  It could be a simple fix, just remove the profit motive and get back to what SPORTS are suppose to be about. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/11 at 8:07 pm

Have we learned NOTHING from the Catholic church's crimes against children?  This is the first thing I thought of.  Maureen Dowd also brought it up in her column.

You DO NOT protect pedophiles to protect your public image.

What's wrong with Sandusky?  He's a child rapist.  He's a sick bunny.  I don't think he can stop himself and the sooner he got stopped the better.  The hushed mouths McQuearey and Paterno caused harm to both Sandusky's victims and Sandusky.

Sandusky is out on bond tonight.  I can't believe they didn't remand him to custody.  He might do something drastic!

I don't think the PSU should have to cancel its football program for the rest of the season, as Chris Matthews called for.  Only the guilty parties should be punished.  I don't see any good in bringing up the entire PSU athletics program on charges.  

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/11/11 at 8:12 pm

Have we learned NOTHING from the Catholic church's crimes against children?  This is the first thing I thought of.  Maureen Dowd also brought it up in her column.

You DO NOT protect pedophiles to protect your public image.

What's wrong with Sandusky?  He's a child rapist.  He's a sick bunny.  I don't think he can stop himself and the sooner he got stopped the better.  The hushed mouths McQuearey and Paterno caused harm to both Sandusky's victims and Sandusky.

Sandusky is out on bond tonight.  I can't believe they didn't remand him to custody.  He might do something drastic!

I don't think the PSU should have to cancel its football program for the rest of the season, as Chris Matthews called for.  Only the guilty parties should be punished.  I don't see any good in bringing up the entire PSU athletics program on charges.  

After having read the nauseating Grand Jury presentation, I wanted to burn down the football building.  Sndusky should be sentenced to receive the proverbial lead enema, and actually McQueery deserves almost as bad.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/11 at 8:35 pm

After having read the nauseating Grand Jury presentation, I wanted to burn down the football building.  Sndusky should be sentenced to receive the proverbial lead enema, and actually McQueery deserves almost as bad.

Again, I don't want to punish the entire school, just like I don't want to punish the entire Catholic church.  Why dilute the blame?  Let the guilty stand alone.

However, I'm rethinking my position on canceling the rest of the football season...not for punishment, but for public safety.  They should at least cancel the 11/12 game.  Paterno's supporters intend to wear white to the next game in response to the baby blue to be worn by supporter's of the victims.  I see the potential for violence.

Written By: Jessica on 11/11/11 at 10:52 pm

I just finished reading the Grand Jury report.  I feel so f*cking sick now.

I truly would love to take my new PureKomachi pink chef's knife and ram it through Sandusky's heart....if he even has one.

Those poor kids....and god only knows how many other victims there are. :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/11 at 11:40 pm

I just finished reading the Grand Jury report.  I feel so f*cking sick now.

I truly would love to take my new PureKomachi pink chef's knife and ram it through Sandusky's heart....if he even has one.

Those poor kids....and god only knows how many other victims there are. :(

Sandusky might have been at it for 40+ years. 
8-P

Guys like Sandusky destroy their victims' minds as well.  They get in their heads with secrecy, guilt, and phony trust.  By the time the actual molestation starts, the kids are too confused or scared to speak up.  Victims carry the confusion and shame into their adult lives.  I was sexually abused in a non-physical way, but I was abused nonetheless.  It took me decades even to admit to myself that what happened was abuse.  I have barely begun to talk about it in therapy.  I didn't think it was sexual abuse for most of my life....which is typical among abuse victims.  Maybe it's thirty, forty years later, but you feel dirty and ashamed.  You feel like it's your fault, like you wanted it to happen.  You loathe yourself over something you could not control. 

How many of Sandusky's victims are out there suffering in silence tonight?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/11 at 12:26 pm

Sandusky might have been at it for 40+ years. 
8-P

Guys like Sandusky destroy their victims' minds as well.  They get in their heads with secrecy, guilt, and phony trust.  By the time the actual molestation starts, the kids are too confused or scared to speak up.  Victims carry the confusion and shame into their adult lives.  I was sexually abused in a non-physical way, but I was abused nonetheless.  It took me decades even to admit to myself that what happened was abuse.  I have barely begun to talk about it in therapy.  I didn't think it was sexual abuse for most of my life....which is typical among abuse victims.   Maybe it's thirty, forty years later, but you feel dirty and ashamed.  You feel like it's your fault, like you wanted it to happen.  You loathe yourself over something you could not control. 

