inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: We Are The World 25 For Haiti

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/13/10 at 1:17 pm

I love the audo tuning and raping in the song.

::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glny4jSciVI&feature=youtu.be

Subject: Re: We Are The World 25 For Haiti

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/13/10 at 1:42 pm

Raping?  Egads, now I can see why Dan Ackrhoid and Kim Carnes did not participate on this go 'round.

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 1:55 pm

Okay this is gonna be fun.... not to take away from what they are trying to do but....  here's my commentary
BTW there are going to be some people I should know... I probably listen to their music but music stars don't interest me as much as TV and Movie stars so I often don't recognize them at first sight so If I say who is... and its an artist you know I listen to don't give me too hard of a time okay?  ;D

Who's the girl? Oh- that girl's a boy...
JENNIFER HUDSON... no clue who she's with... but Jen sounds good...
Who's that chick?
Josh Grobin right... not so bad?
TOny Bennett sounds awful
Mary J sounds good
Aw they needed to include MJ in this and janet looks hot. I love Janet...
Babs is a bit over the top... no?
No clue who that chick was.
and that dude sounded AWFUL
Jaimie Foxx!!! Sounds good
this guy with the accent is over the top
don't know that guy either it was okay...
Pink sounds Amazing
Did Brian McKnight shave his head
MJ good
USHER!!! Love Usher
did I say babs was over the top? Celine was too..
not gwen steffani... what's her name?.... oh yeah its fergie
who's playing guitar?
that chick with the long hair and the hand movement looks like Mya Rudolph but I know its not...
the black chick with the short hair I sooo know her but can't place it... they just showed her again before Lil- Wayne
BTW There is a reason why Lil Wayne raps... he can;'t sing
Too many group shots to comment'
Is that T-Pain or lil John? Or someone else.. the eletronic amplification is annoying
The rap is kinda cool... plus I see LL and Snoop so that makes me happy

Jenn Hudson has got the pipes... Simon Cowell should eat his words everytime she opens her mouth to sing..
Is that kanye?
can't place the women with the buns towards the end of the video...

all in all it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...

BTW- I had searched for the original We Are the world on itunes about two years or so ago and it wasn't avail. with all the talk about the new version I searched again and found the original for a buck twenty nine on itunes. I downloaded it.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/10 at 2:01 pm

We are watching the Olympics and they showed this. I thought it was good with the exception of the rap-but I think they had to do that to get the demographics of the people who do like rap (unfortunately, they are a lot of them out there).  Yeah, they also HAD to include Michael in there somehow, too. I'm glad they did. It just wouldn't have been the same without Michael somehow. But I have to admit that they are many who I have no idea who they are.

And Q, you forgot Stevie Wonder.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 2:11 pm

We are watching the Olympics and they showed this. I thought it was good with the exception of the rap-but I think they had to do that to get the demographics of the people who do like rap (unfortunately, they are a lot of them out there).  Yeah, they also HAD to include Michael in there somehow, too. I'm glad they did. It just wouldn't have been the same without Michael somehow. But I have to admit that they are many who I have no idea who they are.

Cat

well I guess I just figured Stevie was given...  :)

are you calling me unfortunate?  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/10 at 2:13 pm

well I guess I just figured Stevie was given...  :)

are you calling me unfortunate?  ;)

I would NEVER call you unfortunate, my friend.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 02/13/10 at 3:20 pm

I didn't like it at all.  It just seemed disjointed to me. 

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 5:12 pm

Apparently one of the blonde chicks is Katherine McPhee... You know if people come to recognize  you as a long haired brunette maybe you shouldn't change your look until you get more famous  ::)

Written By: tv on 02/13/10 at 5:13 pm

Why counldn;t they have just made an orginal song instead of covering an old one? The original "We Are The World" was a hit when I was in pre-school.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/10 at 5:15 pm

Why counldn;t they have just made an orginal song instead of covering an old one? The original "We Are The World" was a hit when I was in pre-school.

Pre-school? You young whipper snapper, you. I was already an old married lady. (Of course I married very young-yes, I was still a teen-19.)

Cat

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/13/10 at 5:21 pm

I dont like it.

They're dumping a ton of c-listers in it trying to make up for the fact that Michael Jackson is not there. They want to do something right, release an album of unrelased songs of Michael and let the profits go to benenfit the people in Haiti.

Trust me, it would sell better and benefit those people more. Why? Cause I'd buy it and every MJ fan I know would buy it. Right now, NONE of the MJ fans I know--which is ALOT, beleive me--aren't buying this. It's getting slammed dunked in the MJ forums.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/basket.gif

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 5:40 pm

Pre-school? You young whipper snapper, you. I was already an old married lady. (Of course I married very young-yes, I was still a teen-19.)

Cat

and I was in High School..

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/10 at 5:42 pm

and I was in High School..

Another young whipper snapper.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 5:45 pm

I dont like it.

