inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Avatar, the death of cinema?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/13/10 at 11:19 pm

Someone posted on the internet, that Avatar, due it's special effects, and everything, will lead to the death of cinema.

So, what's everyone else's opinon?

???

Subject: Re: Avatar, the death of cinema?

Written By: Bobby on 02/13/10 at 11:26 pm

I don't really understand what they mean Avatar being the 'death of cinema'. In our homes we are capable of having blue ray discs capable of doing amazing things with a 1080dp HD television and surround sound if neccessary yet people still avidly go to the cinema to be wowed by a big screen. CGI is more transferable to television than 3D however impressive it seems.

As mentioned before, I wasn't actually wowed by the 3D of Avatar so perhaps that influenced my decision.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/10 at 2:59 am

American cinema is dying, but so is the rest of America.  That's my grim prognosis.  Whether that becomes true or not might up to us Americans, but I think the dye has been cast. 

I rarely got to the movies any more.  Cinema has just become a bigger, louder way of watching television or playing video games.  It's pretty empty.

The last film I saw in the cinema was Terry Gilliam's "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnissus," which is certainly worth watching on the big screen, however, it might not be at a theater near you.
:(

Written By: sonikuu on 02/14/10 at 4:05 am

Avatar's special effects won't kill off cinema any more than the special effects of Star Wars did back in the day.  Sure, you might get some movies who put their effort into the special effects without focusing on the story, but that's a trend that has been occurring for a long time now.

Written By: tv on 02/14/10 at 11:56 am

Why are you talking about the death of cinema and the movie "Avatar" in the same sentence I mean "Avatar" has made a load of money at the box office.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/14/10 at 3:38 pm

Why are you talking about the death of cinema and the movie "Avatar" in the same sentence I mean "Avatar" has made a load of money at the box office.

I wasn't.  Someone else brought up it on the net. I thought it was a interesting question, to ask.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/10 at 4:30 pm

I won't say that cinema is DEAD, but it certainly is dying as the computer nerds allow uncreative directors to puke out all these "special effects" movies.

For my money, all these special effects are nothing but a crutch for screenwriters, cinematographers, and directors who do not know how to script and film a story properly.  So they have somebody sit down at a computer terminal and do these unrealistic special effects.  The special effects usually are not believeable (regardless of how skillful they may appear, if they violate the laws of physics, they are unbelieveable).  Special effects have no "soul".

Disclosure: I could be biased... I have to disclose that one of the top names in CGI, who has multiple Oscars for CGI, was a high school classmate of mine, and at the time he got very good grades but, again to me was "soulless" and thought he was this big know-it-all, a very pretentious dude.  However his mathematics skills were a notch below that of your old pal LyricBoy.  Seems that this dude and the school administration had him pegged as the Valedictorian of our class, it was a lock.  I approached the Principal and outlined the error in their calculation methodology, and somebody else (a very good friend of mine) was named Valedictorian.  8)  Heh heh... Been 35 years and I still love it!  :P  I like to stir the pot.

Maybe if the CGI guy spent more time doing his math homework and less time looking through that telescope that his parents put in his bedroom ceiling and he coulda been Valedictorian after all!  ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/16/10 at 6:01 pm

"Avatar" will help the cinema rather than kill it.

Remakes and Sequels kill the cinema!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/16/10 at 9:13 pm

"Avatar" will help the cinema rather than kill it.

Remakes and Sequels kill the cinema!

Bad ones at that!

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/12 at 1:29 pm

No, films are still being made in the usual fashion.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/12 at 7:02 pm

I think pop culture needs a 'Renaissance'! It needs a rebirth.

But what happens before a rebirth? Usually a dark age, which we pretty much are in now when it comes to pop culture.

Written By: Creeder on 01/15/12 at 1:35 pm

Yes, there are good movies, but the "magic" of the cinema is gone. There are so many movies to watch (I watch 1 new movie every day) that the whole emotion is watered down. I remember when I first saw "Jurassic Park" at the cinema - it blew me away. If I saw it today I'll just say "it's ok".
Same thing happened with music.

Check for new replies or respond here...