inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: V - The Visitors

Written By: Tam on 11/03/09 at 8:19 pm

I tuned in to watch the season premier tonight.
I will admit to being somewhat afraid to watch it, only because I remember the one from 1983 scared the crap right out of me.

This re-vamp doesn't seem too bad, granted it was just the first episode.
The premise is still the same, thank goodness, with a few minor changes in order to be up the current times. ie. Terrorists and sleeper cells.
I do think that I will continue to watch, and hope that at 38, I am over the fears of a 12 year old! ;D

The cast is very promising as well.

Morris Chestnut - gorgeous as ever and a defected alien
Elizabeth Mitchell - yep, another Lost alum
Scott Wolf - looking good as well. Of course we know him from The Nine, Everwood, and who can forget Party of Five!

Several other newcomers as well as some older well knowns.

Did anyone else watch the premier?
Thoughts?

Subject: Re: V - The Visitors

Written By: Dagwood on 11/03/09 at 8:46 pm

So far I am liking it.  I loved the original in 1983...I just hope this can live up to the original.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/03/09 at 9:04 pm

Pretty good, but can they top this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObQfWMgmIM

or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhCcpmTBzy4

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/03/09 at 9:05 pm

Or even this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TufUH1T-F18

;D

Written By: Tam on 11/03/09 at 9:19 pm

Pretty good, but can they top this?

;D

Jamie! Dude! That second video is the one that scared me so badly back in the day!!! I didn't even need to watch it this time - I knew what it was already!!! :o :-X

Written By: karen on 11/03/09 at 9:26 pm

I didn't know there was a remake of V on.  I can still remember watching it the first time - dashing home in the evening to be sure of watching it.

I can remember a friend at the time trying to photograph that scene off the TV screen, don't recall if the picture came out or not.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/03/09 at 9:31 pm

I loved all three....I so loved that series.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/04/09 at 3:05 am

I loved the original series, and have the entire miniseries (first and second) and the TV series on DVD.

I can't wait until I get back to the real world so I can see it.

Written By: Womble on 11/04/09 at 6:19 pm

When the original mini-series came out I debated heavily over watching V or the competing mini-series, The Last Days of Pompeii on a different network. Unfortunately I chose Pompeii and watched it in my room while my family watched V in the living room. After 3 nights of that Volcanic soap-opera dreck I switched over to V and was glad I did. I loved it. My family filled me in on what I had missed and brought me up to speed.  I eventually saw the entire mini-series when it was  rerun and later, became a fan of the weekly series. Sadly, I missed the new show last night. I hope to catch it next week.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/04/09 at 10:48 pm

By the way, it's now Glenn Beck's favorite new show!

;D

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/201/32774/

Obama as a possible lizard creature?  Free Healthcare being evil?

Sounds like Beck's wet dream!

;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/07/09 at 12:04 pm

I tuned in to watch the season premier tonight.
I will admit to being somewhat afraid to watch it, only because I remember the one from 1983 scared the crap right out of me.

This re-vamp doesn't seem too bad, granted it was just the first episode.
The premise is still the same, thank goodness, with a few minor changes in order to be up the current times. ie. Terrorists and sleeper cells.
I do think that I will continue to watch, and hope that at 38, I am over the fears of a 12 year old! ;D

The cast is very promising as well.

Morris Chestnut - gorgeous as ever and a defected alien
Elizabeth Mitchell - yep, another Lost alum
Scott Wolf - looking good as well. Of course we know him from The Nine, Everwood, and who can forget Party of Five!

Several other newcomers as well as some older well knowns.

Did anyone else watch the premier?
Thoughts?

Watching it now... about 3 minutes left....its pretty good. wasn't expecting Elizabeth's Mitchell's partner to be a Visitor that was awesome!

I loved the original mini series....even the original TV show... but I like the way they've done it- with respect to the fans.

Written By: snozberries on 11/07/09 at 12:10 pm

Jamie! Dude! That second video is the one that scared me so badly back in the day!!! I didn't even need to watch it this time - I knew what it was already!!! :o :-X

aw Tam how can you be afraid of this little cutie

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=81

;D

Written By: Tam on 11/07/09 at 1:04 pm

;D

I should smite you for that! ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/07/09 at 1:07 pm

I should smite you for that! ;D

but you love me too much to do it!  ;)

Written By: Womble on 11/14/09 at 9:54 pm

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=81

;D

It died anyway.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/26/09 at 1:50 am

"March 2010"?  Dude, WTF?

