» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Conservative MP Aidan Burley Nazi stag photos: French police inquiry

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/22/11 at 10:32 am

French prosecutors are investigating a Nazi-themed stag party attended by the Conservative MP Aidan Burley.

The former parliamentary private secretary lost his post after he was photographed at a stag party in the Alps with a man wearing Nazi costume.

"A preliminary investigation started yesterday," Paris prosecutor Patrick Quincy told AFP.

Mr Burley said: "They are launching a preliminary investigation and I understand I am not the focus of it."

He added: "I do not believe I have broken any French law and have distanced myself from the behaviour of other people on the stag."

The MP for Cannock in Staffordshire has previously apologised for the "inappropriate behaviour" of fellow guests at the stag party.

'Wrong decision'

He said he had not been contacted by the French authorities.

It is thought the investigation has been triggered by a complaint to the prosecutor from French anti-racism group SOS Racisme.

In a statement on Thursday, Mr Burley said: "Being involved in a stag party where an SS uniform was worn was wrong and offensive.

"It was the wrong decision on my part; crass and insensitive. I am deeply sorry, and want to take this opportunity to offer the people of Cannock Chase an unreserved, wholehearted and full apology for the terrible offence this incident has undoubtedly caused.

"It has been an unbelievably difficult 10 days for my family and friends, and I feel ashamed that Cannock Chase has been placed in the limelight as a result of my behaviour.

'Foolish' conduct

"My family have been through hell, and I want to thank them in particular for the love, courage and support they have given me."

Ian Austin, shadow work and pensions minister and Labour MP for Dudley North, said: "David Cameron and the Tories tried to brush this under the carpet, but the scandal surrounding Aidan Burley's disgraceful conduct is not going away.

"Surely the prime minister must take the whip off Mr Burley while this investigation is taking place."

Prime Minister David Cameron has ordered an inquiry but it is understood it is unlikely to conclude before the new year.

A Downing Street spokesman declined to comment about the decision by the French authorities to investigate Mr Burley but reiterated that his conduct had been "offensive and foolish".

Possible charges under French law that could stem from wearing Nazi uniforms include incitement to racial hatred and apology for Nazi war crimes.

Subject: Re: Conservative MP Aidan Burley Nazi stag photos: French police inquiry

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/11 at 7:39 pm

Deja vu all over again. 

What is it with toffs and Nazi costumes?  Is it some kind of S&M kink?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Subject: Re: Conservative MP Aidan Burley Nazi stag photos: French police inquiry

Written By: philbo on 12/23/11 at 3:45 am

I don't know about "toffs" (though obviously well-heeled enough to afford a stag party in the Alps).. they're certainly not of Moseley's lineage.

But I have a certain sympathy for Aidan Burley: if you were going to a friend's stag do, and a load of the other guests turned up in Nazi costume - do you storm (pun not intended) out?  (especially if you've already had a drink or two)

I don't think it has been shown that he knew beforehand it was going to be like that, or exactly what happened.  So I'm reserving judgment as  to whether he's merely unfortunate or possessing hideously bad judgment himself.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/23/11 at 8:23 pm

I don't know about "toffs" (though obviously well-heeled enough to afford a stag party in the Alps).. they're certainly not of Moseley's lineage.

But I have a certain sympathy for Aidan Burley: if you were going to a friend's stag do, and a load of the other guests turned up in Nazi costume - do you storm (pun not intended) out?  (especially if you've already had a drink or two)

I don't think it has been shown that he knew beforehand it was going to be like that, or exactly what happened.  So I'm reserving judgment as  to whether he's merely unfortunate or possessing hideously bad judgment himself.

I'd excuse myself for a cigarette, and not come back.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad3.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...