inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Netflix and systems!!! Renamed ;)

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/09 at 5:50 pm

forget paying a hundred dollars to buy one of those Roxr (whatever) connectors to watch Netflix movies online via your TV.... netflix is teaming with Sony to make Online viewing possible via your PS3!!!!!!!

I don't know about you but I've reserved my disc already!!! hope it comes soon!!!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/28/netflix-details-ps3-disc-distribution-for-november-confident/

Netflix is confident that it will have ample supply in November for every PS3 user who requests a disc for its recently announced streaming service. Speaking with Joystiq, Netflix Vice President of Corporate Communications Steve Swasey wouldn't disclose the number of reservations the company has received for the free PS3 Netflix disc since the company announced the program on Monday, but did emphasize, "We're confident we've produced enough discs." Distribution centers apparently already have the units.

Swasey told us that the company is still hammering out the distribution details, but the plan is to send out a press release sometime in November announcing that the discs have shipped. Customers should receive the red envelope in about the same time it usually takes for a Netflix shipment to reach them. He expressed that "there's no VIP list or special circumstance list," so everyone should be receiving it around the same time.

Asked if there were any points he'd like to clarify about the recent announcement, Swasey told us that the disc was the best solution currently available in getting PS3 users the Netflix service, downplaying the need to always have disc in the tray. "They put the disc in whenever they play a game." When pushed on why an integrated solution wasn't implemented, he said, "We haven't given any reason. The key thing here ... it's very easy and no different than playing a video game. We'll have an update in time." The integrated solution is expected in late 2010.

Netflix doesn't like to discuss HD content in nitty gritty detail yet, but confirmed that the PS3 will have a similar offering to the Xbox 360, which outputs 720p and stereo sound.

Keep an eye out for an announcement in November for when the discs ship, then put that eye back in when the disc arrives. You'll need both to appreciate those episodes of Dexter.

Subject: Re: BEST NEWS EVER!!!! Netflix avail soon via PS3!!!!

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/09 at 6:39 pm

This is good news.  Not for me though as I don't have a PS3 and I don't rent movies (I always buy them) lol

Written By: La Roche on 10/29/09 at 6:40 pm

Microsoft has been doing this with the X-Box 360 for well over a year now.

It is pretty awesome.

Written By: Jessica on 10/29/09 at 6:45 pm

Microsoft has been doing this with the X-Box 360 for well over a year now.

It is pretty awesome.

Tis.

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/09 at 6:47 pm

Tis.

but I don't have Xbox...  ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/29/09 at 6:51 pm

I'm gonna wait until PS4 comes out...

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/09 at 7:04 pm

You may as well wait the extra week and get the PS9.  The way technology is advancing, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS9 came out tomorow ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/07/09 at 1:41 pm

my dvd's in the mail I should have it this evening....but I have to wait until next weekend to try it out.  :\'(

Written By: Tam on 10/17/10 at 12:36 am

Bumpity Bump! ;D

So yeah, I am finally thinking about breaking down and getting Netflix.
Is it really all it's cracked up to be?

My Blu-ray player has netflix. I haven't really looked at theplayer, but I am assuming all I might have to do is connect the ethernet cable to it and away I go. Obviously I am going to do the free month thingy - got it from The Son since he already does the netflix thing.

New Releases? How long until they are streamed? Just curious is all.

So ya, tell me about your netflix please. lol

Written By: Howard on 10/17/10 at 6:45 am

This is good news.  Not for me though as I don't have a PS3 and I don't rent movies (I always buy them) lol

I have a PS2,Could it be available via Playstation 2?  ???

Written By: Howard on 10/17/10 at 6:46 am

You might have to wait another 2 to 3 more years.

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/10 at 9:38 am

I doubt it howard but you could try

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/10 at 10:05 am

Bumpity Bump! ;D

So yeah, I am finally thinking about breaking down and getting Netflix.
Is it really all it's cracked up to be?

My Blu-ray player has netflix. I haven't really looked at theplayer, but I am assuming all I might have to do is connect the ethernet cable to it and away I go. Obviously I am going to do the free month thingy - got it from The Son since he already does the netflix thing.

New Releases? How long until they are streamed? Just curious is all.

So ya, tell me about your netflix please. lol

Tam... I own about 500 DVDs I use netflix more than I watch the DVDs I own.  It's crazy really but for some reason I do. I had to go down to one movie at a time because of finances but I used to do three at a time.  With the online viewing I don't miss the extra dvds.
They have a ton of TV Shows and some decent movies - mostly I use the online viewing to catch up on TV shows. 

