inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010 predictions

Written By: mojojojo on 01/30/10 at 7:54 pm

Even though we're a bit late to start this I think we're early enough into the year that could still be intresting. What are your top predictions for 2010? Mine are:

1. The economy improves but remains sluggish, high unemployment, weak dollar, ect.

2. The IPad flops

3. Gas prices rise but settle to about $2.30 by late summer

4. Mainsteam Rap takes a dive, singers like Kanye West,  T-Pain lose popularity

5. The 1980's retro fad peaks, the styles will still be pretty cheesy but it's dominance will fade a bit

6. This will be one of the last years that remakes will be all the rage for movies and t.v. shows

7. Overall this year will be a lot like '09 except early signs of 00's backlash will show through

Subject: Re: 2010 predictions

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/10 at 8:20 pm

My prediction for 2010?  Gay topics will still be gay

Written By: mojojojo on 01/30/10 at 8:29 pm

And pompus assholes will still be pompous assholes.

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/10 at 8:40 pm

And pompus butts will still be pompous butts.

Glad to see you know where you stand :D

Written By: 435wtr on 01/30/10 at 10:46 pm

Even though we're a bit late to start this I think we're early enough into the year that could still be intresting. What are your top predictions for 2010? Mine are:

1. The economy improves but remains sluggish, high unemployment, weak dollar, ect.

2. The IPad flops

3. Gas prices rise but settle to about $2.30 by late summer

5. The 1980's retro fad peaks, the styles will still be pretty cheesy but it's dominance will fade a bit

6. This will be one of the last years that remakes will be all the rage for movies and t.v. shows

7. Overall this year will be a lot like '09 except early signs of 00's backlash will show through

I think we'll start to see some 00s backlash too, I'm curious what the backlash will be against though.

Written By: mojojojo on 01/30/10 at 11:25 pm

I think a lot of the backlash will be against the sleekness and materialism of the last decade, especially the technology. I hope it's not so much of a negative rebellion of everything the 00's represented but instead improving many of it's flaws. Maybe in the 10's people will (especially in the years after the recession) spend more time outdoors, going camping, exploring national parks, musical festivals, ect. As far as fashion and music go I think things will be more modest, practical and overall grittier, this won't be some cookie cutter standard, just the general mood/ethos. I could be totally wrong (might just be my personal wishes) but seeing as decades often go to opposite extremes (and with the 90's nostalgia that will probably show up) this will probably be the general direction we're heading in.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/10 at 8:29 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=39274.0

Cat

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/31/10 at 9:34 pm

I'm sorry but I hope these three actually do happen, especially numbers four and six. I wouldn't really mind the '80s fashion/fads influence another year, but hopefully by next year everyone's gotten tired of it. I think '80s fads were really great, but enough is enough.

I think this year culture/fads will be very different, meaning NO REPEATS OF PREVIOUS ERAS PLEASE.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/01/10 at 7:44 am

Emo will see a resurgence, with "emo hiphop fusion" especially getting notice...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/01/10 at 11:31 pm

What the hell is emo hip hop fushion. That's an oxymoron like the term "tall midget".  :)

I don't really know how to call it. I think music (is) will take a dive even further into the abyss since Michael Jackson is dead and Prince is the sole true muscian left on the face of the earth. I hate to see music as a dying art and just liking artists for looks instead of substance. It stinks and I hate that's what it's become. Just basically modeling set to a funky beat.

I think the ecomony will perk up and that Obama will end the wars and bring our service men and women home for good. I'm 23 years old and can't remember a time when this country was in a time of peace with all the service people at home with thier families.  :(

I want to kind of see a halt in all this technology. it's really nice and all, but it kind of dumbing the new generation down. DO people still read books or write letters? Do kids go out and play basketball, or just fire up the Wii and play that instead? There are physical things that can still be done. Like asking a person ot on a date in person. Not tweeting it or twerping it or whatever the hell you call it. It makes me sad to see my generation kind of full of idiots. People who are probably over 30 all remember a time when yhe onyl time you saw a computer was at the hospital not in the den. You read books,you didn't google the cliff's notes. Maybe I am old fashioned--Im sure I am. But I just miss having intelligent conversations. (I know first hand, because one of my friends, as sweet as she is, is an idiot)

I just wish things would slow down--not be lazy, there is a difference--and be a little more simple and people couild get thier learn on, not log on. I just use my computer to hit the MJ sites, come here, and enter the occasional pageant when I have time. I just wish things were different. That's all.