They're dumping a ton of c-listers in it trying to make up for the fact that Michael Jackson is not there. They want to do something right, release an album of unrelased songs of Michael and let the profits go to benenfit the people in Haiti.

Trust me, it would sell better and benefit those people more. Why? Cause I'd buy it and every MJ fan I know would buy it. Right now, NONE of the MJ fans I know--which is ALOT, beleive me--aren't buying this. It's getting slammed dunked in the MJ forums.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/basket.gif

yeah but you know the jackson family are not going to give the proceeds of a new MJ album to Haiti relief.

I still say- if all the celebs who have been coming together for haiti would just give a few hundred thousand to a million bucks themselves (each) then they would make more money or at least raise it faster...  ::)

Oprah is currently (well on my DVR it was Friday) talking to Lionel Ritchie about it... tony Bennett still sucks  8-P

I wish someone would go thru and identify all the people I don't know.. 

I quoted the video then let it play while I was typing my response..  if that helps...

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 5:47 pm

Another young whipper snapper.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

THANKS!  ;D

Written By: 435wtr on 02/13/10 at 6:39 pm

The original version of this song came out 5 years before I was born, but this new version is a pretty poor update. Half of the people in the song shouldn't have been allowed in the building (esp Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber), I saw an interview with Quincy Jones and Lionel Richie on it and they said that this new version would be all about the new artists, so if that's the case, what is Barbera Streisand doing there ? Come on

Written By: tv on 02/13/10 at 6:40 pm

Cat
I believe the pre-school class that I graduated with we sang "We Are The World" I think.

On a seperate note I don't like adding rap verses in "We Are The World". I don't hate rap but in a song like "We Are The World" it just doesn't belong.

Written By: tv on 02/13/10 at 6:46 pm

The original version of this song came out 5 years before I was born, but this new version is a pretty poor update. Half of the people in the song shouldn't have been allowed in the building (esp Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber), I saw an interview with Quincy Jones and Lionel Richie on it and they said that this new version would be all about the new artists, so if that's the case, what is Barbera Streisand doing there ? Come on
Justin Beieber and Miley Cyrus? What are they thinking? Hey at least the pre-school or Elementary Graduating Classes might sing the new version of "We Are The World" in their graduation ceremonies this year!

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 6:56 pm

I believe the pre-school class that I graduated with we sang "We Are The World" I think.

On a seperate note I don't like adding rap verses in "We Are The World". I don't hate rap but in a song like "We Are The World" it just doesn't belong.

why wouldn't it belong? there is a lot of positive rap out there. I like the rap.

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 6:58 pm

Justin Beieber and Miley Cyrus? What are they thinking? Hey at least the pre-school or Elementary Graduating Classes might sing the new version of "We Are The World" in their graduation ceremonies this year!

I think they were thinking the way to get the kids interested is to get the people the kids like to listen to...

is that girl guy singing in the beginning Justin whatshisface?  and I guess I keep missing Miley.  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/10 at 7:02 pm

It's actually not that bad, but a little confusing.  The original USA for Africa was made up of American singers/musicians.  This group has some who are not ...

A.R. Rahman (India), Justin Bieber, Celine Dion and Melanie Fiona (Canada), Enrique Iglesias (Spain), Carlos Santana (Mexico), Orianthi Panagaris (Australia), Iyaz (British Virgin Islands)

So does this mean there won't be other versions from other countries?  No Band-Aid 4?  No Northern Lights 2?

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 7:07 pm

It's actually not that bad, but a little confusing.  The original USA for Africa was made up of American singers/musicians.  This group has some who are not ...

A.R. Rahman (India), Justin Bieber, Celine Dion and Melanie Fiona (Canada), Enrique Iglesias (Spain), Carlos Santana (Mexico), Orianthi Panagaris (Australia), Iyaz (British Virgin Islands)

So does this mean there won't be other versions from other countries?  No Band-Aid 4?  No Northern Lights 2?

jason can you list them in order for me I have no idea who half the people you named are...  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/10 at 7:13 pm

There are alot of others in the video I don't recognize.  I do see Jeff Bridges and Vince Vaughn in the chorus.  I know Jeff can sing, but when the hell has Vince Vaughn ever sang? lol

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 7:15 pm

There are alot of others in the video I don't recognize.  I do see Jeff Bridges and Vince Vaughn in the chorus.  I know Jeff can sing, but when the hell has Vince Vaughn ever sang? lol

;D  I think its just about wanting to be a part of something bigger.... and if you're in the chorus you can get away with mouthing the lyrics... Idol's Randy Jackson was there and I know he played guitar with Journey but did he ever actually sing?

I was thinking of the principle singers tho...

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/10 at 7:26 pm

;D  I think its just about wanting to be a part of something bigger.... and if you're in the chorus you can get away with mouthing the lyrics... Idol's Randy Jackson was there and I know he played guitar with Journey but did he ever actually sing?