You are right about needing to hook up the player to the internet. I use my wii and my ps3 to access netflix online and in both cases I need a disc (provided by free from Netflix)  playing in the system in order to access online viewing. You can go to the website and find out if the same is true for blu-ray dvd player.

To be honest they don't really offer new releases to often online. I just looked at new releases on Instant. There were about 20 movies from 2010 avail and  maybe 40 from 2009 but I hadn't heard of any of them. There's a lot of low budget horror (which I love) low budget action, and a lot of classics. Sometimes you get the the occassional blockbuster comedy -- both Pineapple Express and that Mall Cop movie were avail faster than I expected. 

I've watched Full Metal Jacket, the Karate Kid (old one) and the Last Dragon online so they do have some good movies but you do have to look for them

Like I said I use it for TV. You name the TV show they probably have it online. When I first started watching Dex Showtime was playing them from the beginning every week. I got caught up in it and could wait for the next week so I end up watching all of season one and two online the week before season 3 was released on DVD. Then I watched Season 3 on DVD - because that wasn't avail online yet- and then started watching Season 4 with you. 

Looking at the list now I see They have Grey's Anatomy season 6 so they probably have all the seasons for instant viewing. I know they have a lot of seasons of 30 rock.  I saw last night they offer Monk which I missed so I totally want to see now.  24, The two seasons of Terminator TV series.

they don't have the Wire which I was hoping to catch up on. They have 4 seasons of Battle Star (the new one)
Season two of Cake Boss, three seasons of Eureka (another one I wanted to check out). Family Guy seasons 3-8
3 seasons of the original Flipper tv series  8)  the first three seasons of Hunter  ;D  Seasons 2,3 & 4 of Lois and Clark  8)
11 seasons of married with children maybe now I can find out what people saw in it.  ::)  whoo hoo... there's 8 seasons of monk - I think that all of them! I can finally watch the series!!!  6 seasons of Nip Tuck.  All the person unknown eps.. which means I can erase the last four from  DVR and watch them online and find out how they end

Ruby season 1 and 2 which I just added and moved to the top of my queue

and about 200 other titles I didn't mention!  ;)

Written By: Tam on 10/17/10 at 11:44 am

Tam... I own about 500 DVDs I use netflix more than I watch the DVDs I own.  It's crazy really but for some reason I do. I had to go down to one movie at a time because of finances but I used to do three at a time.  With the online viewing I don't miss the extra dvds.
They have a ton of TV Shows and some decent movies - mostly I use the online viewing to catch up on TV shows. 

You are right about needing to hook up the player to the internet. I use my wii and my ps3 to access netflix online and in both cases I need a disc (provided by free from Netflix)  playing in the system in order to access online viewing. You can go to the website and find out if the same is true for blu-ray dvd player.

To be honest they don't really offer new releases to often online. I just looked at new releases on Instant. There were about 20 movies from 2010 avail and  maybe 40 from 2009 but I hadn't heard of any of them. There's a lot of low budget horror (which I love) low budget action, and a lot of classics. Sometimes you get the the occassional blockbuster comedy -- both Pineapple Express and that Mall Cop movie were avail faster than I expected. 

I've watched Full Metal Jacket, the Karate Kid (old one) and the Last Dragon online so they do have some good movies but you do have to look for them

Like I said I use it for TV. You name the TV show they probably have it online. When I first started watching Dex Showtime was playing them from the beginning every week. I got caught up in it and could wait for the next week so I end up watching all of season one and two online the week before season 3 was released on DVD. Then I watched Season 3 on DVD - because that wasn't avail online yet- and then started watching Season 4 with you.   

Looking at the list now I see They have Grey's Anatomy season 6 so they probably have all the seasons for instant viewing. I know they have a lot of seasons of 30 rock.  I saw last night they offer Monk which I missed so I totally want to see now.   24, The two seasons of Terminator TV series.

they don't have the Wire which I was hoping to catch up on. They have 4 seasons of Battle Star (the new one)
Season two of Cake Boss, three seasons of Eureka (another one I wanted to check out). Family Guy seasons 3-8
3 seasons of the original Flipper tv series  8)   the first three seasons of Hunter  ;D  Seasons 2,3 & 4 of Lois and Clark  8)
11 seasons of married with children maybe now I can find out what people saw in it.  ::)  whoo hoo... there's 8 seasons of monk - I think that all of them! I can finally watch the series!!!  6 seasons of Nip Tuck.  All the person unknown eps.. which means I can erase the last four from  DVR and watch them online and find out how they end

Ruby season 1 and 2 which I just added and moved to the top of my queue

and about 200 other titles I didn't mention!  ;)

That'a awesome Girl. My friend has netflix so she let me log into her account last night to check out the instant watch. I was hoping to be able to view Get Him To The Greek - Big Nasty really wants to see it and we didn't buy it when it came out.

