inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jay Leno Returning to 11:30pm Time Slot

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/07/10 at 4:18 pm

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/07/jay-leno-nbc-conan-obrien-tonight-show/

TMZ reports that Leno will be returning to his old, more successful, 11:30pm time slot, bumping Gonad O'Brien from the traditional late-night hot spot.

At this point it is not known if Leno will reclaim the "Tonite Show" moniker or not...  :-\\

Subject: Re: Jay Leno Returning to 11:30pm Time Slot

Written By: Dagwood on 01/07/10 at 4:24 pm

I hope this is true.  I loved Leno in that time slot.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/07/10 at 7:06 pm

This doesn't look good for NBC or Conan.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/07/10 at 7:22 pm

Update:

Pressed by affiliates and shrinking ratings, NBC has a plan in the works to radically alter its late-night television lineup, restoring Jay Leno to his old spot at 11:35 each weeknight, while pushing the man who replaced him, Conan O’Brien, to a starting time of 12:05 a.m.

NBC executives held extensive discussions with both Mr. Leno and Mr. O’Brien Thursday about the future of the network’s late-night lineup.

And while NBC officially said no final decision on the plan has been made, two senior NBC executives who have talked to NBC’s top management about the moves said that under the plan being discussed Mr. Leno would definitely shift back to 11:35 but in a half-hour format, while Mr. O’Brien would slide back his start time by a half hour and then produce an hour-long show.

“We remain committed to keeping Conan O’Brien on NBC,” the network said in a statement Thursday evening. “He is a valued part of our late-night line-up, as he has been for more than 16 years and is one of the most respected entertainers on television.”

The third NBC late-night star, Jimmy Fallon, would then begin his show at 1:05 a.m., the executives said. The revised lineup would go into effect after NBC concludes its coverage of the Winter Olympics on February 28. NBC will pre-empt both its prime-time and late-night lineup for more than two weeks to cover the Olympics, creating a natural break in which to implement the late-night changes.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/07/update-nbc-plans-leno-at-1130-conan-at-12/

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/07/10 at 9:37 pm

Yeah, I heard the new Leno show wasn't working out well last year. Although I would watch him once in awhile, I do hope he returns to 11:30 slot.

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/07/10 at 9:38 pm

Kinda crazy move by NBC if you ask me.
Crazy move to put Leno in as a daily talk show at 10pm to begin with...

What most fans or semi-fans (and especially car fans) want to know is WHY doesn't Jay do a car show?

Its more than known that he's a car freak and he has a award winning site called Jay Leno's Garage for years now, showcasing his huge collection and other odd, unique and classic cars.

It would be an instant hit, at least for the gearhead crowd, and the way Jay presents the cars, it'd be easy for the average Joe or Jane to watch, even if they're not into cars.

Its been rumored that NBC approached Jay (and Tim Allen and Adam Corrola) for an American version of "Top Gear", the popular Brit TV car show, but Jay said no...I can't understand why? ???

Anyhoo, this really sucks for Conan, he's really doing a great job, and as much as I like Jay as a car guy, Conan is so much funnier and creative than Jay could ever hope to be...just the rumors of this is a nasty slap in the face to him.

Does NBC get off on doing wrong to their Late Night wonderboys or what? (shades of David Letterman previously?)

Written By: nally on 01/07/10 at 10:25 pm

This doesn't look good for NBC or Conan.

Exactly as I was thinking when I first saw this thread's title.

Yeah, especially on a major network like NBC.

Written By: Jessica on 01/07/10 at 11:41 pm

What most fans or semi-fans (and especially car fans) want to know is WHY doesn't Jay do a car show?

Its more than known that he's a car freak and he has a award winning site called Jay Leno's Garage for years now, showcasing his huge collection and other odd, unique and classic cars.

It would be an instant hit, at least for the gearhead crowd, and the way Jay presents the cars, it'd be easy for the average Joe or Jane to watch, even if they're not into cars.

Its been rumored that NBC approached Jay (and Tim Allen and Adam Corrola) for an American version of "Top Gear", the popular Brit TV car show, but Jay said no...I can't understand why? ???

Anyhoo, this really sucks for Conan, he's really doing a great job, and as much as I like Jay as a car guy, Conan is so much funnier and creative than Jay could ever hope to be...just the rumors of this is a nasty slap in the face to him.

Does NBC get off on doing wrong to their Late Night wonderboys or what? (shades of David Letterman previously?)

He probably said no to the "Top Gear" premise because 1. it involves a lot of thrashing of cars and b. any wannabe show he tried to pull would pale in comparison to the original and freaking awesome "Top Gear".

That said, NBC sucks for what they are doing to Conan.  I love the hell out of the red headed doofus, and I despise Leno because...well, he is not funny.

Team Conan!

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/10 at 12:50 am

I hope this is true.  I loved Leno in that time slot.

I hope it true only because Leno killed NBC's line up!  >:(

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/08/10 at 1:59 am

Heres an interesting, if only slightly understated  ::) , Open Letter to NBC from Videogum about the situation.

Pretty much sums it up for a lot of pro Conan viewers.... ;D

But will NBC listen?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/08/10 at 6:04 am

I was never a Conan O'Brien fan, and the truth is since he took over the Tonight Show the ratings have been tanking and there was talk of calling in Seinfeld to save the show. 

Written By: whistledog on 01/08/10 at 6:20 am

Conan's doing an awesome job on the Tonight Show.  Is he better than Leno?  Maybe not, but was Leno better than Carson?

You gotta adapt to change.  Initially, when Leno was offered the 10:00 slot, it was a slap in the face to Conan.  Now they want to finish him off by giving Leno back the 11:30 slot?

What NBC needs to do is promote Conan's show more than they do.  Give him some big name guests.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/08/10 at 10:44 am

Personally, I hope that Conan leaves NBC, and goes else where!

They will be all like....

"Please Conan, don't go! We'lll miss you! We have always believed in you!'

And he'll be like....

"**** the whole lot of you!!!!! You can have Leno, for all I care!!!!!!"

He just got the rawest deal of all time!

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/08/10 at 6:30 pm

The CBS Evening News ran this story tonight and you could see that they could hardly contain their glee about the ratings disasters that the Leno and O'Brien programs have been.  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/08/10 at 10:03 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100109/ap_on_en_tv/us_tv_jay_leno

Methinks tonight will be a good Conan monologue.

Hope he goes to FOX...the only reason I watch NBC is for Conan and Sunday Night Football, and maybe the more interesting events in this year's Winter Olympics.  All the good stuff is on FOX anyway.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/09/10 at 1:50 pm

http://tinyurl.com/ygy2fs7

If only he did.  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/12/10 at 2:57 pm

It gets worse....

Conan fans will have to look else where, he plans leaving The Tonight Show, and not coming back.

Congradulations, Jay you successfully stabbed someone in the back, and still kept your job.

Hope that you are happy.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/12/conan-i-want-to-work-for-nbc/

Written By: Jessica on 01/12/10 at 3:13 pm

Conan's letter ruled.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/12/10 at 3:21 pm

Conan's letter ruled.

I agree, his letter showed that he cared about people's jobs, the show, his fans, and Jimmy Fallon. Unlike the evil peacock, who wouldn't know real late night talent, if it stared right at them.

Good luck, Conan!

Proud to be a member of Team Conan, from day one.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/10 at 5:10 pm

Conan's letter ruled.

Problem is, Gonad's Conan's ratings sucked compared to what Leno had been pulling in when he had the Tonite Show, and now Letterman is #1.  So NBC hopes that by putting Leno back in the saddle, they'll reclaim the late-night crown which O'Brien lost.