Randy Jackson did sing in Journey, but next to Steve Perry's voice, he was like that low talker from Seinfeld lol  He joined for 'Raised on Radio' in 1986, which was the only Journey album he ever appeared on.

There are a bunch of We Are the World 25ers I do recognize.  Justin Bieber sings the first verse (How he managed that, I have no idea).  Nicole Scyherzinger (of PCD) and Jennifer Hudson sing the 2nd verse.  Country singer Jennifer Nettles does the third and Josh Groban sings the 4th verse.

Miley Cyrus does verse that Dionne Warwick originated.

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/10 at 7:42 pm

The best ever version of 'We Are the World' ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMKkjRNcWtY

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 7:44 pm

Randy Jackson did sing in Journey, but next to Steve Perry's voice, he was like that low talker from Seinfeld lol  He joined for 'Raised on Radio' in 1986, which was the only Journey album he ever appeared on.

There are a bunch of We Are the World 25ers I do recognize.  Justin Bieber sings the first verse (How he managed that, I have no idea).  Nicole Scyherzinger (of PCD) and Jennifer Hudson sing the 2nd verse.  Country singer Jennifer Nettles does the third and Josh Groban sings the 4th verse.

Miley Cyrus does verse that Dionne Warwick originated.

PCD?

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/10 at 7:51 pm

PCD?

http://img.banjig.net/d/bb/user_uploads/302078/the_pussycat_dolls_whatcha_think_about_that_feat_missy_elliott_jpg_5c075ed4.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 7:56 pm

http://img.banjig.net/d/bb/user_uploads/302078/the_pussycat_dolls_whatcha_think_about_that_feat_missy_elliott_jpg_5c075ed4.jpg

ah... so that' s who's standing next to J. Hud. thnx

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 7:57 pm

Who's the dude who (tries to) sing after Miley.. he was almost as bad as Tony Bennett

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 7:58 pm

Raping?  Egads, now I can see why Dan Ackrhoid and Kim Carnes did not participate on this go 'round.

good point.. Hey Jas Vince Vaughn is standing in for Dan Akroyd  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 8:43 pm

the more I listen to it the more I like It.. I just watched it three times now

I will say for the tenth time or so that Tony Bennett was just awful
So was Little Wayne.  
That guy who sings lyrics in a different language (presumably Haitian) was a little much as well...

I honestly think it would have been better to have MJ do his "We are the World, We are the Children" and then drop him out and have Janet do "We are the ones who make a brighter day so lets start giving/living...(whatever the line is) she should have done that line solo.  then they could keep the second MJ verse they did as is..

It would've been funny if Jamie Foxx had busted out his Ray Charles pipes and sang the Ray part as Ray  ;D

And I still like the rap!

The middle of the song is a bit chaotic tho.

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 8:47 pm

oh and paul haggis did a horrible job directing. he never gave you time to really focus on the people in the chorus.

I went to youtube and found the original video and realized two things...

1) I have always hated Bob Dylan but now that I have Tony Bennett to focus on I have to admit for the first time in 25 years Bob doesn't sound that bad after all  ;D

2) with the exception of one person... the dude standing next to Harry Belefonte at about 4:20 and again at 5:56 I recognize everyone in the original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7kFsfH3Jzg

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/10 at 8:51 pm

That guy who sings lyrics in a different language (presumably Haitian) was a little much as well...

Wyclef Jean.  His trilling vocals was the only thing about the song I didn't like.  I actually thought the rap part was OK, simply because it made the song different, so it wasn't just a cover version sung the same way as the original.

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/10 at 8:53 pm

good point.. Hey Jas Vince Vaughn is standing in for Dan Akroyd  ;D

They replaced a Canadian-American with an American-Canadian.  Fair trade.  In Aykroyd's case, he was a proven singer with Blues Brothers.  Can't say as I've ever heard Vaughn sing, and I really wonder how Quincy and Lionel came upon him as a choice for chorus singer. 

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 8:56 pm

Wyclef Jean.  His trilling vocals was the only thing about the song I didn't like.  I actually thought the rap part was OK, simply because it made the song different, so it wasn't just a cover version sung the same way as the original.

was that Wyclef? I guess I couldn't get past his vocals either  ;D

I agree about the rap tho the two lines they changed in the middle... around the miley part and that guy I still don't know (the one who can't sing) I'm not sold on those lines.

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 9:02 pm

I was right about T-Pain...

