inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will music be good again?

Written By: virtual_cowboy on 01/20/10 at 7:25 am

I detest late 00s music like 2005-2010. I mean it is too synth pop or something.
I'd rather listen to Cry Me A River or Intuition by Jewel than those dumb songs they play today.
When will synth pop and auto tune go away? People say these songs are 80s influenced. However, I prefer the true 80s songs.
Yeah, Poker face is overrated IMO.
Current music can't hold a candle to 80s music. And there is no real R&B now.
In 2001-2004 pop music was influenced by R&B, but now even R&B artists do synth pop/dance.
I need real R&B-influenced pop music.
I am only 21 but fed up with music. When will music be good again in your opinion?

Subject: Re: When will music be good again?

Written By: Kyle 230 on 01/20/10 at 4:14 pm

We are in the 21st Century and if you don't really like the current sounds of the 21st Century, you can shove it.  The stuff you have been hearing was been leftovers from the 20th century.  By about 2007 or 2008, music is starting to sound 21st Century ish which means we willl have more futuristic effects to music. This autotune and electropop will probably evolve into more exotic music that sounds like it is off a sci-fi album, or we might get some real talent than having this beat orientated stuff.

Dance/electronica is the sound of the future.  You just had a break from it since 2001-2002 when we want one last nostalgia era of the 20th century before you transition into the new millennium.

Written By: Kyle230 on 01/20/10 at 4:16 pm

Rock is getting the dance effect.  Listen to Forever The Sickest Kids.  R&B is lacking the soul, but there is some new soulful songs this year, if you get into some of the Neo-Soul or listen to somebody like Musiq Souldchild or R. Kelly.  Whatcha say is I don't even know what it is...they claim the song R&B but maybe it is some futuristic sounding mess.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/20/10 at 4:35 pm

There's some decent R&B that still exists still like Melanie Fiona and Maxwell though tbh it's hard to find. Trey Songz is popular, though I don't like that guy much, "Can't Help But Wait" was good couple years ago but his new songs are crap. Jason DeRulo, Jay Sean, Iyaz is not R&B, those are more in the pop segment. Sadly the chances of mainstream music actually being really good again seem to be slim and none. Lady GaGa made 09 pretty interesting but her acts getting tired, and now that Ke$ha girl she's pretty terrible.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/20/10 at 6:03 pm

I agree, Ke$ha has only released one song so far, and she's becoming overrated.

::)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/10 at 6:38 pm

Sadly the chances of mainstream music actually being really good again seem to be slim and none.

The sad fact is that I agree with you.  ::)

Written By: virtual_cowboy on 01/20/10 at 7:27 pm

The stuff you have been hearing was been leftovers from the 20th century.

I think that by 2002 the 90s were finally over. I'm not sure if it was because of the 9/11 that made peope more aware and mature or they just got fed up with pathetic music like teen pop and boy bands. I was never into teen pop to begin with, I liked only a song or two but I ignored Britney Spears and Christina.
If you compare Justin Timberlake's songs from 2002-2004 with the ones he used to have during the NSYNC days - you'll find almost no similarity. The 2003 Britney, Christina and Justin were WORLDS apart and made far better music than they used in the 90s. The best thing about the early 00s was the teen pop demise - I didn't really liked it. I didn't listen to Brit's 98-00 stuff when it was new. However, I liked most of the post-2001 pop music.

In 2006-2009 I was starting getting nostalgic about the 90s so I was thinking that late 90s popular music was far more superior to the early 00s one. And guess what? Recently, I changed my mind. Now that the 00s are over, I can see things clearly - most of the late 90s music sucked. It was a lot worse than music from the early 00s. (except for 2000 maybe, it was still pretty 90s-like). I think that I probably didn't realize how good the early to mid 00s music was because I was too busy idolizing the late 90s and in 2005-9, 2002-4 were still too close to be nostalgic about.

You are wrong comparing the 01-04 music to the end of the 20th century / late 90s. Teen pop was over by 2002. It was an extremely good time actually - the *beep* teen pop fad was over and the emo thing still wasn't really that popular. Oh, and auto tune actually sounded good back then (e.g. Daft Punk) and wasn't overused like it is now. Now everyone is doing it. 99 out of 100 of the songs now sound alike. It's like the same song played over and over again. It's boring.