And they wonder why TV series with decent potential are so short-lived.  I liked the intro... but does ABC seriously expect anyone to remember it 4 months from now?

Like FOX's "Terminator:The Sarah Connor Chronicles", and even FOX's aborted "Drive", "V" would have been a good candidate for a 13-episode, one-season run.

The concept of the "season" (which must always end on a cliffhanger, in order to guarantee zero DVD sales if it's cancelled, or a whole new season! if it's renewed) is the cancer that has killed broadcast TV.

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/09 at 11:33 am

And they wonder why TV series with decent potential are so short-lived.  I liked the intro... but does ABC seriously expect anyone to remember it 4 months from now?

Like FOX's "Terminator:The Sarah Connor Chronicles", and even FOX's aborted "Drive", "V" would have been a good candidate for a 13-episode, one-season run.

The concept of the "season" (which must always end on a cliffhanger, in order to guarantee zero DVD sales if it's cancelled, or a whole new season! if it's renewed) is the cancer that has killed broadcast TV.

something we actually agree on.

Written By: Tam on 12/07/09 at 4:05 pm

I am totally pissed about it not coming back until March! Absolutely ridiculous!
I have it dvr'd, but who's to say whether I will even remember to pick the show back up!
>:( >:( >:(

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/30/10 at 9:39 pm

Attention ABC: You owe ChuckyG a few bucks, because without this site, I'd have forgotten all about the show by now.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/31/10 at 11:22 am

Just watched it yesterday, it was a decent episode.

By the way, the alien baby, reminded me of this.

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/ghoulies-in-toilet.jpg

;D

Subject: Re: V-2010

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/01/10 at 9:17 am

So far, the show is not bad.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/10 at 6:40 pm

I didn't come across any other threads concerning this so I figure I'd start a thread about the new version of V and what you think of it?

The thread is in the 2000's section... it was started when the show premiered in 2009

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=38827.0

Written By: Tam on 04/02/10 at 1:34 pm

I have moved the thread into the 2010's and will merge this topic with it.

8)

Written By: Tam on 04/02/10 at 1:44 pm

Ok, I just watched the episode "Welcome to the War" online because my dvr conveniently forgot to record it. Not to fear, I have it set up now! ;)

I must admit that I am enjoying it more now that it has returned. I was enthralled last fall, but after only 4 or 5 episodes, I was afraid that they were going to ruin the show. Apparently not.

Valerie's cravings from being pregnant - the only time it really grossed me out was when she found the dead mouse in the trap next to the garbage. What acting skills!! I could feel her looking at it wiht longing, wanting to eat it! 8-P

Ana's mating ritual! Wow - remind me never to ask about mating rituals if aliens ever come to our planet! So she is like the female praying mantis! After mating, the mantis tears the head off of the male, then devours him. Looks like Ana was down for a bit of a snack! lol

They are slow in developing the "war" but I get that it has to be that way. People aren't going to automatically run to them wanting to help out.
And I kept thinking "wow Juliet, you are a b!tch now" haha! As Erica - Elizabeth is doing a great job!

I could do without so much cgi - but then again, the show wouldn't have the images and reality, if you will, without cgi. Such is life.

The stuff in this show is laid out for us, so basically there really ins't the need to delve into what some might think are underlying plots. Although I am sure that snoz will be willing to break it down further. She is good like that!

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/15/10 at 8:04 pm

Valerie's cravings from being pregnant - the only time it really grossed me out was when she found the dead mouse in the trap next to the garbage. What acting skills!! I could feel her looking at it wiht longing, wanting to eat it! 8-P

I got a laugh outa that one.  Reminded me of the old gag: 

MENU:
Ratonnastick: $0.05
Ketchup: $0.95

Punchline:
"What, you ever tried rat onna stick without ketchup?"

Ana's mating ritual! Wow - remind me never to ask about mating rituals if aliens ever come to our planet! So she is like the female praying mantis! After mating, the mantis tears the head off of the male, then devours him. Looks like Ana was down for a bit of a snack! lol

I think you've gotten it backwards.  It's "remind me to ask very clearly about mating rituals if humanoid aliens ever show up, no matter how hot they may be."  The fine print's a killer!

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/19/10 at 9:43 pm

Well, there goes the season finale.  Looks like the humans are boned.  Couple of nice homages to the original if it doesn't get picked up for season 2, but here's hoping...

Check for new replies or respond here...