I think the who came after Miley was Jason Mraz (maybe)

I went to the website to find the list

* QUINCY JONES – Executive Producer
    * LIONEL RICHIE – Executive Producer
    * WYCLEF JEAN – Executive Producer
    * RICKEY MINOR – Producer
    * RedOne – Producer

* CARLOS SANTANA
    * JENNIFER HUDSON
    * JAMIE FOXX
    * SUGARLAND
    * ADAM LEVINE
    * JASON MRAZ
    * EARTH WIND & FIRE
    * NATALIE COLE
    * THE JONAS BROTHERS
    * T PAIN
    * BRIAN WILSON
    * JUSTIN BIEBER
    * NICOLE SCHERZINGER
    * INDIA.ARIE
    * JULIANNE HOUGH
    * MARY MARY
    * MELANIE FIONA
    * BEBE WINANS
    * MYA
    * TYRESE GIBSON
    * ANTHONY HAMILTON
    * RAPHAEL SAADIQ
    * GLADYS KNIGHT
    * KERI HILSON
    * JOEL & BENJI MADDEN
    * HEART
    * BRANDY
    * P!NK
    * MUSIQ SOULCHILD
    * MILEY CYRUS
    * AKON
    * JORDIN SPARKS
    * CELINE DION
    * ROB THOMAS
    * KATHARINE McPHEE
    * JEFF BRIDGES
    * RANDY JACKSON
    * PATTI AUSTIN
    * KID CUDI
    * USHER
    * WILL.I.AM
    * KANYE WEST
    * LL COOL J
    * ISSAC SLADE (aka The Fray)
    * SNOOP DOGG
    * NICOLE RICHIE
    * TREY SONGZ
    * ETHAN BORTNICK
    * TARYLL JACKSON
    * TAJ JACKSON
    * TJ JACKSON
    * VINCE VAUGHN
    * DRAKE
    * FREDA PAYNE
    * FAITH EVANS
    * ROBIN THICKE
    * RASHIDA JONES
    * BARBRA STREISAND
    * JIMMY JEAN LOUIS
    * ENRIQUE IGLESIAS
    * ZAC BROWN
    * LIL WAYNE
    * TONY BENNETT
    * JOSH GROBAN
    * SEAN GARRETT
    * HARRY CONNICK, JR.
    * AL JARDINE
    * BONE THUGS AND HARMONY (BIZZY BONES)
    * AR RAHMEN
    * FERGIE
    * MARY J. BLIGE
    * ORIANTHI
    * MANN
    * NIPSEY HUSSLE
    * IYAZ
    * KEITH HARRIS
    * NIKKA COSTA
    * TONI BRAXTON
    * FARNSWORTH BENTLEY
    * PLAIN PAT
    * IL TRIO

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 9:03 pm

Cat

I checked the list b/c I really didn't think I did forget Stevie... he's not on it... I think you may have been thinking about Jamie foxx.

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/10 at 9:03 pm

2) with the exception of one person... the dude standing next to Harry Belefonte at about 4:20 and again at 5:56 I recognize everyone in the original

That's Dan Aykroyd.  On the other side of him is one of the members of Huey Lewis and the News.  No idea which one though, but it's definately not Huey himself LOL

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 9:05 pm

That's Dan Aykroyd.  On the other side of him is one of the members of Huey Lewis and the News.  No idea which one though, but it's definately not Huey himself LOL

with the glasses? green shirt? no way that did not look like dan ackroyd to me    :-[  ... oh well... at least I can say I knew everyone in the video now  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/10 at 9:14 pm

That's Dan Aykroyd alright.  Why was he even in that song anyway?  It was USA for Africa. 

Here's a bit of trivia:  In the 1987 movie Dragnet, Joe Friday (played by Aykroyd) questions how a Porn King can build his empire in the same city where they recorded 'We Are the World'

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/10 at 9:15 pm

That's Dan Aykroyd alright.  Why was he even in that song anyway?  It was USA for Africa. 

Here's a bit of trivia:  In the 1987 movie Dragnet, Joe Friday (played by Aykroyd) questions how a Porn King can build his empire in the same city where they recorded 'We Are the World'

nice  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/13/10 at 9:48 pm

I just skimmed the article but here is who sang in what order:

http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/02/12/we-are-the-world-remake-olympics/

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/10 at 12:03 am

Can Andy Dick sing in the chorus?
:D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/14/10 at 7:56 am

I checked the list b/c I really didn't think I did forget Stevie... he's not on it... I think you may have been thinking about Jamie foxx.

WHAT??!! I could have sworn that I saw/heard him. Maybe Jamie did a great impression.

I did forget yesterday to say that I did see Gladys Knight.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/14/10 at 9:19 am

I wish they woulda included gospel singer Willie Williams in this production.  (He's the guy who stars in Singsation every Sunday on WGN).

Written By: Henk on 02/14/10 at 9:37 am

Okay, where to start...?

First and foremost: it wasn't as bad as I expected (given the comments I've read so far on the internet). ;D

That said, this version clearly isn't/won't be as memorable as the original.