If the Tonite Show's ratings would not have tanked, it would be Leno who'd be looking for a job right now.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/12/10 at 5:28 pm

I love this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msC3uu4KZbg

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/12/10 at 8:50 pm

Problem is, Gonad's Conan's ratings sucked compared to what Leno had been pulling in when he had the Tonite Show, and now Letterman is #1.  So NBC hopes that by putting Leno back in the saddle, they'll reclaim the late-night crown which O'Brien lost.

If the Tonite Show's ratings would not have tanked, it would be Leno who'd be looking for a job right now.

Except your forgetting that it isn't even about Conan's rating.  It's Leno's ratings.  They're awful at 10PM and it's killing the local newscasts.  Those newscasts are what make the local affiliates their real money and they're ready to jump ship.  The Boston affiliate tried to drop Leno even before it aired.  They knew the 10PM thing wasn't going to work. 

Conan has to improve on the local newscast ratings, which late night shows generally do not do no matter who it is.  Letterman complained for years that the weak CBS ratings were killing him against Leno.

I'm for Conan myself...

http://sirmikeofmitchell.com/sirmitchell/conan03.jpg

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/13/10 at 1:35 am

Really?
And what would have happened when Leno took over the Tonight Show, if Johnny Carson had appeared in "The Just Johnny Show" an hour earlier? ::)

How has Conan been given any fair shake at all to reasonably gauge his success when NBC pulled (sabotaged) half of the Tonights Show previous audience (only months after Conan started "Tonight" mind you) away when Leno went to 10pm? How the heck is that a fair comparison of how well he would of done in the ratings on his own?

Fact is NBC really screwed this up. And Leno, I really like as a car guy, but this is something he should, if he has any respect for Conan and himself, walk away from. He doesn't need the money and had complained before about the demands the show had on his life anyway.
He was done with it so why go back, especially under these circumstances.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/13/10 at 11:59 am

I wish Conan goes to FOX since they don't have a Late-Night Show.

Maybe he should try to get a slot for The CW...they sure could use the audience! (Though my affiliate is the 3rd best CW Affiliate).

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/13/10 at 6:17 pm

Really?
And what would have happened when Leno took over the Tonight Show, if Johnny Carson had appeared in "The Just Johnny Show" an hour earlier? ::)

How has Conan been given any fair shake at all to reasonably gauge his success when NBC pulled (sabotaged) half of the Tonights Show previous audience (only months after Conan started "Tonight" mind you) away when Leno went to 10pm? How the heck is that a fair comparison of how well he would of done in the ratings on his own?

Fact is NBC really screwed this up. And Leno, I really like as a car guy, but this is something he should, if he has any respect for Conan and himself, walk away from. He doesn't need the money and had complained before about the demands the show had on his life anyway.
He was done with it so why go back, especially under these circumstances.

Remember what started this whole thang is that SIX YEARS AGO, NBC and Gonad did a contract to take the Tonite Show away from Leno.

Now... All this said... Leno had better deliver some big-time ratings when he takes over Tonite, or else he'll be up sh*t creek.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/13/10 at 6:18 pm

Remember what started this whole thang is that SIX YEARS AGO, NBC and Gonad did a contract to take the Tonite Show away from Leno.

Now... All this said... Leno had better deliver some big-time ratings when he takes over Tonite, or else he'll be up sh*t creek.

I was under the impression that Leno decided that he didn't want to do the show anymore and supported Conan taking over. 

Written By: Dagwood on 01/13/10 at 6:46 pm

I was under the impression that Leno decided that he didn't want to do the show anymore and supported Conan taking over. 

NBC made the decision for him.  Leno said he wanted to retire to save face...it sounds better than they are taking it away and giving it to hiim.

Written By: whistledog on 01/13/10 at 8:41 pm

I wish Conan goes to FOX since they don't have a Late-Night Show.

Bones, Griffin, Simpson, O'Brien ??? 

If Conan goes to FOX, he'll probably take a BIG drop in salary, and may lose alot of viewers.  It was bad enough when NBC initially offered Leno a show at 10:00 ...

Conan:  Finally, I'm head of the NBC late night line-up
NBC:  The Jay Leno Show to premiere at 10:00
Conan:  GAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Written By: Jessica on 01/13/10 at 8:57 pm

I'm hearing conflicting things.  You're saying that Conan and NBC took the show away, but I'm reading elsewhere that Leno's contract was expiring.  Which is it?

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/13/10 at 10:31 pm

I'm hearing conflicting things.  You're saying that Conan and NBC took the show away, but I'm reading elsewhere that Leno's contract was expiring.  Which is it?

Leno's contract was expiring, it was his last renewal opportunity in his contract terms too. NBC did approach him that they were anxious to keep Conan as he might jump ship if Leno "re-upped" for another 5-10yrs without offering Conan a shot at the tonight show.
As Leno had already made comments that he wanted to have more time for other projects and hinted that he'd not be renewing his contract, no one really thought he wanted to come back to the Tonight show.
Leno was offered a open slot for another show on NBC if he did leave, but only if he wanted it that way...

So NBC, Leno and Conan all got what they wanted.

Its not like NBC and Conan conspired to "get" him or did some hatchet job to get Jay out of there, he went on his own choice.

I kinda feel sorry for Leno, he's taking a huge hit from both sides over this flack. He's a company guy, very loyal to his "boss", doesn't make waves. NBC stood by him during the dark days/low ratings right after he got the Tonight Show over David Letterman, he's going to "play" for them if they ask him to, so he's stuck in a hard place.

Too bad he doesn't have any sense of loyalty to Conan or maybe he could sympathize with his plight over what crap NBC is pulling on his predecessor.

Imagine if NBC was as harsh with Jay as they were with Conan when Jay started out on the Tonight Show, we wouldn't even be discussing this...Jay Leno who? ???

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/10 at 8:45 am

From what I have heard, apparently in Conan's contract for The Tonight Show, it doesn't state a time slot, so NBC can push him to 12:05am at their will.

If this does occur, CBS will have the upper hand as Letterman can be seen at 11:35, so will viewers switch to CBS to see Dave, then switch back to NBC to see Conan?  It's as if NBC sees Jay as the glue that holds the late night line-up together.  Leno is good yes, but will NBC late night survive without him?  One way to find out.

In the past, NBC has made some boneheaded moves, like in 1990, when they cancelled 'The Hogan Family', or when they said "Let's give Joey Tribbiani a shot on his own"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/14/10 at 6:32 pm

Even Indiana Jones thinks that Conan is getting shafted!

:o

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5g1fd5lZF6e3WXKt7NOqIaoY5SDvw

Written By: Frank on 01/14/10 at 6:35 pm

The shots that Leno and Conan are taking at each other and NBC (And Letterman's shots too)  are pretty funny.
This is a messy situation. Let's see how this unfolds.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/14/10 at 6:36 pm

By the way, mark the calender for January 23, because it might be the last day Conan has a show on NBC.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/15/10 at 9:53 am

Jimmy Kimmel slams Leno, on his own show!

Leno...... YOU GOT SERVED!

;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwO6BkCtIo

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/16/10 at 1:21 am

Well its pretty much over now...

As you can tell Conan has given up a fight to stay on as he has put up the Tonight show for sale on Craigslist.

No, seriously, its a real ad on the LA Craigslist board, wonder who's interested in buying? ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/16/10 at 12:25 pm

Well its pretty much over now...

As you can tell Conan has given up a fight to stay on as he has put up the Tonight show for sale on Craigslist.

No, seriously, its a real ad on the LA Craigslist board, wonder who's interested in buying? ::)

I am!

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/17/10 at 10:13 am

Jeff Zucker Had Conan Arrested

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/no-joke-jeff-zucker-had-conan-arrested/#coco

Written By: Brian06 on 01/17/10 at 12:11 pm

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6d1caacad1/jay-s-2004-announcement

"So I don't want to see all the fighting and the 'who's better?' nasty things back and forth in the press. So here it is: Conan, it's yours. See you in five years, buddy."