How many of Sandusky's victims are out there suffering in silence tonight?

There are so many victims of this heinous crime out there-including many on this board!

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=6809.0

It is a crime that is rarely answered for. Hopefully, that will change.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/12/11 at 1:58 pm

Again, I don't want to punish the entire school, just like I don't want to punish the entire Catholic church.  Why dilute the blame?  Let the guilty stand alone.

However, I'm rethinking my position on canceling the rest of the football season...not for punishment, but for public safety.  They should at least cancel the 11/12 game.  Paterno's supporters intend to wear white to the next game in response to the baby blue to be worn by supporter's of the victims.  I see the potential for violence.

Husker fan here.

Before the game started, both teams met at midfield and knelt as one of Nebraska's assistant coaches led them in prayer. It was one of the most classy moments I've ever seen at a sporting event, and I think it was a great way to kind of diffuse the tension and set the tone.

More later.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/12/11 at 4:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5y2iiMZnuM

Written By: Satish on 11/14/11 at 10:32 pm

Apparently, a janitor at Penn State witnessed Sandusky performing an overtly sexual act on a boy in the shower facilities back in 2000. He told other members of the janitorial staff. They were all too scared to report the incident because they were worried it might cost them their jobs, perhaps because Sandusky was such an influential and well known figure at Penn State, being a highly successful former assistant coach of the football team. The janitor who saw the incident was a frail, old man who was said by the other staff members to be deeply shaken and in hysterics over what he witnessed. He's currently in a nursing home suffering from dementia and was deemed to be too mentally unfit to be questioned in the recent investigation.

Anyone think there's something wrong with that? Why were the janitors too afraid to report having witnessed a heinous crime because they were worried it might cost them their jobs?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/14/11 at 10:42 pm

Sandusky told Bob  Costas he didn't do it.
::)

Written By: Jessica on 11/15/11 at 12:08 am

Sandusky told Bob  Costas he didn't do it.

Yeah, I just read that he said he's innocent.  I just want to punch him.  Repeatedly.  With a shank.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/15/11 at 12:21 am

Yeah, I just read that he said he's innocent.  I just want to punch him.  Repeatedly.  With a shank.

Well, he says he did shower with the kids, which he regrets.  And he did touch their legs...with no ill intent.

Didn't his lawyer tell him to keep his goddam trap shut?  If he didn't, he should be disbarred.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/disgust.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/15/11 at 12:25 am

Why were the janitors too afraid to report having witnessed a heinous crime because they were worried it might cost them their jobs?

My beef with JoePA is that he was high enough on the totem pole that people would have believed him.  The janitor never stood a chance, and I can cut him some slack.

Because the Judge who let Sandusky off on bail was also a volunteer for Sandusky's victim farm"charity".  Because the PSU attorney who read the police report also worked at the victim farm"charity". Because the governor was on the University's Board of Trustees. Because the district attorney was legally declared dead six years after his disappearance (odd, they found a laptop with the hard drive wiped).  Because what we've seen so far might be the tip of the iceberg.

None of those disparate (but interesting) coincidences have been conclusively linked together.  Any evidence of a conspiracy, if it exists, has not been made public.  If the evidence doesn't exist (it's quite possible that there is no grand conspiracy), then by definition, there's no evidence that needs to be made public.  But if there is a bigger conspiracy afoot, and even if the evidence for it does exist, it will never be made public - at least if history is any guide.

Would I give up my job to take down some run-of-the-mill freak?  Gladly.  But depending on what sorts of rumors had been floating around the office, would I give up my life for nothing?  Different sort of question altogether.

Written By: Jessica on 11/15/11 at 12:26 am

Well, he says he did shower with the kids, which he regrets.  And he did touch their legs...with no ill intent.

Didn't his lawyer tell him to keep his goddam trap shut?  If he didn't, he should be disbarred.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/disgust.gif

His lawyer doesn't sound any better:

Sandusky's lawyer, Joe Amendola, said Monday night that showering with children does not equate automatically to sexual assault.
"Jerry Sandusky is a big, overgrown kid. He's a jock," Amendola told CNN's Anderson Cooper. "The bottom line is jocks do that -- they kid around, they horse around."