I am going to completely ignore music from 05-10. I am just 21, but I am fed up with music. In the meantime I will focus on TV and movies - now that's what I like about the late 00s and 2010 - there are still a lot of good movies, TV shows and even cartoons (Kid vs. Kat is so cool).

Written By: 435wtr on 01/20/10 at 11:14 pm

I detest late 00s music like 2005-2010. I mean it is too synth pop or something.
I'd rather listen to Cry Me A River or Intuition by Jewel than those dumb songs they play today.
When will synth pop and auto tune go away? People say these songs are 80s influenced. However, I prefer the true 80s songs.
Yeah, Poker face is overrated IMO.
Current music can't hold a candle to 80s music. And there is no real R&B now.
In 2001-2004 pop music was influenced by R&B, but now even R&B artists do synth pop/dance.
I need real R&B-influenced pop music.
I am only 21 but fed up with music. When will music be good again in your opinion?
I'm 19 and I honestly wonder the same thing, It seems like a lot of people are just accepting garbage, this synth-pop mess is irritating, but don't worry, it WILL die out sooner or later. It takes people like you who are complaining to eventually get the labels to change up the sound, it will happen eventually.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/21/10 at 12:46 am

When will music be good again?

When you stop listening to mainstream crap and start listening to some real stuff. It's not hard to find good music that you'd like if you've got the internet (which I'm guessing you have) and a reasonable internet connection (which is quite affordable these days).

last.fm - get an account and type in a few bands you like. check out similar artists, listen to the built in radio feature.
pandora - US only unfortunately.
GrooveShark
Don't forget youtube for music videos.

radioparadise.com
City of Glass
Pig Radio

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/10 at 9:19 am

When you stop listening to mainstream crap and start listening to some real stuff. It's not hard to find good music that you'd like if you've got the internet (which I'm guessing you have) and a reasonable internet connection (which is quite affordable these days).

last.fm - get an account and type in a few bands you like. check out similar artists, listen to the built in radio feature.
pandora - US only unfortunately.
GrooveShark
Don't forget youtube for music videos.

radioparadise.com
City of Glass
Pig Radio

I was just gonna suggest that same thing.  If you only listen to what you hear on the radio, then music will never be good again.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/21/10 at 10:55 am

When you stop listening to mainstream crap and start listening to some real stuff.

The fact that people, even young people, don't like today's music is very hopeful! Why? Because it means that young people, or people in general, aren't dumb (Thank God!) and they know good music when they hear it even though they don't know the technicalities about music.

Oh, and 1 karamel for preaching!

Written By: virtual_cowboy on 01/21/10 at 11:33 am

What if I'm starting going almost blind after years of everyday computer use? Seriously, If I continue using a PC that much I will go blind.
Besides most of the vids I want to watch are copyright restricted.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/21/10 at 12:48 pm

27 and I feel that music sucked in the 00's.

I Kissed A Girl? Come on.... 8-P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/21/10 at 2:40 pm

Don't like today's music?

Learn to play an instrument and make your own then!  ::) ::) ::)

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/10 at 5:08 pm

What if I'm starting going almost blind after years of everyday computer use?

Then you need to adjust the brightness on your monitor.

Written By: Jessica on 01/21/10 at 5:23 pm

What if I'm starting going almost blind after years of everyday computer use? Seriously, If I continue using a PC that much I will go blind.
Besides most of the vids I want to watch are copyright restricted.

Then I suggest you find a life outside the internet.  Voila!  Instant cure!

Written By: tv on 01/21/10 at 6:00 pm

Why do a 19 and 27 year on this thread not like today's music? Because today's music target audience is ages 13-16 I think. I remember in the 90's like 1996 the target audience was like ages 14-35 maybe.

