inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Family Guy disappoints Sarah Palin..again

Written By: ninny on 02/18/10 at 11:03 am

The recent Family Guy episode, which had the Chris falling for a girl with Down Syndrome, was not met with good humor by Sarah Palin.

The episode featured Chris on a date with the girl, and he asks what her parents do. The girl with the syndrome replied, “My dad’s an accountant, and my mom is the former governor of Alaska.”

Palin resigned last summer as governor of Alaska, and her youngest son Trig has the syndrome.

Palin lashed out at the animated series in her Facebook page. She said “Fox Hollywood–What a Disappointment”, calling the episode as “another kick in the gut.”

Palin’s eldest daughter Bristol, also expressed her feelings, calling the show’s writers “heartless jerks.”

“When you’re the son or daughter of a public figure, you have to develop thick skin. My siblings and I all have that, but insults directed at our youngest brother hurt too much for us to remain silent,” Bristol adds.

Read more: http://www.thedailyinquirer.net/family-guy-disappoints-sarah-palin/029622#ixzz0fuLovpA3

Did anyone watch the episode? I usually watch Family Guy, but was watching the Olympics. They were talking about it on HLN and the majority was that the episode went to far and insulted Special Needs Children.

Subject: Re: Family Guy disappoints Sarah Palin..again

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/10 at 11:53 am

I didn't see the episode, just the clip, so I don't know if they did what Family Guy and South Park usually do, make a socially redeeming statement to qualify a tasteless joke.  As a rule of thumb, don't make fun of people for things they can't possibly help.  Nobody asks for Down Syndrome and DS is a hardship for the individuals afflicted with it and their families -- no matter who they are.

People with mental retardation have been the subject of cruel jokes for too long.  I don't respect Sarah Palin, but it's repulsive to spoof her by ridiculing her child's handicap.

Written By: Jessica on 02/18/10 at 1:18 pm

I watched it.  My thoughts on it?  Palin needs to STFU and go hunt a moose or something.  It wasn't offensive, and had shyt all to do with her or her children (except the remark about the mom being the former Governor of Alaska).  She just needs something to bitch about.

Written By: ninny on 02/18/10 at 1:34 pm

This is the opinion of The View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7JsiaJbHho&feature=related#

Written By: Jessica on 02/18/10 at 1:50 pm

I don't watch "The View".  Bunch of cackling, gossipy hens.

Written By: whistledog on 02/18/10 at 2:58 pm

Family Guy always pushes the envelope, and if Palin and these other people are ever shocked by it, then they need to hole themselves into a padded room or something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkt2hEe-kbU&feature=related

Written By: ninny on 02/18/10 at 3:05 pm

Family Guy always pushes the envelope, and if Palin and these other people are ever shocked by it, then they need to hole themselves into a padded room or something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkt2hEe-kbU&feature=related

Funny ;D

Written By: ninny on 02/18/10 at 3:06 pm

They were mixed on their reviews, they weren't as bad as I thought they would be.

Written By: sonikuu on 02/18/10 at 3:42 pm

Republicans hate "liberal victims" (hell, Ann Coulter wrote a book on it), but Sarah Palin sure is playing the "conservative victim" card quite a bit.

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/10 at 3:44 pm

I watched it.  My thoughts on it?  Palin needs to STFU and go hunt a moose or something.  It wasn't offensive, and had shyt all to do with her or her children (except the remark about the mom being the former Governor of Alaska).  She just needs something to bitch about.

exactly... not unless her son Trig grows up to be transgendered or something.. the connection to Palin was the (my mom's ex gov)

I thought the comment seemed out of place... not because it was offensive in anyway but because there was nothing else about the character to tie it to Palin... unless it was a slight slam against her daughters... and if it was I missed it  ::) 

I like the View's take on the whole thing... dude calls someone retarded behind closed doors - palin gets pissed.
Limbaugh uses retarded - Palin says its okay cuz he was being satirical then changes her POV when she comes under scrutiny
Now she bashes Family Guy.....for being.... satirical.  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/10 at 3:45 pm

This is the opinion of The View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7JsiaJbHho&feature=related#

or I' could've just posted a clip like ninny did!  :D

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/10 at 3:45 pm

I love the View!

