» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Landlord posts "white only" sign at public swimming pool

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/14/11 at 12:41 pm

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/14/9441008-landlord-fights-white-only-pool-sign-ruling

And then has the gall to blame it on the girl's hair products.  Do you know how many freaking hair products I have to use to keep my naturally curly hair in line?  A damn lot.  If that was truly the problem, the sign should have said "please shower before swimming or wear a swim cap."   

This is sickening.

Subject: Re: Landlord posts "white only" sign at public swimming pool

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/14/11 at 1:24 pm

Ridiculous!!!!  I can not believe someone would actually post a sign like that and think it's ok.

Written By: snozberries on 12/14/11 at 1:39 pm

Kinda makes me wanna go to sallys and buy all the curl activator and creme conditioner i can find and pour it in that pool  >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/14/11 at 7:36 pm

Yeah, that's gonna be a pretty fast court hearing.  If he does not want certain hair products in the pool then he should post a sign banning whatever the stuff is that 'contaminates' his pool.

Besides, I'd be alot more concerned about other contaminants.  As a matter of policy I don't swim in apartment building pools because they are probably 33% urine.  8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/11 at 7:42 pm

Uhhhh....I don't think he's supposed to do that.

What decade is it again?

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/11 at 7:45 pm

Yeah, that's gonna be a pretty fast court hearing.  If he does not want certain hair products in the pool then he should post a sign banning whatever the stuff is that 'contaminates' his pool.

Besides, I'd be alot more concerned about other contaminants.  As a matter of policy I don't swim in apartment building pools because they are probably 33% urine.   8-P

So is your municipal water supply.  A little chlorine takes care of everything!
:)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/14/11 at 7:51 pm

So is your municipal water supply.  A little chlorine takes care of everything!
:)

Pfft.  I don't want to swim in a pool that smells like somebody peed in a bottle of Clorox either.  8-P

Written By: snozberries on 12/15/11 at 6:15 am

^that guy doesn't have any product in his hair!

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/15/11 at 11:38 am

Remember the Don Imus affair?

Written By: danootaandme on 12/15/11 at 3:44 pm

The commission's statement said that its investigation concluded that the posting of such a sign "restricts the social interaction between Caucasians and African-Americans and reinforces discriminatory actions aimed at oppressing people of color."

WHAT!!!! 

How about this is the United States and this is against the law.  This finding makes me as mad as what the landlord did!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/11 at 5:10 pm

The commission's statement said that its investigation concluded that the posting of such a sign "restricts the social interaction between Caucasians and African-Americans and reinforces discriminatory actions aimed at oppressing people of color."

WHAT!!!!   

How about this is the United States and this is against the law.  This finding makes me as mad as what the landlord did!

Yeah.
::)

Written By: Emman on 12/15/11 at 9:35 pm

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/14/9441008-landlord-fights-white-only-pool-sign-ruling

And then has the gall to blame it on the girl's hair products.  Do you know how many freaking hair products I have to use to keep my naturally curly hair in line?  A damn lot.  If that was truly the problem, the sign should have said "please shower before swimming or wear a swim cap."   

This is sickening.

Wouldn't Ron Paul say it is their personal right to allow whoever they want or not on their property, him being a libertarian and all. :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/11 at 9:40 pm

Wouldn't Ron Paul say it is their personal right to allow whoever they want or not on their property, him being a libertarian and all. :-\\

He would.  That's why I wouldn't vote for Ron Paul.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/16/11 at 11:21 am

It was the complex's pool and the people excluded were tenants for Christ sake

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/18/11 at 12:37 am

He would.

And as a white dude, I wouldn't swim in a pool owned by someone as douchey.  I might even be found outside that swimming pool with a sign saying "Yo!  Fellow white dudes and chyx!  The dude who runs this pool is a douche.  Let's swim somewhere else!"

I don't want to a racist pool owner arrested, I wanna see him go bankrupt.  (Then someone who has some business sense can buy his pool for pennies on the dollar and take down the "POOL'S CLOSED!" sign :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/11 at 3:52 pm

He would.

And as a white dude, I wouldn't swim in a pool owned by someone as douchey.  I might even be found outside that swimming pool with a sign saying "Yo!  Fellow white dudes and chyx!  The dude who runs this pool is a douche.  Let's swim somewhere else!"