*headdesk*

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/15/11 at 12:29 am

*headdesk*

Hey, that excuse worked for Michael Jackson... (Sorry, Appolonia, but if the Foo sh*umm*, if the shoe fits...)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/15/11 at 12:33 am

His lawyer doesn't sound any better:

*headdesk*

That's pretty f**ked up.  Sandusky would be better off pro se!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/15/11 at 12:36 am

Hey, that excuse worked for Michael Jackson... (Sorry, Appolonia, but if the Foo sh*umm*, if the shoe fits...)

Did you see the videos of him talking about how much he loves kids and what a special connection he has with them?  Tell me he does not SCREAM child molester!

I wouldn't have let my kid go to his camp, that's for sure!

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/15/11 at 6:23 am

Would I give up my job to take down some run-of-the-mill freak?  Gladly.  But depending on what sorts of rumors had been floating around the office, would I give up my life for nothing?  Different sort of question altogether.

I don't buy the janitor's lack of guilt for a minute.  He sees Sandusky giving some kid a BJ (or the other way around, I forget which) and then comes to his boss, sobbing about how he was a big-ass Korean War veteran and never saw anything as bad.  Then keeps his damned mouth shut about it.

Any veteran I've ever known woulda come out of that locker room with Sandusky's blood on his hands.  The janitor had absolutely no spine whatsoever and his silence was a supremely selfish act.  His behavior in my opinion does dishonor to veterans everywhere.

If he had caught Sandusky rifling through his locker stealing pocket change, or out in the lot stealing his car, you can be assured he would not be "keeping silent so as to save his job".  He'e be hopping mad and would call the cops.  But the kid being raped... well, it was no direct offense to the janitor so he contrived an excuse for his selfish decision to keep silent.

I imagine the same sort of twisted value system is what kept everybody else quiet on this too.

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/15/11 at 12:46 pm

When asked "Are you sexually attracted to young/underage boys?" I would think the response of an innocent person would be "No!!!" or "HELL, NO!!!" or maybe even a bit more harsh.

Sandusky's reply "Am I sexually attracted to underage boys?" *pause* "Sexually attracted? You know, I, I, enjoy young people, I love to be around them. Um, I, I, but no I'm not sexually attracted to young boys."

(I typed as I listend to his answer.)

SICK MAN!!!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/15/11 at 5:44 pm

And...it just keeps getting better.  :P

Sandusky lawyer impregnated teenage girl: report

By TIM PERONE

Posted: 9:14 PM, November 14, 2011

The lawyer for accused pedophile and former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky reportedly impregnated a teenage girl more than a decade ago.

Joe Amendola, 63, was the attorney for Mary Iavasile’s emancipation petition from Sept. 3, 1996, which was filed just weeks before her 17th birthday, according to Centre County Courthouse documents obtained by iPad newspaper The Daily.

That’s approximately when Iavasile became pregnant with Amendola’s child, her mother, Janet Iavasile, told The Daily.

“At the time, I didn’t know the extent of the relationship,” said Janet.

Amendola seemed more like Mary’s “mentor,” she described the relationship between her teenage daughter and a man in his late 40s.

“She met him through the school district; she was interested in the law,” the mother said.

Amendola and Mary, who is now 32, later married in February 2003, according to court records.

They had a second child around that time but have since split up, Janet said, adding that she now has respect for Amendola.

“Joe is a very good father and has loved his two children very much, and that’s the most important thing for me right now,” she said.

Neither Amendola nor Mary Iavasile returned requests for comment.