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/17/10 at 4:03 pm

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6d1caacad1/jay-s-2004-announcement

"So I don't want to see all the fighting and the 'who's better?' nasty things back and forth in the press. So here it is: Conan, it's yours. See you in five years, buddy."

Apparently, that wasn't really the case....

::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/17/10 at 5:58 pm

Even the celebs are speaking out.....

For Team Conan

Christina Applegate

Rosie O'Donnell

Ice T

Marlee Matlin

Jim Gaffigan

Dave Letterman

Patton Oswald

Jimmy Kimmell

Chevy Chase

Howard Stern

Ben Stiller

Alyssa Milano

Sarah Silverman

Ricky Gervais

Matthew Perry

Samantha Ronson

Team Jay

Paul Reiser

Jerry Seinfeld

Written By: Jessica on 01/17/10 at 6:06 pm

If Jason is feeling better tomorrow, we're going to our local Coco rally.  Yeah, it's pretty much been decided what is going to happen with Conan, but it still might be fun.  I'll try to take pictures if we go.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-talk-conan-obrien-rallyjan18,0,37106.story

Written By: whistledog on 01/17/10 at 9:12 pm

Everyone should boycott NBC.  The late night lineup won't be the same without Conan. 

SAVE CONAN!
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/improvised-blog/conan_o_brien.jpg

Written By: nally on 01/17/10 at 9:20 pm

Everyone should boycott NBC.  The late night lineup won't be the same without Conan. 

SAVE CONAN!
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/improvised-blog/conan_o_brien.jpg

Exactly as I was thinking when I heard the news yesterday!! Karma+1

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/18/10 at 8:26 am

Everyone should boycott NBC. 

They already have.  In the last 12 months of the Tonite Show hosted by Leno, the show's profit was $25 million.  Projected first-year profit for the first year of the Tonite Show with Gonad Conan is running at a LOSS of $3 million to $5 million.

However if things to not return to a decent profit with Leno back at the desk, then Leno might get kicked to the curb too.  :-\\

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/10 at 9:21 am

They already have.  In the last 12 months of the Tonite Show hosted by Leno, the show's profit was $25 million.  Projected first-year profit for the first year of the Tonite Show with Gonad Conan is running at a LOSS of $3 million to $5 million.

However if things to not return to a decent profit with Leno back at the desk, then Leno might get kicked to the curb too.  :-\\

Gosh, I sure hope that Leno does get kick to the curb, for good.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/10 at 1:04 pm

Even during the Golden Globes, the celebrites weighed in on the whole thing....

;D

"It's not rain, it's God crying for NBC"  -  Tina Fey

"Let's us move on before NBC replaces me with Jay Leno." - Ricky Gervais

"Thanks for believing in a 10 o'clock drama."  -  Julianna Margulis, after wining her award, for best actress, in a TV drama.

"NBC said it was gonna rain at 10, but then they moved it to 11:30." - Tom Hanks

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/18/10 at 2:59 pm

Even during the Golden Globes, the celebrites weighed in on the whole thing....

;D

"It's not rain, it's God crying for NBC"  -  Tina Fey

"Let's us move on before NBC replaces me with Jay Leno." - Ricky Gervais

"Thanks for believing in a 10 o'clock drama."  -  Julianna Margulis, after wining her award, for best actress, in a TV drama.

"NBC said it was gonna rain at 10, but then they moved it to 11:30." - Tom Hanks

During the red carpet pregame show, Julia Roberts said to the interviewer "You work for NBC?  They're in the toilet."  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/10 at 8:07 pm

During the red carpet pregame show, Julia Roberts said to the interviewer "You work for NBC?  They're in the toilet."   ;D

OH SNAP!

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/10 at 8:13 pm

My favorite one was Arnold, said that the only way "He (James Cameron), can make more money, is he gets hired by NBC, or hired by NBC."

;D

Damn, that's cold!

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/10 at 8:21 pm

Coooooooooooooooooool!

Conan himself appeared at the rally!

http://www.thewrap.com/files/imagecache/slideshow_full/slideshow_images/3997/Conan_OBrien_rooftop_rally.JPG

http://www.thewrap.com/files/imagecache/slideshow_full/slideshow_images/3997/conan_roof_brent_lowrey.jpg

http://www.thewrap.com/files/imagecache/slideshow_full/slideshow_images/3997/conan_crowd_sean_oconnor.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/10 at 8:28 pm

Jay's speech about the whole thing.....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/01/jay-leno-goes-light-on-the-jokes-heavy-on-the-truth.html

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/10 at 9:08 pm

Lasting post, for awhile....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0YK646-iBU

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/10 at 11:10 pm

Conan for sale on Craiglist!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cas/1558679241.html

Written By: danootaandme on 01/19/10 at 5:54 am

oh boo hoo!  poor Conan.  He has a choice of staying on the The Tonight Show, only it will air 1/2 hour later, or taking a 35 million dollar walk.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/19/10 at 11:26 am

Also now on Team Conan.....

Louis C.K.

Simon Pegg

Edgar Frost

And Jay still has......

The dudes from Seinfeld and Mad About You.

;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/19/10 at 2:10 pm

Jay's speech about the whole thing.....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/01/jay-leno-goes-light-on-the-jokes-heavy-on-the-truth.html

I totally feel for Conan... but Leno is getting screwed over pretty good, and being made to look worse for it.  He's still under contract so they basically can do what they want with him, or else he doesn't work.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/19/10 at 2:49 pm

I totally feel for Conan... but Leno is getting screwed over pretty good, and being made to look worse for it.  He's still under contract so they basically can do what they want with him, or else he doesn't work.

Leno's screwing started way back in 2004, when Gonad Conan signed a contract with NBC that essentially stole Leno's job in 2009.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/19/10 at 6:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ9m1an-pQ8&feature=player_embedded

in case you weren't confused enough, here it is in animated form... Conan as the Hulk is worth the watch!

Written By: whistledog on 01/19/10 at 7:02 pm

oh boo hoo!  poor Conan.  He has a choice of staying on the The Tonight Show, only it will air 1/2 hour later, or taking a 35 million dollar walk.

It's the principle of the whole thing

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/10 at 6:17 am

It's the principle of the whole thing

???  Principle....Hollywood......oh c'mon  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/10 at 5:25 pm

way to put it in perspective... I'd take the money and run!

Written By: Jessica on 01/20/10 at 5:28 pm

So.  The question no one has addressed....what is going to happen when Jay decides to REALLY retire?  I dare say Coco is going to want to come back to Zucker's f*ckery, and Jimmy Fallon, in an almost impossible move, is less funny than Jay Leno, so I don't think he'd appeal to the 11:35 (m)asses.

Way to think ahead there, NBC.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/20/10 at 6:01 pm

So.  The question no one has addressed....what is going to happen when Jay decides to REALLY retire?  I dare say Coco is going to want to come back to Zucker's f*ckery, and Jimmy Fallon, in an almost impossible move, is less funny than Jay Leno, so I don't think he'd appeal to the 11:35 (m)asses.

I agree....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/20/10 at 6:28 pm

Late Shift II: Rolling Thunder of Revenge? 

I would pay to see it!

;D

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/01/20/quentin-tarantino-conan-obrien/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20ew/popwatch%20%28Entertainment%20Weekly%27s%20PopWatch%29

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/20/10 at 8:55 pm

So much for that happening....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GxGsHl2g9k

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/21/10 at 7:48 am

Some good points, except Gonad O'Brien was tanking in the ratings and NBC would not want him back on the Tonite Show.  And I agree, Jimmy Fallus is about as funny as toe fungus.

