inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Size Do You Consider Fat?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/13/10 at 5:14 pm

Hi Everyone!

I know that over the years, the nation's and even the world's perception of beauty and what is beautiful has changed dramtically. Also what is considred fat and skinny has changed too. In the 1950's Marylin Monroe was the woman of choice even though  she was voluptuous and had curves all over( around a size 10-12). Nowadays, the norm is skinny like Paris Hilton. (around a size 00-2) We're in a new decade, let's see where the general public stands.

http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/Job/Marilyn-Monroe-oversized-postcard--.jpg
Marylin

http://dyn.ifilm.com/resize/image/imgentity/6/4/0/6/64068.jpg
Paris

I want everyone's personal opinion. What size do you consider to be fat? and to be fair, I am a size 12 (dying to be an 8 LOL) Would you even consider me fat? LOL.

Thanks!

Subject: Re: What Size Do You Consider Fat?

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/13/10 at 7:00 pm

Hi

I'm so glad someone finally had the courage to bring this up, even though it's a rather complicated issue now a days... thanks for that. I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me, even though they won't post anything. I do expect it though. Here are my thoughts about it, based on my own experience and other actual professional person to person discussions, meaning not on the internet, that I have participated in the past about it. "Fat" is a word made up by people who are uneducated, and perhaps maybe to purposely discriminate against individuals who are of a bigger size because according to them they don't look "normal" or to their standard. There is not such a thing as fat. There is underweight, thin, average, plus-size(bigger than average), and overweight. Size twelve is not "fat" it is an average size average being from sizes 10 to 14. A plus-size is someone who is a size 16 to 28 maybe even to a 33 depending on their measurements.

Since I don't have much time to post today, just wanted to edit and say I don't mean you are ignorant for using the word "fat", I mean they were made up years ago by people who didn't know any better, just wanted to get that point across lol.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/13/10 at 8:15 pm

"Average Size" has nothing to do with "fat".

The average weight of people in the USA is ever-increasing.  So if we say that "average" cannot be "fat" then we are in for a rude awakening.

As for Paris or Marilyn, neither of them ever did it for me...  If you're gonna trot out in a skimpy bathing suit, then you should have (a) enough to generally fill it but (b) not be spilling out all over.

Written By: wildcard on 02/13/10 at 8:45 pm

Weird Al size           

Written By: Bobby on 02/13/10 at 11:07 pm

Well...Fat or skinny depends on who you are trying to impress. People like to feel valued and weight is often a benchmark for it, not realising that everybody has a different idea of what a perfect weight is.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/10 at 12:04 am

You're not fat unless a bowling ball will orbit around you.
8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/14/10 at 8:00 am

The term "fat" or "thin" is not a "one size fits all". It depends on your height, your bone structure, etc. One person may be a size 12 and look really good. Someone else could wear the exact size but looks overweight. I think it is how you carry your weight and numbers can't determine that.

Cat

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/14/10 at 3:58 pm

"Average Size" has nothing to do with "fat".

The average weight of people in the USA is ever-increasing.  So if we say that "average" cannot be "fat" then we are in for a rude awakening.

As for Paris or Marilyn, neither of them ever did it for me...  If you're gonna trot out in a skimpy bathing suit, then you should have (a) enough to generally fill it but (b) not be spilling out all over.

Hm..That could be right. But in today's society whenever someone says the word fat we think of over weight people. I learned that at health center and the part about the sizes I got from a pamphlet that was handed out. lol.  I just thought it would be interesting to share. I only said that about the word "fat" because someone I know says it all the time so it kind of stuck with me I think.

I wish there were more topics about this! Apollonia you're my hero for the week :))

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/15/10 at 8:33 am

I wish there were more topics about this! Apollonia you're my hero for the week :))

Check out the Tenacious Tuxedo Talk section. We have a lot of serious discussions.

Cat

Written By: Stompgal on 02/17/10 at 8:25 am

I know this may sound offensive, but sometimes I consider a UK ladies' size 20 and up to be fat and I don't normally use this term; I tend to use plus size. My mum has a friend at work who calls Evans a 'Fat Shop' because they stock women's clothing from about a size 14 - 32.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/17/10 at 3:27 pm

Definetly prefer Marylin.

What I consider fat... hmm... Right now I am overweight(by about 30+ pounds), so I do consider myself fat, but not to an extreme.(I have started doing alittle exercise biking though, just need to get a more thourough workout plan ready soon)

But overall it's more dependent on body type.

Written By: karen on 02/17/10 at 8:47 pm

I know this may sound offensive, but sometimes I consider a UK ladies' size 20 and up to be fat and I don't normally use this term; I tend to use plus size. My mum has a friend at work who calls Evans a 'Fat Shop' because they stock women's clothing from about a size 14 - 32.