Records show that the age of consent in Pennsylvania is 16 years old.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/sandusky_lawyer_impregnated_teenage_7jKwQMCeBlm9RSdr9zeutK

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/15/11 at 6:03 pm

But wait...there's more!  :o :o :o

http://deadspin.com/5859075/judge-who-set-unsecured-bail-for-jerry-sandusky-is-a-second-mile-volunteer-%5Bupdate%5D

I'm beginning to think that we've just seen the tip of the iceberg, and that this very well could ultimately go much further than just Joe Paterno and Penn State University. I kind of wonder if we're going to have another Franklin cover-up on our hands.  :-\\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_child_prostitution_ring_allegations

Written By: Jessica on 11/15/11 at 7:20 pm

But wait...there's more!  :o :o :o

http://deadspin.com/5859075/judge-who-set-unsecured-bail-for-jerry-sandusky-is-a-second-mile-volunteer-%5Bupdate%5D

I'm beginning to think that we've just seen the tip of the iceberg, and that this very well could ultimately go much further than just Joe Paterno and Penn State University. I kind of wonder if we're going to have another Franklin cover-up on our hands.  :-\\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_child_prostitution_ring_allegations

I thought there was something fishy about him being released on bail.  That explains it.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/15/11 at 7:36 pm

I thought there was something fishy about him being released on bail.  That explains it.

I have this feeling that Jerry Sandusky isn't going to be alive much longer. Either someone's going to kill him, he's going to kill himself, or someone's going to make it look like he killed himself. If the rumor about Second Mile being a front for a child prostitution ring is true, then someone's going to want to hush him up.  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/15/11 at 8:15 pm

I have this feeling that Jerry Sandusky isn't going to be alive much longer. Either someone's going to kill him, he's going to kill himself, or someone's going to make it look like he killed himself. If the rumor about Second Mile being a front for a child prostitution ring is true, then someone's going to want to hush him up.  :o

Or maybe somebody will just kick him square in the 'nards.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/15/11 at 8:18 pm

By the way, fomer PSU president, Graham Spanier, just resigned from the board of directors at US Steel.

Kinda saw that coming.  John Surma, Chairman and CEO over at US Steel, was the guy who announced Spanier's ouster from PSU.

I always thought Spanier was a phony anyway.  He had no business on the BOD of a steel company.

Written By: Jessica on 11/15/11 at 8:27 pm

I'm sure there's a long line of people wanting to send him to hell.  Shoot, I didn't even know who this dude was until the scandal broke, but I would purely love to test out my new knives on his genitalia.

Or maybe somebody will just kick him square in the 'nards.

Along with c*nt punting the judge who let him out on bail.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/15/11 at 9:00 pm

“At the time, I didn’t know the extent of the relationship,” said Janet.

Amendola seemed more like Mary’s “mentor,” she described the relationship between her teenage daughter and a man in his late 40s.

Sometimes all you can say is SHEESH!

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/15/11 at 9:07 pm

Sandusky lawyer impregnated teenage girl: report

The lawyer for accused pedophile and former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky reportedly impregnated a teenage girl more than a decade ago.

Records show that the age of consent in Pennsylvania is 16 years old.

Pennsylvania consists of Picksburgh and Philadelphia, with Alabama West Virginia in the middle.  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/15/11 at 10:33 pm

Any veteran I've ever known woulda come out of that locker room with Sandusky's blood on his hands.

You got a point there.  It's only with 20/20 hindsight - decades later - as all the pieces are falling into place that it looks like there's a conspiracy afoot.

But that night, what the janitor saw - was insufficient evidence to assume a bizarro conspiracy involving a victim farm, at least one lawyer, at least one judge, and whatever else is down the rabbit hole (for example, the bit about Sandusky's lawyer's 16-year-old girlfriend is a twist more bizarro than the stuff the Onion was running as satire as recently as last week).  But what was seen was more than sufficient cause to submit one's resignation, preferably in the form of fisticuffs.  

And now, the part of the interview that didn't get aired:

BOB COSTAS:

19:00:28:00: "But isn't what you're just describing the classic MO of many pedophiles? And that is that they gain the trust of young people, they don't necessarily abuse every young person. There were hundreds, if not thousands of young boys you came into contact with, but there are allegations that at least eight of them were victimized. Many people believe there are more to come. So it's entirely possible that you could've helped young boy A in some way that was not objectionable while horribly taking advantage of young boy B, C, D, and E. Isn't that possible?"

JERRY SANDUSKY:

19:01:01:00: "Well -- you might think that. I don't know. (LAUGHS) In terms of -- my relationship with so many, many young people. I would-- I would guess that there are many young people who would come forward. Many more young people who would come forward and say that my methods and-- and what I had done for them made a very positive impact on their life. And I didn't go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I've helped. There are many that I didn't have-- I hardly had any contact with who I have helped in many, many ways."
Costas then asks Sandusky if he is sexually attracted to young boys, the portion of the interview that was shown on "Rock Center."