NBC needs to be putting together a succession plan for the Tonite Show desk man.

Written By: Jessica on 01/21/10 at 7:54 am

Some good points, except Gonad O'Brien was tanking in the ratings and NBC would not want him back on the Tonite Show.  And I agree, Jimmy Fallus is about as funny as toe fungus.

NBC needs to be putting together a succession plan for the Tonite Show desk man.

Maybe Jeff Zucker can host.  He's managed to make NBC a laughingstock anyways. :P

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/10 at 9:32 am

Rather than screw hosts out of their jobs and shuffle the line-up like a deck of cards, NBC should just retire 'The Tonight Show' altogether.  Zucker is all to blame in this as it was his hairbrained idea to offer Leno a 10:00 show.  If they had just let Jay retire, things wouldn't have been so bad.

Having a nightly talk show start at 10:00 was the stupidest idea.  CSI: Miami, Numb3rs, The Mentalist and Ugly Betty.  All top rated shows competing against Jay Leno?    Of course he didn't stand a chance. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/21/10 at 10:03 am

It's official, tomorrow's episode of Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien, is the last one ever.

:\'(

Written By: nally on 01/21/10 at 10:04 am

It's official, tomorrow's episode of Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien, is the last one ever.

:\'( :\'(

I got nothin' else.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/21/10 at 10:11 am

:\'( :\'(

I got nothin' else.

The lesson to learned......

You can do anything your mind is set on, unless of course NBC wants it bumped to 11:45, and in that case.... you're screwed.

Written By: nally on 01/21/10 at 10:15 am

The lesson to learned......

You can do anything your mind is set on, unless of course NBC wants it bumped to 11:45, and in that case.... you're screwed.

11:45, that would give whoever's on before, only 10 minutes of airtime. But you are right.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/21/10 at 10:39 am

11:45, that would give whoever's on before, only 10 minutes of airtime. But you are right.

Or as Adam Sandler put more bluntly on yesterday's episode...

NBC, Nothing But *****.

;D

I was surprised to find out that Sandler and Chris Farley, where actually fired by NBC, while they will still on Saturday Night Live.

So, it's not the first bone headed move, done by the peacock.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/10 at 7:23 am

Y'know, in the grand scheme of things, this is less than a blip.  I predict within a few days, hard as it may seem to believe, we will all be able to get on with our lives.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/22/10 at 9:06 am

Or as Adam Sandler put more bluntly on yesterday's episode...

NBC, Nothing But *****.

;D

I was surprised to find out that Sandler and Chris Farley, where actually fired by NBC, while they will still on Saturday Night Live.

So, it's not the first bone headed move, done by the peacock.

I don't know the back story about Sandler's dismissal, but in the case of Farley he was a completely self-destructive disaster.  (His booze, food, and drug addictions even predated his initial auditions for the Second City comedy troupe).  If I recall correctly, Lorne Michaels told Farley to clean up his act or don't come back... which is a not-unusual thing for employers who have an employee who is a raging addict.  Besides in that season, SNL's ratings sucked and the brass decided to rebuild the cast.

They did actually bring Farley back for a week as guest host, but he showed up drunk.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/10 at 9:20 am

Y'know, in the grand scheme of things, this is less than a blip.  I predict within a few days, hard as it may seem to believe, we will all be able to get on with our lives.

Your absolutely right, but still it would have been great, if NBC gave Conan, more of a chance.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/10 at 9:55 am

Someone on imdb, took the words right out of mouth....

"Jay Leno will serve as a source of inspiration for millions of people.

Whenever someone fails at something, be it a school test, a job, a marriage, or anything else, they need only think of Jay and remember that failure can be rewarded. "

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/10 at 11:23 am

Even the celebs are speaking out.....

For Team Conan

Christina Applegate

Rosie O'Donnell

Ice T

Marlee Matlin

Jim Gaffigan

Dave Letterman

Patton Oswald

Jimmy Kimmell

Chevy Chase

Howard Stern

Ben Stiller

Alyssa Milano

Sarah Silverman

Ricky Gervais

Matthew Perry

Samantha Ronson

Team Jay

Paul Reiser

Jerry Seinfeld

Of course Letterman is on Team Conan... Letterman is finally winning the ratings race...  ;D

The View ladies were talking about where conan might go and Babs said she didn't know if Fox could afford to pay Conan what he needs.... what the hell does he need he just got 33 million basically he could never work again and be okay....

Written By: Jessica on 01/22/10 at 12:15 pm

Y'know, in the grand scheme of things, this is less than a blip.  I predict within a few days, hard as it may seem to believe, we will all be able to get on with our lives.

Eh, it served as a nice distraction from all the problems in the real world.

Of course Letterman is on Team Conan... Letterman is finally winning the ratings race...  ;D

The View ladies were talking about where conan might go and Babs said she didn't know if Fox could afford to pay Conan what he needs.... what the hell does he need he just got 33 million basically he could never work again and be okay....

I think he was using a good portion of his severance pay to supplement the piss poor severance his staff was getting.  If that's true, then way cool of him.

As for working again, I think one of the stipulations of the settlement with NBC was that he couldn't work anywhere else on television for 8 months, which is crap.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/22/10 at 1:36 pm

Stick it to the man, Conan!  ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjdspvErqME

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/10 at 4:02 pm

My top ten favorite Conan moments!

10)  Camp Michael  McDonald

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSVq3UOZWCY&feature=player_embedded

9) Frankenstein Wastes YET ANOTHER Minute Of Our Time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdhX_gnw7ns&feature=related

8) Recliner of Rage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDKVU3tiBoQ&feature=related

7) Chris Martin & Conan's Christmas Duet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuRYpT9sKaQ

6) Conan sings "He's Gone" for Richie "LaBamba" Rosenberg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm4Hgv9RnPE&feature=related

5) Men Without Hats Conversation Channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3dX2KDhog&feature=related

4)  Jim Carrey as Conan O`Brien

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7StsXTQhYs

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/10 at 4:06 pm

2)  The Interrupter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd6o-ou_V1w&feature=PlayList&p=A65A13D779E6AC11&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

1)  Jackie vs Conan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUz6KdHGKN8&feature=related

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/10 at 6:10 pm

For some reason, this song seems appropriate for the last episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl22IHX-3Hc

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/10 at 6:14 pm

Eh, it served as a nice distraction from all the problems in the real world.

I think he was using a good portion of his severance pay to supplement the piss poor severance his staff was getting.  If that's true, then way cool of him.

As for working again, I think one of the stipulations of the settlement with NBC was that he couldn't work anywhere else on television for 8 months, which is crap.

The deal was for 45 mil.  Conan gets 33, the executive producer gets 4.5 and the staff gets to split 7.5  

Written By: Jessica on 01/22/10 at 7:15 pm

The deal was for 45 mil.  Conan gets 33, the executive producer gets 4.5 and the staff gets to split 7.5 

Yep, and there's this:

“In the end, Conan was appreciative of the steps NBC made to take care of his staff and crew, and decided to supplement the severance they were getting out of his own pocket,” his manager, Gavin Polone, told The Wall Street Journal. “Now he just wants to get back on the air as quickly as possible.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34970662/ns/entertainment-television/

There is talk of Jimmy Fallon taking over The Tonight Show.  If that happens, I'm going to slap someone.  Jimmy Fallon is about as funny as a case of genital warts.

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/10 at 7:17 pm

Yep, and there's this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34970662/ns/entertainment-television/

There is talk of Jimmy Fallon taking over The Tonight Show.  If that happens, I'm going to slap someone.  Jimmy Fallon is about as funny as a case of genital warts.

ah well good for conan.. still he'll walk away with more money than I'll see in like 4 or 5 lifetimes

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/10 at 9:47 pm

Hah!  Conan got his final sweeeeeeeet revenge on NBC, today!!!!!!!