I don't want to a racist pool owner arrested, I wanna see him go bankrupt.  (Then someone who has some business sense can buy his pool for pennies on the dollar and take down the "POOL'S CLOSED!" sign :)

Actually, Ron Paul might disagree in this case since the tenants all pay for the pool.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/19/11 at 9:43 pm

Actually, Ron Paul might disagree in this case since the tenants all pay for the pool.

Good point.  I missed the bit about the landlord/tenant relationship.  Unless the property owner could fine a loophole in the CC&R (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions) that applied to the tenants, the landlord's the one who's toast.  The tenants may well have a right (under contract law) to use the pool, the owner's wishes be damned.  If the landlord doesn't like it, he shouldn't have written it into the contract.

Edit: Typo.  Loophople?!? :)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/11 at 6:26 am

Good point.  I missed the bit about the landlord/tenant relationship.  Unless the property owner could fine a loophople in the CC&R (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions) that applied to the tenants, the landlord's the one who's toast.  The tenants may well have a right (under contract law) to use the pool, the owner's wishes be damned.  If the landlord doesn't like it, he shouldn't have written it into the contract.

Any covenant, condition, or restriction that would restrict the tenant on racial grounds would be illegal.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/11 at 6:28 am

I will add that I wouldn't have moved out.  I would have stayed and used that pool every day, rain or shine, and invited a few friends to join in.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/20/11 at 9:48 pm

Any covenant, condition, or restriction that would restrict the tenant on racial grounds would be illegal.

Ron Paul would not require the landlord to rent to people of color in the first place.  As above, that's why I would not vote for Ron Paul.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad3.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/22/11 at 1:13 am

Ron Paul would not require the landlord to rent to people of color in the first place.  As above, that's why I would not vote for Ron Paul.

I'd take the other side of that coin: in the one-in-a-brazillion chance that Paul is elected and convinces Congress to take things that far (and the Supremes go along with it under the 14th amendment), I'd move to a state/county/city/HOA/neighborhood whose CC&R prohibited racial discrimination as a condition of residence.  Just because dollars are votes, doesn't absolve us of a responsibility to vote with our dollars.

And because apartment REITs willing to rent to the Jeffersons (ancient TV history alert!) would almost certainly outperform the sorts of companies that own stereotypical trailer parks full of rednecks.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/11 at 1:29 am

I'd take the other side of that coin: in the one-in-a-brazillion chance that Paul is elected and convinces Congress to take things that far (and the Supremes go along with it under the 14th amendment), I'd move to a state/county/city/HOA/neighborhood whose CC&R prohibited racial discrimination as a condition of residence.  Just because dollars are votes, doesn't absolve us of a responsibility to vote with our dollars.

And because apartment REITs willing to rent to the Jeffersons (ancient TV history alert!) would almost certainly outperform the sorts of companies that own stereotypical trailer parks full of rednecks.

I'm not subjecting race or class to venal marketplace calculations.

Furthermore, I am 110% convinced Ron Paul would surrender all libertarian principles to neoliberal big government as soon as he placed his hand on Atlas Shrugged and took his oath to John Galt!

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/22/11 at 2:19 am

I'm not subjecting race or class to venal marketplace calculations.

I am.  Business is ultimately simple game; the rules are known in advance, and you keep score with money.  Organizations that eliminate 15-25% (depending on which races they wanna be racist about) of the labor force and/or customer base from consideration for reasons unrelated to actual productive/purchasing ability must ultimately underperform organizations that don't.  "Their skin may be (pick a color as if it matters), but their money is green."

Furthermore, I am 110% convinced Ron Paul would surrender all libertarian principles to neoliberal big government as soon as he placed his hand on Atlas Shrugged and took his oath to John Galt!

Oaths?  Moot point in the case of Paul, but if we're gonna quote scripture:

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

PezbKwNsOnE

Because his mind's somewhat for rent,
To someone's God or Government,
Ron Paul won't become President,
And the changes are permanent...

(I'm going with South Park because the guy in charge of Ponifying the entire Rush discography just hasn't gotten there yet.)

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/22/11 at 11:46 am

I am.  Business is ultimately simple game; the rules are known in advance, and you keep score with money.  Organizations that eliminate 15-25% (depending on which races they wanna be racist about) of the labor force and/or customer base from consideration for reasons unrelated to actual productive/purchasing ability must ultimately underperform organizations that don't.  "Their skin may be (pick a color as if it matters), but their money is green."

