inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mirixax Films shut down by Disney-2010

Written By: Mirimax gets the boot on 01/28/10 at 11:00 pm

Mirimax films, long owned by Disney was shut down on Jan. 28, 2010. How do you guys feel about this? They put out some great movies from like 1980-1999 but they've been declined a lot the past decade. I didn't know Disney was even downsizing Mirimax let alone totally phasing it out. Think this might prove to be a bad move, probably won't do Disney a credit.

Subject: Re: Mirimax Films shut down by Disney-2010

Written By: nally on 01/28/10 at 11:01 pm

Yeah, I heard about this on the news this afternoon. How sad.

Subject: Re: Mirixax Films shut down by Disney-2010

Written By: Jessica on 01/28/10 at 11:06 pm

What's a Mirixax?

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/10 at 10:59 am

What's a Mirixax?

The sequel to Zaxxon?

Subject: Miramax

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/10 at 12:24 pm

More like Disney-max. No big loss.  They made a bunch of bogus art films -- that is mainstream films marketed as artsy-fartsy, such as "Sex, Lies, and Videotape," "Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down," "The Crying Game," and "Pulp Fiction."

Some of their films were actually quite good, but the end of Mirmax only means the next "Clerks" or "My Left Foot" will be released under a different imprimatur. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/29/10 at 2:19 pm

Miramax had a few Oscar-winning movies.

Maybe Disney should just buy the whole Miramax Library...like what M-G-M did to Orion.

Subject: Re: Miramax

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/10 at 2:27 pm

More like Disney-max. No big loss.  They made a bunch of bogus art films -- that is mainstream films marketed as artsy-fartsy, such as "Sex, Lies, and Videotape," "Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down," "The Crying Game," and "Pulp Fiction."

Some of their films were actually quite good, but the end of Mirmax only means the next "Clerks" or "My Left Foot" will be released under a different imprimatur. 

once the Weinstein's left, there wasn't likely to be another Clerks film with Miramax anyways

Check for new replies or respond here...