My comments:
1. You shouldn't be left wondering who the heck the boy is that sings the first lines (I know it's Justin Bieber - I'm just using this as an example  ;)).
2. 81 people = overkill!
3. Why did it take a month to come up with... nothing new?
4. Auto tune?!? WTF?!?
5. Whatever happened to Bruce Springsteen, Cyndi Lauper, Lionel Richie...? I know they try to give this a contemporary feel, but really...
6. Freda Payne?  :o Forget what I said about contemporary!

Written By: tv on 02/14/10 at 11:46 am

Okay, where to start...?

First and foremost: it wasn't as bad as I expected (given the comments I've read so far on the internet). ;D

My comments:
1. You shouldn't be left wondering who the heck the boy is that sings the first lines (I know it's Justin Bieber - I'm just using this as an example  ;)).
2. 81 people = overkill!
4. Auto tune?!? WTF?!?
5. Whatever happened to Bruce Springsteen, Cyndi Lauper, Lionel Richie...? I know they try to give this a contemporary feel, but really...
I agree it doesn't take 81 people to do a song.

As for Lionel Richie he's one of the executive producers of the song it says on the post that "snozberries" provided us on this thread. I think Cyndi Lauper's singing part could have been pulled off by Lady GaGa(if she was there) and Lionel's part would/could have gone to Mary J. Blige or "Musiq Soulchild"on this list that "Snozberries" provided if I had my own choice about it. Nobody could pull off doing Bruce Springteen's part on this list though,

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 12:36 am

As for Lionel Richie he's one of the executive producers of the song it says on the post that "snozberries" provided us on this thread. I think Cyndi Lauper's singing part could have been pulled off by Lady GaGa(if she was there) and Lionel's part would/could have gone to Mary J. Blige or "Musiq Soulchild"on this list that "Snozberries" provided if I had my own choice about it. Nobody could pull off doing Bruce Springteen's part on this list though,

Hi... I'm Q.... you can call me Q or snoz or snozberries... no need for quotes around my name I'm indeed real and not a hypothetical entity  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 12:40 am

Okay, where to start...?

My comments:
2. 81 people = overkill!
4. Auto tune?!? WTF?!?

I'm willing to bet the month had to do with scheduling.. when you're talking about 81 famous (or quasi famous) people then its hard to find a time when they are all available.  And I bet Quincy, Lionel and others didn't want to turn anyone away.  How do you say no Gladys sorry we don't need you to show up we only have room for you in the chorus anyway... you don't...

Hey Katherine McPhee & Jordin Sparks... you probably still have an idol following but we aren't really going to need you so just stay home- you're used to it anyway  ;D 

Nicole, my darling daughter, I appreciate you wanting to support dear ole dad but I'm pretty sure america thinks you can't sing (and they are probably right) so why not stay home and feed the baby... oh and maybe you could feed yourself while you're at it  :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/15/10 at 1:23 am

Lady Gaga and Cyndi Lauper are too busy going to talk shows telling women to make sure they get their men to use condoms to prevent AIDS for themselves.  lol

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/15/10 at 1:54 am

Good cause. timeless message but I must admit... Not a fan... Like the 80's version the BEST!
Thats me, stuck in the 1980's..... and LOVIN Every minute of it!!!  Hey, thats a song from the 1980's too... See what I told ya??? :D

Written By: Howard on 02/15/10 at 6:38 am

They totally ruined a good iconic song,Why didn't Quincy Jones just leave it the past for us to be remembered? Please Quincy you remake a song,It's not going to sound as good as it used to be in 1985,putting Michael Jackson in there is ok but it won't help much,the rapping towards the end ruined it,made my ears bleed.  :o :P

Written By: Howard on 02/15/10 at 6:44 am

Oh that's Wyclef Jean from The Fugees.

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 3:52 pm

so the chick on the guitar I didn't know is * ORIANTHI  she was slated to play guitar for MJ on the This Is It tour... I only know this cuz she was on the view today.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/10 at 4:19 pm

They totally ruined a good iconic song,Why didn't Quincy Jones just leave it the past for us to be remembered? Please Quincy you remake a song,It's not going to sound as good as it used to be in 1985,putting Michael Jackson in there is ok but it won't help much,the rapping towards the end ruined it,made my ears bleed.  :o :P

I was OK with a remake, but not this product.

And the Michael Jackson inclusion in the video, in my opinion, was gratuitous, cheap theatre and completely uncreative.  ENOUGH ALREADY! We know he's dead, no need to trot out his corpse every time you get a chance!

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/10 at 5:32 pm

And the Michael Jackson inclusion in the video, in my opinion, was gratuitous, cheap theatre and completely uncreative.  ENOUGH ALREADY! We know he's dead, no need to trot out his corpse every time you get a chance!