BOB COSTAS:

19:01:47:00: "Are you sexually attracted to young boys, to underage boys?"

"Am I sexually attracted to underage boys?" Sandusky repeats.

"Yes," Costas answers.

"Sexually attracted, you know, I -- I enjoy young people," Sandusky says. "I -- I love to be around them. I -- I -- but no I'm not sexually attracted to young boys."

*blink*

That non-denial denial is so transparent it's already becoming a meme:

Hand in the Cookie Jar: "Was I stealing cookies? *stare hole in the floor* Yes, my hand was in the cookie jar but I didn't steal any cookies. I don't like to eat cookies, though I do like cookies."
Cheating Husband: "Sleep with the babysitter on our bed, I mean, our babysitter's great, I enjoy spending time with her, and our bed is very comfortable, but no, I didn't sleep with the babysitter on our bed."
Ronald Reagan: "Well, in those days we felt we had an urgent, and I mean imperative need to help the Central American freedom fighters, and we were dealing with a significant amount of congressional overreach, in that, you know, foreign policy is generally something that belongs to the executive branch, but no, I would never break the law like that."
Bill Clinton: "Have sex with that woman, I mean, I like to smoke cigars, I like oral sex, and I didn't have access to my humidor that day, but no, I did not have sex with that woman."
Attorney General Gonzalez: "Violate the Geneva convention, I mean, waterboarding is a very effective interrogation technique, and I enjoy writing legal briefs that justify effective techniques, but no, I didn't violate the Geneva convention."
Sarah Palin: "Newspapers that I read, I mean, newspapers are great, and I enjoy using them in the bird cage, and they have lots of big words, but, I read all of them."
OJ Simpson: "If I Did It?  I mean, she was a money hungry bitch with a bad attitude and I was pretty sick of her bitching, but no, I did not kill my wife."
Obi-Wan Kenobi: "Darth Vader your father, I mean, there are peices of him that were once Anakin Skywalker, and I enjoy that he is more machine now than man, but no, Vader is not your father."

The most fascinating thing about this case now is that Sandusky appears to be so used to being idolized and having his excuses taken at face value by a fawning public (or potential unindicted co-conspirators) that he actually believes his own BS.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/15/11 at 10:37 pm

In other news:

City council of Sandusky, Ohio, contemplates name change...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/16/11 at 6:51 am

Pennsylvania consists of Picksburgh and Philadelphia, with Alabama West Virginia Intercourse in the middle.  ;D

Fixed.  :D

Written By: danootaandme on 11/16/11 at 8:23 am

Paterno, a college football coach, retires with a $500,000 a year pension.  ummmmmmmmmmmmmm  ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/16/11 at 8:37 am

Paterno, a college football coach, retires with a $500,000 a year pension.  ummmmmmmmmmmmmm  ???

Yeah, but if it's proven in court that he indeed knew about Sandusky and had at least some part in the cover-up then he'll undoubtedly lose most if not all of it once the victims take action against him in civil court.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/16/11 at 8:41 am

Yeah, but if it's proven in court that he indeed knew about Sandusky and had at least some part in the cover-up then he'll undoubtedly lose most if not all of it once the victims take action against him in civil court.

That will take years of litigation, he's 84.  IMHO that is an excessive payout, anyway, for any institution that receives federal funding.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/16/11 at 4:59 pm

That will take years of litigation, he's 84.  IMHO that is an excessive payout, anyway, for any institution that receives federal funding.

Well, apparently even if he does get sued, they won't get his house.  ::)

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201111/joepas-real-estate-move-raises-suspicious-eyebrows

I fear it may be a while before this whole scandal hits rock bottom.  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/16/11 at 6:51 pm

Paterno, a college football coach, retires with a $500,000 a year pension.  ummmmmmmmmmmmmm   ???

State-related insititutions have quite favorable pension calculations in Pennsylvania.