Jay's lame *** show, didn't air today!  It got bumped for Dateline!

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/23/10 at 12:45 am

Just saw the last episode, it was a great way to out.

His final guests were Tom Hanks, Will Ferrell, Neil Young, Billy Gibbons, Ben Harper, and Beck.

And they ended it by playing Freebird.

His last speech, was also great too.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/23/10 at 1:18 am

http://sirmikeofmitchell.com/sirmitchell/conan03.jpg

http://yafh.com/image/fa276b0f-ImWithKoko.jpg

Oh, wait, the other one :)

http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/kanyeleno.jpg

No dog in this fight, but between the moar cowbell and the Freebird, I'd say it was a good way to go.  Well-played, Conan, well-played.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/23/10 at 1:43 am

Good ending, Conan really teared up during his final statement from the desk. Part of me wishes Conan just took the 12:05 but I understand his reasoning, it's just sad seeing his dream Tonight Show run being so short. Hopefully he'll be back on the air soon.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/10 at 6:15 am

The deal was for 45 mil.  Conan gets 33, the executive producer gets 4.5 and the staff gets to split 7.5  

Conan get 33, the staff splits 7.5, yeah Conan, you're all heart.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/23/10 at 1:37 pm

Which is pretty much, more than they make right now, any way.

Written By: nally on 01/23/10 at 1:53 pm

Hah!  Conan got his final sweeeeeeeet revenge on NBC, today!!!!!!!

Jay's lame *** show, didn't air today!  It got bumped for Dateline!

;D

How about dem apples! :D

Just saw the last episode, it was a great way to out.

His final guests were Tom Hanks, Will Ferrell, Neil Young, Billy Gibbons, Ben Harper, and Beck.

And they ended it by playing Freebird.

His last speech, was also great too.

I watched that too. He really expressed it well.

Written By: nally on 01/23/10 at 1:53 pm

Good ending, Conan really teared up during his final statement from the desk. Part of me wishes Conan just took the 12:05 but I understand his reasoning, it's just sad seeing his dream Tonight Show run being so short. Hopefully he'll be back on the air soon.

I hope so too.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/23/10 at 8:13 pm

I hope so too.

Ditto.

Written By: whistledog on 01/25/10 at 4:58 pm

I hope he returns as well.  I was thinking about watching Jay Leno tonight, but my TV recommended I punch myself in the junk instead ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/25/10 at 6:57 pm

I hope he returns as well.  I was thinking about watching Jay Leno tonight, but my TV recommended I punch myself in the junk instead ;D

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/26/10 at 1:51 pm

Is Leno worse than the squared mustache dude?  Wall Street Journal says so!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704375604575023132215883398.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

Keep in mind, one killed hundreds of millions of people, the other indirectly had a show canceled, before it's own prime.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/26/10 at 4:39 pm

Well, $7.5M across ~200 folks is something like $37500 each.  Over seven months, plus whatever NBC threw in on top of that, not too bad.  I figure most of them will be rehired by Conan when he starts his show up in September anyway.  I also figure that some of the 200 will get paid more, and interns and part time help probably get much less since they're not as vested into the inner machinations of the show.  So the integral staff probably gets much more than the NBC+$37500 package. 

Conan's the on-screen talent that everyone wants to see...sure, we also enjoy watching Pierre Bernard's Recliner of Rage and that one black guy's soliloquy's, and Preparation H Raymond and the Masturbating Bear, but most of us tune in just because of Conan.  And that's why he's worth the $45M, $12M of which he gave to his staff.  I'd say he deserved the $33M he kept for himself.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/26/10 at 7:12 pm

I really hope so!  :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/26/10 at 11:06 pm

I noticed something the past couple nights with Conan reruns...it seems NBC is taking some not so subtle jabs at him using his own self-deprecating jokes about him leaving and stuff to that effect.  Don't know if it's coincidence but we will see after tomorrow's rerun. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/27/10 at 10:08 pm

Can Sarah Palin be Jay's Ed McMahon?
8)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/27/10 at 11:07 pm

Hmmm.  In tonight's episode Conan interviewed Jennifer Aniston and mentioned how he and Leno were friends.  Hmm. 

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/27/10 at 11:37 pm

Check out the trailer of Oprahs show --- Leno on Oprah: I Haven't Talked to Conan

From Gawker.tv]

Some of Winfrey's questions for Leno:

* When they asked you to go back, did you ever think, "I'm taking away Conan's dream?"
    * America has taken sides, and a lot of people are not on your side. Did you ever ask yourself, "Well, am I being selfish?"
    * Do you think you could be Number One again?

Also small (but ugly) trailer trip from E! on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBxqS2IC_Kw

Written By: danootaandme on 01/28/10 at 7:41 am

Leno and O'Brien are both from Massachusetts, Leno was working class, almost thrown out of school, Emerson when Emerson was pretty much second rate.  O'Brien was Brookline, very well-to-do, Harvard.  Leno played every sleazy comedy club, even the "Hillbilly Ranch" while O'Brien took his trust fund west.  I would say that in a tight spot anytime, anywhere, it is Leno, whose street smarts, will pull the rabbit out of the hat.

Written By: Jessica on 01/28/10 at 8:22 am

Leno and O'Brien are both from Massachusetts, Leno was working class, almost thrown out of school, Emerson when Emerson was pretty much second rate.  O'Brien was Brookline, very well-to-do, Harvard.  Leno played every sleazy comedy club, even the "Hillbilly Ranch" while O'Brien took his trust fund west.  I would say that in a tight spot anytime, anywhere, it is Leno, whose street smarts, will pull the rabbit out of the hat.

So just because he's working class and didn't have a trust fund and worked at sleazy clubs, we're supposed to like Leno? ???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/28/10 at 9:29 am

So just because he's working class and didn't have a trust fund and worked at sleazy clubs, we're supposed to like Leno? ???

I agree, with that statement. Are we suppose to side with Leno, because he is "one of us"?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/28/10 at 10:14 am

Considering all the lumps Conan took during his career, it's not like he had it handed to him either.  Bouncing around, writing for the Simpsons and SNL in some of the more memorable sketches and episodes, and putting Late Night on par with when Letterman was the host...not too shabby.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/28/10 at 4:27 pm

No, but he didn't have it as easy and people who go through crap are a bit more streetwise, more wary, and have and edge when it come to knowing what it takes to keep one step ahead. 

Considering all the lumps Conan took during his career, it's not like he had it handed to him either.  Bouncing around, writing for the Simpsons and SNL in some of the more memorable sketches and episodes, and putting Late Night on par with when Letterman was the host...not too shabby.

Yeah, but he never had to play the "Hillbilly Lounge" and eat at Buzzys.  You'd have to be from the Boston area to know what I am talking about.  The truth is, too, that Leno left a show that had higher, or on par rating against Letterman and when Conan took over the ratings tanked, more than Lenos tanked against the new time slot, and that is why Leno gets the slot back and Conan goes home.  From what I understand they were shopping around for someone to take Conans slot anyway. The same will happen to Leno if he can't get the ratings back.

You may like Conan, but he didn't produce.  His ratings tanked to the tune of 47%, that is huge.  if it wasn't Leno it would have been someone else. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/28/10 at 4:44 pm

You may like Conan, but he didn't produce.  His ratings tanked to the tune of 47%, that is huge.  if it wasn't Leno it would have been someone else. 

You got that right, 'Noota.

TV boils down to one thing... Ratings... and Conan could not come up with the goods.

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/10 at 7:43 pm

TV boils down to one thing... Ratings... and Conan could not come up with the goods.

