inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kevin Smith oversized? ejected from flight

Written By: ninny on 02/15/10 at 4:10 pm

Kevin Smith says he's "way fat," but that shouldn't stop him from flying.

The director and actor says a pilot ejected him from a Southwest Airlines flight from Oakland to Burbank, Calif., saying he didn't fit properly in a single seat.

Smith raised a stink about the incident on his Twitter page Sunday, saying "I'm way fat, but I'm not there just yet," and "If you look like me, you may be ejected from Southwest Air."

He posted a picture of himself sitting on the plane with his cheeks puffed out.

Southwest says it "Customer of Size" policy require travelers must be able to fit safely and comfortably in one seat or make other arrangements.

After a storm of angry online comments from Smith and his fans, the airline issued an apology first from its own Twitter account and later in a statement on its Web site titled "Not So Silent Bob," a jovial jab at the Silent Bob character Smith plays in many of his films.

"We would like to echo our tweets and again offer our heartfelt apologies to you," the statement said.

The airline said it also accommodated Smith on a later flight, gave him a $100 voucher and apologized by phone.

Both Smith and the airline acknowledged that he had bought two seats for his original flight from Oakland, where he had spoken at the Macworld Expo conference.

But he was flying standby in order to catch an earlier flight, and only one was available.

Smith insisted that he was still able to put both armrests down and buckle his seat belt, which is Southwest's standard.

Smith is the director of the new Bruce Willis movie "Cop Out," and previously directed the films "Clerks" and "Chasing Amy."

Subject: Re: Kevin Smith oversized? ejected from flight

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/10 at 4:11 pm

If he was spilling out into the next passenger's seating space, then the airline was fully justified in its action.

Written By: Jessica on 02/15/10 at 4:25 pm

If he was spilling out into the next passenger's seating space, then the airline was fully justified in its action.

He wasn't.  Seatbelt fit and he passed the Southwest test of the armrests being down.

Written By: Jessica on 02/15/10 at 4:26 pm

For the record, I'm bigger than Kevin Smith and have flown Southwest, while using a seatbelt extender.  I wasn't booted off for "safety reasons".

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/10 at 4:35 pm

He wasn't.  Seatbelt fit and he passed the Southwest test of the armrests being down.

Having flown hundreds of times, I can tell you that I have sat next to many an overweight person whose armrests were down and yet they flowed into my space.  It ain't no picnic...

Aso the issue of "safety" I don't know what Southwest is talking about.  But as to the comfort of fellow passengers, I can attest that it is not right to have passengers spilling out into others' space.

Written By: ninny on 02/15/10 at 7:02 pm

I've heard that some airlines and even ambulance corps want to charge extra for "oversized" people, as long as you fit in the seat and can buckle I don't think this is fair.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/15/10 at 8:50 pm

Fatness as a safety issue?  Are they worried, that excess human weight, would crash a plane?

::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/10 at 8:50 pm

I thought a bigshot like Kevin Smith would have booked first class where they don't herd you about like cattle...or so I'm told.
:-\\

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/15/10 at 9:18 pm

I am kind of overweight, but luckily not "too fat" to fly.

Written By: Jessica on 02/15/10 at 10:11 pm

Having flown hundreds of times, I can tell you that I have sat next to many an overweight person whose armrests were down and yet they flowed into my space.  It ain't no picnic...

Aso the issue of "safety" I don't know what Southwest is talking about.  But as to the comfort of fellow passengers, I can attest that it is not right to have passengers spilling out into others' space.

He was also able to buckle the seatbelt without an extender (which, to me anyways, is an indicator that he isn't that big), which leads me to believe that his weight had nothing to do with him being thrown off the flight.  Someone just didn't like him, and I'm sure that someone is going to have all kinds of hell rain down on them when it is found out.

I thought a bigshot like Kevin Smith would have booked first class where they don't herd you about like cattle...or so I'm told.
:-\\

He said he used Southwest because they were cheap and the flight was only an hour.