Figure his base salary was $500k per year and he had 61 years of service.  Plus the reverse-actuarials of retiring at 84.  I'm surprised his pension is not higher than that.  :P

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/18/11 at 5:43 pm

Great letter to the Editor today:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/52912022-82/football-coach-college-deep.html.csp

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/18/11 at 6:18 pm

And now it's been announced that Joe Paterno has lung cancer: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Joe-Paterno-former-Penn-State-coach-has-lung-cancer-son-says-111811/

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/19/11 at 10:50 am

Great letter to the Editor today:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/52912022-82/football-coach-college-deep.html.csp

An excellent letter which points to a need to reform college athletics from the bottom up and in every direction

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/19/11 at 12:38 pm

Some of the fanfare regarding Paterno's ouster is now going over the top.  I fully agree with the board's decision to terminate him and Spanier.  Heck, I sent letters to the Chairman and Vice Chairman basically demanding it.  But I also respect that some people might see that approach as being too harsh.

Anyway, Franco Harris, a former player for Paterno, came out and stated his opinion that Paterno had been railroaded.  As a result, a local racetrack has terminated Franco's endorsement contract, and a local nonprofit, the "Pittsburgh Promise" caused Franco to step down as their chairman due to his remarks, largely due to grandstanding by Picksburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl.

There's now a witch hunt to deride anybody who has an alternative viewpoint to "off with Paterno's head" and this is not right...

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/24/11 at 8:16 am

In other news:

Can they call Sandusky...Callhan, Ohio? Like the industry in "Tommy Boy"?

But as for Penn State, (I Think) PSU wanted to get rid of Joe Paterno for awhile since he's 84, going on 85. The Sandusky Scandal was PERFECT for it! Get Paterno fired, have him die in shame, and now it looks like The Paterno Family CAN'T even be on Penn State Campus!

What next...a Depaternization? (It's like Destalinization that happened when Kruchev took over Russia).

But if I was The Penn State Pres, I would put Paterno on sabbatical because he'll be going to Harrisburg to state his case. And as for Sandusky...get Chris Hansen on his ass!

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/24/11 at 11:36 am

In other news:

I wonder if Multiple Dystrophy will stop referring to "Jerry's Kids" because of this too? ???

Written By: danootaandme on 11/24/11 at 4:34 pm

Can they call Sandusky...Callhan, Ohio? Like the industry in "Tommy Boy"?

But as for Penn State, (I Think) PSU wanted to get rid of Joe Paterno for awhile since he's 84, going on 85. The Sandusky Scandal was PERFECT for it! Get Paterno fired, have him die in shame, and now it looks like The Paterno Family CAN'T even be on Penn State Campus!

What next...a Depaternization? (It's like Destalinization that happened when Kruchev took over Russia).

But if I was The Penn State Pres, I would put Paterno on sabbatical because he'll be going to Harrisburg to state his case. And as for Sandusky...get Chris Hansen on his ass!

The Paterno family is welcome on Campus.  His son was at the next game, on the field.  As for Chris Hanson, he is in trouble himself after being caught cheating on his wife  ;D

There was a brouhaha today, whining about Mrs. Paterno being denied entrance into the swimming pool.  Turns out the pool was closed.  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/24/11 at 11:26 pm

There was a brouhaha today, whining about Mrs. Paterno being denied entrance into the swimming pool.  

You mean like this?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/lanedek/Great_Habbo_Raid_Pools_Packed.png

Turns out the pool was closed.  ::)

Oh come on.  That's too easy.

http://www.hatetank.net/var/albums/4chan_Pools_Closed.jpg

(Picture is probably at least 4 years old - but life imitates art these days.  The Pool's Closed meme refers to the The Great Habbo Raid of July 2006.  Warning: that ED link probably has lots of naughty words.)

Oh, and hey. As long as we're talking about the whether or not the swimming pool's closed... the betting pool's still open as to whether or not Sandusky may or may not have have kept it in the family.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/25/11 at 1:25 pm

http://www.repmanblog.com/.a/6a00d8341c39e853ef0162fc61731d970d-320wi

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/25/11 at 1:28 pm

The Paterno family is welcome on Campus.  His son was at the next game, on the field.  As for Chris Hanson, he is in trouble himself after being caught cheating on his wife   ;D

There was a brouhaha today, whining about Mrs. Paterno being denied entrance into the swimming pool.  Turns out the pool was closed.  ::)

Okay, then I digress...

