inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Undercover Boss

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:03 pm

CEO goes out, incognito, and spends the day (or perhaps days I've just started it) working entry level positions for their organization.

I'm watching the first one Waste Management now - it aired after the super bowl but I missed it because of the game going over or something so I'm watching Friday's Re-run.

Anyway- this boss talks about how his doctor failed not knowing how to follow a proper procedure which left his daughter developmentally disabled. He says its important to him that his employees know how to do their job so they don't cause harm to someone.

I wonder if this guy watched all his training videos and stuff before coming to work?

Well I'm going to watch and will comment more later.

Subject: Re: Undercover Boss

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:07 pm

Wow... for every minute you are late you get docked two minutes pay? How is that fair!  Kevin the recycling mngr is gonna be in trouble  ;D

and you know that Pres makes 6 figures... and the people on the line probably make $8 an hour... if that.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/10 at 4:10 pm

Yeah, I saw the Waste Management one too.  

I've always said that if I were hired to run a company, I would do the "undercover" thing for a month before actually reporting for the real job.  Doubt I'll ever get THAT chance though.   ;D

One thing bothered me, he was all disturbed because that woman had to pee in a tin can and he said something about "we need to consider the needs of women more".  WTF?  Does this mean that he's OK with MEN peeing in a tin can?  I don't think the issue here is men/women but rather providing enough break time for ANY worker so they don't have to whiz on the sly.

The other thing that bothers me is that he was so nice to the "overworked lady" even though you know that there have to be thousands of people in his organization who are in a similar situation... that is, hard working 40 hrs a week and not making enough dinero to support their family.  This young lady got taken care of, but the rest of the slaves are still rowing in the galley below...  :-\\

The other thing that makes this a LITTLE unrealistic is that each plant has advanced notice of a "documentary" being filmed.  My guess is the plant manager sets up the "visitor" with somebody that he knows is not gonna F-up too much, so if anything, the boss's experienec is going to be BETTER than the average schnook who takes an entry-level job at the company.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the guy got a real eye opener anyway.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:14 pm

Watching the trash pick up day... Walter is not very forthcoming with the training is he? 

I think Larry had a valid question about how you keep the trash from flying out of the bag (with all the wind) and Walter had no advice for him.  ::)

I don't care about Walter's illness.... if this is someone's first day you at least teach them what techniques you've learned.  I bet Walter couldn't do a bag in 10 minutes on his first day  :P

Makes me wonder how many other people Walter has fired without giving them any constructive assistance

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/10 at 4:16 pm

Watching the trash pick up day... Walter is not very forthcoming with the training is he? 

I think Larry had a valid question about how you keep the trash from flying out of the bag (with all the wind) and Walter had no advice for him.  ::)

I don't care about Walter's illness.... if this is someone's first day you at least teach them what techniques you've learned.  I bet Walter couldn't do a bag in 10 minutes on his first day   :P

Makes me wonder how many other people Walter has fired without giving them any constructive assistance

Yeah, Walter is a dick.  Put me on that job and he'd be the first thing I'd stuff in that bag.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:24 pm

Yeah, Walter is a dick.  Put me on that job and he'd be the first thing I'd stuff in that bag.  ;D

;D

Nice that Larry wants to help Jacqueline (the employee who's doing the job of three people, battled 5 cancers, has three familes under one roof and is losing her house) but my guess is most of his employees are facing similar or even worse... Jackie just got lucky that larry came to her job site so now she's on his radar.

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:26 pm

gotta love watching the prez suck crap out of an outhouse and scrubbing the john.  ;D

at least this guy - I missed his name-  he's a good boss he worked with larry and showed him how to do the job and he complimented him and even tho larry didn't do the best job he knew larry did the best he could do...  Bet these people all got xmas bonuses from Larry  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:29 pm

Wonder if Janice crapped herself when she found out Larry was the Prez  ;D  cuz she's pretty vocal about all that she hates about the job... this is good info for Larry but still-  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:29 pm

where the hell do you go to pee in a can when you are a woman?