Written By: sonikuu on 01/22/10 at 1:59 am

I'm going to rant on for a bit about this ,as this is something I feel strongly about.  Personally, I feel that 00s music is not as bad as people make it out to be.  It's in people's nature to find the bad in current events (or recent events, in the case of the 00s).  Those prone to nostalgia in particular will be apt to complain about the nature of the present and how it's not as good as it was before.  Case in point: I have a large number of old video game magazines from the 90s.  In those magazines, there are some letters from people bashing the state of the games industry in the SNES/Genesis era, an era that many gamers look very fondly on these days with great nostalgia.  Back then, people complained about too many fighting games.  Now they complain about too many shooting games.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The same applies to other genres, such as music, movies, tv, etc.  We generalize things, emphasizing the bad over the good because we like to complain.  For example, the topic creator likes the early 00s music scene, 2001-2004.  I recall people complaining in 2003 and 2004 about how music was going downhill with the likes of Crunk, Nu Metal, Pop-Punk, etc. all of which got an enormous amount of hate from certain segments of the population.  People wanted Hip-Hop to decline in popularity.  While still popular, it is now replaced by Dance-Pop as the #1 music style ,which now is apparently getting hate as well.  People are never satisfied.  If they were, the music scene would never change.  The simple fact is that every era has it's bad music trends that we hate.  Look, for example, at the joke that was the late 80s Hair Metal scene.  A bunch of bands who wrote copycat power ballads and couldn't make an album without half the songs being filler. 

Now, the 00s had it's fair share of terrible music.  Lil' Jon, Soulja Boy, T-Pain, etc.  It also had it's fair share of greats though.  The Garage Rock Revival of the first half of the 00s gave us some great masterpiece albums by The White Stripes, The Strokes, etc.  Indie Rock flourished this decade and Progressive Rock had it's fair share of greats (Muse, Mars Volta, etc.) while, at the same time, Radiohead broke boundaries with their albums.  If you knew where to look, the 00s Rock scene contained an extraordinary amount of variety.  In the Hip-Hop scene, we saw great albums from Jay-Z, Outkast, and not-as-popular but still great rappers like Lupe Fiasco and Common, who are underground favorites.  Pop and dance didn't do so hot in the US for most of the decade, but overseas, Europe put out a humongous number of great dance songs and pop music exploded in Japan and South Korea (Korean Pop in particular is now just as popular as American music in many Asian countries).  Even then, not all of the Top 40 stuff in the US in the second half of the 00s (and the first half as well) was bad.  Some of it may be guilty pleasures ("SexyBack" is a big guilty pleasure of mine), but it wasn't all bad.

To wrap up this long rant (hopefully I didn't scare anyone away with it's length!), look for the good in the current music scene.  It may take some digging, but you will find it. 

Written By: 90steen on 01/22/10 at 11:25 pm

I think the music improved vastly in 2009, but I started to lose interest in the popular top 100 music in 2003.

Written By: mojojojo on 01/23/10 at 12:11 pm

Who knows when music will be good again but at leat it'll change. I think the latest wave of autounes/glam rap has definetly peaked, it'll probably have gone the way of the dodo by mid decade. I agree with others who've said Hip-Hop might go more underground, definetly more mature and less glamorous than the 00's. Rock I'm not sure about.I think the hipster/Indie thing wont last much longer if only because it's become so pretentious and holier than thou. I think 2010's rock will be a complete rebellion of the 00's which was very polished and just had a snotty "oh you've never heard of us" attitude. With the internet it'lll  be harder to find good bands but they'll come about. Studio rock probably won't be big, most of the greats will probably be kids playing in their garages in the beginning. Rock definely needs to develop a new sound, the 90's alternative things has gotten pretty stale and a lot of the classic bands won't be around much longer. I'm hopeful for things to change, after this decade we really can only go up.

Written By: midnite on 01/26/10 at 10:12 am

As people have mentioned in other threads, I think their is good music out there (just not in American Mainstream pop).  You just have to look for it - on the internet or wherever.  Alot of which, is OUTSIDE OF THE USA!!  I've recently found some cool Austrailian and Swedish bands, which seem to have various rock and synthpop elements.  Of course England seems to always have great bands and DJs as well.