So Penn State will let JoePa around his campus? Now I know once I got fired at my 1st job, I didn't even walk-in the place I used to work until like a month later. And I'm STILL welcomed with opened-arms.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/28/11 at 11:01 am

So now another sex scandal, this time at Syracuse University.  Another assistant coach molesting under age boys.  I guess sports teams are a lure if you're  into that scene 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/11 at 12:42 pm

It is not just men. I once had a gym teacher who was VERY butch. I heard this story about her. One girl went to her and told her she didn't feel up to participating in gym that day because she had her period. The teacher said, "Let me see." The girl went running out of the office. I didn't hear what happened after that. I'm not saying that the teacher actually DID anything to any of the girls, I'm just saying that it COULD have happened.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 11/28/11 at 5:09 pm

It is not just men. I once had a gym teacher who was VERY butch. I heard this story about her. One girl went to her and told her she didn't feel up to participating in gym that day because she had her period. The teacher said, "Let me see." The girl went running out of the office. I didn't hear what happened after that. I'm not saying that the teacher actually DID anything to any of the girls, I'm just saying that it COULD have happened.

Cat

In Junior High we had a very butch gym teacher.  After every gym class we had to shower, wrap a towel around us, and, one at a time,  go into her office so she could see that we showered.  She looked at some longer than others.  We all got ourselves the biggest towels we could get.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/28/11 at 7:01 pm

In Junior High we had a very butch gym teacher. 

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

http://s11.allstarpics.net/images/orig/w/0/w0g5shdxv8errex.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/11 at 8:29 pm

I still remember burying my head in the locker trying not to notice my junior high gym teacher strutting around the shower room with his dong bobbing back and forth.  He wasn't a pervo or nothing, I think he figured, "Why be embarrassed, just us guys, right?"
Yeah, but still...ewww!
8-P

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/29/11 at 11:40 pm

I still remember burying my head in the locker trying not to notice my junior high gym teacher strutting around the shower room with his dong bobbing back and forth.  He wasn't a pervo or nothing, I think he figured, "Why be embarrassed, just us guys, right?"
Yeah, but still...ewww!
8-P

I'm in the "eewww" camp.  But I think you're onto something.  I think it's generational, not age-related.  I hope it's generational, and that having been born on the correct side of the generational gap, I won't end up like that no matter how old I get.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/minor_differences2/7.png

- The Oatmeal.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/11 at 12:07 am

I'm in the "eewww" camp.  But I think you're onto something.  I think it's generational, not age-related.  I hope it's generational, and that having been born on the correct side of the generational gap, I won't end up like that no matter how old I get.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/minor_differences2/7.png

- The Oatmeal.

Exactly! You know the old men with the big green splotches which once were tattoos?  The WWII Navy guys!  Us Gen X-ers had a code of silence and blinders in the showers.  Not the Greatest Generation!  It's a slap on the back, and "Hey, hey, Ernie, how ya doin'?"  I think after seven months on a submarine you lose your shyness for life!
8)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/30/11 at 9:44 am

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

http://s11.allstarpics.net/images/orig/w/0/w0g5shdxv8errex.jpg

THAT"S HER!!!! (well close enough)  ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/30/11 at 11:48 am

Seems to me that this thread has gone in a weird direction. 

To me, these scandals point to a major problem in college athletics.  Not that there are prevs around looking to pry on young men or women, but that's to be expected.  The problem to me is that because "sports" are such big money makers, colleges are willing to look the other way, especially
at the power house schools like Penn State.  Change the $$$ system and you remove at least part of the reason for looking the other way, as Paterno did

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/11 at 12:18 pm

THAT"S HER!!!! (well close enough)   ;D

I think I had the same teacher.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/01/11 at 9:43 pm

Seems to me that this thread has gone in a weird direction. 

You're not that new here...

To me, these scandals point to a major problem in college athletics.  Not that there are prevs around looking to pry on young men or women, but that's to be expected.   The problem to me is that because "sports" are such big money makers, colleges are willing to look the other way, especially
at the power house schools like Penn State.  Change the $$$ system and you remove at least part of the reason for looking the other way, as Paterno did

This.

Meanwhile, in Syracuse...

Apparently you had to bang both the husband and the wife to make the team.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/01/11 at 9:46 pm

That's what we call "Taking one two for the team"...  :-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/11 at 10:20 pm

Not sure how much I want to know about "his big bone of contention"!
8-P

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/02/11 at 11:31 am

You're not that new here...