NBC could've atleast gievn him a longer chance.  Look what they did for Seinfeld.  It was atleast 3 seasons in before that show caught on.

Written By: snozberries on 01/28/10 at 9:50 pm

NBC could've atleast gievn him a longer chance.  Look what they did for Seinfeld.  It was atleast 3 seasons in before that show caught on.

different era then, different people in charge.  The networks don't seem to want to give anything time anymore...they're all looking for instant success.  >:(

Written By: Frank on 01/28/10 at 9:59 pm

different era then, different people in charge.  The networks don't seem to want to give anything time anymore...they're all looking for instant success.  >:(

I saw parts of his interview with Oprah..

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/29/10 at 4:18 pm

I saw parts of his interview with Oprah..

What did you thing it?

???

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/10 at 4:27 pm

What did you thing it?

???

I watched it about an hour ago. I think it was pretty good. I mean I never really cared one way or the other about this whole thing cuz I watch neither Jay nor Conan... I was angry at NBC for pulling good shows to put Jay in prime time and am very glad to see that didn't work I love my prime time shows and feel there's a time and place for talk shows but prime time is not it..... what I never understood was this whole vilification of Jay like Jay did something wrong. It never made sense to me...

If Jay is right about the numbers, he said his show - in prime time was down 14% and Conan's was down 49% - if those numbers are accurate then NBC made the right decision...and it was pretty stupid and short sighted of them to pull someone out of a number one spot. I mean the whole idea of television is "If it ain't broke don't fix it..." NBC is the only enemy in this "war"

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/29/10 at 5:43 pm

I watched it about an hour ago. I think it was pretty good. I mean I never really cared one way or the other about this whole thing cuz I watch neither Jay nor Conan... I was angry at NBC for pulling good shows to put Jay in prime time and am very glad to see that didn't work I love my prime time shows and feel there's a time and place for talk shows but prime time is not it..... what I never understood was this whole vilification of Jay like Jay did something wrong. It never made sense to me...

If Jay is right about the numbers, he said his show - in prime time was down 14% and Conan's was down 49% - if those numbers are accurate then NBC made the right decision...and it was pretty stupid and short sighted of them to pull someone out of a number one spot. I mean the whole idea of television is "If it ain't broke don't fix it..." NBC is the only enemy in this "war"

The reason we are not liking Leno at this point is because he basically said in 2004 that the Tonight Show would go to Conan in 2009.  Now he suddenly didn't mean it, information Conan could have used five years ago.  Therein lies fault with NBC, because NBC basically forced that changeover, which wasn't Leno's fault, but Leno should have been man enough to say "Hey NBC, you suck, I'm not going anywhere because I'm #1!" but he didn't.

Note also that after Carson retired, Leno got destroyed in the ratings by Letterman until the Hugh Grant ordeal.  Note also that Letterman was starting a new show at the time, and Leno was taking over the established king of all late-night franchises.  Leno got three years to get his crap together.  Conan got seven months, the last two weeks of which his ratings skyrocketed in part due to the scandal.  The times have changed, but that still seems unfair.

So I agree that it's mostly NBC's fault, but to say Leno is without blame is incorrect.

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/10 at 5:57 pm

I remember the show where Leno initially announced Conan would get the Tonight Show, he said that NBC didn't want to lose Conan.  There's a keeper ::)

NBC needs to do what's best for the network, and as long as Jeff Zucker is behind the wheel, that ain't gonna happen :(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/29/10 at 9:48 pm

I love Jimmy Kimmel right now!

He's hammering Leno!

;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujo9FRh8nf0

Written By: snozberries on 01/30/10 at 2:54 am

The reason we are not liking Leno at this point is because he basically said in 2004 that the Tonight Show would go to Conan in 2009.  Now he suddenly didn't mean it, information Conan could have used five years ago.  Therein lies fault with NBC, because NBC basically forced that changeover, which wasn't Leno's fault, but Leno should have been man enough to say "Hey NBC, you suck, I'm not going anywhere because I'm #1!" but he didn't.

Note also that after Carson retired, Leno got destroyed in the ratings by Letterman until the Hugh Grant ordeal.  Note also that Letterman was starting a new show at the time, and Leno was taking over the established king of all late-night franchises.  Leno got three years to get his crap together.  Conan got seven months, the last two weeks of which his ratings skyrocketed in part due to the scandal.  The times have changed, but that still seems unfair.

So I agree that it's mostly NBC's fault, but to say Leno is without blame is incorrect.

Yeah but essentially you're saying that Jay controls NBC... Jay didn't decide to give Conan the Tonight Show in 5 years... NBC did...
NBC came to Jay in 04 and said you have the show for 5 years then you get the boot...

They gave him the prime time deal and he took for whatever reason.. he says to keep his people working I think because he was thinking he was number one and hoped that would carry over.....

basically NBC (or as jay says the affiliates) wanted jay out of primetime- and back as a lead in for Conan- hence the 30 minute Jay show at 1130 and the hour long tonight show with conan at 12.  Conan said no so he got the boot instead... can't really blame Jay for that..

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/10 at 4:18 pm

Yeah but essentially you're saying that Jay controls NBC... Jay didn't decide to give Conan the Tonight Show in 5 years... NBC did...
NBC came to Jay in 04 and said you have the show for 5 years then you get the boot...

They gave him the prime time deal and he took for whatever reason.. he says to keep his people working I think because he was thinking he was number one and hoped that would carry over.....

basically NBC (or as jay says the affiliates) wanted jay out of primetime- and back as a lead in for Conan- hence the 30 minute Jay show at 1130 and the hour long tonight show with conan at 12.  Conan said no so he got the boot instead... can't really blame Jay for that..

That's right.  People, for some reason, think Jay was calling the shots.  They told him Conan was getting the slot, then allowed him to go gracefully by saying he was giving the seat up.  So Conan took the slot away from Jay, then he blew it.  So let's hear the booing for Conan for putting it to Jay and his people, then acting like a five year old who lost his ball and blamed it on the big bully, whiny a$$ little twerp.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/30/10 at 4:26 pm

That's right.  People, for some reason, think Jay was calling the shots.  They told him Conan was getting the slot, then allowed him to go gracefully by saying he was giving the seat up.  So Conan took the slot away from Jay, then he blew it.  So let's hear the booing for Conan for putting it to Jay and his people, then acting like a five year old who lost his ball and blamed it on the big bully, whiny a$$ little twerp.

Exactly

Written By: Jessica on 01/30/10 at 5:22 pm

I didn't read anywhere in Rice's response that Jay was fully to blame for it.  Partially, yes, because he should have opened his mouth and said something if he didn't want to retire.  He didn't, and he should have.  Now he comes out looking like a dillweed because NBC was greedy and wanted to keep both him and Conan.  However, I don't think it is fair that Jay can flap his lips about it on Oprah and Conan has to keep his trap shut for three months, and cannot appear on television until September.  If that were an ordinary job that someone was getting fired from and the person was told they couldn't work in their field or industry for seven months, all hell would break loose.

I love it when the Leno followers get all defensive and start calling Conan names.  Perhaps you should remember what you wrote a week ago:

It's not important!  Remember that!

Written By: snozberries on 01/30/10 at 6:52 pm

I didn't read anywhere in Rice's response that Jay was fully to blame for it.  Partially, yes, because he should have opened his mouth and said something if he didn't want to retire.  He didn't, and he should have.  Now he comes out looking like a dillweed because NBC was greedy and wanted to keep both him and Conan.  However, I don't think it is fair that Jay can flap his lips about it on Oprah and Conan has to keep his trap shut for three months, and cannot appear on television until September.  If that were an ordinary job that someone was getting fired from and the person was told they couldn't work in their field or industry for seven months, all hell would break loose.