I want the country to be at peace in 2010. I'd Like that above all.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/02/10 at 9:18 pm

I think a lot of the backlash will be against the sleekness and materialism of the last decade, especially the technology. I hope it's not so much of a negative rebellion of everything the 00's represented but instead improving many of it's flaws. Maybe in the 10's people will (especially in the years after the recession) spend more time outdoors, going camping, exploring national parks, musical festivals, ect

I can buy that.  If the 2000s were the decade in which the 80s were officially retro, the 2010s will be the decade in which grunge was officially retro.

Written By: Jessica on 02/02/10 at 9:43 pm

I can buy that.  If the 2000s were the decade in which the 80s were officially retro, the 2010s will be the decade in which grunge was officially retro.

It's so............................LOGICAL.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Nerdprincess1980/Funny/Motivational%20Posters/Team_Spock_by_imbatman1313.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/02/10 at 11:45 pm

It's so............................LOGICAL.

Shock 'er with the Spocker!

Written By: 435wtr on 02/03/10 at 12:04 am

Hopefully one of the first backlash moves against the 00s will be in music, I don't want to hear anymore autotune, singers who people pretend are good just because of their looks (Taylor Swift), or songs about partying and nothing else.  ::)

Written By: Jessica on 02/03/10 at 7:48 am

Shock 'er with the Spocker!

Hey!  That's not a part of Pon Farr!

Written By: b_cowboy on 02/04/10 at 7:48 am

*Miley Cyrus will lose her popularity due to HM ending.

*Women will outgrow the crappy way they dressed in 06-09.

*In 2010 or maybe 2011 athletic shorts (you know them - they were really short) will come back and will be worn as everyday clothing like in the early 80s. That will lead to some wardrobe malfunctions, especially in public transport, stadium halls, parks and other places where you can sit.  ;D

*By 2013 most things from 06-09 will be dated and not cool. I hope so!

*In the 2010s people will realise that there is life beyond Facebook, Twitter and the Internet as a whole. As smart-phones become more and more powerful, we will start using them more regularly, instead of using PCs. I mean, I'd rather use Facebook while commuting than doing the 'ritual' of sitting in front of the monitor, waiting for my PC to boot up, etc.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/04/10 at 10:36 pm

Hey!  That's not a part of Pon Farr!

Fine, write your own slash!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_msb7eQA-RFY/SgKITnWiFYI/AAAAAAAAA80/SkPofJ4K6FE/s400/star-trek-amok-time-action-figures.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

http://gamerscircle.org/ebay/JUL074567.jpg

Just be sure to use the right props.

Obligatory 2010 prediction: No, wait, whistledog already covered slash, right there in the first post...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/05/10 at 10:31 pm

*In 2010 or maybe 2011 athletic shorts (you know them - they were really short) will come back and will be worn as everyday clothing like in the early 80s. That will lead to some wardrobe malfunctions, especially in public transport, stadium halls, parks and other places where you can sit.  ;D

*In the 2010s people will realise that there is life beyond Facebook, Twitter and the Internet as a whole. As smart-phones become more and more powerful, we will start using them more regularly, instead of using PCs. I mean, I'd rather use Facebook while commuting than doing the 'ritual' of sitting in front of the monitor, waiting for my PC to boot up, etc.

I liked the way i dressed during those years!  ::) I

Written By: Stompgal on 02/06/10 at 5:56 am

Here are my predictions for the year:

The original line-up of Sugababes will reform to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the release of their debut single 'Overload'
Kanye West will be banned from the MTV VMAs due to interrupting Taylor Swift's acceptance speech at the 2009 VMAs.
This summer will be the hottest since 2006.
Cheryl Cole will have her first child with Ashley Cole.
The iPhone will reach its 4th generation and become available to all major mobile phone networks.
Dannii Minogue will quit her job as X Factor judge due to her pregnancy and her sister Kylie will take over.

Written By: JTCool on 02/06/10 at 12:42 pm

I think one prediction that could actually come really soon is a Taylor Swift backlash considering many people have been debating about her singing talent after her Grammy performance. I kinda hope this one doesn't happen since I was just beginning to like some of her songs.

I also think that more fashion from the late 80s/early 90s will begin to become even more mainstream. At my highschool I can already see lots of the 80's stuff becoming popular.