They only included Michael because he was a big part of the original.  Capitalizing on dead singers is a big thing these days

Natalie Cole did an unforgettable duet with her late dad in the 90s and won awards for it.  2Pac has had bigger success since he died than he did when he was alive, including a #1 hit in the UK with Elton John

Written By: 435wtr on 02/15/10 at 5:53 pm

I heard this song on the radio on my way to the mall in the car, and I started laughing at Wyclef's part, I just find the wails he does hilarious, no one said "the wails are a little much wyclef, relax" ?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/15/10 at 5:53 pm

Even Jay Z, is weighing in on it!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1631903/20100214/jay_z.jhtml

Written By: 435wtr on 02/15/10 at 5:56 pm

He's right, I applaud him for being honest and not lying and saying the new version is a masterpiece.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/15/10 at 6:11 pm

Good cause. timeless message but I must admit... Not a fan... Like the 80's version the BEST!

Agreed!

Written By: tv on 02/15/10 at 6:54 pm

Jay-Z gets smarter as he gets older!

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/16/10 at 2:12 am

Uh, the rapping wasnt what killed it... It was all that catterwalling meshed togther... i love Celine Dion but really, too too much.... It was like a stew with way too many flavors

The rap is ..... clear, u can understand what they were saying... no divas hitting those notes I wish only dogs could hear... LOL

I agree with u though, I think adding Michael was sorta of a nice touch but .... it was just not worth saving...
The Wyclef stuff was different........ to us but, at least it fit in with Haiti..............
I think they should have just reissued the old song and if they insist on making it more appealing for today, like show clips of the "new stars" lip singing.....
Maybe that would have worked! ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/16/10 at 5:23 am

Quincy Jones will do anything for money.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/16/10 at 8:08 am

I think what killed this recording was the complete lack of originality and spontanaety.  It was overthought.

The original WATW happened very quickly, the performers were cobbled together very quickly, and they did not have the time to try and overthink, or do some sort of homage to a former recording.  The original WATW certainly had a "cheese factor" but it was authentic cheese and that's what made it work.

The 2010 version was the product of artists who contrived to "get in on the action", the most offensive who was Wyclef Jean, who usually charges money to make appearances for his Haitian "charity" and whose various businesses curiously get alot of action from his "charity" (I imagine all appearances for WATW-2010 were without charge, though).  I can see them all hastily calling their agents saying "Hey they're making WATW-2010, you GOTTA get me in on this!!!!)

This group also seemed to have far less comraderie than the original had.  And yes, the original had the REAL Michael Jackson, who was irreplaceable and whose heart was a huge part of its success.

And this is why it is rare for a "remake" to ever do well.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/16/10 at 11:38 am

I think what killed this recording was the complete lack of originality and spontanaety.  It was overthought.

The original WATW happened very quickly, the performers were cobbled together very quickly, and they did not have the time to try and overthink, or do some sort of homage to a former recording.  The original WATW certainly had a "cheese factor" but it was authentic cheese and that's what made it work.

The 2010 version was the product of artists who contrived to "get in on the action", the most offensive who was Wyclef Jean, who usually charges money to make appearances for his Haitian "charity" and whose various businesses curiously get alot of action from his "charity" (I imagine all appearances for WATW-2010 were without charge, though).  I can see them all hastily calling their agents saying "Hey they're making WATW-2010, you GOTTA get me in on this!!!!)

This group also seemed to have far less comraderie than the original had.  And yes, the original had the REAL Michael Jackson, who was irreplaceable and whose heart was a huge part of its success.

And this is why it is rare for a "remake" to ever do well.

So very true

Written By: Howard on 02/16/10 at 2:40 pm

So where were the guys like Lionel Richie,Kenny Loggins,Kenny Rogers,Billy Joel,Cyndi Lauper,Tina Turner,Pointer Sisters,Diana Ross and all the others? Didn't they want to be a part of the 25th Anniversary? ???

Written By: Midas on 02/16/10 at 2:48 pm

I finally watched the remake.  

Although I understand and commend the idea of proceeds of sales of this recording going to help those in need, I have to wonder if this song is going to be remade every 25 or so years should there be some sort of world crisis?  

The rap was okay but seemed like a "Part 2" of the song, meaning if they had left it out and faded out, that would've been fine, or bring it in earlier, say at the bridge.

Still prefer the original version.  O0

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/16/10 at 2:55 pm

So where were the guys like Lionel Richie,Kenny Loggins,Kenny Rogers,Billy Joel,Cyndi Lauper,Tina Turner,Pointer Sisters,Diana Ross and all the others? Didn't they want to be a part of the 25th Anniversary? ???

Apparently, only current artists, need only to reply.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/10 at 3:26 pm

At that time they were current.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/16/10 at 6:29 pm

I have to wonder if this song is going to be remade every 25 or so years should there be some sort of world crisis?  

Come to think about it, isn't it about time for a remake of "Candle in the Wind" ? ???