I don't know Jess I guess I got it from the first paragraph

The reason we are not liking Leno at this point is because he basically said in 2004 that the Tonight Show would go to Conan in 2009.  Now he suddenly didn't mean it, information Conan could have used five years ago.

I know Rice had a line in between these two about NBC but these two lines make it sound like Leno had more control than he actually did.  

It doesn't seem to me like it was Leno's decision to leave after 5 years but something he was told to do... and I don't blame him for wanting the job back.

I actually think it was pretty humble to accept the initial offer to do his show in a 1/2 hour and agree to let Conan have the longer time slot and the Tonight show title.  

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/30/10 at 7:14 pm

I don't know Jess I guess I got it from the first paragraph

I know Rice had a line in between these two about NBC but these two lines make it sound like Leno had more control than he actually did. 

It doesn't seem to me like it was Leno's decision to leave after 5 years but something he was told to do... and I don't blame him for wanting the job back.

I actually think it was pretty humble to accept the initial offer to do his show in a 1/2 hour and agree to let Conan have the longer time slot and the Tonight show title. 

The basic scenario is that Leno's contract would have run out in 2009, and at that point he would have been almost 60.  Conan was doing very well at Late Night, and Leno of course was the leader at 11:35.  They wanted to appease both men.  The part where NBC said "Hey Leno, GTFO in 2009" was extremely unfair to Leno.  The part that was unfair to Conan was when Leno, as we know now, VERY INSINCERELY said "Hey Conan, the Tonight Show is yours".  To compound matters, as you probably know being a TV connoisseur ( ;) ) NBC's ratings have been tanking lately, something both Leno and Conan have been making fun of for months if not years. 

The advantage Leno had coming in after Carson was that Carson was the undisputed king of late night, AND NBC had some of the most watched shows on the planet, including Seinfeld, Wings, Mad About You, and starting in 1994, Friends.  Leno still sucked against Letterman, the man from whom he usurped the Tonight Show over Carson's protests, and who had to start a late night show on a completely new network.  Conan's only advantages were that Leno had built an audience, but as we know from this thread alone, the tastes are different between host audiences.  By the time Conan started his Tonight Show, the network was done with all its normal prime-time dramas and comedies or whatever, and was beginning summer reruns.  So he had a disadvantage in lead-in right there.  Couple that with the idiotic decision by NBC to preempt its 10 PM dramas (a formula that has worked since whenever it was ER began) with an hour-long Jay Leno show that most of the NBC affiliates were against and at least one station in Boston (BOSTON!  Where Leno is supposedly king!) flat out refused to show until NBC threatened to sue the crap out of them, and Conan was basically F'ed from the start. 

But again, Leno got three years before the Hugh Grant interview about the hooker to flounder before he started to overtake Letterman.  Conan gets 7 months?  Seriously?  And y'all think that's fair?

Re: Conan being so much more privileged than Jay and not playing in Boston night clubs...seriously?  He was the president of the Harvard Lampoon for a couple years, and graduated with honors.  Do you think you could graduate with honors from Harvard by moonlighting as a stand-up comedian?  Not to mention that he didn't stay in Boston afterwards...he moved to LA to start his career, then went to NY for SNL and Late Night.  The only allegiance he has with Boston is as a Red Sox and Celtics fan.  Apples to oranges there.

Jess already made the point about Oprah, so I'm done for the night.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/30/10 at 7:15 pm

By the way, I'm not advocating that everyone has to like Conan and hate Leno, I'm just recounting the events as I understood them. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/30/10 at 7:22 pm

Oh, and while I admit and agree that most of this is NBC's fault, the only way I'm blaming Jay (as I've said before) is that...dude, he's worth like a billion dollars.  He's had his time and it was successful.  He promised to step down and let Conan have a shot, but then agreed to that godawful variety show idea at 10 PM so that he could lurk in the wings for Conan to tank (which, as I've explained above, was inevitable given the circumstances), instead of saying, "You know what?  I have sh!tloads of money and I don't need the work, let's not do the show and give Conan a chance."  Or even after his show was basically causing an affiliate revolt and about to be canceled, he should have said, "Okay, my show sucks, cancel it and I'll go back to Mavis and my bajillion cars."

But we all know what happened, right? 

It's all Conan's fault, really...mmmhmmm.

Written By: snozberries on 01/30/10 at 7:28 pm

By the way, I'm not advocating that everyone has to like Conan and hate Leno, I'm just recounting the events as I understood them. 

I totally understand.... like I said before I don't really watch any of the late night guys. the only time I've ever tuned in was to watch a celeb I like and I had to really care to watch the interview....same went for Carson- probably the only late night talk show I watched religiously was Arsenio...and even that I only watched the first two years then lost interest.....

The basic scenario is that Leno's contract would have run out in 2009, and at that point he would have been almost 60.  Conan was doing very well at Late Night, and Leno of course was the leader at 11:35.  They wanted to appease both men.  The part where NBC said "Hey Leno, GTFO in 2009" was extremely unfair to Leno.  The part that was unfair to Conan was when Leno, as we know now, VERY INSINCERELY said "Hey Conan, the Tonight Show is yours".  To compound matters, as you probably know being a TV connoisseur ( ;) ) NBC's ratings have been tanking lately, something both Leno and Conan have been making fun of for months if not years. 

The advantage Leno had coming in after Carson was that Carson was the undisputed king of late night, AND NBC had some of the most watched shows on the planet, including Seinfeld, Wings, Mad About You, and starting in 1994, Friends.  Leno still sucked against Letterman, the man from whom he usurped the Tonight Show over Carson's protests, and who had to start a late night show on a completely new network.  Conan's only advantages were that Leno had built an audience, but as we know from this thread alone, the tastes are different between host audiences.  By the time Conan started his Tonight Show, the network was done with all its normal prime-time dramas and comedies or whatever, and was beginning summer reruns.  So he had a disadvantage in lead-in right there.  Couple that with the idiotic decision by NBC to preempt its 10 PM dramas (a formula that has worked since whenever it was ER began) with an hour-long Jay Leno show that most of the NBC affiliates were against and at least one station in Boston (BOSTON!  Where Leno is supposedly king!) flat out refused to show until NBC threatened to sue the crap out of them, and Conan was basically F'ed from the start. 

But again, Leno got three years before the Hugh Grant interview about the hooker to flounder before he started to overtake Letterman.  Conan gets 7 months?  Seriously?  And y'all think that's fair?

Re: Conan being so much more privileged than Jay and not playing in Boston night clubs...seriously?  He was the president of the Harvard Lampoon for a couple years, and graduated with honors.  Do you think you could graduate with honors from Harvard by moonlighting as a stand-up comedian?  Not to mention that he didn't stay in Boston afterwards...he moved to LA to start his career, then went to NY for SNL and Late Night.  The only allegiance he has with Boston is as a Red Sox and Celtics fan.  Apples to oranges there.

Jess already made the point about Oprah, so I'm done for the night.

The one thing about this whole thing that never set well with me was the loss of dramatic NBC programming at the 10 o'clock hour.
Seems Jay had some challenges to. Apparently the other networks wouldn't book their stars on his show because they didn't want him to get ratings against them. 

As for the 7 month; 3 year comparison I don't think that's fair because Jay was given a break back in a time when the competition for ratings was less fierce. Jay was only competing with Letterman (essentially) but now you're competing with about 150 more channels than ever before, online content, and DVRs. The networks (none of them) are as patient as they used to be. The climate now is to perform right out of the gate or get out. This happens in primetime even more often than in late night. The only reason you're noticing it now is because there haven't been that many shows to test the theory on...  look at all the shows that have failed in the last 16 years amid the handfull that have survived.