And that's why I don't shop in Doroty Perkins any more.  I was trying to buy a UK 16 skirt in a hurry, went into Dotty P and asked what skirts in that size they had.  The assitant told me that Evans the outsize shop stocked my size

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/18/10 at 3:03 pm

Check out the Tenacious Tuxedo Talk section. We have a lot of serious discussions.

Cat

Haven't gotten around to look there yet but I will, thanks  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/20/10 at 11:53 pm

I think it depends on your height, bone structure, and overall body. You can't even trust the BMI!

Next time someone tells you your fat and if you know you're not, then call them an ignoramus!

Written By: Bobby on 02/21/10 at 2:30 pm

Some shops/brands are very cruel in the way they label sizes. I'll never forget being 17 stone and struggling with an XL shirt that was clearly designed for a person who had a M or L build. I have the theory that these brand name companies do not want their products to be associated with overweight people. It makes sense in a way. If a brand company starts producing clothing for all the weight brackets then they will be just another company.

Written By: Gis on 02/21/10 at 4:33 pm

And that's why I don't shop in Doroty Perkins any more.  I was trying to buy a UK 16 skirt in a hurry, went into Dotty P and asked what skirts in that size they had.  The assitant told me that Evans the outsize shop stocked my size
It's a shame to boycott a shop just because of one ignorant assistant. For information DP's go up to a size 22 so I would have asked to speak to a manager if she would have said that to me!

Personally I find size zeros repulsive, way too thin. Made worse that the magazine pictures these girls strive to copy are manipulated almost beyond reality. On the other hand if someone is so big they can hardly move then that is equally as unhealthy.

Written By: gibbo on 02/21/10 at 4:41 pm

Some shops/brands are very cruel in the way they label sizes. I'll never forget being 17 stone and struggling with an XL shirt that was clearly designed for a person who had a M or L build. I have the theory that these brand name companies do not want their products to be associated with overweight people. It makes sense in a way. If a brand company starts producing clothing for all the weight brackets then they will be just another company.

Yes...it is a conspiracy!  I tried to get a more trendy shirt the other day and found that they were all pretty much made for the younger guys with the slimmer waistlines. The guy selling the clothes directed me to the other side of the shop where the 'older' styled cothes were (I think he used the term 'classic'). I had a look and advised him that they might be 'classic' but they had no style! He then tried to get me into one of the larger sized shirts (from the young side of his shop). It was an XL sized shirt and I swear I would have split it if I'd tried to flex my muscles...it was THAT tight!  ..... and I no longer consider myself obese...still over weight...but not obese.

Obese sounds like a harsh word but a doctor told me I was borderline obese several  years ago.... and I was only 95 kg's then. At 6' 2" ...that is barely overweight and I was a bit taken aback at his comment.

My present weight has come down from 105 kg to 95 kg ... and I hope to get to around 90 kg within the next few months.

I prefer to think of weight now in terms of health rather than image.

Written By: Bobby on 02/21/10 at 5:18 pm

Yes...it is a conspiracy!  I tried to get a more trendy shirt the other day and found that they were all pretty much made for the younger guys with the slimmer waistlines. The guy selling the clothes directed me to the other side of the shop where the 'older' styled cothes were (I think he used the term 'classic'). I had a look and advised him that they might be 'classic' but they had no style! He then tried to get me into one of the larger sized shirts (from the young side of his shop). It was an XL sized shirt and I swear I would have split it if I'd tried to flex my muscles...it was THAT tight!  ..... and I no longer consider myself obese...still over weight...but not obese.

That's right. You don't fit into the demographic these brands want. They are saying; "We want our clothes to be desirable. Fat people aren't desirable so we don't want our clothes to be associated with them".

Obese sounds like a harsh word but a doctor told me I was borderline obese several  years ago.... and I was only 95 kg's then. At 6' 2" ...that is barely overweight and I was a bit taken aback at his comment.

I remember my doctor was telling me the same, I was most definitely overweight but I didn't look too bad because my frame carried me. I think doctors deal with an arbitrary BMI index chart which means if you are a+b then you =c.

My present weight has come down from 105 kg to 95 kg ... and I hope to get to around 90 kg within the next few months.

That is great! All that walking and running is paying off for you. The longer you do it, the more easier it will get to lose weight. I weighed myself today and now heading for 14 stone - I lost about 8lbs in a month and a half and I have cut nothing down and even had a couple of nights out drinking.

I prefer to think of weight now in terms of health rather than image.

Muscular men weigh more than the average man. Are they obese and unhealthy? Well...I suppose that depends on what 'supplements' they use, lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...