Will American mainstream pop music ever be good again?  I don't know.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 01/30/10 at 6:08 pm

I have an account with Last.fm and it is amazing! It has a ridiculous amount of music from all genres and you can even customise what you want to listen to with a simple 'Love it' button. I heartily recommend it.

I have just listened to a Glee Cast's cover of Journey's 'Don't stop believin'' and...well...I wasn't too thrilled to be honest. The brooding vocals were no where to be heard and the lovely guitar riff was vocalised. The only saving grace was Journey's version hit the top 10 as well for the first time ever in the UK.

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/10 at 6:33 pm

http://www.crystalinks.com/outsidebox.jpg

:D

Written By: Bobby on 01/30/10 at 6:35 pm

:D

Ha ha! Oops! I'll sort that out.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 01/30/10 at 6:36 pm

I have an account with Last.fm and it is amazing! It has a ridiculous amount of music from all genres and you can even customise what you want to listen to with a simple 'Love it' button. I heartily recommend it.

I have just listened to a Glee Cast's cover of Journey's 'Don't stop believin'' and...well...I wasn't too thrilled to be honest. The brooding vocals were no where to be heard and the lovely guitar riff was vocalised. The only saving grace was Journey's version hit the top 10 as well for the first time ever in the UK.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 8:31 pm

was gonna start a topic like this but since this already exists!!!

I don't know, there's a few good signs in the underground, but it seems like music continues to be god-awful with no end in sight Who knows

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/11 at 8:47 pm

was gonna start a topic like this but since this already exists!!!

I don't know, there's a few good signs in the underground, but it seems like music continues to be god-awful with no end in sight Who knows

You're not the only one that isn't pleased with the current state of popular music. I think that music today is targeted to the age group of 9 to 16 and that's why a lot of people aren't into it. Music companies think kids ages 9 to 16 are gullible so that's why they target them like crazy. You see? It's all about the $$$$$!

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 8:48 pm

You're not the only one that isn't pleased with the current state of popular music. I think that music today is targeted to the age group of 9 to 16 and that's why a lot of people aren't into it. Music companies think kids ages 9 to 16 are gullible so that's why they target them like crazy. You see? It's all about the $$$$$!

of course. i thought ghetto music was bad, but kesha is just as bad.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/11 at 8:50 pm

of course. i thought ghetto music was bad, but kesha is just as bad.

To be honest, there are times where I think that the era of good mainstream is over....for good. Those who grew up to 90s music got the last straw.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/11 at 7:02 am

To be honest, there are times where I think that the era of good mainstream is over....for good. Those who grew up to 90s music got the last straw.

music now is just awful,hear it everyday and it makes me want to play my jamminoldies on my winamp.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/11 at 7:03 am

My parents don't even like the state of music today.

Written By: Shiv on 04/06/11 at 10:12 am

I'm 19 I think most of today's mainstream music is quite crappy. It's not as bad as it was in say 2007 ("THIS IS WHY IM HOT") but the sterile, autotuned, studio trickery needs to go out the window once and for all. I'm not saying electronic music has to go out...I mean come on its 2011, its not like people are gonna ditch the synths for trombones or something...but this "style over substance" thing needs to end. Talent needs to be the main focus again.

I really hope all the hate "Friday" by Rebecca Black is getting will help to kill the 2000s sound. I really think people are getting tired of it. If teens and 20somethings are dissatisfied with today's mainstream music, something is wrong.

So that being said, I think mainstream music will improve sooner than later and the 2000s-early 2010s music scene will become an embarrassment.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/11 at 11:55 am

I'm 19 I think most of today's mainstream music is quite crappy. It's not as bad as it was in say 2007 ("THIS IS WHY IM HOT") but the sterile, autotuned, studio trickery needs to go out the window once and for all. I'm not saying electronic music has to go out...I mean come on its 2011, its not like people are gonna ditch the synths for trombones or something...but this "style over substance" thing needs to end. Talent needs to be the main focus again.

I really hope all the hate "Friday" by Rebecca Black is getting will help to kill the 2000s sound. I really think people are getting tired of it. If teens and 20somethings are dissatisfied with today's mainstream music, something is wrong.

