» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Dem Administrations Put the Smack Down on the "99%"

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/13/11 at 1:08 pm

This story from the Atlanta Journal Constitutionhttp://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/occupy-protesters-defy-eviction-1224579.html

Once again, staid Democrat governments putting the smack down on the "99%".

-Denver: Dem administration since at least 1963
-Salt Lake City: Dem administration since 1976, I believe
-Albany: Has had a Dem mayor since at least 1941
-San Francisco: About as Dem an area as one could imagine

These in addition to Oakland CA and Portland OR which are run by long-running Dem machines.

What do these leaders of the Dem party have to fear from the 99% ? ???

Subject: Re: Dem Administrations Put the Smack Down on the "99%"

Written By: danootaandme on 11/13/11 at 6:18 pm

This story from the Atlanta Journal Constitutionhttp://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/occupy-protesters-defy-eviction-1224579.html

These in addition to Oakland CA and Portland OR which are run by long-running Dem machines.

Your mistake is ascribing the OWS movement to one party.  The problem for the government is that it is attraction just about everyone, even baggers have joined in, and that worries both parties.  That is why the media, until now going easy, is now turning to more and more sensational coverage. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/11 at 8:25 pm

I agree with Danoota.  I think -- I hope -- the 99% are waking up to all the partisan bait and switch, wait and bitch.  Damn right those urban Democratic political machines do nothing but feed themselves and make the people empty promises.  Then again, the states starve the cities and the feds starves the states.  The rich people don't go into the poor neighborhoods unless they're looking to score drugs or sex. 
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/13/11 at 10:00 pm

What makes you think this movement has anything to do with Jackasses or Elephants?

For that matter, what makes you think that the Jackasses and Elephants are two separate parties with opposing goals?

As an old Inner Party member once said, "The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/14/11 at 12:46 am

What makes you think this movement has anything to do with Jackasses or Elephants?

For that matter, what makes you think that the Jackasses and Elephants are two separate parties with opposing goals?

As an old Inner Party member once said, "The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake."

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia...

Written By: philbo on 11/14/11 at 4:24 am

If they actually do represent "the 99%", they've got to be drawn from both major parties, else they'd be the 50% max.

Still, after well over a decade looking on from outside at how dire the state of democracy is in the US (like, every time I look at how bad it is here, I can still think "hey, at least it's not as bad as over the Atlantic"), this is pretty much the first ray of light in a long while.  But still, I don't see enough of the electorate over there with enough vision to see through the 2-party ruling clique and actually get some real democracy for a change.  Which is a similarity here: we have an electorate which is overwhelmingly too blinkered or too stupid to realize that the reason we have such crap politicians is because we vote for them.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/15/11 at 11:30 pm

If they actually do represent "the 99%", they've got to be drawn from both major parties, else they'd be the 50% max.

Not everybody votes in America; voter turnout in 2008 was typically less than 60%.

If the Jackasses get 50% of the vote, and the Elephants get 50% of the vote, that means the actual vote was 30% (R), 30% (D), and 40% (Not Voting).  

40% of the electorate has given up on the democratic process.

A candidate that could bring out 3/4 of those disaffected voters would win in the general (at least in terms of popular vote), even if he or she didn't get a single vote from disaffected Republicans or Democrats.  Add in the 5-10% of the (R) and (D) party faithful who are there only because "at least my candidate isn't from the other team", and you've got a recipe for a landslide.

Written By: philbo on 11/16/11 at 6:41 am

A candidate that could bring out 3/4 of those disaffected voters would win in the general (at least in terms of popular vote), even if he or she didn't get a single vote from disaffected Republicans or Democrats.  Add in the 5-10% of the (R) and (D) party faithful who are there only because "at least my candidate isn't from the other team", and you've got a recipe for a landslide.

OK.. they've got to be drawn from both major parties, else they'd be the 70% max.

But what kind of candidate could bring out the voters who don't vote?  What kind of platform would that be, I wonder... Foo, I think it's time you started up your "Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll" party - rock 'n' roll everywhere, legalize everything, and screw everyone.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/16/11 at 7:15 pm

OK.. they've got to be drawn from both major parties, else they'd be the 70% max.

But what kind of candidate could bring out the voters who don't vote?  What kind of platform would that be, I wonder... Foo, I think it's time you started up your "Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll" party - rock 'n' roll everywhere, legalize everything, and screw everyone.

There are some people even I wouldn't wanna screw!
:P

Written By: Tia on 11/16/11 at 7:58 pm

what did LBJ have to fear from the anti-vietnam war movement?  ::) not everyone's a party hack, dude. in fact, i think it's a valuable litmus test that anyone i take seriously NOT be a party hack. That's a test the tea party thoroughly failed.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/17/11 at 2:33 pm

Salt Lake City proper tends to be fairly democratic, but in all actuality,  the majority of the peeps in power here are staunch Republicans.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/18/11 at 12:18 am

But what kind of candidate could bring out the voters who don't vote?  What kind of platform would that be, I wonder... Foo, I think it's time you started up your "Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll" party - rock 'n' roll everywhere, legalize everything, and screw everyone.

Funny you should mention that.  My preferred candidate died in 2007.  RIP, RAW.  So to answer your question, that's already been done before, better than I could have done it, and by better men than I.  Hail Eris, All Hail Discordia! (fnord!)

The Platform of Robert Anton Wilson's Guns and Dope Party:

guns for those who want them, no guns forced on those who don't want them (pacfists, Quakers etc.)
drugs for those who want them, no drugs forced on those who don't want them (Christian Scientists etc.)
an end to Tsarism and a return to constitutional democracy
equal rights for ostriches.

I think guns are pretty neat, prefer alcohol and caffeine to nicotine and THC, have had my fill of Tsars, but most importantly, I'm totally down with the ostriches.

Written By: philbo on 11/18/11 at 5:22 am

... but most importantly, I'm totally down with the ostriches.

Head down? :)

I know what you mean about your preferred candidate snuffing it.. mine, too.

Check for new replies or respond here...