Written By: Dagwood on 02/15/10 at 4:30 pm

My sister saw this on Oprah.  I guess the lady had customers that were okay with her sneaking into their backyard to do the deed.

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:31 pm

WTF.... this woman had a speech prepared? production must have told the people on the route that they could be on TV  :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/10 at 4:32 pm

Same place you go to pee in a can when you're a man, I guess.  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:32 pm

oh goody!!! we get to see the reveal! that's awesome! 

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:33 pm

those senior execs were not buying Larry's new direction  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:35 pm

walter was totally tripping over himself cuz he fired the boss!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:36 pm

yep... Janice just crapped her pants  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:37 pm

He's not giving Walter paid time off to help others in dialysis...  he's paying Walter to stay off of the job site cuz he's a negative entity.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/10 at 4:38 pm

Can you imagine how many under paid, screwed-over Waste Management employees are bitching and moaning now, expecting the same treatment as these folks?

I bet the HR department over there is having a fit.

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:55 pm

Phone call interruption...

the recycle manager just crapped his pants too  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:55 pm

Can you imagine how many under paid, screwed-over Waste Management employees are bitching and moaning now, expecting the same treatment as these folks?

I bet the HR department over there is having a fit.

Seriously!  One day with the boss and Jackie gets a promotion and a raise... in what universe does that happen?  :o

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 4:59 pm

this is a good show... I'm going on to the Hooters ep now.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/10 at 5:11 pm

Seriously!  One day with the boss and Jackie gets a promotion and a raise... in what universe does that happen?  :o

Under different circumstances this would be seen as a classic "Fellatio Alger" story.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:15 pm

Under different circumstances this would be seen as a classic "Fellatio Alger" story.   ;D

;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:18 pm

the Hooters CEO has two daughters? Wonder what he'd say if his daughters wanted to be Hooters Ho's  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:21 pm

wow... the exec has to stay at a budget hotel... no wonder the other guy couldn't sleep.. the mattresses in cheap hotels suck  especially when you're used to the good ones..

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:22 pm

the boss is late for the first day  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:24 pm

"they let you work this slow doing construction?"  ;D

that manager can really bark some orders  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:29 pm

so two women have told them that Hooters is degrading to women.... and the CEO looks shocked.  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:30 pm

One had a good point about bringing the kids there.  I've been to hooters once- I don't remember if the food was good or bad. I just remember feeling sad for the women.

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:31 pm

He just said he would let his daughters work at hooters... he lies... no way when his girls become 18 he'd be comfortable putting them out there like that... no way

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:36 pm

BAM... that manager is annoying...

Uniform Inspection sounds suspect eh?

dude totally just checked out one of those girls  boobs.... and condescending much?  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:36 pm

that manager dude is a douche  >:(

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:37 pm

here come the reindeer games...  how frigging demoralizing... Sexual Harassment Law Suit here I come

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:39 pm

The girls have to fit into an XXS or an XS and he's gonna make them eat?  okay that's not the horrifying part of the reindeer games but still.. its a valid argument for additionally cruel and unusual punishment  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:40 pm

I thought Janice's reveal was going to be goo... this is way better... that dude better get fired.  Now tell me you want your daughter to be a Hooter's girl ::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:42 pm

Sometimes as a manager you gotta get dirty... sometimes as a Ceo you do too!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:45 pm

Wonder what hooters girls do when they get preggers? I mean most jobs you can work thru most of your pregnancy... but a hooters girl would probably have to stop working once they begin to show...

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 5:49 pm

Boss just found out he lost touch with his workers... ya think?

God I wish they'd do something like this at my job... not that the Chief could go undercover but I'd love to see the admin have to spend 10 hours in dispatch with no breaks... and no food.

