inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Three's Company Remake?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/29/10 at 7:37 pm

I just read that thee's a rumor about a REMAKE  http://kydem.blogspot.com/2009/09/threes-company-remake.html and the recasting of the classic sitcom may start with Jessica Simpson as ditzy Chrissy?  (no acting stretch for Jessica)
this could be a sign that the end times are near and I betcha this is scheduled for release in the year 2012  ::)

so who should play the different characters?  Jack, Janet, Mrs and Mrs Roper, Mr Furley, Larry, Lana?

Subject: Re: Three's Company Remake?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/29/10 at 7:40 pm

NO MORE REMAKES!  I am just so tired of them...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/29/10 at 7:42 pm

NO MORE REMAKES!  I am just so tired of them...
I heard that!  >:( 

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/10 at 9:15 pm

Three's Company was an instant success because it pushed the envolope by doing things that just were not done on TV back in the 70s.  It paved the way for more sex and raunchiness on TV and given what's out there today, a Three's Company remake just wouldn't fly because it would be no different than what's already on TV.

No more remakes.  If Hollywood can't come up with new ideas, then new writers need to be hired.

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/10 at 9:44 pm

it'd probably be more like Gossip Girl than Three's Company.

Jason's right- there's no shock value in a guy sharing an apt with two women... maybe if they switch it and have a woman share with two guys
then they could twist the whole its okay cuz he's gay theme to have the guys pretend to be a couple.... wait... they just did that on House (sort of)  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/29/10 at 9:49 pm

NO TIMES A MILLION NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>:(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/29/10 at 10:10 pm

these Hollywood knuckleheads will try to squeeze a little more milk out of the Three's Company teat, but there's probably only a couple drops left so they just need to Leave It Alone! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/10 at 8:09 am

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!    SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!!!!!!!

Why do they always do that? Can't they think of anything original?

Cat

Written By: ninny on 01/30/10 at 9:58 am

They were talking this morning that there is a Rockford Files remake in the works with Matt Dillon possibly playing Jim Rockford

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/30/10 at 1:20 pm

The remake, of course, will cast the role of Jack as a gay (as opposed to the original where he just pretended to be gay).

Larry?  They oughtta go with the original guy, who else could match his cheese factor?  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/02/10 at 9:22 pm

The remake, of course, will cast the role of Jack as a gay (as opposed to the original where he just pretended to be gay).

No, no... Jack will be straight (and still pretend to be gay), but it'll be Chrissy and Janet who are... flexible.  They'll be the ones pretending to be lesbians, so that nobody thinks anything weird's going on.  Such a relationship would, after all, be the last thing that might be considered scandalous in Peoria.

(So help me God, if Hollywood actually goes that route just to get ratings, I will be so sorry.)

Written By: Davester on 02/03/10 at 4:26 am

I don't know whether or not a new Three's Company would be any good. The premise of the original was racy, at the time, and most of the comedy in the show sprang from that.  Men and women living together in a commune-like situation in order to share expenses, especially the younger set, is not all that uncommon anymore and not frowned upon at all...

In this age of "hook-ups" and octo-moms and where homosexuality is fashionable - is anyone capable of being shocked anymore..?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/03/10 at 9:30 am

In this age of "hook-ups" and octo-moms and where homosexuality is fashionable - is anyone capable of being shocked anymore..?

Well for shock value, I'd rpescribe a series that is a merger of "Three's Company" and "Weekend at Bernie's".

The shocking storylines would be endless....  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/05/10 at 10:32 pm

Three's Company was an instant success because it pushed the envolope by doing things that just were not done on TV back in the 70s.  It paved the way for more sex and raunchiness on TV and given what's out there today, a Three's Company remake just wouldn't fly because it would be no different than what's already on TV.

No more remakes.  If Hollywood can't come up with new ideas, then new writers need to be hired.

Ditto, and...

The real reason that show lasted for so long was John Ritter and Don Knotts were comic geniuses.

