inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Destruction Of Haiti

Written By: Jessica on 01/13/10 at 2:42 pm

So let's forget reality sh*t shows, crappy movies, and the latest decadeology crap and focus, for just a minute, on how Haiti was flattened by a 7.0 earthquake.

Hundreds of Thousands Feared Dead in Haitian Earthquake

If you feel like giving aid, check out the American Red Cross site.  CNN also lists some other sites that need things or money.

I'm not even going to touch on the nasty assed comments left on that story, because now is not the time for that snarky crap.  People are suffering, and are most likely shell-shocked by what just happened.  God knows I wasn't right for days after the Loma Prieta quake, and we didn't even have half as much destruction as Port-au-Prince!

So yeah.  Discuss.  Give money if you can.  Apparently there is also a program in place that will give $10 to the relief effort if you text "Haiti" to 90999.  This texting info is coming directly from the Red Cross site.

Subject: Re: The Destruction Of Haiti

Written By: Dagwood on 01/13/10 at 3:28 pm

My prayers are definitely with them.  So scary. 

Written By: nally on 01/13/10 at 3:33 pm

My prayers are definitely with them.  So scary. 

Same here. I saw the footage of it on the news this morning and it looked so terrible. :o :\'(

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/13/10 at 3:50 pm

I have many people who went to Haiti and I hope they go to the country as soon as possible. :\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 01/13/10 at 5:00 pm

:\'(

Hope you all in Haiti make it through some how!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/13/10 at 6:00 pm

Did you guys see Pat Robertson's response to it.  The asshole said it was because they made a pact with the devil.  Anyway, I've donated to the Red Cross.  I thought it was great that China sent specialized rescue workers to help out.  I too pray for all of Haiti and those who are down their helping.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/10 at 6:29 pm

These people are the poorest in the western hemisphere.  They have had, what was it, 4 hurricanes last year that devastated them, now this.  This is just sad. 

Written By: Jessica on 01/13/10 at 8:10 pm

Ooops.  If you text, it will be charged to your cell phone bill.  I read the press release wrong.  Sorry about that.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/13/10 at 8:21 pm

Ooops.  If you text, it will be charged to your cell phone bill.  I read the press release wrong.  Sorry about that.

Am I the only one who writes out checks anymore?

Written By: joeman on 01/13/10 at 8:26 pm

I will be praying for the population of Haiti tonight.

Written By: karen on 01/13/10 at 8:34 pm

Am I the only one who writes out checks anymore?

I pay all my bills using cheques

Written By: nally on 01/13/10 at 10:57 pm

I will be praying for the population of Haiti tonight.

As will I.

I pay all my bills using cheques

me too; it's convenient for me. I just write out the check, stick it in the envelope with the payable portion of my bill, and off it goes...

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/14/10 at 12:07 pm

My prayers all the Haitian residents and hope to make it alive! If I had a job, I would donate to Haiti as well.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/14/10 at 2:24 pm

Did you guys see Pat Robertson's response to it.  The asshole said it was because they made a pact with the devil.

No and now I've lost all respect for him!

Once February hits, I'm going to go across the street where I work at and donate blood for the Haitians.

Written By: nally on 01/14/10 at 3:10 pm

According to the news this morning, the actual death toll has remained uncertain, but three of them have been listed as Americans. My thoughts go out to their families.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/10 at 5:11 pm

CNN is on right now talking about it. I have to tune it out because it is so heart wrenching. My thoughts go out to all of those in my neighbors about 900 miles from where I am right now.

Cat

Written By: Red Ant on 01/14/10 at 5:22 pm

Terrible disaster. I donated a dollar at Wawa for the Red Cross, will do that as much as I can. Being in hurricane alley and on a fault line - damn that's bad. I really hope they build quality and not speed, because if Haiti is slapped back together, it will be destroyed again. Hurricane and seismic rated buildings cost $$$, but that's what they need to do.

Ant

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/10 at 7:08 pm

Did you guys see Pat Robertson's response to it.  The asshole said it was because they made a pact with the devil. 

Well, Pat would certainly be an expert on dealing with the Devil.

Ten years ago, he and a former coworker of mine were doing deals with Charles Taylor in Liberia. 