Like you, we have close to 800 dvd's, however most of them are Big Nasty's - he usually takes them with him in soft cases when he deploys. Of course, I have quite a few in there, romance and romantic comedy as well as my sci-fi stuff like Star Wars etc. but there are some older movies that I think I want to own, but would like to check them out first. I did notice that the Jane Austen movies aren't available for instant - only Emma is - I own almost every one but that, Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey.

I think what I will do is go to netflix through the blu-ray and see what it tells me I have to do. I much prefer to watch on the big screen as opposed to watching it online. We both know how long it takes me to get through episodes online! Remember I needed to catch up on the new 90210 and I was doing it online? Ugh! What a horrible time I had doing that. And then I completely lost interest in it because I was tired of sitting at the computer watching. I need the tv in order to catch up or remain caught up.

The Son has watched Dex trying to get caught up, but now he is frustrated because it only has the first 2 seasons - so he needs to have the seasons sent to him now.

Anyway, another question I have is, do I have to received a dvd? I mean, once I pay, I can do all my viewing on instant right? Or do I at least also have to have a dvd delivered every once in a while as well? I suppose once I get it running they will be able to answer all of my questions... but I figured I could ask you, who knows everything there is to know about tv and episodes! ;)

Thanks for your help Girl. I feel like I am in an iceage because I haven't done this yet! Hahaha! ;D

*I forgot that today is a football and Dexter day - so I might wait until tomorrow to set up the netflix*

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/10 at 1:08 pm

That'a awesome Girl. My friend has netflix so she let me log into her account last night to check out the instant watch. I was hoping to be able to view Get Him To The Greek - Big Nasty really wants to see it and we didn't buy it when it came out.

if you join netflix tho you can just have them ship you the DVD in Blu-Ray... .it's about a two day turnaround to get DVDs.

Like you, we have close to 800 dvd's, however most of them are Big Nasty's - he usually takes them with him in soft cases when he deploys. Of course, I have quite a few in there, romance and romantic comedy as well as my sci-fi stuff like Star Wars etc. but there are some older movies that I think I want to own, but would like to check them out first. I did notice that the Jane Austen movies aren't available for instant - only Emma is - I own almost every one but that, Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey.

I think what I will do is go to netflix through the blu-ray and see what it tells me I have to do. I much prefer to watch on the big screen as opposed to watching it online. We both know how long it takes me to get through episodes online! Remember I needed to catch up on the new 90210 and I was doing it online? Ugh! What a horrible time I had doing that. And then I completely lost interest in it because I was tired of sitting at the computer watching. I need the tv in order to catch up or remain caught up.

Just to be clear. When I say I watch online- I'm speaking of via my PS3 or my wii.... I rarely watch on the computer... only when I'm at work... tho I did watch those dexters on my laptop because blu-ray wasn't quite avail for PS3 yet... or maybe I hadn't started using it yet...    who can remember.

I just say online because I know it's still being accessed via the internet.... oh and how cool is this... I can get netflix now on my iphone!!!! 

The Son has watched Dex trying to get caught up, but now he is frustrated because it only has the first 2 seasons - so he needs to have the seasons sent to him now.   same problem I had... only- when I wanted season three it was the week it was released so I didn't get it right away because everyone else had it too. I ended up renting disc one from blockbuster and then getting discs two and three from netflix a week later.

Anyway, another question I have is, do I have to received a dvd? I mean, once I pay, I can do all my viewing on instant right? Or do I at least also have to have a dvd delivered every once in a while as well? I suppose once I get it running they will be able to answer all of my questions... but I figured I could ask you, who knows everything there is to know about tv and episodes! ;)

ha ha... you don't have to rent a DVD... .all you have to do is keep your DVD queue empty and you won't be sent a DVD... but since it's the same charge - well sort of... it's 8.99 to get one DVD at a time and unlimited instant viewing.... or 10.99 for one blu-ray DVD at a time and unlimited viewing... so since you're paying for the service you might as well take advantage of it... like I said you could rent new release DVDs- you don't have to return them right away. you can keep them a day, a month or a year...  it's all the same to netflix but you know, you don't maximize the cost that way. I try to watch enough stuff (tho I'm failing now) so I average 50 cents per dvd a month... that's like 20 a month or something. I was doing great until the new season started.  right now I have to watch another installment of ABC Afterschool Special  8)

Thanks for your help Girl. I feel like I am in an iceage because I haven't done this yet! Hahaha! ;D

*I forgot that today is a football and Dexter day - so I might wait until tomorrow to set up the netflix*

no worries... and um... it doesn't take that long to do it. you can probably get signed up during a commercial break or half time.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/10 at 1:08 pm

I doubt it howard but you could try

I sometimes watch videos using my PS2.