Norman Fell and Audra Lindley (Stanley and Helen Roper) were great, but they were the victims of a failed spinoff show so they weren't there for 3C's entire 8-year run. 

Suzanne Somers was only so good at playing a bimbo because she wasn't really a bimbo, but a talented actress, and she left in 1981.  If John Ritter hadn't been as funny as he was, and if they hadn't managed to cast as phenomenal a talent as Don Knotts, 3C might have been finished after that cast shakeup. 

Ritter was a terribly underrated actor.  3C was supposed to be a light comedy with a lot of sight gags, so that's what Ritter delivered, and he made it look so easy.  The show's critics thought it was juvenile and relied on crude sexual innuendo, and...no duh...they were right!  A lesser actor would have attracted a lot more ire from the conservatives, but Ritter made Jack Tripper seem like such a nice guy you just hadda love him!  Next time you see an episode, just listen to the dialog itself.  What Ritter pulled off was anything but easy.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/07/10 at 3:35 am

Ditto, and...

The real reason that show lasted for so long was John Ritter and Don Knotts were comic geniuses.

Norman Fell and Audra Lindley (Stanley and Helen Roper) were great, but they were the victims of a failed spinoff show so they weren't there for 3C's entire 8-year run. 

Suzanne Somers was only so good at playing a bimbo because she wasn't really a bimbo, but a talented actress, and she left in 1981.  If John Ritter hadn't been as funny as he was, and if they hadn't managed to cast as phenomenal a talent as Don Knotts, 3C might have been finished after that cast shakeup. 

Ritter was a terribly underrated actor.  3C was supposed to be a light comedy with a lot of sight gags, so that's what Ritter delivered, and he made it look so easy.  The show's critics thought it was juvenile and relied on crude sexual innuendo, and...no duh...they were right!  A lesser actor would have attracted a lot more ire from the conservatives, but Ritter made Jack Tripper seem like such a nice guy you just hadda love him!  Next time you see an episode, just listen to the dialog itself.  What Ritter pulled off was anything but easy.
I totally agree. There was a lot of physical comedy in Three's Company, and John Ritter excelled at it.

Really, I don't see how a remake could possibly work.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/07/10 at 8:03 am

Speaking of shakeups...

Let's not forget that 3C was part of what became known as "Jiggle TV", and the ABC Network was known as "The Jiggle Network" with fare such as 3C and Charlie's Angels.

;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/10 at 12:02 am

Speaking of shakeups...

Let's not forget that 3C was part of what became known as "Jiggle TV", and the ABC Network was known as "The Jiggle Network" with fare such as 3C and Charlie's Angels.

;)

Actually, I had a crush on Joyce De Witt!  Nowadays, they'd have to make Janet a goth chick!
::)

Basically, it comes down to this:

In 1977, it was still scandalous for a single guy to live with two single women.  Now it's not.
In 1977, it was still okay for older guys to be homophobes.  Now it's not.
So the show wouldn't work.

Anyway, I always thought Mr. Roper was gay but kinda never figured it out.  A lot of gay men in that generation (born in the 1910s and 1920s) ended up married with no interest in sex or their wives.  By the time they were in their fifties, they had no libido and were completely asexual!  There were a lot of Mr. Ropers around.  You couldn't really "come out" in the 1930s or 1940s because they'd lock you up in a mental hospital or a jail.  Until the early 1970s, homosexuality was classified as a psychiatric illness and what we now call " the gay lifestyle" was illegal and enforced in state criminal codes.  Sad but true.

Furley and Larry were definitely bi.

Written By: Frank on 02/08/10 at 10:45 am

I had a crush on Joyce Dewitt too...At least for the first 5 years on the show.
Suzanne Sommers didn't for much for me.

Written By: karen on 02/08/10 at 11:11 am

Does anyone know if it used the same scripts as the UK show Man About The House?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/10 at 8:44 pm

Does anyone know if it used the same scripts as the UK show Man About The House?

It was an Americanized version of "Man About the House," but the scripts were original.  It's the same way as "Sanford & Son" was based on "Steptoe & Son."

Check for new replies or respond here...