inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1910's Nostalgia

Written By: joeman on 01/01/10 at 12:51 pm

I know it sounds silly, but do you think this decade would resort to nostalgia that has been over 100 years ago?  Usually a decade reminiscence about the good ol' days 20 years ago.  I doubt that there any supercentenarians living would care, but it would be nice to see a 1910's jazz revival or another Charlie Chaplin.

Subject: Re: 1910's Nostalgia

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/01/10 at 12:52 pm

Probally not gonna happen, on either counts.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/01/10 at 2:12 pm

Wow, I didn't know jazz was popular in the 1910's!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/01/10 at 2:13 pm

And yes, I doubt that would happen also.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/25/10 at 8:35 am

Actually as I have been remodeling my house, the interior is very much in 1910's style.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/25/10 at 8:50 am

lol 1910 is so old........why talk abt ww2?? lol

::)

Pre WW1

Actually as I have been remodeling my house, the interior is very much in 1910's style.  :)

Now that is the way to go.  My house was initially built in 1906 and is as solid as a rock. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/25/10 at 9:08 am

Pre WW1

Now that is the way to go.  My house was initially built in 1906 and is as solid as a rock. 

Yep.  My house was built in 1972 and was built pretty solid, and the layout fit in with 1910's type style, but all the trim, doors, and whatnot were really crappy.

So I am redoing everything... lots of sturdy oak and cherry, solid doors, floors, trim, closets, the whole bit.  But... I am doing all the work myself.  There is no way I could afford to pay somebody to do all this stuff.  The early 1900's interior style was definitely sturdy.  My Dad grew up in the 1910's, so that's prolly where I got my design ideas, LOL.

Written By: joeman on 03/25/10 at 12:16 pm

Maybe we can see a WWI nostalgia, but I doubt so because the WWI generation is probably long gone by now :(.  Was there a movie based off WWI?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/25/10 at 1:24 pm

Maybe we can see a WWI nostalgia, but I doubt so because the WWI generation is probably long gone by now :(.  Was there a movie based off WWI?

WW1 rocked.  Trench warfare, mustard gas, massively mechanized killing, the whole nine yards.  Kinda like rock 'em sock 'em robots on a mega scale.  They don't have wars like that any more.  :-X

My grandmother's next door neighbor was a WW1 vet and he was a super nice guy.  He got hit with mustard gas in the trenches, but he still lived until 1979.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/25/10 at 2:10 pm

Yep.  My house was built in 1972 and was built pretty solid, and the layout fit in with 1910's type style, but all the trim, doors, and whatnot were really crappy.

So I am redoing everything... lots of sturdy oak and cherry, solid doors, floors, trim, closets, the whole bit.  But... I am doing all the work myself.  There is no way I could afford to pay somebody to do all this stuff.  The early 1900's interior style was definitely sturdy.  My Dad grew up in the 1910's, so that's prolly where I got my design ideas, LOL.

You'll have to post some pics when you're finished.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/10 at 3:01 pm

Pre WW1

I don't know exactly when our house was built but it is at least 100 years old or so. In the basement on one of the beams is written, "Perry King 1915." In 2015, Carlos & I are going to add our names next to Perry's.

My grandmother was born in 1908. Unfortunately, we lost her in 2008.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/25/10 at 4:20 pm

Justin Beiber could be the new Charlie Chaplin. Everytime he opens his mouth, I laugh.

But really, I like old stuff like that. There's an old home, built in 1906 that's a landmark in town and I love seeing it on my way to work. I toured it once, incredible.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/25/10 at 5:16 pm

My house is the exact opposite, it was built in 1915 and last redecorated mid 70's.  TONS of wallpaper.  Still has a couple nice old-timey chandeliers in the hallway though.  I don't even know where to begin to redecorate.  :)

Was there a movie based off WWI?

The Lost Battalion (starring Ricky Schroder).  Fact-based war drama about an American battalion of over 500 men which gets trapped behind enemy lines in the Argonne Forest in October 1918 France during the closing weeks of World War I.

I recommend it, it was really good.

Also, Lawrence of Arabia.  I've never gotten around to seeing it, but I understand it's good.

All Quiet on the Western Front (again, haven't seen it) got good ratings on IMDB.com.

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/25/10 at 9:46 pm

I'd actually like to see it come back or at least the 1920s. Finely detailed fashion, art, stream-lined architect...

Written By: 80sfan on 03/25/10 at 11:07 pm

Justin Beiber could be the new Charlie Chaplin. Everytime he opens his mouth, I laugh.

But really, I like old stuff like that. There's an old home, built in 1906 that's a landmark in town and I love seeing it on my way to work. I toured it once, incredible.

Aaaaahhhhh ha ha ha ha!  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 03/26/10 at 12:11 am

Was there a movie based off WWI?

O HAI, Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:World_War_I_films

I'd actually like to see it come back or at least the 1920s. Finely detailed fashion, art, stream-lined architect...

Our building is circa 1928 on the outside.  The inside has been gutted and modernized, but the outside is just really frickin' cool.  I wish I could find close up pictures of the detailing, but this is what it looks like:

http://wibiti.com/images/hpmain/583/235583.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 03/26/10 at 7:03 am

Sig is doing my house over.  He did his Moms.  He can afford it, but doesn't trust contracrtors, and my house is small(Cottage style they like to call it.) so he his having quite a bit of fun doing it. 

Written By: danootaandme on 03/26/10 at 7:17 am

World War I is a great, great, war to study up on.  The causes(family feud), the battles, the social upheaval following the "War to End All Wars".  It ended the German and Russian monarchies.  I was into it for quite a while and it still draws me in.

Books:
All's Quiet on the Western Front -Erich Maria Remarque
Johnny Got His Gun -Dalton Trumbo(there's a movie, but read the book instead)
Regeneration, The Eye in the Door, The Ghost Road -Pat Barker
August 1914 - Alexander Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn:
A Soldier of the Great War - Mark Helprin

Movies:

All Quiet on the Western Front
Lawrence of Arabia
Doctor Zhivago
Gallipoli
Joyeux Noël

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/10 at 1:11 pm

Check out the Young Indiana Jones series. Most of them take place during WWI. There are also a lot of bonus features on the DVDs that involves the history of that era. Very interesting.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 03/26/10 at 4:47 pm

I don't know exactly when our house was built but it is at least 100 years old or so. In the basement on one of the beams is written, "Perry King 1915." In 2015, Carlos & I are going to add our names next to Perry's.

Cat

Well he does look good for his age

http://static.cinemarx.ro/poze/postere/actori/per/Perry-King-15580-737.jpg

Just out of curiousity I looked him up on Ancestry.com.  I found one Perry Karlinda King, and a Karlinda King...in South Hero Vermont(1994).  Maybe...maybe not.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/26/10 at 4:50 pm

He does indeed!  Yummy!  Always liked him.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/10 at 5:08 pm

Just out of curiousity I looked him up on Ancestry.com.  I found one Perry Karlinda King, and a Karlinda King...in South Hero Vermont(1994).  Maybe...maybe not.

South Hero is WAY up near the Canadian border.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...