Yeah, THAT Charles Taylor, the one who has a war crimes trial going on.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/16/10 at 8:51 pm

By the way... I read an article today that Wyclef Jean's "charity" has a penchant for spending big $ buying goods and services from companies that Jean owns, and that it is less-than-forthcoming with financial reporting.

If you are going to donate for aiding Haiti, you may want to do some research to make sure your generous gift goes to a reputable charity that will indeed funnel the money to those in desperate need. 

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/16/10 at 10:32 pm

Did you guys see Pat Robertson's response to it.  The asshole said it was because they made a pact with the devil.

To drive the French off their island. I did hear that on FOX, pretty sure Bill O'Reilly labeled him a 'pinhead', well deserved!
And anyone can tell you what Jay Leno said, "You don't need a pact with the devil to defeat the French! "

Meanwhile, pray for the people of Haiti, as well as Presidents Clinton and Bush, who are now in charge of raising relief money.
And if you don't live in Haiti or know anyone who does, Give Thanks.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/17/10 at 6:25 am

By the way... I read an article today that Wyclef Jean's "charity" has a penchant for spending big $ buying goods and services from companies that Jean owns, and that it is less-than-forthcoming with financial reporting.

If you are going to donate for aiding Haiti, you may want to do some research to make sure your generous gift goes to a reputable charity that will indeed funnel the money to those in desperate need. 

Doctors Without Borders.

http://doctorswithoutborders.org/

I worked in the State Department of Public Charities.  I saw what "charities" do.  This is probably one of the most reputable.  Right now their website is having a problem taking donations because so many people are keying in. No need to hurry, they will be in this place for quite a while.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/10 at 1:22 pm

Doctors Without Borders.

I worked in the State Department of Public Charities.  I saw what "charities" do.  This is probably one of the most reputable.  Right now their website is having a problem taking donations because so many people are keying in. No need to hurry, they will be in this place for quite a while.

That is why I am always leery about giving. It was during the tsunami that I gave to Mercy Corp because after doing a lot of research, they seemed very reputable. But then I kept receiving so much stuff from them asking me to give more & more & more.

Usually my annual giving is to Heifer International. I haven't given yet but maybe I will give to Doctors Without Borders instead (or too).

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 01/17/10 at 2:57 pm

Doctors Without Borders.

How's the Red Cross?  I was thinking of donating to them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/10 at 3:19 pm

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1004

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/17/10 at 4:41 pm

I wouldn't give those ****sucke*** a dime.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/17/10 at 4:49 pm

I wouldn't give those ****sucke*** a dime.

I think I posted this before.

Back in 1919 there was a big flu epidemic and my Grandmother was taking care of a few people who had it.  She did not have the flu, however.

Two Red Cross people, whose job it was to check in on families to see if they needed any flu help, came to her door, and my Grandmother let them know that she was caring for several flu patients.

The Red Cross personnel immediately hightailed it.  Didn't do squat for grandma, and she did not forget it either.  Mind you she was a very generous woman, but would not consider giving thru the Red Cross.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/10 at 5:10 pm

I am debating between Doctors Without Borders and/or UNICEF.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 01/17/10 at 5:32 pm

Okay, I'm glad I haven't donated yet, because it was going to be to the Red Cross!

LB, I remember you telling that story before.  Ugh.

Cat, thanks for the link.

Danoota, so tell me how you REALLY feel about the Red Cross. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/10 at 8:26 am

Another earthquake. This time it is 6.1 rather than the 7.0 of last week but still-bad enough for a place that was devastated a week ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100120/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cb_haiti_earthquake

Can't these people get a break? I was watching on the news last night that some people were being pulled out alive after a week but with this latest, I don't know if it is possible to find anyone alive from the first quake.

My heart goes out to then entire country.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/10 at 10:31 am

Another earthquake. This time it is 6.1 rather than the 7.0 of last week but still-bad enough for a place that was devastated a week ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100120/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cb_haiti_earthquake

Can't these people get a break? I was watching on the news last night that some people were being pulled out alive after a week but with this latest, I don't know if it is possible to find anyone alive from the first quake.

My heart goes out to then entire country.

Cat

Oh My God, stop killing these people! It's just too much!  :-\\

A 7.0, and now a 6.1!