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/10 at 1:10 pm

I sometimes watch videos using my PS2.

videos? or dvds?  ;) 

I was talking about watching netflix thru your PS2--- I don't think you can do that but I could be wrong.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/10 at 1:43 pm

videos? or dvds?  ;) 

I was talking about watching netflix thru your PS2--- I don't think you can do that but I could be wrong.

I meant DVD's.

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/10 at 2:35 pm

I meant DVD's.

I know you did.. that's why I put winky there...

your initial post however was wondering if netflix instant watching would be available for the ps2

Written By: Tam on 10/17/10 at 3:07 pm

if you join netflix tho you can just have them ship you the DVD in Blu-Ray... .it's about a two day turnaround to get DVDs.

Just to be clear. When I say I watch online- I'm speaking of via my PS3 or my wii.... I rarely watch on the computer... only when I'm at work... tho I did watch those dexters on my laptop because blu-ray wasn't quite avail for PS3 yet... or maybe I hadn't started using it yet...    who can remember.

I just say online because I know it's still being accessed via the internet.... oh and how cool is this... I can get netflix now on my iphone!!!!   

same problem I had... only- when I wanted season three it was the week it was released so I didn't get it right away because everyone else had it too. I ended up renting disc one from blockbuster and then getting discs two and three from netflix a week later.

ha ha... you don't have to rent a DVD... .all you have to do is keep your DVD queue empty and you won't be sent a DVD... but since it's the same charge - well sort of... it's 8.99 to get one DVD at a time and unlimited instant viewing.... or 10.99 for one blu-ray DVD at a time and unlimited viewing... so since you're paying for the service you might as well take advantage of it... like I said you could rent new release DVDs- you don't have to return them right away. you can keep them a day, a month or a year...  it's all the same to netflix but you know, you don't maximize the cost that way. I try to watch enough stuff (tho I'm failing now) so I average 50 cents per dvd a month... that's like 20 a month or something. I was doing great until the new season started.   right now I have to watch another installment of ABC Afterschool Special  8)

no worries... and um... it doesn't take that long to do it. you can probably get signed up during a commercial break or half time.

Awesome Girl. You have pretty much answered all the questions I had and ceased my qualms about the service. I will most likely get on it tomorrow. ;)

See, I knew if I posted in this thread, be it over a year old or whatever, you would come to my rescue!!! I suppose I could have sent a pm, but then that wouldn't help anyone else who mmight have the same questions but didn't know who to ask!!! You are an angel!!! 8)

Subject: Re: Netflix and systems!!! Renamed ;)

Written By: Tam on 10/17/10 at 10:19 pm

Ya, so, here is yet another thing for me to be addicted to! *smh

I went to activate the free trial - turns out I can't have the free trial because The Son has already activated for our household. Fabulous!! :-X :D

No biggie. I activated a new account. Put all my info in, activated the blu-ray for streaming... yep yep.
Now for the last 2.5 hours, instead of watching the football game or even Dexter, I have been sitting online adding to my dvd queue and my instant queue. ::) I can tell this probably wasn't a good idea!!! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/10 at 10:56 pm

Ya, so, here is yet another thing for me to be addicted to! *smh

I went to activate the free trial - turns out I can't have the free trial because The Son has already activated for our household. Fabulous!! :-X :D

No biggie. I activated a new account. Put all my info in, activated the blu-ray for streaming... yep yep.
Now for the last 2.5 hours, instead of watching the football game or even Dexter, I have been sitting online adding to my dvd queue and my instant queue. ::) I can tell this probably wasn't a good idea!!! ;D ;D ;D

Is your DVD queue 425 long too?  My instant is only about 127

Written By: Tam on 10/17/10 at 11:02 pm

Is your DVD queue 425 long too?  My instant is only about 127

Not quite lol

15 DVD
48 Instant

But those are all just mine. Once I show Big Nasty how to do it, I am sure it will double if not triple!!! lmao

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/10 at 11:19 pm

Not quite lol

15 DVD
48 Instant

But those are all just mine. Once I show Big Nasty how to do it, I am sure it will double if not triple!!! lmao

no kidding

you know you used to be able to have friends and see what they were watching and what they liked... I miss that feature

Written By: Tam on 10/18/10 at 12:13 am

no kidding

you know you used to be able to have friends and see what they were watching and what they liked... I miss that feature

Dang! That would be so awesome! Although a lot of my instant queue is romantic period pieces and I doubt very much that others want to watch those lol.
I did make a point to add the only movie listed for my best friend's brother. He has been in a lot of stuff, from tv to big screen, but they only have him listed for one! *smh*

Written By: Howard on 10/18/10 at 6:46 am

I know you did.. that's why I put winky there...

your initial post however was wondering if netflix instant watching would be available for the ps2

It would be great if you could put a video in a PS2? ???