Conservatives used this argument in the '60s as to why gov't intervention (civil rights legislation) was unnecessary.  The response was "the market has had 100 years to work this out and so far has failed.  How long should we wait?"  It was a lousy argument then and it still is today 

Written By: danootaandme on 12/22/11 at 3:05 pm

Conservatives used this argument in the '60s as to why gov't intervention (civil rights legislation) was unnecessary.  The response was "the market has had 100 years to work this out and so far has failed.  How long should we wait?"  It was a lousy argument then and it still is today 

http://gamesprays.com/files/resource_media/preview/bazinga-5032_preview.png

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/11 at 7:34 pm

My man, if you had to sit in third class because your grandfather was Black, life wouldn't seem like a round of Monopoly. 

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/jerk.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/23/11 at 11:08 pm

Conservatives used this argument in the '60s as to why gov't intervention (civil rights legislation) was unnecessary.  The response was "the market has had 100 years to work this out and so far has failed.  How long should we wait?"  It was a lousy argument then and it still is today  

I won't argue that - because we agree.  (I think it would ultimately work, but I agree that it's pointless to wait that long.)

The social conservatives did - and probably some of the economic ones, too, because they were scared of the Commies - make that argument.  They were wrong.

Since this is a RON PAUL!!1!one! thread, a Randroid response would be along the lines that rational beings have the right to enter into contracts with each other.  If a state (or local) government that attempts to interfere with this process by passing laws, those laws must be overturned.  But she'd take 100 pages to say it.  (If a government wants to go full retard and actually suggest that people with different skin colors are non-sentient - and I'm sure there are racists who believe as much - let them run on such a platform.  If such a party is elected, that's as good a time as any for any rational being to get the hell outa their jurisdiction.  Moving away would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to change the hearts and minds of 51% of your neighbors, and speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to wait 30 years in Redneckistan for them all to die off.)

A Constitutional response, which is the only one that should have mattered since 1868, would have been to ask the Sociocons, "what part of 'No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws...'" didn't the social conservatives understand?

If the pool is defined by contract as "for the use of tenants and their guests", if tenants are defined by law as "people who rent a place there", then race can't enter into it.  A sign saying "No hair cream unless you wear a shower cap" in the pool would be fine.  

My man, if you had to sit in third class because your grandfather was Black, life wouldn't seem like a round of Monopoly. 

Politically-incorrect question coming up:

Anyone got a list of all the terms used for the whole "roon" thing?  There was a whole list of ridiculous words for various percentages of racial ancestry back in the day: quadroon (1/4) octoroon (1/8), hexadecaroon (1/16), going down to some ridiculous number (as if the whole system wasn't ridiculous to begin with) like 1/64th.  There were even special words for combinations like "1/4 black, 1/8th native, and 5/8 white/Spanish".  Anyone got a link to that list?  It reads like a parody of itself, and I wish I'd copied/pasted it when I saw it years ago, as an eternal reminder of just. how. stupid. humans can be when acting together in large groups.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/11 at 5:38 am

Anyone got a list of all the terms used for the whole "roon" thing?  There was a whole list of ridiculous words for various percentages of racial ancestry back in the day: quadroon (1/4) octoroon (1/8), hexadecaroon (1/16), going down to some ridiculous number (as if the whole system wasn't ridiculous to begin with) like 1/64th.  There were even special words for combinations like "1/4 black, 1/8th native, and 5/8 white/Spanish".  Anyone got a link to that list?  It reads like a parody of itself, and I wish I'd copied/pasted it when I saw it years ago, as an eternal reminder of just. how. stupid. humans can be when acting together in large groups.