I cried for the first time about something in the news because of this incident. Haiti is special to me because I never cried for anything on the news ever!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/10 at 11:00 am

Overheard at coffee shop

"That's what's wrong with this country.  Always going to help other countries when we should stay right here and help our own"

then an indignant reply

"You're a 50 year old firefighter on a fake disability drinking coffee and doing nothing and I'm sick of listening to you."  Old lady gets up and leaves.

chuckles and applause 

;D ;D ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/10 at 11:50 am

Overheard at coffee shop

"That's what's wrong with this country.  Always going to help other countries when we should stay right here and help our own"

then an indignant reply

"You're a 50 year old firefighter on a fake disability drinking coffee and doing nothing and I'm sick of listening to you."  Old lady gets up and leaves.

chuckles and applause 

;D ;D ;D

Good for her.

Some of this pisses me off:

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2010/01/19/should-u-s-let-haitians-in-as-refugees/

I am amazed at how heartless some people are.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 01/20/10 at 1:05 pm

I think people like that need to grow up.  I think if we have the ability to help then we should.  How awful would we be if we just sat back and watched.  Coming from a Christian standpoint, I think God wants us to help others.  If we have the ability to help then we should help.  We should love our fellow man and sitting back and watching without help is not showing love.

Written By: Jessica on 01/20/10 at 1:44 pm

Oh My God, stop killing these people! It's just too much!  :-\\

A 7.0, and now a 6.1!

I cried for the first time about something in the news because of this incident. Haiti is special to me because I never cried for anything on the news ever!

This is pretty much normal for a tremendous quake.  They'll be experiencing them for awhile unfortunately, maybe not at this magnitude, but 4.0 or smaller.  That will still cause massive devastation though, because everything is already unstable. :-\\

Overheard at coffee shop

then an indignant reply

chuckles and applause 

;D ;D ;D

YES.  I love that old lady and I don't even know who she is.

Good for her.

Some of this pisses me off:

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2010/01/19/should-u-s-let-haitians-in-as-refugees/

I am amazed at how heartless some people are.

Cat

Wow, people suck.

I think people like that need to grow up.  I think if we have the ability to help then we should.  How awful would we be if we just sat back and watched.  Coming from a Christian standpoint, I think God wants us to help others.  If we have the ability to help then we should help.  We should love our fellow man and sitting back and watching without help is not showing love.

Amen to that. ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/20/10 at 3:59 pm

Wow, people suck.

Tell me about it.  Here in Picksburgh we have had an amazing story of two local women who refused to leave Haiti until every one of the orphans they were tending to were safely evacuated.  A total of 161 kids were evacuated.  the last 53 came to Picksburgh with the heroic women.  :)

Their mission was accomplished and the various players (politicians, etc) were very good about NOT grandstanding.  8) Their common job was to get every kid out safely and that they did.  Even the company (a major airline) that donated the airplane, fuel, and flight crew did so quietly and very low key.  No grandstanding, and for the first 24 hours they were kept a secret until the media figured out who paid.

THEN... some A-hole who is an acquaintance of mine gets himself on TV and starts claiming credit for all sorts of stuff.  I swear, this bozo would take credit for the earthquake itself if he thought he could get away with it.  A complete disgrace of a person.  The REAL heroes were the two young women who stood their ground, and the various government officials who pulled strings and stretched rules to get the rescue done.

But the guy on TV trying to take all the glory... HE SUCKS.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/20/10 at 4:17 pm

Good for those ladies.  It is nice to see people put others ahead of themselves. 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/21/10 at 6:10 am

I feel very, very badly for the family of Britney Gengel, but someone has to pull her father aside and tell him that he has to start dealing with the facts.  He is blaming everyone, from the Prez to the people digging with sticks, for not finding his daughter, as if everyone should stop and find her first, before attending to the hundreds of thousands of others, living and dead, who are in need.

Written By: karen on 01/21/10 at 7:45 am

I feel very, very badly for the family of Britney Gengel, but someone has to pull her father aside and tell him that he has to start dealing with the facts.  He is blaming everyone, from the Prez to the people digging with sticks, for not finding his daughter, as if everyone should stop and find her first, before attending to the hundreds of thousands of others, living and dead, who are in need.

Is that one of the six or so students and teachers?