Sorta off-topic, but still near to it, what the hell is wrong with people?  I read the story on CNN and read all the comments, and I was just sickened.  Do people really feel like that about the obese?  My God, it was awful.  "Go exercise, stop eating, take this, you can lose weight if you wanted to..." seriously, are people that f*cking clueless?  The name calling, the obscene comments, the taunting....horrible.  God, no wonder I'm turning into a hermit if those comments represent humanity.

I'm done now. :P

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/16/10 at 2:16 am

F*** SOUTHWEST!!!!!!!!!!!! Period...I mean really, that anyone even flies anymore is beyond me ... I know, in some cases you HAVE too but, those seats are ridiculous!!! And before anyone decides to FAT BASH.... its not about fat, I mean, look at the leg room... God Forbid you are over 6 ft tall...
Why on earth does this airline still exist ???
Im a Big fan of Kevin Smith , no pun intended and I say once again...................... F*** SouthWest....
Pardon my rude language. 8-P

Written By: ninny on 02/16/10 at 6:26 am

Sorta off-topic, but still near to it, what the hell is wrong with people?  I read the story on CNN and read all the comments, and I was just sickened.  Do people really feel like that about the obese?  My God, it was awful.  "Go exercise, stop eating, take this, you can lose weight if you wanted to..." seriously, are people that f*cking clueless?  The name calling, the obscene comments, the taunting....horrible.  God, no wonder I'm turning into a hermit if those comments represent humanity.

I know, it's like if your a big person they treat you like a second class citizen. I'm over 200lbs I have a brain (for the most part), I like sports, I'm married have kids and a grandkid, and I have emotions, so should I be treated any worse than say someone who is 120lbs. I think not.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/16/10 at 11:37 am

I know, it's like if your a big person they treat you like a second class citizen. I'm over 200lbs I have a brain (for the most part), I like sports, I'm married have kids and a grandkid, and I have emotions, so should I be treated any worse than say someone who is 120lbs. I think not.

I totally agrere with the 2 posts above mine... I mean, the thing is, u look at the real statistics of what people in our country look like and it BLOWS my mind how people make those kind of comments, take about HYPOCRITES!... I mean, I know its off topic and I dont need a MOD telling me what I can and cant say so ill make it brief... Weight and gay... the last 2 acceptable prejudice in this country... ITS a JOKE!
I love how the airline apologizes and tries to give $100 to Kevin for the misunderstanding....... thats the going rate to right it when u HUMILIATE someone!!!
Cheapskates!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/16/10 at 2:54 pm

I know.  It's sucks being overweight. You not only have to worry about health problems, but also have to deal with rude comments, people staring at you, and being told "lose weight, eat less, don't be so ******** lazy".

It's also seemly acceptable to poke fun at the overweight, because what are they going to do?

I agree, obesity, epecially childhood obesity, is a serious problem, that needs to dealt with, but the general public, at times, don't make it any easier.

Fight the power, Kevin!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/10 at 5:09 pm

He was also able to buckle the seatbelt without an extender (which, to me anyways, is an indicator that he isn't that big), which leads me to believe that his weight had nothing to do with him being thrown off the flight.  Someone just didn't like him, and I'm sure that someone is going to have all kinds of hell rain down on them when it is found out.

He said he used Southwest because they were cheap and the flight was only an hour.

Yeah, people are that f**king clueless.  They get their rocks off being hateful.  It's more sad than anything else.
:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/16/10 at 6:36 pm

I'm watching The Insider right now, and Carnie Wilson is blathering on about houw she's never been unboarded, even though she spilled into the next person's seat space.

Apparently in her world, it is OK if she not only gets to user the airplane seat that she paid for, but also the one that the person next to her paid for too.

I stand firm in my opinion.  If Smith was encroaching on the other person's seat space (a situation that I have not heard confirmed or debunked, however) then Southwest absolutely did the right thing by refusing to carry him.