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/10 at 3:46 pm

They were mixed on their reviews, they weren't as bad as I thought they would be.

yeah I expected more from Elisabeth on this one.  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/18/10 at 4:48 pm

Reminded me of this scene, from Tropic Thunder.

http://vimeo.com/3945205

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/10 at 7:46 pm

Republicans hate "liberal victims" (hell, Ann Coulter wrote a book on it), but Sarah Palin sure is playing the "conservative victim" card quite a bit.

You can tell a lot about people by who they consider victims.  When American conservatives speak of "victims" they generally speak of other American conservatives.  Usually from rich families. Usually white.  Usually Christian.  If they're Jewish, it has something to do with Israeli politics.
::)

Written By: Jessica on 02/19/10 at 9:50 am

Oh, SNAP!

Family Guy Actress Defends Portrayal

For those that don't feel like reading much, a quote from the article:

Andrea Fay Friedman, the actress who herself has Down syndrome, said the scene was merely meant to be sarcastic.

"I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor," she said in an e-mail to the New York Times. "I thought the line 'I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska' was very funny. I think the word is 'sarcasm.' In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life."

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/19/10 at 11:22 am

You can tell a lot about people by who they consider victims.  When American conservatives speak of "victims" they generally speak of other American conservatives.  Usually from rich families. Usually white.  Usually Christian.  If they're Jewish, it has something to do with Israeli politics.

You pretty hit the nail on the head.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/19/10 at 11:28 am

It was by the way, sarcasm, and if Palin was to ever watch the show, she should would that the show, does that sometimes.

How would Palin act it was about someone else, and not her's?

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/10 at 3:56 pm

Oh, SNAP!

Family Guy Actress Defends Portrayal

For those that don't feel like reading much, a quote from the article:

that's awesome! I love that chick. I've seen her on Life Goes On, L&O: SVU, ER & Saving Grace

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/10 at 3:57 pm

It was by the way, sarcasm, and if Palin was to ever watch the show, she should would that the show, does that sometimes.

How would Palin act it was about someone else, and not her's?

sometimes?  try every other scene!  ;D

Written By: Frank on 02/19/10 at 5:17 pm

pretty much!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/19/10 at 8:11 pm

Good point!

;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/19/10 at 11:01 pm

I'm actually surprised some of the stuff FOX lets Family Guy get away with.  There's been some episodes where I'm like "Wow!  We've come along way since twin beds in the 50s" lol

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/10 at 11:10 pm

I'm actually surprised some of the stuff FOX lets Family Guy get away with.  There's been some episodes where I'm like "Wow!  We've come along way since twin beds in the 50s" lol

me too... I just saw the one where Peter found out he's "black"  with me the show is hit or miss. I find humor in a lot of it but not all of it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/10 at 1:26 pm

I heard the voiceover actress who played the character had Down Syndrome herself.  That's the trump card for Family Guy.  The big So There!

:P

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/10 at 5:15 pm

BWAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42_kcv4oL9k

Written By: Frank on 02/20/10 at 5:44 pm

me too... I just saw the one where Peter found out he's "black"  with me the show is hit or miss. I find humor in a lot of it but not all of it.

I remember that one. 
They should have one where Peter finds out he's Canadian.

I like the ones where Brian has a big part.  And I still don't know why Stewie always wants to kill Lois. Somehow Family guy mighty have an episode where he's in love with her (if they haven't already)

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/10 at 5:48 pm

I remember that one. 
They should have one where Peter finds out he's Canadian.

I like the ones where Brian has a big part.  And I still don't know why Stewie always wants to kill Lois. Somehow Family guy mighty have an episode where he's in love with her (if they haven't already)

He loved her in the breast feeding episode.  ;D

Written By: Frank on 02/20/10 at 5:51 pm

He loved her in the breast feeding episode.  ;D

He did. But one day, there just has to be a little more..that wasn't warped enough for this show!

Check for new replies or respond here...