Nothing "incorrect" about that question.  I doesn't begin to answer the question, though.  There were categorizations for "mixed rade" Asians, and Native Americans.

http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/census/review4.php

"In the 19th century, categories such as mulatto, quadroon, octoroon, hexadecaroon, and quintroon were used to indicate varying levels of mixture between white and black. Mulatto described persons of mixed race, part black and part white. Quadroon meant one-quarter black ancestry. Octoroon meant one-eighth black. Hexadecaroon meant one-sixteenth black. Quintroon was a person who had one parent who was an octoroon and one white parent. These labels indicate that multiracial individuals didn't fit in the black and white dichotomy of racial relations, and they occupied a separate category in the U.S. Census. Often, a social strata known as "Creoles" or gens de couleur libres (free persons of color) formed in places like New Orleans, Louisiana, which was notable for racial mixtures that didn't fit easy classification. "

They were(are) very interested in trying to figure out how to categorize a persons "racial" makeup, at the same time trying to ignore the question of how these children happened to be born in the first place.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/24/11 at 12:20 pm

Brazilians have a similar system, but classifying individuals turns on class, since it impossible to know the "race" of a person.  So they say "money whitens"

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/24/11 at 5:02 pm

"In the 19th century, categories such as mulatto, quadroon, octoroon, hexadecaroon, and quintroon were used to indicate varying levels of mixture between white and black. Mulatto described persons of mixed race, part black and part white. Quadroon meant one-quarter black ancestry. Octoroon meant one-eighth black. Hexadecaroon meant one-sixteenth black. Quintroon was a person who had one parent who was an octoroon and one white parent. These labels indicate that multiracial individuals didn't fit in the black and white dichotomy of racial relations, and they occupied a separate category in the U.S. Census. Often, a social strata known as "Creoles" or gens de couleur libres (free persons of color) formed in places like New Orleans, Louisiana, which was notable for racial mixtures that didn't fit easy classification. "

All the way up to her death at age 90, my mother would refer to a mixed-race child (black-white) as a "mulatto" in hushed tones.  :-\\

I believe the term for somebody of mixed black and American Indian heritage was "Zambo"

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/24/11 at 5:05 pm

Brazilians have a similar system, but classifying individuals turns on class, since it impossible to know the "race" of a person.  So they say "money whitens"

Gotta be one heck of a complicated system, because Brazil is a huuuuuuge melting pot.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/25/11 at 6:02 am

Gotta be one heck of a complicated system, because Brazil is a huuuuuuge melting pot.

As is the USA.  Heck my family alone.  I will add, doing my genealogy it was quite interesting when I got in touch with a distant relation through Ancestry.com who was really pleased when I tied up a genealogical loophole and sent the proof, until she realized the proof showed that her great grandmother was African American.  She babbled and bluffed then cut off contact, and never put the link on her family tree. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/25/11 at 8:24 am

As is the USA.  Heck my family alone.  I will add, doing my genealogy it was quite interesting when I got in touch with a distant relation through Ancestry.com who was really pleased when I tied up a genealogical loophole and sent the proof, until she realized the proof showed that her great grandmother was African American.  She babbled and bluffed then cut off contact, and never put the link on her family tree. 

My middle name is a family name, and if you heard it you would find it to be unmistakably Roman in origin.  Anyway, somewhere around 1900, one of my ancestors came into a little money and commissioned a genealogical study to map out the family's "Irish" lineage.  When the results came back that the family's origins were Italian, the relative burned the entire set of research papers.  ;D

Back then being of Italian origin was looked down upon in some circles.  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/11 at 10:50 am

That's ridiculous. In this day age everyone should realize they probably all pretty much qualify for the one drop rule.  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/11 at 10:55 am

My dad started tracing our family tree back before there was internet in every home and a website called ancestry.com

We know that our last name was adopted by an ancestor who was a runaway slave. He took on the last name of the family that helped him during his escape. 

Apparently tho, my dad found out someone in the family lineage was a rapist or something and he stopped researching the rest of the family line.... personally I wish he'd continued it. It'd be interesting to see but he doesn't want to uncover anymore skeletons. Honestly....you'd think he was guilty the way he reacted to it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/11 at 1:07 pm

My dad started tracing our family tree back before there was internet in every home and a website called ancestry.com

We know that our last name was adopted by an ancestor who was a runaway slave. He took on the last name of the family that helped him during his escape. 

Apparently tho, my dad found out someone in the family lineage was a rapist or something and he stopped researching the rest of the family line.... personally I wish he'd continued it. It'd be interesting to see but he doesn't want to uncover anymore skeletons. Honestly....you'd think he was guilty the way he reacted to it.

