» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Tea Party vs Occupy - which group ihas the most employed protesters

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/11 at 11:53 am

Get a What? A Job? 70% of Occupy Wall Streeters are Employed, Compared to 56% of Tea Partiers

well, I guess that stereotype will die now right?

Subject: Re: Tea Party vs Occupy - which group ihas the most employed protesters

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/10/11 at 1:07 pm

Get a What? A Job? 70% of Occupy Wall Streeters are Employed, Compared to 56% of Tea Partiers

well, I guess that stereotype will die now right?

Nope-the stereotype will not die because Chucky, you seem to forget that there are many people who don't let the facts get in the way.

Cat

Subject: Re: Tea Party vs Occupy - which group ihas the most employed protesters

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/11 at 3:11 pm

Nope-the stereotype will not die because Chucky, you seem to forget that there are many people who don't let the facts get in the way.

are those people called Conservatives by any chance?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/10/11 at 3:55 pm

are those people called Conservatives by any chance?

Conservatives is one name to call them. I would call them believers of "Faux News."

Cat

Written By: philbo on 11/11/11 at 9:27 am

If one third of Tea Party members are retired, it's not quite the same thing as what is implied by "not employed", in that it works out as being 84% of people of working age are employed.

..not sure exactly what the relevance is.  I suppose if the OWS lot are being characterised by Fox as "unemployed layabouts", then showing that 70% are in work should counter that particular argument.

I did think the placard saying "Reform campaign financing so that big business doesn't gain control over our politicians" was maybe a trifle hopeful.  (To put it another way... where have you been for the last few decades?)

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/11/11 at 11:15 am

..not sure exactly what the relevance is.  I suppose if the OWS lot are being characterised by Fox as "unemployed layabouts", then showing that 70% are in work should counter that particular argument.

The Chicago protest was showered with McDonald's employee applications last week... so I think the "unemployed losers" stereotype is pretty entrenched.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/11 at 8:16 pm

The Chicago protest was showered with McDonald's employee applications last week... so I think the "unemployed losers" stereotype is pretty entrenched.

In any case, I'm not down with calling economically distressed people "losers."  That's Howie Carr talk.

I would hope the #OWS would have a higher percentage of unemployed people in their ranks because it would demonstrate to me that the unemployed are looking out for their interests. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/12/11 at 7:06 pm

I would hope the #OWS would have a higher percentage of unemployed people in their ranks because it would demonstrate to me that the unemployed are looking out for their interests.  

The jobs numbers are BS anyways.  The government itself admits as such: Really.

As just one example, if you've gotten your 99th week (or wherever the limit is) of unemployment benefits, and you still don't have a job, you're no longer assumed to be actively looking for work, and you cease to be part of the labor force.

Every time an Atlas shrugs (whether he retires at 45 after some stupid dot-com deal, walks away from the rat-race and lives off his savings at 35, or graduates from college and just crashes out at his buddy's place at 25), the "unemployment rate" drops, and an angel gets its wings (or God kills a kitten, depending on your political persuasion).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/11 at 2:02 am

The jobs numbers are BS anyways.  The government itself admits as such: Really.

As just one example, if you've gotten your 99th week (or wherever the limit is) of unemployment benefits, and you still don't have a job, you're no longer assumed to be actively looking for work, and you cease to be part of the labor force.

Every time an Atlas shrugs (whether he retires at 45 after some stupid dot-com deal, walks away from the rat-race and lives off his savings at 35, or graduates from college and just crashes out at his buddy's place at 25), the "unemployment rate" drops, and an angel gets its wings (or God kills a kitten, depending on your political persuasion).

If I had it to do over again, I would do everything in my power to prevent me from having to rely on THOSE azzwholes for a "job."  For richer or for poorer, it would feel more dignified!
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...