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 6:08 pm

Paid vacation for Marcie, charitable donation for the marine, and publicity for the hooters girls... now lets see if Jimbo gets fired!

nope...just reprimanded  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/10 at 6:40 pm

that manager dude is a douche  >:(

In my world that dude woulda been fired immediately.  >:(

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 6:42 pm

mine to..

Written By: Dagwood on 02/15/10 at 7:12 pm

nope...just reprimanded  ::)

I bet they just didn't want to fire him on tv, just to protect them from any legal battles.

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 7:16 pm

I bet they just didn't want to fire him on tv, just to protect them from any legal battles.

good point. They didn't show his stuff at the end when they did the outdoor reveal... I bet he got written up and is being watched closely. truth is corporate can't fire him anyway because it was a franchise store but the franchise owners probably didn't like corporate raining down on their heads.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/15/10 at 7:18 pm

good point. They didn't show his stuff at the end when they did the outdoor reveal... I bet he got written up and is being watched closely. truth is corporate can't fire him anyway because it was a franchise store but the franchise owners probably didn't like corporate raining down on their heads.

It wouldn't be fun.  I think Cody was out in his truck on the phone with the franchise owner while the "competition" was still going on.  Jimbo is a douche who should be fired.

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 7:21 pm

It wouldn't be fun.  I think Cody was out in his truck on the phone with the franchise owner while the "competition" was still going on.  Jimbo is a douche who should be fired.

yeah he was... did you see Jimbo's body language during the reveall? totally defensive.  They say he changed his style but if he did I bet he doesn't do so for long  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 02/15/10 at 7:23 pm

yeah he was... did you see Jimbo's body language during the reveall? totally defensive.  They say he changed his style but if he did I bet he doesn't do so for long  ;D

Hopefully his employees see the show and realize that they can sue...that ought to keep him in check. ;)

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/10 at 7:30 pm

Hopefully his employees see the show and realize that they can sue...that ought to keep him in check. ;)

I know I would... especially now that Reindeer games has been captured on video. If he was willing to do that on camera can you imagine what he must have done off camera?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/16/10 at 8:11 am

I know I would... especially now that Reindeer games has been captured on video. If he was willing to do that on camera can you imagine what he must have done off camera?

Yeah.  Jimbo struck me as a real sleazeball, and I was thinking the same thing... what does he do when there's not a camera present.

I can see him taking a new employee to the side and saying "Hey baby, let me show you how I make the special sauce."  ::)

Written By: karen on 02/16/10 at 9:12 am

this is a good show... I'm going on to the Hooters ep now.

I watched the Hooters ep

Written By: karen on 02/16/10 at 9:12 am

the Hooters CEO has two daughters? Wonder what he'd say if his daughters wanted to be Hooters Ho's  ::)

You get to find out in the show

Written By: karen on 02/16/10 at 9:13 am

the boss is late for the first day  ::)

I was surprised at that

Written By: karen on 02/16/10 at 9:14 am

BAM... that manager is annoying...

Uniform Inspection sounds suspect eh?

dude totally just checked out one of those girls  boobs.... and condescending much?  ::)

I get that he feels there is a 'corporate' look to the girls but there are much better ways of doing this.

Written By: karen on 02/16/10 at 9:15 am

Wonder what hooters girls do when they get preggers? I mean most jobs you can work thru most of your pregnancy... but a hooters girl would probably have to stop working once they begin to show...

They could wear the crop top and let their belly be on show for everyone!

Written By: karen on 02/16/10 at 9:16 am

I was surprised that he wasn't.  I think they will be keeping an eye on him more now

Written By: snozberries on 02/16/10 at 8:11 pm

They could wear the crop top and let their belly be on show for everyone!

;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/10 at 10:47 pm

7 -11 tonite.

Not a bad ep.  Can't believe this guy changed these peoples so much.

He moved the artist guy to marketing (I didn't think his art work was bad but not terribly wonderful either  :-\\

The kid he made a consultant to ten stores

and the biggest one... He gave that truck driver his own franchise  :o    That driver had a really great attitude tho. God I wish I felt that good about my own job.