At the weekend the news show on tv in the hotel breakfast room had an interview with some families.  One of the dads was banging on about how these were citizens of the USA and someone should be rescuing them and it was Obama's fault that nothing was being done  ::)  Sounds like the same guy.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/21/10 at 7:50 am

I hadn't heard this story.  I feel for him, but you can't blame the President or the searchers for people being missing.  His daughter isn't the only one missing.  The whole situation is sad.

Written By: Jessica on 01/21/10 at 7:58 am

Tell me about it.  Here in Picksburgh we have had an amazing story of two local women who refused to leave Haiti until every one of the orphans they were tending to were safely evacuated.  A total of 161 kids were evacuated.  the last 53 came to Picksburgh with the heroic women.   :)

Their mission was accomplished and the various players (politicians, etc) were very good about NOT grandstanding.  8) Their common job was to get every kid out safely and that they did.  Even the company (a major airline) that donated the airplane, fuel, and flight crew did so quietly and very low key.  No grandstanding, and for the first 24 hours they were kept a secret until the media figured out who paid.

THEN... some A-hole who is an acquaintance of mine gets himself on TV and starts claiming credit for all sorts of stuff.  I swear, this bozo would take credit for the earthquake itself if he thought he could get away with it.  A complete disgrace of a person.  The REAL heroes were the two young women who stood their ground, and the various government officials who pulled strings and stretched rules to get the rescue done.

But the guy on TV trying to take all the glory... HE SUCKS.

I wouldn't claim his as an acquaintance.  What a prick.

It is stunning how a tragedy brings out the asshole in people.  Ultimately, you have to try and look past these dipshyts and see the good that people are trying to accomplish.

It's hard to do though when the dumbasses are always up in the media spotlight. :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 01/21/10 at 9:19 am

Is that one of the six or so students and teachers?

At the weekend the news show on tv in the hotel breakfast room had an interview with some families.  One of the dads was banging on about how these were citizens of the USA and someone should be rescuing them and it was Obama's fault that nothing was being done  ::)  Sounds like the same guy.

Yes, that's him.  His daughter was there with a college group.  Her roommate was saved because she wasn't in the hotel, but stated that his daughter was in the hotel either taking a shower of taking a nap.  The hotel was pretty much obliterated. 

Written By: karen on 01/21/10 at 10:49 am

All the elementary schools in town are collecting money to send to Save The Children.

Elizabeth thinks her school is collecting toiletries etc to send.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/10 at 1:39 pm

You can't help but feel for the guy but... Carlos is upset with CNN for constantly showing that guy.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/21/10 at 2:00 pm

You can't help but feel for the guy but... Carlos is upset with CNN for constantly showing that guy.

Cat

While I sympathize with that guy's situation, I have no desire to have the forces in Haiti to drop everything and go looking for her.

What really smokes my a$$ are US citizens who travel overseas, and then when trouble strikes think that the United States Government is somehow obligated to extricate them from whatever happened to them.

Hey, if the US forces in Haiti happen to find her, great.  But there are far too many other people in need over there to be concentrating scarce resources looking just for her.

Her plight is not Obama's fault, and her extrication is not his duty.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/10 at 2:08 pm

While I sympathize with that guy's situation, I have no desire to have the forces in Haiti to drop everything and go looking for her.

What really smokes my a$$ are US citizens who travel overseas, and then when trouble strikes think that the United States Government is somehow obligated to extricate them from whatever happened to them.

Hey, if the US forces in Haiti happen to find her, great.  But there are far too many other people in need over there to be concentrating scarce resources looking just for her.

I agree with you.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/21/10 at 2:21 pm

Hey, if the US forces in Haiti happen to find her, great.  But there are far too many other people in need over there to be concentrating scarce resources looking just for her.

Agreed.

Why is her life more important that anyone elses?  I'm not trying to be cold towards her, but really, why?  Because she's American?  That's ridiculous.  

I just wish there was more we could do for everyone over there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/10 at 3:01 pm

Cancel all of Haiti's debts and start helping rebuild that country with grants.  If the IMF starts in with more loans on top of loans Haiti will never be able to pay back, that country will cease to exist as a nation state.

Written By: nally on 01/23/10 at 12:15 am

I just wish there was more we could do for everyone over there.

yeah.. exactly as I think as I see the news each day.

I watched a little bit of the charity concert tonight on tv.

Check for new replies or respond here...