Written By: 435wtr on 02/06/10 at 10:32 pm

I think one prediction that could actually come really soon is a Taylor Swift backlash considering many people have been debating about her singing talent after her Grammy performance. I kinda hope this one doesn't happen since I was just beginning to like some of her songs.

I also think that more fashion from the late 80s/early 90s will begin to become even more mainstream. At my highschool I can already see lots of the 80's stuff becoming popular.
I definitley have noticed a Taylor Swift backlash, and it's refreshing that people are finally being honest about who has talent and who doesn't, and she may write well, but her voice is awful.  8-P

Written By: b_cowboy on 02/07/10 at 5:45 pm

* Smart phones will continue increasing their user share. In the 2010s, smart phones will be as common as laptop computers and notebooks if not more common. I mean I'd rather chat, blog, facebook, twit, etc. on a phone than on a PC, I am bored with computers, but not with the I-net.

* As I already said: really short shorts will make a comeback in the 2010s. I'm not sure why, but I've got that feeling that we're gonna wear them in the 2010s like they did in the early 80s:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/weardrobe1/pictures/0010/0474/img_1319copy_normal.jpg

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing women dressed like that, but such shorts will mean many wardrobe malfunctions for guys. lol  :)

* 2010 will be more like the late 00s, but by 2012 most things 00s will be uncool, esp. things from the late 00s since they are more recent. The early 00s now seem like a long time ago. I mean - 2000 was 10 years ago!

* I hope that MTV and VH1 will return to music videos. I am already fed up with YouTube because of the low quality of most videos there and the copyright issues and the fact that you know what you're looking at next. I mean, it's great to choose and to be able to rewind a video, but there's no excitement like there's when you don't know what video they're going to show up next - have someone ever experienced such a feeling? I mean it's kinda cool.

Written By: whistledog on 02/07/10 at 6:25 pm

I mean I'd rather chat, blog, facebook, twit, etc. on a phone than on a PC

But what happens if there is a service outage in your area?  Or you accidentally drop your phone in water?  Many things can go wrong with a cellphone, that aren't likely to go wrong with a PC. 

Plus, if you are under the age of 18, you wouldn't be able to have internet on your phone because it's blocked, and when you call into your cell provider to have it unblocked, they'll tell you that you can't because you don't meet the age requirement, then you'll threaten to switch providers if they can't grant you access, then you refuse to pay your bill in spite, and your account gets cancelled because of past due bills, and you'll end up owing collection agencies loads of money, and you'll get such bad credit, that no company will want your business, and you'll lose your job, and end up begging for pennies on the street just so you can afford a box of band-aids to cover the scabs on your feet caused by all the rats that bite you while you sleep in an old box in a dumpster in a back alley.

You would go through all that, just to not use a computer for internet? 

Written By: b_cowboy on 02/08/10 at 2:59 am

I have an Internet addiction, so a smart phone will make me use the Internet more reasonably. I'm 23, not under 18.

Btw, I also like Rachel McAdams.

Written By: JTCool on 02/08/10 at 12:13 pm

I'm 16 and I don't really care about all the new smart phones or anything like that. The only thing I want to use my cell-phone for is to call people and send texts when I don't feel like calling. As for advancements in anything during the 2010's, I mostly hope there will be more new cures for untreated illnesses.

Written By: Stompgal on 02/17/10 at 8:30 am

Another prediction I have for 2010 is that the girls' name Florence will make a comeback due to the popularity of the alternative music act Florence and the Machine, who won a Brit Award for their debut album 'Lungs.' The last time that name was in the top 10 girls names in England and Wales was in the 1910s, about 100 years ago.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/27/10 at 10:14 pm

I think we'll start to see some 00s backlash too, I'm curious what the backlash will be against though.

In my area we are already seeing a backlash against many '00s fads like Abercrombie & Fitch, AE, Aeropostale, etc.  Though they have been waning in popularity since the mid-00s, it has finally come to the point that it is uncool to wear them.  Another thing I am seeing the start of is backlash against "crunk" rap.  That kind of music, while all the rage in the mid-00s has come to a point where it is once again defined to the African-American community and not pop music as a whole.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 03/04/10 at 7:28 pm

By 2011, they will stop making Power Rangers and instead do direct translations of the Sentai shows. (The American Power Rangers were adaptations of the Sentai shows featuring differing storylines and American actors. Needless to say, Sentai is way better.)

