inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Apple releases new useless gadget, people won't shut up about it

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/10 at 2:26 pm

first predicted here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

Here's Pee-Wee finding a good use for it

What is it?  it's a Kindle, but in color and more locked down than an iPhone

Subject: Re: Apple releases new useless gadget, people won't shut up about it

Written By: karen on 01/29/10 at 3:38 pm

I was just chatting with my niece on Facebook and she was asking about this.  The hype had passed me by.

Written By: Bobby on 01/29/10 at 6:10 pm

Yes, Steve Jobs called the I-Pad 'revolutionary'. At 16gb (cheapest) or 64gb (expensive version), no multi-tasking ability, no USB or HDMI connections - what is the point? I may as well buy myself an I-Phone, small laptop or an Archos A700.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/29/10 at 10:28 pm

http://i.imgur.com/3877N.jpg

Sorry, Steve, it's a pretty neat gadget.  But it's not the most important thing you've ever done.

http://i.imgur.com/tgFH4.jpg

(Here's a sneak peek from next year.  Observe that the iPad Mini is just 1/4 the size of the iPad!)

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/30/10 at 8:45 pm

I don't know if I would call it "revolutionary" but I can see the device concept.  I just went over to the Apple site to check out the info.

An iPad would be considerably more convenient to use "on the go" than a laptop or a netbook in my opinion.  With the iPad you can quickly whip it out (especially if a woman has a medium-sized purse) and its ready to go.  No need to boot up etc.  For somebody like a real estate person or a sales person who is on the road constantly, this could be a convenient way to check email, calendar, etc, without having to squint at a small iPhone or Blackberry screen.  If you are somebody who just ises your laptop to check email and web surf, this device could be a nice rig.

Depending upon the technology, videoconferencing on this device would also be cool, but for now I do not think it has a built in webcam.

I'd also like to see some basic apps like word processor and spreadsheet on it; maybe those are in the works.

Written By: 435wtr on 01/30/10 at 10:48 pm

The ipad is a giant iphone without the camera  ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 01/31/10 at 12:49 pm

This thing is a piece of crap, I thought they would maybe introduce something innovative but instead Jobs pulls out this gigantic iPhone and says it's better than a netbook cmon. A netbook is a full PC that multitasks, has flash, and allows you to install any software you want, this is using a locked down phone OS. It's just another vehicle for Apple to control you, they want to lock you into their closed App Store, iTunes and now "iBookstore".

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/31/10 at 5:33 pm

This thing is a piece of crap, I thought they would maybe introduce something innovative but instead Jobs pulls out this gigantic iPhone and says it's better than a netbook cmon. A netbook is a full PC that multitasks, has flash, and allows you to install any software you want, this is using a locked down phone OS. It's just another vehicle for Apple to control you, they want to lock you into their closed App Store, iTunes and now "iBookstore".

I think the jury will be out on this product for quite some time.

To date, nobody has been able to market a "mass market" tablet/pad type of computer, so th iPad is treading into heretofore unconquered ground.

I suspect that if one were to ask Steve Jobs, he would never claim that an iPad is a substitute for a netbook or laptop.  But this we do know:  There are LOTS of people who lug netbooks or laptops around, and they only use them for web surfing and email.  For THEM, the iPad as it is currently being described could be a sweet deal.  The idea of being able to have a small email and web-surf appliance, without the time-consuming overhead of boot time, is certainly appealing for some users.

For somebody who's gonna be doing spreadsheet work or other keyboard-intense work, the iPad is not going to get that job done.  And I don't think that Apple will be claiming that it will.  Indeed, they've been describing it as a "third device".  I somewhat disagree with the "third device" moniker.  I think that it is more of an alternative "second device" depending upon one's needs.

Check for new replies or respond here...