Written By: snozberries on 02/16/10 at 6:49 pm

Uh, the rapping wasnt what killed it... It was all that catterwalling meshed togther... i love Celine Dion but really, too too much.... It was like a stew with way too many flavors

The rap is ..... clear, u can understand what they were saying... no divas hitting those notes I wish only dogs could hear... LOL

I agree with u though, I think adding Michael was sorta of a nice touch but .... it was just not worth saving...
The Wyclef stuff was different........ to us but, at least it fit in with Haiti..............
I think they should have just reissued the old song and if they insist on making it more appealing for today, like show clips of the "new stars" lip singing.....
Maybe that would have worked! ::)

and tony bennett... don't forget tony bennett!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/16/10 at 6:52 pm

Barbra's current? and Tony Bennett hasn't been current since 1968  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/16/10 at 6:53 pm

Come to think about it, isn't it about time for a remake of "Candle in the Wind" ? ???

yeah it is but no great icon worthy enough of the honor has died yet.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/17/10 at 5:21 am

and tony bennett... don't forget tony bennett!  ;D

OMG.. Tony Benett,He sucked.  :P

Written By: Howard on 02/17/10 at 5:22 am

Someone would have to ask Elton about that one.

Written By: tv on 02/18/10 at 6:17 pm

"We Are the World 25 For Haiti" debuts at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US (with 257,000 digiital downloads according to Wikipedia.)

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/10 at 8:31 pm

"We Are the World 25 For Haiti" debuts at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US (with 257,000 digiital downloads according to Wikipedia.)

what was number one? just out of curiosity

Written By: tv on 02/19/10 at 6:29 pm

what was number one? just out of curiosity
"Tik Tok" by "Kesha" was the #1 song.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/19/10 at 8:00 pm

I guess They WERE the World.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/10 at 8:30 pm

never heard of it.  ;D

Written By: Cory! on 02/19/10 at 10:27 pm

I sorta liked the new We Are The World...until it got to the rap part. :/
That just really upset me...

Written By: Howard on 02/20/10 at 6:29 am

I sorta liked the new We Are The World...until it got to the rap part. :/
That just really upset me...

Yeah,that's the problem with music these days,everything has to have a little rap in it,like that's really going to make the music sound better,please!  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/20/10 at 8:28 am

Yeah,that's the problem with music these days,everything has to have a little rap in it,like that's really going to make the music sound better,please!  ::)

Yeah and it always has to be "featuring" somebody.  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 02/20/10 at 8:30 am

And the title of the songs themselves always has some weird title

'Fo shizzle to the Hizzle' by Beatmaster Buttmunch featuring Lil' Crapbag and Wee Wee Peehead :D

Written By: Cory! on 02/20/10 at 9:20 am

And the title of the songs themselves always has some weird title

'Fo shizzle to the Hizzle' by Beatmaster Buttmunch featuring Lil' Crapbag and Wee Wee Peehead :D

lmfao! You are sooo right about that! xD

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/20/10 at 10:32 am

it wasn't so bad....actually gave me the chills here and there! lol.  I always love the thought of people coming together for a good cause..I dunno..a bit of warm fuzzies and stuff. lol.

It really rocked because Pink was in it! :)

Written By: ninny on 02/20/10 at 10:58 am

I'm really not into modern singers and what they sing, so would it be worth me even listening to. I love the original but then again I knew who they all were.

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/10 at 5:07 pm

I'm really not into modern singers and what they sing, so would it be worth me even listening to. I love the original but then again I knew who they all were.

I don't know I think its still worth a listen... they'll be about 5 people you recognize... I may have recognized 10  ;D  'cept for Tony Bennett its not as bad as people make it sound they just don't like cuz its too close too (yet not close enough too) the original  Honestly I dont think you can compare the two because music styles have changed in 25 yrs so of course its not going to be exactly the same.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/10 at 6:41 pm

Yeah somebody we don't hardly even know.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/20/10 at 8:31 pm

Back in the 1980's that also woild have been available in an extended 12" Dance Mix too.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/20/10 at 10:04 pm

I love how some of the artists in the song, that were popular artists at the time of the original, were not in the original:  The Beach Boys, Tony Bennett, Barbra Streisand, Philip Bailey, Janet Jackson, Patti Austin, Natalie Cole, Gladys Knight

I don't mind Tony Bennett's part in the song.  What ruins it for me is Wyclef Jean and his trilling vocals.  I like how he sings in Haitian, but why does he have to make his voice sound like a Chatty Cathy doll

Written By: Howard on 02/21/10 at 6:34 am

don't mind Tony Bennett's part in the song.  What ruins it for me is Wyclef Jean and his trilling vocals.  I like how he sings in Haitian, but why does he have to make his voice sound like a Chatty Cathy doll

I think that's what killed the first part of the song.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/21/10 at 9:02 am

I love how some of the artists in the song, that were popular artists at the time of the original, were not in the original:  The Beach Boys, Tony Bennett, Barbra Streisand, Philip Bailey, Janet Jackson, Patti Austin, Natalie Cole, Gladys Knight

I wonder why the Pimps did not perform with Gladys Knight for this record? ???