My mother has been a genealogist before I was born. She has many books about different families in the Library of Congress. One time, my great-aunt went up to her and asked (with hope in her eyes) if there were any murderers, or unsavory characters somewhere in the family. Alas, my mother could never find anyone like that.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Probably the most colorful character was probably my great-grandfather. He was one of founding members of Central Markets in the Albany area-which was the precursor to the Price Chopper chain. There are many old newspaper websites on-line and it is very easy to find info on him (which we-my sisters & I, have found). My mother thinks that a biography should be written about him and she thinks that I am the one who should do it. I do remember him and I have often thought about writing his bio. 

Cat   

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/11 at 4:37 pm

My mother has been a genealogist before I was born. She has many books about different families in the Library of Congress. One time, my great-aunt went up to her and asked (with hope in her eyes) if there were any murderers, or unsavory characters somewhere in the family. Alas, my mother could never find anyone like that.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Probably the most colorful character was probably my great-grandfather. He was one of founding members of Central Markets in the Albany area-which was the precursor to the Price Chopper chain. There are many old newspaper websites on-line and it is very easy to find info on him (which we-my sisters & I, have found). My mother thinks that a biography should be written about him and she thinks that I am the one who should do it. I do remember him and I have often thought about writing his bio. 

Cat   

you should write it!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/11 at 7:30 pm

you should write it!

Somehow I KNEW you would say that.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/11 at 7:33 pm

Somehow I KNEW you would say that.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

It could be good....you won't know til you do. But with all the people in your family with books why shouldn't you have one too?  ;)  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/11 at 7:41 pm

It could be good....you won't know til you do. But with all the people in your family with books why shouldn't you have one too?  ;)  8)

But it involves one of those four letter words-WORK!

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/11 at 7:42 pm

But it involves one of those four letter words-WORK!

Cat

I know... I feel the same way about my writing... my scripts would be great if only they would jump out of my head and write themselves!

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/25/11 at 7:51 pm

Nothing "incorrect" about that question.  I doesn't begin to answer the question, though.  There were categorizations for "mixed race" Asians, and Native Americans.

Ah, thank you - that's a good jumping-off point.  I forgot they also had a series of words for Asians...

They were(are) very interested in trying to figure out how to categorize a persons "racial" makeup, at the same time trying to ignore the question of how these children happened to be born in the first place.

Oh, that's easy!  

Some of the cartoons you are about to see are a product of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in American society. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros.' view of today's society, some of these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.

Now that that's outa the way, enough about work.  

Time for cartoons!  Porky's Railroad, 1937:

...in "black and white": 5:10-6:00
MzwxL6305Q4

...or the "Colored" version: 5:14-6:00
fu1X2-Tc_7U

I'm kinda grateful my parents didn't have to explain the first edit, but now that I'm old enough (I had only the vaguest memory of the colored version in my childhood - remembering only a cartoon with Porky Pig and a train that I only saw once ca. kindergarten - and literally spewed coffee all over the monitor with shock when I found the original black-and-white version a few months ago)... now I wanna know why they cut out the part about the tunnel!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/26/11 at 6:13 pm

Moving away would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to change the hearts and minds of 51% of your neighbors, and speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to wait 30 years in Redneckistan for them all to die off.)

Yes, that was part of the segregationist strategy.  You know, back in the days when the welcome wagon was a flaming cross at midnight.

You best move back across county lines, boy, where your kin is, where you belongs!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/coffee.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/26/11 at 8:00 pm

Now that that's outa the way, enough about work.  

Time for cartoons!  Porky's Railroad, 1937:

Lest we forget this Porky's gem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa-HGeoum2w

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/27/11 at 12:53 am

Yes, that was part of the segregationist strategy.  You know, back in the days when the welcome wagon was a flaming cross at midnight.
You best move back across county lines, boy, where your kin is, where you belongs!

Yeah, that was part of the segregationist strategy.  You know, back in the days when the welcome wagon only showed up between riots.
Oh, Muffy, this is just ridiculous, let's just move to Grosse Pointe and let the rednecks and thugs wipe each other out?  Even if we can't afford Grosse Pointe, how about Livonia?

Lest we forget this Porky's gem...

Well, since you've beaten me to the funniest line from Porky's... my favorite serious line of that movie was "too stupid to even be a good bigot."  Although in this thread, we should probably be talking about Porky's II: The Next Day :)

Check for new replies or respond here...