I don't really have a comment on the thing about their backgrounds because I've always been familiar with Leno as a stand up but know nothing else about his life--- and never heard of Conan until the talk show wars first began. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/30/10 at 7:35 pm

I will agree with your assessment of the ratings situation with the caveat that the NBC affiliates weren't unhappy with Conan, but they were extremely unhappy with Leno.  Strange how things work out eh.

Another issue is that Conan's target audience is more likely to watch his show on Hulu or on a DVR than live, which would affect ratings.

Good analysis though 8)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/10 at 9:11 pm

It's not important!  Remember that!

Yeah, but it is 10 degrees outside and there isn't much else to do today.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/11/10 at 2:55 pm

NBC just pulled a 1984 on Conan O'Brien.

For those wondering, if they sent back in time, to the 80's, no......  They did something else all together.

Literally erased all mention of him, on You Tube, Hulu, and other video related sites.

The homepage for the Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien, gone.

His face on the mural at NBC, gone are replaced by Jay Leno's.

http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2010/02/09/nbc-there-was-never-a-conan-obrien/

“Hosting The Tonight Show has been the fulfillment of a lifelong dream for me — and I just want to say to the kids out there watching: You can do anything you want in life. Unless Jay Leno wants to do it too.”  -  Conan O'Brien

Written By: danootaandme on 02/11/10 at 3:05 pm

Well, I guess we will find out in about 3 months how good he really is.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/11/10 at 4:38 pm

Missed the last episode?

Well, I watched, so you didn't have to.....

;D

Here are the highlights.....

- Jay had usual long monologue.

- A pre taped look at the last five moments.

- Jay interviewed Ashton Kutcher.

- Jay interviewed Gabourey Sidibe.

- Jay's final 10 At 10, with Bob Costas.

In other words, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Written By: nally on 02/11/10 at 11:21 pm

NBC just pulled a 1984 on Conan O'Brien.

For those wondering, if they sent back in time, to the 80's, no......  They did something else all together.

Literally erased all mention of him, on You Tube, Hulu, and other video related sites.

The homepage for the Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien, gone.

His face on the mural at NBC, gone are replaced by Jay Leno's.

http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2010/02/09/nbc-there-was-never-a-conan-obrien/

“Hosting The Tonight Show has been the fulfillment of a lifelong dream for me — and I just want to say to the kids out there watching: You can do anything you want in life. Unless Jay Leno wants to do it too.”  -  Conan O'Brien

Ouch! :(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/12/10 at 12:52 pm

Ouch! :(

I know.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/16/10 at 2:21 am

Im team CONAN all the way.... HE should have never left NEW YORK.... I mean it was his dream... Too bad it was on N.B.C.

As for Leno... dont get it with him, never have but I wont watch cause NBC is just wrong... Not just cause they messed with Conan, its that they bet the farm with LENO!!!  Hello!!! WTF??? but, the WORST thing they did was mess with my Law and Order SVU....  Thats a big NO NO in my book... It needs to be back at 10pm !!! Look at the shows they lost and cancelled for WHAT???????????????
LOL

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/16/10 at 2:57 pm

Im team CONAN all the way.... HE should have never left NEW YORK.... I mean it was his dream... Too bad it was on N.B.C.

As for Leno... dont get it with him, never have but I wont watch cause NBC is just wrong... Not just cause they messed with Conan, its that they bet the farm with LENO!!!  Hello!!! WTF??? but, the WORST thing they did was mess with my Law and Order SVU....  Thats a big NO NO in my book... It needs to be back at 10pm !!! Look at the shows they lost and cancelled for WHAT???????????????
LOL

I agree!  NBC messed up, big time, and only have themselves to blame, especially with the way they handled everything.

Written By: nally on 02/16/10 at 5:03 pm

I agree!  NBC messed up, big time, and only have themselves to blame, especially with the way they handled everything.

agree with you there.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/24/10 at 2:10 pm

Gotta love this!

;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJJ6o4eYynU&feature=player_embedded

Written By: danootaandme on 02/24/10 at 2:16 pm

Gotta love this!

;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJJ6o4eYynU&feature=player_embedded

;D ;D

Written By: nally on 02/25/10 at 11:34 am

Now I hear on the news Conan is not permitted to host anything on public television again until at least September. In the meanwhile, he has a "Twitter" account.

Although Conan will no longer host any shows on the network and is prohibited from any hosting duties until September, as per the settlement his production company will operate at NBC Universal through the end of the development season.

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1630561/20100127/story.jhtml

Written By: danootaandme on 02/25/10 at 9:10 pm

Now I hear on the news Conan is not permitted to host anything on public television again until at least September. In the meanwhile, he has a "Twitter" account.
Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1630561/20100127/story.jhtml

Yes, it was part of his 30,000,000 dollar deal. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/10 at 7:57 pm

"Jay is a lap dog."

I'm with Howard Stern on this one.  I'm not a Howard fan, but  If there's one person I like LESS than Howard Stern, it's Jay Leno!!!
8-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUjdiv3TM5E

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/11/10 at 4:13 pm

Good news!  Conan's gonna be on tour!

Bad news, tickets for the Toronto show are sold out!

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/theatre/story/2010/03/11/conan-obrien-tour.html

Darn you Ticketmaster!

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/20/10 at 9:40 pm

Apparently, from all counts, the tour rocks!

There were also guests that included Dave Matthews and Eddie Vedder, during Conan's tour across North America.

Meanwhile, Jay continues to put people to sleep, literally!

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/20/10 at 9:42 pm

Also, Jack McBrayer and Seth Rogen, were guests during the tour as well.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/24/10 at 11:28 am

He should dovetail a promotion with an ad for the Cheeseburger Doritos!

"Go ahead, munch all you want, and watch me at 11:30 if you're not stuck on the hopper!"
8-P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/24/10 at 3:52 pm

He should dovetail a promotion with an ad for the Cheeseburger Doritos!

"Go ahead, munch all you want, and watch me at 11:30 if you're not stuck on the hopper!"
8-P

The new show's ratings apparently are taking a nose dive!

Written By: Howard on 04/24/10 at 6:46 pm

Why is that?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/25/10 at 5:48 am

Actually they have held steady, not going up but not going down, since the nosedive the Tonight Show took during the Conan days.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/25/10 at 5:07 pm

Why is that?

Good question, I think it something to do with people flocking over to watch Dave Letterman.

Me, I am a Jimmy Kimmel fan now.

But Conan will always rock!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/25/10 at 5:12 pm

During Conan's tour in L.A. and San Francisco, he  apparently had some awesome quests!

Including:

Aziz Ansari, Jonah Hill, Jack MacBrayer, Jim Carrey, Jon Hamm, David Spade, Nick Offerman, Chris Issak, and Megan Mulally.

And the tour is not over yet!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/16/10 at 6:06 am

Yesterday I was watching BBC America and I saw Top Gear for the first time, and I absolutely loved it. They were showing some of the past guests and one of them was Jay Leno, and I thought that instead of going back to the Tonight Show he should have just bowed out gracefully and instead helped to develop and star in an American version of Top Gear. He's arguably the most famous auto enthusiast in America and he would have been perfect for that.

Oh, what could have been.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/10 at 11:22 am

I would rather watch Stephen Colbert at 11:30 than Jay Leno's smarmy gig.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/27/10 at 7:09 pm

Good news Canada, Conan will be airing on TV over here, after all!

:D

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100527/100527_conan_show/20100527/?hub=CP24Entertainment

Now I can successfully begin my remote control boycott, of the big chin!

:D

;D

Written By: danootaandme on 05/28/10 at 9:14 am

The only one that makes me laugh is Jimmy Fallon

Check for new replies or respond here...