So that being said, I think mainstream music will improve sooner than later and the 2000s-early 2010s music scene will become an embarrassment.

When are we gonna go back to the days of trombones,horns,guitars,pianos,synclaviers and the electronic sound again? ???

BTW I'm 37.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/11 at 5:31 pm

My parents don't even like the state of music today.

My parents were 60s teenagers and loved 80s music!  :D

Written By: Howard on 04/07/11 at 6:52 am

My parents were 60s teenagers and loved 80s music!  :D

My parents were born in the doowop era.

Written By: Creeder on 04/07/11 at 4:36 pm

Here is some good modern rock music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbpqZT_56Ns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7h_b-YA5qM

Written By: Emman on 04/07/11 at 5:47 pm

Here is some good modern rock music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbpqZT_56Ns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7h_b-YA5qM

Seems like the same old same old post-grunge to me 8-P, outdated in 2011.

Written By: Howard on 04/07/11 at 7:02 pm

music will be good again when people will learn how to harmonize.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 12:26 am

I think once the mainstream music media is totally dead, music will be good again.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/09/11 at 12:33 am

music will be good again when people will learn how to harmonize.

So simple, but so true.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/09/11 at 12:37 am

I think once the mainstream music media is totally dead, music will be good again.

Won't there always be a mainstream? Or will there be none in the future?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 12:46 am

Won't there always be a mainstream? Or will there be none in the future?

I can't say for sure, but I think in the future, the only bands that will be widely known are older bands. Newer bands, because of the fragmentation of the media, will mostly be well-known only in their local areas, or at most, in their own countries. the major media and music industry is dying, and soon it will probably be totally dead, so those powerhouse bands are probably soon to be a thing of the past.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/11 at 6:42 am

So simple, but so true.  ::)

It's always happened in the 80's.

Written By: Cory! on 04/09/11 at 7:15 am

Mmm I know the music of today needs work... :/ But still I take the stuff released today over almost anything released this past decade pre-2008.

Written By: Mr.Brightside on 04/09/11 at 3:37 pm

See that's the problem. People think if mainstream music isn't rock, mainstream sucks. I like rock but it isn't the ONLY genre yet people like to think, "only rock music is good!" And obviously, rock music isn't that popular now; dancepop/electropop is. And I'll say so myself this music IS overplayed, and overused, but it's still good.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/11 at 7:42 pm

See that's the problem. People think if mainstream music isn't rock, mainstream sucks. I like rock but it isn't the ONLY genre yet people like to think, "only rock music is good!" And obviously, rock music isn't that popular now; dancepop/electropop is. And I'll say so myself this music IS overplayed, and overused, but it's still good.

What is considered "mainstream music"?  ???

Written By: Creeder on 04/10/11 at 5:27 am

Its normal for us, rockers, to miss the old glory days when rock was dominant.
But you're right, there are good hip-hop and electropop songs out there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/11 at 5:41 am

Adele and Rumer are bringing a welcome change to today's pop music industry.

Written By: Howard on 04/10/11 at 6:39 am

Its normal for us, rockers, to miss the old glory days when rock was dominant.
But you're right, there are good hip-hop and electropop songs out there.

I miss the days when rock was good.

Written By: Creeder on 04/10/11 at 7:00 am

I miss the days when rock was good.

Before or after grunge?

Written By: Howard on 04/10/11 at 7:36 am

Before or after grunge?

before grunge.

Written By: Emman on 04/10/11 at 8:17 am

Before or after grunge?

Before grunge, I agree with that. 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/11 at 8:18 am

Before grunge, I agree with that. 8)
Instead of grunge!

Written By: Creeder on 04/10/11 at 9:52 am

Yeah, glam/hair metal all the way. 8)

Written By: Shiv on 04/10/11 at 12:09 pm

Rock will always be the best genre imo.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/11 at 12:18 pm

Rock 'n Roll!

Written By: Howard on 04/10/11 at 12:47 pm

Yeah, glam/hair metal all the way. 8)

Hair metal,loud and crazy like Bon Jovi and Quiet Riot.

Written By: Howard on 04/10/11 at 12:48 pm

next to disco.

Check for new replies or respond here...