Written By: snozberries on 03/28/10 at 10:12 pm

The Amusement Park episode....

I started out (in the intro) not liking the boss too much... he seemed kind of arogant... but WOW...

I am actually in tears watching this one -    I can't believe he offered that kid a full ride to school plus is allowing him to continue to earn his 40hr a week salary while he's in school...
that was awesome!

also nice that he has the one dude developing the "captain's training course for the duck tour- I've seen them when I was in Dc a few years back but never went on one

and gave the woman a raisse and some furniture- pays to do a good job for the boss- even is you don't know he's watching  ;D

and starting an assistance program for single parents  and helping that dude get his flood damaged home renovated... it was nothing but good news all around.  8)

Written By: karen on 03/29/10 at 8:18 am

This weeks episode started half an hour later than usual here (not sure what programme over-ran) so I only watched the first half.  I'm going to try and find it on-line to catch up

Written By: snozberries on 03/29/10 at 1:27 pm

This weeks episode started half an hour later than usual here (not sure what programme over-ran) so I only watched the first half.  I'm going to try and find it on-line to catch up

college basketball. I anticipated the overage and adjusted my dvr. Sorry shouldve told you this would happen. At least march madness is down to the final four.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/29/10 at 8:03 pm

Last night was the first time I watched since the first episode. I don't like this show because they always seem to
find a poor Chuck with a sob story to focus on. every employee has a sob story, what about them? That park has
no other person on it's payroll that's working their way through school? No one else has a house that needs repair?
If I worked for that company and found out that someone with the exact same job title got a raise simply because
they had a sob story I'd be mighty pissed. To me, this show is just trying to humanize the corporate monster. You
can put all the perfume you want on a pile of sh*t but it will still be just a pile of sh*t.

Written By: snozberries on 03/29/10 at 9:40 pm

Last night was the first time I watched since the first episode. I don't like this show because they always seem to
find a poor Chuck with a sob story to focus on. every employee has a sob story, what about them? That park has
no other person on it's payroll that's working their way through school? No one else has a house that needs repair?
If I worked for that company and found out that someone with the exact same job title got a raise simply because
they had a sob story I'd be mighty pissed. To me, this show is just trying to humanize the corporate monster. You
can put all the perfume you want on a pile of sh*t but it will still be just a pile of sh*t.

this is true but I choose to look at it as luck of the draw...its like buying the winning lotto ticket or something.
Plus you have to look at work ethic. That woman (the mom who got the raise) was hoofing it and putting forth a good effort. Whether or not she works like that all the time is unknown but the truth is- work ethic (at least in my experience) is not universal.

When I first started working I used to beg my boss for stuff to do cuz I couldn't stand just sitting idle. My coworkers barely got the expected work done let alone looked for more so in that case I was the hardest working employee that movie theater had...

now- I don't try so hard...I'm older and wiser and know what needs to be done so I pace myself. Truth is I'm on the internet at work far more than I should be and I have tons of projects to complete...yet.... I'm still the hardest working dispatcher there because the others are on the internet all the time- and only work on projects when they are assigned to them.... I got my promotion because I saw a need for stuff  that was grossly out of date and I started organizing it....in between visits to the internet... so, I feel like I could work harder but since I work harder than everyone else I don't sweat it so much.  ;D

and....at least in this.... the employee assistance program (the one that got the guy 10K for his home) is avail to every employee in the company...its for help during a hardship... I doubt everyone gets 10k but at least there's something there for everyone...

and the daycare program will be available to all single parents.... I wonder is two income household parents who make below average salaries can also partake....

and sure there are a ton of employees who would've liked the scholarship....but how many of them are considering a career theme park attraction design? and how many people do you know have the same job at 21 that they took when they were 15???  Honestly, I scoffed when I heard he'd been working at the theme park for 6 years.... I judged him for lack of ambition but when he talked about his dream of designing rides and wanting to be CEO it all made sense.

Check for new replies or respond here...