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/05/10 at 2:32 am

I already feel like things from 05-08 are dated, but not necessarily uncool, yet. I was just listening to my 2005 playlist on my iPod, and it had me realize that it finally feels like a long time ago, and a lot has changed since then. 2009 was the year that a lot changed, especially in my personal life, which is why I feel the way I do about 05-08.

I liked the way i dressed during those years!  ::) I

Can you describe how you dressed in those years?  ;) I too like the way the women dressed going into the late 2000's. It seemed like the sexy styles of the 80's and 90's started coming back, like the tight mini-dresses or mini-skirts with tights underneath. I didn't care too much for the way women dressed in the mid-2000's, like the boho-chic styles. The skirts were too long and baggy and they looked too casual and raggidy.

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/05/10 at 3:19 pm

[quote author=JTCool link=topic=39621.msg2361459#msg2361459 date=1265652832

As for advancements in anything during the 2010's, I mostly hope there will be more new cures for untreated illnesses.

Almes antegarieh  :)

Thanks for that. You're my hero of the day just for bringing that up.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/05/10 at 4:54 pm

I hope so!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 03/05/10 at 4:57 pm

I consider anything pre-2006 outdated already!

Written By: 80sfan on 03/05/10 at 5:14 pm

I prefer PC, No offense.

Written By: Howard on 03/06/10 at 6:37 am

I'm predicting that Osama Bin Laden will finally be caught,then shot and dead.

Written By: James Marsden look-alike on 03/08/10 at 3:10 pm

I don't like anything from 2006-2010, save for Megan Fox, transformers and Sandra Bullock getting an Oscar.
I detest the current fashion and the fugly way women dress, I hate overrated singers like Lady GaGa and the likes.
So i hope that most things from that sheeshty era will be over! God, even rap was cool in 2003-2004!
2003 and 2004 were the best years of the 00's in my opinion so I hope the 2010s will become to be like the early 80's or the early 00's.

Written By: 43twr on 03/08/10 at 6:38 pm

I don't like anything from 2006-2010, save for Megan Fox, transformers and Sandra Bullock getting an Oscar.
I detest the current fashion and the fugly way women dress, I hate overrated singers like Lady GaGa and the likes.
So i hope that most things from that sheeshty era will be over! God, even rap was cool in 2003-2004!
2003 and 2004 were the best years of the 00's in my opinion so I hope the 2010s will become to be like the early 80's or the early 00's.
I'm the opposite, I hated 2003 and 2004, the music was better, but everything else about that time period was awful. 2009 and now are far better. People aren't buying things they can't afford (for the most part) and Bush is out of office.  :)

Written By: Howard on 03/08/10 at 7:08 pm

Flying Cars.

Written By: James Marsden look-alike on 03/09/10 at 6:45 am

I'm the opposite, I hated 2003 and 2004, the music was better, but everything else about that time period was awful. 2009 and now are far better. People aren't buying things they can't afford (for the most part) and Bush is out of office.  :)

Are you sure? In 2003 and 2004 there were less girls with poodle hair. I don't like girls with curly hair generally. And that hairdo with the hair on top of their heads is pathetic. I hate it:
http://i.actualno.com/club.bg/files/2007/08/09/d23813e97f.jpg I don't remember many girls wearing that in 2003.

Besides, clothes were better then. Male clothes nowadays are so gay!
In 2000-2004 most movies were original, not remakes. Now almostevery movie is a remake.
In 2000-2006 there was no economic crisis!!! As for Bush - I don't care about politics and I'm European btw.
The things I like about 2005-2010 are: the Transformers movies, Sandra Bullock's Oscar, Megan Fox being popular,
Do you remember that in 2004 MTV still showed music videos? Well, not as much as in the 80's and the 90's, but they still did! Now they only show crappy reality shows. In 2000-2004 there were less crappy stars like Miley Cyrus. Even Hilary Duff and Lindsey Lohan were/are better than her.
And I don't like most post-2005 cars except the new pony cars e.g. Mustang, Camaro, Charger, but we don't have these in Europe. We have only junk here.
On a more positive note, there is still good music, but a lot less than in 2000-2005. A good example is "Ruby" by Kaiser Chiefs.

And now my predictions for 2010 and the 2010's:

- Americans get fed up with the Obama hype.

- Ford Mustang goes global. I hope so! America had the European Ford Capri in the 1970's so it's our turn now. Besides, there are no pony cars currently in Europe (well, there are some Japanese and European pony/muscle car-wannabes, but they don't have that cool retro futuristic design of the Mustang and the Camaro). USA is going to get the Ford Fiesta which in my opinion sucks compared with the Mustang. I know thy're positioned in different car segments, but I hate the Fiesta's 'fat and bulky' design. In my opinion the previous Ford Fiesta (02-08) was better looking, it was a lot cleaner.

