» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Had Enough Yet?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/09/11 at 12:10 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-1109-christmas-tree-wars-20111109,0,2983619.story

By executive edict Uncle Sam will now be taking a $0.15 tax for every Christmas tree sold or imported into the United States, so that the live tree industry can fight off artificial ones.

Had enough yet? ???

Subject: Re: Had Enough Yet?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/09/11 at 1:01 pm

All the problems with the country, and the Republicans are focused on a $0.15 per tree tax used to offset the cost of advertising for selling the tree... wow. 

yes I have had enough.  Enough of the right-wing noise machine nonsense.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/11 at 1:08 pm

All the problems with the country, and the Republicans are focused on a $0.15 per tree tax used to offset the cost of advertising for selling the tree... wow. 

yes I have had enough.  Enough of the right-wing noise machine nonsense.

Couldn't have said it better, myself. Karma.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 11/09/11 at 1:21 pm

looks like this is two industries -- the artificial tree industry and the organic tree industry -- lobbying the government to eliminate competition through tax policy. roll back private influence on public policy and you'll see less of this sort of thing. of course, the right wants to go in the exact opposite direction.

the right's ideology is so simplistic that they simply do not grasp the law of unintended consequences. they complain about excessive government regulation of business, for instance (never mind that the BP disaster and the 2008 crash show that government regulation of the private sector is woefully ineffective, regardless of its quantity). But they don't get that big businesses often LIKE and lobby for needless regulation, because they have the resources to comply but it drives small-business competitors out of business. but the right, because its mode of thinking is so two-dimensional, can't see this. they just assume taxation and regulation must always be government independently harassing noble businesses. they've somehow missed the fact that government and business have become completely intertwined and still see them as being in an adversarial relationship. don't i wish.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/09/11 at 2:03 pm

The funniest part of the latest "Tempest in a Tea Party" is that the whole thing started in 2008 before Obama was even elected. Facts never get in the way of outrage though. 

It's pretty similar to the dairy council raising money for it's "Got Milk?" campaign and was something the tree growers asked the government for.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/09/11 at 4:41 pm

So I see you have not had enough.  Heck it is only 15 cents.

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."

James Madison, 1788

Written By: danootaandme on 11/09/11 at 5:06 pm

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."

James Madison, 1788

He said as his slave drew his bath.

Written By: Tia on 11/09/11 at 6:19 pm

James Madison, 1788

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/page/owned-45053.jpg

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/11 at 10:09 am

James Madison, 1788

"This way to the egress" - PT Barnum

it's a distraction, and a piss poor one at that. I guess the rubes in the Republican party fall for it though.

This is the tax bill that upsets me and I'm sure it will cost me a whole lot more than 15 cents every year. 

Scenario one: Obama administration blocks Christmas Tree tax the right wing response: "Obama hates Christmas"

Scenario two: Obama administration allows Christmas Tree funding without tax to pay for it the right wing response: "Unfunded mandates!"

Scenario three is the one we have now.  "OMG TAX!"

There's no pleasing a group that is going to claim you're doing something wrong no matter what you do.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/11 at 8:43 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-1109-christmas-tree-wars-20111109,0,2983619.story

By executive edict Uncle Sam will now be taking a $0.15 tax for every Christmas tree sold or imported into the United States, so that the live tree industry can fight off artificial ones.

Had enough yet? ???

There, there, LB!  Maybe Santa Claus will put fifteen cents in your stocking!

Okay, so I used to own a "Christmas tree" farm.  Now I own a "winter home decorations" farm.  Uncle Sam ain't getting another 15¢ out of  me OR my customers!
;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/12/11 at 10:27 am

There, there, LB!  Maybe Santa Claus will put fifteen cents in your stocking!

Okay, so I used to own a "Christmas tree" farm.  Now I own a "winter home decorations" farm.  Uncle Sam ain't getting another 15¢ out of  me OR my customers!
;)

Y'all seem to have missed the fact that it was thhe growers association that asked for the tax

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/11 at 10:34 am

K +1  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/11 at 10:35 am

"This way to the egress" - PT Barnum

it's a distraction, and a piss poor one at that. I guess the rubes in the Republican party fall for it though.

This is the tax bill that upsets me and I'm sure it will cost me a whole lot more than 15 cents every year. 

Scenario one: Obama administration blocks Christmas Tree tax the right wing response: "Obama hates Christmas"

Scenario two: Obama administration allows Christmas Tree funding without tax to pay for it the right wing response: "Unfunded mandates!"

Scenario three is the one we have now.  "OMG TAX!"

There's no pleasing a group that is going to claim you're doing something wrong no matter what you do.

karma +1

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/12/11 at 7:17 pm

So I see you have not had enough.  Heck it is only 15 cents.

I worry about the 15% of my net worth that evaporated when Sen. DeMint decided he didn't want to play ball this summer and prompted a credit downgrade, not the $0.15 for the Christmas tree.

http://i.imgur.com/FlzVJ.jpg

But you go right on ahead worrying about whatever your political leaders tell you to worry about.  Let me know how it works out for ya.

Check for new replies or respond here...