» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Millions Walk Out In Protest Over Pensions in UK

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/11 at 11:41 am

Public sector workers are marching through cities across the UK in protest over planned Government changes to pensions - but disruption to services has so far been less than expected.

Around 15,000 people are taking part in a demo in Manchester, according to Greater Manchester Police, while thousands also took to the streets in London.

Approximately 3,000 turned out for a march and rally in Cardiff city centre.

More than 1,000 rallies and demonstrations in total are scheduled to take place in various locations across the UK.

Metropolitan Police indicated 37 people had been arrested in London.

Meanwhile, contingency plans at major airports, transport hubs and hospitals have swung into action, minimising the effect of the walkouts.

Frantic efforts to cover border agency staff at major airports including Heathrow saw a "significant" number of civil servants volunteering to provide cover and no queues were reported.

Hospital staff and workers on the Mersey tunnels were among the first to take action from midnight on Wednesday, setting up picket lines and displaying banners and posters attacking the Government's pension reforms.

Courts, government offices, schools, jobcentres, driving tests and ports have all also been hit in what was originally billed as the biggest day of industrial action since the 1979 Winter of Discontent.

During Prime Minister's questions, David Cameron described the strike as a "damp squib".

He said most key services were still open and that less than a third of civil servants joined the day of action.

Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude thanked what he said were the "large majority" who turned up to work as normal.

He hit out at those on strike, saying the action was "irresponsible, inappropriate and untimely".

He added that the pension on offer to public service workers was something that "most of the private sector could only dream of".

Brendan Barber, general secretary of the TUC Congress defended the strike action, telling Sky News it was "unfair" to single out public service workers for "economic punishment".

"An awful lot of public service workers are saying they feel they are being treated with real injustice by the Government trying to force through unfair changes to their pensions.

"That message is going to come across loud and clear today.

"We do face difficult times in our economy and that has been made worse by bad Government decisions, because this relentless focus on austerity is making our economy worse, not better.

"Treating public service workers this way and singling them out for this economic punishment is unfair at a time when people who caused this crisis are still paying themselves lavish bonuses and tax loopholes are still being exploited by the wealthiest and corporate Britain."

The Government has meanwhile warned unions that today's national action will "achieve nothing".

It has said the funding of public sector pensions is unsustainable and wants to raise the retirement age and bring in career average pensions, which can be less lucrative than final salary schemes.

Chancellor George Osborne said: "The strike is not going to achieve anything, it's not going to change anything.

"It is only going to make our economy weaker and potentially cost jobs."

Labour leader Ed Miliband said he was "not going to condemn" those who had chosen to go on strike because "they feel they have been put in an impossible position by a government which has refused to negotiate properly, imposed a 3% tax rise on the lowest paid workers in country and has been ramping up the rhetoric in recent weeks."

The Government had to accept responsibility, he added.

But workers insist they have no choice but to take action over pension changes which would see them work longer, pay more and receive less in retirement.

Refuse supervisor Phil Lane from Sefton will be marching and said: "Me and my colleagues are firm. Make no mistake, this day is needed to make the Government change its mind."

Having worked for the council for 36 years, Mr Lane planned to retire in three years' time aged 62.

Under the changes, he said he will need to work for four more years and put more money in the pot.

But having just learned that after a two-year pay freeze he will now face a 1% wage rise cap, Mr Lane said extra payments will be almost impossible.

He said: "It's getting tighter for me to live and harder for me to pay my bills. One percent is actually nothing compared to the cost of living. Bread, milk, sugar, my leccy, my gas. It's all going up".

Thousands of parents have been forced to take time off work to care for their children with the Government expecting 75% of schools to close.

Mother and striking teacher Angela White said she did not want to walk out but has no choice. "We have to take a stand" she said, "for ourselves and the profession".

Ms White gave up a career as an accountant to become a teacher and is now wondering if she made a huge mistake.

She said: "I do wonder if I made the right decision. As an accountant I could make more money and have a better pension.

"And that does make me worry. I have children of my own and I want to support them through education. It's getting to be more and more of a struggle. And I do question my decision."

The walkout comes a day after Chancellor George Osborne revealed official growth forecasts have been slashed and admitted the Government is preparing in case Britain slides into a double-dip recession.

Subject: Re: Millions Walk Out In Protest Over Pensions in UK

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/11 at 12:42 pm

He added that the pension on offer to public service workers was something that "most of the private sector could only dream of".

If America has anything to teach it's that you do not let the private sector get its paws on public pensions.  Then workers can only dream of retiring with enough to pay the bills!  Hell, you're lucky if you don't get your life savings stolen in a stock market heist!
::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/11 at 8:42 pm

Jeremy Clarkson said he'd have them all shot.  That is not the British way.

The British way is hanging!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/hanged.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 12/01/11 at 7:57 am

If America has anything to teach it's that you do not let the private sector get its paws on public pensions.  Then workers can only dream of retiring with enough to pay the bills!  Hell, you're lucky if you don't get your life savings stolen in a stock market heist!
::)

Too true!

Written By: philbo on 12/01/11 at 9:45 am

Jeremy Clarkson said he'd have them all shot.  That is not the British way.

People are really making a mountain out of that particular molehill - in context, what Clarkson said can't be taken as anything other than a joke.. but the reports are nearly all leaving out the first part.

Mr Clarkson made the remarks after praising the ‘fantastic’ strikes for emptying London of people.

‘Everybody’s stayed at home, you could whiz about, restaurants are empty... airports, people streaming through,’ he said.

He then said that he had to balance his praise as ‘this is the BBC’ and made his remarks about shooting the strikers.

Basically, he'd said how much he likes the strikes because it means he can drive his Jaaaag around an empty London, then because of the need for balance at the Beeb, he said he'd have 'em all shot.  It's a very typical Clarkson type of joke - OTT, not very funny and completely self-centred.

Written By: philbo on 12/01/11 at 10:13 am

PS Says it better than I could: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/scott-bryan/jeremy-clarkson-story-is-a-farce_b_1122938.html

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/11 at 1:50 pm

People are really making a mountain out of that particular molehill - in context, what Clarkson said can't be taken as anything other than a joke.. but the reports are nearly all leaving out the first part.

Basically, he'd said how much he likes the strikes because it means he can drive his Jaaaag around an empty London, then because of the need for balance at the Beeb, he said he'd have 'em all shot.  It's a very typical Clarkson type of joke - OTT, not very funny and completely self-centred.
Clarkson has now apologised, but he should not had said in the first place.

Check for new replies or respond here...