Smith knows this too... that's why he originally bought 2 seats in the first place.

But gotta give him credit, he got LOTS of free publicity and pity out of this.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/16/10 at 10:29 pm

Yeah, people are that f**king clueless.  They get their rocks off being hateful.  It's more sad than anything else.

I agree 1000%, it is more sad than anything else!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/17/10 at 10:42 am

I'm watching The Insider right now, and Carnie Wilson is blathering on about houw she's never been unboarded, even though she spilled into the next person's seat space.

Apparently in her world, it is OK if she not only gets to user the airplane seat that she paid for, but also the one that the person next to her paid for too.

I stand firm in my opinion.  If Smith was encroaching on the other person's seat space (a situation that I have not heard confirmed or debunked, however) then Southwest absolutely did the right thing by refusing to carry him.

Smith knows this too... that's why he originally bought 2 seats in the first place.

But gotta give him credit, he got LOTS of free publicity and pity out of this.

Kevin Smith's not that big.  He actually asked the passengers to either side of him whether he was encroaching into their airspace, so to speak, and neither one complained.  He could get both armrests down and if he had time, would've put on the seat belt without needing an extender.  He apparently buys two seats not because he's fat, but because he doesn't like sitting next to people.  Therefore it would seem that Southwest erred in this case.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/17/10 at 11:49 am

Kevin Smith's not that big.  He actually asked the passengers to either side of him whether he was encroaching into their airspace, so to speak, and neither one complained.  He could get both armrests down and if he had time, would've put on the seat belt without needing an extender.  He apparently buys two seats not because he's fat, but because he doesn't like sitting next to people.  Therefore it would seem that Southwest erred in this case.

Based on that information then it would indeed be incorrect to throw him off the plane.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/17/10 at 12:30 pm

I would much rather have a person's gut encroach into my space than have someone who is lacking in personal hygeine sit next to me, or someone who doesn't shut the *&^D up the entire flight.  There are people that snore, fart, eat smelly foods, and turn their headphones way too loud.  Should we kick them all off too?  I can't tell you how many times I've sat in front of some little @ssshole kid that kicks the back of my seat the entire flight.  I actually had to stand up once and ask the child's mother to please control her little bastard.  Another flight, I sat next to a mother that proceeded to get totally wasted, and let her toddler climb into my lap.  I sat and held her daughter so that she could drink.  But I'm the jerk for being overweight?

Seriously people.  We are all inconvenienced by other people every day.  There are alot worse things than having someone's fat roll touch you. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/17/10 at 12:57 pm

I would much rather have a person's gut encroach into my space than have someone who is lacking in personal hygeine sit next to me, or someone who doesn't shut the *&^D up the entire flight.  There are people that snore, fart, eat smelly foods, and turn their headphones way too loud.  Should we kick them all off too?  I can't tell you how many times I've sat in front of some little @ssshole kid that kicks the back of my seat the entire flight.  I actually had to stand up once and ask the child's mother to please control her little bastard.  Another flight, I sat next to a mother that proceeded to get totally wasted, and let her toddler climb into my lap.  I sat and held her daughter so that she could drink.  But I'm the jerk for being overweight?

Seriously people.  We are all inconvenienced by other people every day.  There are alot worse things than having someone's fat roll touch you. 

Not when I pay hard earned $$$ for the privledge of having the seat... the ENTIRE seat. I've rented that seat for the duration of the flight and do not appreciate somebody expropriating that for which I paid.

People who obviously stink?  Heck yeah, throw them off.  Not sure what the exact standard would be.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/17/10 at 4:15 pm

LOL.... i love that last sentence.. So true!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/10 at 7:26 pm

Passengers should also have to sign a pre-flight contract NOT to:
a. Snore
b. Get gas.
c. Tell boring stories.