This.

Meanwhile, in Syracuse...

No, been around for years.

The Syracuse think is really weird

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/03/11 at 6:06 pm

The Syracuse thing is really weird

Have to agree with you on that one.  The perp's wife is caught on tape saying "It's all about the d*ck".

My opinion... it is time to take college football and put it where it belongs... as an amateur event devoid of all the big money.  Take away the money and most of the corruption and misplaced "power" goes away.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/03/11 at 10:08 pm

My opinion... it is time to take college football and put it where it belongs... as an amateur event devoid of all the big money.  Take away the money and most of the corruption and misplaced "power" goes away.

This.

What do universities have to do with football or basketball anyways?  (If it's just to farm talent for the NFL/NBA, why do we hear nothing of "college baseball"?)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/11 at 10:37 pm

This.

What do universities have to do with football or basketball anyways?  (If it's just to farm talent for the NFL/NBA, why do we hear nothing of "college baseball"?)

I agree with LB, there's too much money and power in college sports...but I don't see a way of putting the genie back in the bottle.  That is, there's too much money it to take the money back out of it.

As for a sicko like Sandusky, he'd figure out a way to abuse kids regardless of his station in life!

Written By: Jessica on 12/04/11 at 12:30 am

As for a sicko like Sandusky, he'd figure out a way to abuse kids regardless of his station in life!

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to know how he's conducting his own investigation. :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/11 at 1:37 am

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to know how he's conducting his own investigation. :o

Meh, no worries.  That thing will go over like a lead balloon.  What conclusions could Sandusky's investigations arrive at...and would anybody with an IQ above room-temperature believe the?

Thank about it for a moment.

Yeah, right.  He'll probably sink himself deeper into the doo-doo if he insists on detailing his own account!  If I was Sandusky's lawyer, I'd superglue his mouth shut and censor every email he tries to send!

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/04/11 at 11:28 am

Have to agree with you on that one.  The perp's wife is caught on tape saying "It's all about the d*ck".

I said  the same thing back on page 1.

I agree with LB, there's too much money and power in college sports...but I don't see a way of putting the genie back in the bottle.  That is, there's too much money it to take the money back out of it.

It would take a major reform.  Allow colleges to keep only enough of the $$$ to support their programs and dedicate the rest to national academic scholarships.  forbid any coach from making more than the average full professor - assistant coaches, the average assistant prof.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/04/11 at 12:23 pm

The University of Chicago did it in the 1930's and left the world of Big Football ( they are technically a member of the Big Ten but do not play in it ever since they stopped their program).  Now they play in Division 2 or 3 as a small time program.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/11 at 12:23 pm

I said  the same thing back on page 1.
It would take a major reform.  Allow colleges to keep only enough of the $$$ to support their programs and dedicate the rest to national academic scholarships.  forbid any coach from making more than the average full professor - assistant coaches, the average assistant prof.

Yes, it's an outrage when the basketball coach makes triple what the chair of the English dept. makes.  Everybody says so.  But no major university wants to be the first to plunge into those reforms.  If Wisconsin does, Illinois won't, and guess who gets more revenue and more pop culture exposure!

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/05/11 at 11:08 am

Yes, it's an outrage when the basketball coach makes triple what the chair of the English dept. makes.  Everybody says so.  But no major university wants to be the first to plunge into those reforms.  If Wisconsin does, Illinois won't, and guess who gets more revenue and more pop culture exposure!

True enough, that's why the NCAA should change the rule and kick out non compliers

Written By: Jessica on 12/05/11 at 4:59 pm

The University of Chicago did it in the 1930's and left the world of Big Football ( they are technically a member of the Big Ten but do not play in it ever since they stopped their program).  Now they play in Division 2 or 3 as a small time program.

So that's why they don't have it.  I was wondering, but Rice didn't know.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/05/11 at 6:38 pm

So that's why they don't have it.  I was wondering, but Rice didn't know.

Yeah, Maynard Hutchins was the guy who killed off the big-time "Monsters of the Midway" football program.  I remember as a kid, my Dad did not have many kind words to say about Hutchins doing that, and Dad was not even a U of C graduate.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...