- USA and possibly Canada continue getting more and more European cars. Ford is bringing the Fiesta to the USA, and Ford Transit Connect will be probably produced in the states by 2011.

- In 2011 Miley Cyrus will go into making crappy movies in a desperate attempt to retain her fame after her HM show gets canceled. In my opinion she IS Hannah Montana. I mean all she's famous for is being Hannah. Many little kids regard Miley and Hannah as the same person. In my opinion the Hannah character is cooler than Miley herself. To most people she'll be 'that girl that played Hannah Montana'.

- Hilary Duff and Lindsay Lohan will make a comeback.

- People start getting fed up with the synth pop crap.

- By 2013, the clean-cut look of the early 80's that never really came back in the 00's (most of the 00's focused on mid-to-late 80's nostalgia) comes back.

- Avril Lavigne returns to her better music style from 2002-2004, when she wasn't a sell-out.

- Hollywood and TV channels realize that by offering crap to their viewers they won't make people prefer going to cinema/watching TV/buying a newspaper to illegal downloading.

- People's lives have little to do with current trends. For me the real 2010's won't start until I change my surroundings. My personal life sucks and is always the same since 2007 (when I got to university). I'll finish my BsBA (I hope so!) in the spring of 2011, so that is when my life will really change. Up until then it's the same people and the same surroundings since 2007. Maybe the reason for me hating most post-2005/6 stuff is that my life sucks now at university? Everyone said university's gonna be cool, but it's way worse than high school! The people here are so snobby and stuck-up. Best years in life? Gimme a break! I just hope that my life after the spring of 2011 will improve! I'm waiting for this since 2007!

In my personal life the 00's/early 10's are divided like that: autumn 2001 - summer 2002 (a different school for a year), autumn 2002 - 2005 (my next school), 2005-spring of 2007 (I was at the same school, but everyone was starting getting nervous with the other class members.), 2007-2011 (my bachelor years).

As you can see, our lives change independently of current trends and pop culture. If you have fun in your personal life, you'll enjoy pop culture and you'll feel nostalgia while looking back later, because you connect those trends with the time. Please don't judge me just because I don't like most of the 2007-2010 pop culture trends! It's because my life sucks now. And believe me, I will never look at the 2007-2010 trends with nostalgia. I have no friends since spring of 2007, when I graduated from high school. I really hope that my life will improve when I change my surroundings.

Written By: Stompgal on 07/08/10 at 6:31 am

Now that we're in the second half of July, I'll say whether I was right or not with my predictions.

1. So far, I've heard no news about the original Sugababes line-up reforming.
2. Cheryl Cole announced her seperation from Ashley in February and has filed for divorce.
3. The fourth generation of the iPhone is now out. In the UK at the moment, it's available on the O2, Vodafone, Orange and Tesco Mobile networks but not yet available on Virgin Mobile, 3 or T Mobile.
4. Dannii Minogue has just had a baby boy called Ethan. She will return to 'The X Factor' later this year, but Kylie Minogue did not stand in for her. Katy Perry, Nicole Sherzinger, Natalie Imbruglia and Geri Halliwell are the stand-in judges until Dannii returns.

Written By: Howard on 07/08/10 at 6:46 am

Lindsey Lohan will star in a new film.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/08/10 at 10:36 pm

Lindsey Lohan will star in a newporno film.

You got the one about flying cars right, but dude, I gotta fix that one for ya.

Written By: Frank on 07/08/10 at 10:47 pm

Millions of girls begin to do their fingernails like Lindsay Lohan.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/10 at 6:46 am

You got the one about flying cars right, but dude, I gotta fix that one for ya.

Meaner Girls.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/10 at 6:47 am

everything will be computerized.

Written By: Frank on 07/09/10 at 3:47 pm

everything will be computerized.

way ta go out on a limb there, Howard.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/10/10 at 6:32 pm

way ta go out on a limb there, Howard.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/11 at 9:43 am

I'm predicting that Osama Bin Laden will finally be caught,then shot and dead.
So far he has not still be found.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/11 at 6:53 pm

So far he has not still be found.

But where is he hiding?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/11 at 1:30 am

But where is he hiding?  ???
If only we knew!

Check for new replies or respond here...