:P

Written By: joeman on 02/17/10 at 8:26 pm

Kevin Smith doesn't seem that fat to me.  I dunno, I heard something about 65 percent of all Americans are considered overweight and/or obese by the BMI charts.  If you ask me, we are evolving more and more and a 5'7 275 pound man nowadays can live long, if not longer, than a lean 5'11 190 pound man in the say...the 1960's.

Written By: ninny on 02/17/10 at 9:04 pm

Well said :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/18/10 at 8:40 am

Kevin Smith doesn't seem that fat to me.  I dunno, I heard something about 65 percent of all Americans are considered overweight and/or obese by the BMI charts.  If you ask me, we are evolving more and more and a 5'7 275 pound man nowadays can live long, if not longer, than a lean 5'11 190 pound man in the say...the 1960's.

Obesity is a huge health issue and the biggest disservice that can be done to overweight people is to encourage them to delude themselves that it is healthy.  Somebody who is 5'7" and 275lbs is at severely greater risk for premature death.

For every "jolly old man" who lives into his 70's there are likely dozens who died prematurely.

My own experience?  I had two childhood friends, my closest freinds in high school.  Both were considerably overweight (one was maybe 5'9" and by my estimate was closer to 400lbs than 300lbs, the other was 6' tall and prolly 350 lbs).  Neither of them made it to 50 years old.

I remember when we were kids, both of them would cite all sorts of rationalizations as to why "their weight was not going to be a health problem" (I never hassled them about their weight by the way).  Neither of them ever got their weight under control.  One died a very bad death, with several amputations due to his diabetes.  The other died of a massive heart attack.  He was found sitting in his easy chair where he had been watching TV, which was pretty much what he had been doing in his off-hours from 1976 through 2009 when he died.

Modern medicine has BETTER TREATMENTS for the diseases that obesity promotes, such as diabetes and heart disease.  But that does not mean that obesity can somehow be "made healthy", or that the human species has evolved in the past 60 years such that the physiology of obesity has somehow adapted.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/18/10 at 9:45 am

I think the point isn't that Kevin Smith is overweight/obese (he is, and he accepts that he'll probably die a cheeseburger-related death) but that he actually fit into his seat without drowning his neighbors in fat and they still tossed him off because they didn't like Mallrats or something.

Written By: ninny on 02/18/10 at 10:41 am

I think the point isn't that Kevin Smith is overweight/obese (he is, and he accepts that he'll probably die a cheeseburger-related death) but that he actually fit into his seat without drowning his neighbors in fat and they still tossed him off because they didn't like Mallrats or something.

Maybe they thought he would be Silent Bob and not say a word about it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/10 at 12:19 pm

They did what to him?  Great promotion in this dismal economy!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses9.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/10 at 12:54 pm

Obesity is a huge health issue and the biggest disservice that can be done to overweight people is to encourage them to delude themselves that it is healthy.  Somebody who is 5'7" and 275lbs is at severely greater risk for premature death.

For every "jolly old man" who lives into his 70's there are likely dozens who died prematurely.

My own experience?  I had two childhood friends, my closest freinds in high school.  Both were considerably overweight (one was maybe 5'9" and by my estimate was closer to 400lbs than 300lbs, the other was 6' tall and prolly 350 lbs).  Neither of them made it to 50 years old.

I remember when we were kids, both of them would cite all sorts of rationalizations as to why "their weight was not going to be a health problem" (I never hassled them about their weight by the way).  Neither of them ever got their weight under control.  One died a very bad death, with several amputations due to his diabetes.  The other died of a massive heart attack.  He was found sitting in his easy chair where he had been watching TV, which was pretty much what he had been doing in his off-hours from 1976 through 2009 when he died.

Modern medicine has BETTER TREATMENTS for the diseases that obesity promotes, such as diabetes and heart disease.  But that does not mean that obesity can somehow be "made healthy", or that the human species has evolved in the past 60 years such that the physiology of obesity has somehow adapted.