Written By: Howard on 02/21/10 at 6:42 pm

I wonder why the Pimps did not perform with Gladys Knight for this record? ???

Or How about most of The Jacksons or Pointer Sisters just like they did in 1985?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/10 at 7:01 pm

Or How about most of The Jacksons or Pointer Sisters just like they did in 1985?  ???

Well isn't June Pointer dead? I guess they could just ecit out all the dead people from the orginal and have them all sing...it'd be like a choir of angels.... MJ, June, Ray... anyone else?

Written By: Howard on 02/21/10 at 7:23 pm

Well isn't June Pointer dead? I guess they could just edit out all the dead people from the orginal and have them all sing...it'd be like a choir of angels.... MJ, June, Ray... anyone else?

Yes June Pointer died February 11th,2006.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/25/10 at 11:24 am

A better version of the remake, and better yet no auto tune!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hhX0KkQBW4&feature=player_embedded

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/25/10 at 1:03 pm

Yes June Pointer died February 11th,2006.

Thanx for pointing that out, Howard.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/10 at 7:55 pm

A better version of the remake, and better yet no auto tune!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hhX0KkQBW4&feature=player_embedded

A much better version,I like it.  :)

Written By: tv on 02/27/10 at 8:35 pm

"We Are the World For Haiti 25" slips from #2 to #6 this week on the US Billboard Hot 100 with 207,000 digital downloads. The thing is "We Are The World For Haiti 25" is not even in the Billboard Top 40 in terms of radio airplay. Digital Sales have really carried this song up to the top tier of the charts.

Written By: snozberries on 03/01/10 at 1:16 pm

On SNL Saturday...  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92os-OIsZws

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/01/10 at 1:41 pm

On SNL Saturday...  ;D

;D

Written By: Midas on 03/01/10 at 2:13 pm

On SNL Saturday...  ;D

I missed the intro! ;D  We kinda watched up 'til Weekend Update was over :D

Written By: Howard on 03/01/10 at 2:31 pm

On SNL Saturday...  ;D

HA! That was hilarious! ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 03/01/10 at 5:21 pm

On SNL Saturday...  ;D

;D That's the best version right there.

Written By: ninny on 04/15/10 at 5:11 pm

Okay this is gonna be fun.... not to take away from what they are trying to do but....  here's my commentary
BTW there are going to be some people I should know... I probably listen to their music but music stars don't interest me as much as TV and Movie stars so I often don't recognize them at first sight so If I say who is... and its an artist you know I listen to don't give me too hard of a time okay?  ;D

Who's the girl? Oh- that girl's a boy...
JENNIFER HUDSON... no clue who she's with... but Jen sounds good...
Who's that chick?
Josh Grobin right... not so bad?
TOny Bennett sounds awful
Mary J sounds good
Aw they needed to include MJ in this and janet looks hot. I love Janet...
Babs is a bit over the top... no?
No clue who that chick was.
and that dude sounded AWFUL
Jaimie Foxx!!! Sounds good
this guy with the accent is over the top
don't know that guy either it was okay...
Pink sounds Amazing
Did Brian McKnight shave his head
MJ good
USHER!!! Love Usher
did I say babs was over the top? Celine was too..
not gwen steffani... what's her name?.... oh yeah its fergie
who's playing guitar?
that chick with the long hair and the hand movement looks like Mya Rudolph but I know its not...
the black chick with the short hair I sooo know her but can't place it... they just showed her again before Lil- Wayne
BTW There is a reason why Lil Wayne raps... he can;'t sing
Too many group shots to comment'
Is that T-Pain or lil John? Or someone else.. the eletronic amplification is annoying
The rap is kinda cool... plus I see LL and Snoop so that makes me happy

Jenn Hudson has got the pipes... Simon Cowell should eat his words everytime she opens her mouth to sing..
Is that kanye?
can't place the women with the buns towards the end of the video...

all in all it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...

BTW- I had searched for the original We Are the world on itunes about two years or so ago and it wasn't avail. with all the talk about the new version I searched again and found the original for a buck twenty nine on itunes. I downloaded it.  8)

Your discription is great..I was saying the same..who the hell was that.sadly I think I only knew a handful of people and they were mostly white. I need to get out of the 70's & 80's ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/15/10 at 5:31 pm

Your discription is great..I was saying the same..who the hell was that.sadly I think I only knew a handful of people and they were mostly white. I need to get out of the 70's & 80's ;D

;D  yeah me too... 

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/16/10 at 10:48 pm

Leave me in the 80s y'all.

*listening to Oh Shelia at the moment* ;D

Written By: tv on 04/18/10 at 11:36 am

Leave me in the 80s y'all.

*listening to Oh Shelia at the moment* ;D
I was listening to "Oh Shelia" the other day.

Check for new replies or respond here...