Written By: Tam on 10/18/10 at 8:38 am

It would be great if you could a video in a PS2? ???

It would Howard but I don't think they will be able to do it. You need an internet connection and if memory serves, I don't think the PS2 can connect to the internet... ??? :-\\

Written By: karen on 10/18/10 at 8:41 am

Not quite lol

15 DVD
48 Instant

We never got to the end of our netflix queue before we moved back!  I don't think we queued stuff for instant use, just logged on occasionally if we fancied watching something and had watched the DVD's we had.

Written By: Tam on 10/18/10 at 8:44 am

We never got to the end of our netflix queue before we moved back!   I don't think we queued stuff for instant use, just logged on occasionally if we fancied watching something and had watched the DVD's we had.

It's funny Karen... I didn't even think about Netflix only being an American thing. I guess you can't do it now that you are back home huh?

Written By: karen on 10/18/10 at 9:49 am

It's funny Karen... I didn't even think about Netflix only being an American thing. I guess you can't do it now that you are back home huh?

Nope. There is something very similar called LoveFilms.  I'm not sure if we'll sign up or not.  At the moment UK TV programmes are still a novelty (plus most of our US favourites are on here as well) so haven't really wanted to add DVDs to the mix as well.

Written By: Tam on 10/18/10 at 10:05 am

Nope. There is something very similar called LoveFilms.  I'm not sure if we'll sign up or not.  At the moment UK TV programmes are still a novelty (plus most of our US favourites are on here as well) so haven't really wanted to add DVDs to the mix as well.

That makes sense to me! ;) 8)

Written By: Howard on 10/18/10 at 2:19 pm

It would Howard but I don't think they will be able to do it. You need an internet connection and if memory serves, I don't think the PS2 can connect to the internet... ??? :-\\

I didn't think so,I was just asking.

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/10 at 2:36 pm

Since making this post, not only do I have a PS3, I have a 360 and a Wii.  I may consider Netflix

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/10 at 7:12 pm

Since making this post, not only do I have a PS3, I have a 360 and a Wii.  I may consider Netflix

I still need to get me a 360

Written By: popguru85 on 10/21/10 at 3:39 pm

Have a PS3 and Just got an update where I don't even need the disc to stream Netflix. They put the app in the cross media bar.

Written By: whistledog on 10/21/10 at 3:54 pm

I still need to get me a 360

It is worth it.  Wider selection of games, and better interface than PS3.  It's only flaw is no blu-ray player, internet browser or free network (Xbox Live costs money; Playstation network is free)

Written By: Howard on 10/21/10 at 6:55 pm

I still have my Playstation 2.

Written By: snozberries on 10/21/10 at 11:08 pm

Have a PS3 and Just got an update where I don't even need the disc to stream Netflix. They put the app in the cross media bar.

Yeah I got that email yesterday... same for the Wii!!!

Written By: snozberries on 10/21/10 at 11:09 pm

It is worth it.  Wider selection of games, and better interface than PS3.  It's only flaw is no blu-ray player, internet browser or free network (Xbox Live costs money; Playstation network is free)

I don't play games online anyway... so I'd never utilize Xbox live.

Written By: Howard on 10/22/10 at 6:40 am

I don't play games online anyway... so I'd never utilize Xbox live.

But online games are free all you have to do is download Java or some other application and there you go.

Written By: Tia on 10/22/10 at 7:20 am

You may as well wait the extra week and get the PS9.  The way technology is advancing, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS9 came out tomorow ;D
you know something, i was researching it and some folks seem to be saying that the technology may have topped out. apparently it already costs several million dollars to crate a game for the 360 or PS3 and any more technological advancement in the console might wind up making the games prohibitively expensive to make.

Written By: snozberries on 10/22/10 at 9:58 am

But online games are free all you have to do is download Java or some other application and there you go.

not computer online games howard.... games online via PS3 (or Xbox 360)

Written By: Howard on 10/22/10 at 8:12 pm

not computer online games howard.... games online via PS3 (or Xbox 360)

Oh Ok I thought you meant online games.

Check for new replies or respond here...