Your friend in the easy chair sounds like my friend Sam, who's 55, morbidly obese, and smokes four packs a day even after a near-fatal heart attack.  I call it slow suicide.  Owing to the antisocial aspect of his mental illness, Sam has alienated all but the most resolute of his friends.  I'm one of a few people he can still talk to.  If I started nagging him about his health, I know he wouldn't listen.  He might even stop talking to me.  He's made his decision to go up in a blaze of tobacco smoke and chili dogs, and I've had to make peace wit that.  He leaves his little tumbledown house in the woods only when he must.  I talk to him on the phone a couple of times a week.  We catch up on goings-on, tell some jokes, old stories, and what have you, but I know it could be a month, it could be three years, but one of these days, I'm going to get word his heart exploded.

I really started noticing obesity as a phenomenon in the mid '80s.  It has gotten more and more common since then.  I think a lot of has to do with high-fructose corn syrup being in damn near everything.  If my metabolism was different, I'd probably be obese given the amount of junk I eat and how little exercise I get nowadays.  I used to be so scrawny I drank those weight-gaining shakes and pumped iron four times a week.  I was sinewy and muscular, but I still didn't pick up much bulk.  Then I hit my late thirties and...well, I don't drink those weight-gainer shakes anymore!
;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/18/10 at 4:56 pm

Your friend in the easy chair sounds like my friend Sam, who's 55, morbidly obese, and smokes four packs a day even after a near-fatal heart attack.  I call it slow suicide.  Owing to the antisocial aspect of his mental illness, Sam has alienated all but the most resolute of his friends. 

Well I don't think my buddy was antisocial or anything.  In addition to watching TV from the easy chair, his other occasional pasttime was to go to the local boobie bar.  He'd go to those ones where they have the little booth with the curtain and you had to put like $10 into a slot so the curtain would be raised and you could see the show.  Kinda like that Madonna video.

I asked him if they brought drinks or gave private lap dances in those booths and he said "No, the room's too small.  There's just a door, a curtain, a money slot, a box of Kleenex and a trash can.  8-P  Wanna go with me next time, LB?"

I declined the offer, said "Uh, no, I think I'm busy that night".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/10 at 7:58 pm

Well I don't think my buddy was antisocial or anything.  In addition to watching TV from the easy chair, his other occasional pasttime was to go to the local boobie bar.  He'd go to those ones where they have the little booth with the curtain and you had to put like $10 into a slot so the curtain would be raised and you could see the show.  Kinda like that Madonna video.

I asked him if they brought drinks or gave private lap dances in those booths and he said "No, the room's too small.  There's just a door, a curtain, a money slot, a box of Kleenex and a trash can.   8-P  Wanna go with me next time, LB?"

I declined the offer, said "Uh, no, I think I'm busy that night".

Was it brand name Kleenex or generic, uh, facial tissue.
???

Sorry...off topic.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/19/10 at 8:12 am

Was it brand name Kleenex or generic, uh, facial tissue.
???

Sorry...off topic.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

Actually now that I think of it, I think he said it was a roll of paper towels.  :-X

Written By: Jessica on 02/19/10 at 10:07 am

Actually now that I think of it, I think he said it was a roll of paper towels.  :-X

I hope it was the Bounty brand.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/19/10 at 10:42 am

I hope it was the Bounty brand.

The quicker picker upper!  ;D

I wouldn't wanna be in there with Brawny

http://tsnroundup.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/brawny.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/10 at 1:46 pm

The quicker picker upper!   ;D

I wouldn't wanna be in there with Brawny

http://tsnroundup.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/brawny.jpg

Hey, he looks a little like your old pal Johnny Wadd!

Written By: 80sfan on 02/19/10 at 2:32 pm

That's the dark side of human nature for you.  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/19/10 at 3:01 pm

Hey, he looks a little like your old pal Johnny Wadd!

yeah there is a resemblence !

Check for new replies or respond here...