inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gordon Lightfoot Mach II

Written By: Tam on 02/18/10 at 2:43 pm

Hopefully this thread will not get deleted!

This afternoon it was reported that Gordon Lightfoot had passed away.

I started a thread in Celebrity Haven, saying it was Unconfirmed. That thread has since been removed by Holicman.

At any rate, for those who had been following it, the original report is here:
http://www.clevescene.com/c-notes/archives/2010/02/18/singer-songwriter-gordon-lightfoot-dies

Of course, they retracted the article. There was also another article where they were saying that because the other media outlets that had reported it had since taken down their articles, they were not confirming it either.

There was finally an article in The Globe and Mail proving Mr. Lightfoot is actually alive and that the rumour was started via Twitter as a prank.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/gordon-lightfoot-very-much-alive/article1473102/

I went to move the thread from Celebrity Haven to the 2010's, so that the discussion could continue, only to find that it had already been moderated! Imagine - a Moderator moderated! ;D

Anyway, I am wondering if his publicist didn't start this? Seriously. Mr. Lightfoot is currently touring in Canada, and although there are quite a few die-hard fans of his, I am wondering if he just wasn't selling tickets like his publicist would have liked. Of course, any call to his being alive or dead, would have surely increased his search popularity on Google and other search engines! Any publicity is good publicity right?

And this also goes to show you how much faith people put into what is called Twitter! I guess anyone with an account is now a semi-credited source, and journalists can't go find their own stories, so they stay attached to Twitter, hoping to be the first ones to break a News Story.

Sadly, to me, it is like the Boy who Cried Wolf.

Subject: Re: Gordon Lightfoot Mach II

Written By: whistledog on 02/18/10 at 2:50 pm

Mr. Lightfoot had better not die.  His collaboration with David Foster on the 1986 hit 'Anything For Love' is my all-time favourite

I never put much faith into Twitter.  I don't even think it's a worthwhile website.  It's more or less just the Facebook updates without all the rest of the stuff on Facebook.  Not really exciting stuff :-\\

Written By: nally on 02/18/10 at 2:55 pm

Mr. Lightfoot had better not die.  His collaboration with David Foster on the 1986 hit 'Anything For Love' is my all-time favourite

Agreed!! Glad it wasn't a real story.

I never put much faith into Twitter.  I don't even think it's a worthwhile website.  It's more or less just the Facebook updates without all the rest of the stuff on Facebook.  Not really exciting stuff :-\\

Me neither. I never go there. For social networking, I am sticking with Facebook.

Written By: ninny on 02/18/10 at 3:03 pm

Agreed!! Glad it wasn't a real story.

Me neither. I never go there. For social networking, I am sticking with Facebook.

Totally agree with you. :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/18/10 at 3:36 pm

Apparently, Gordon Lightfoot is not dead, repeat not dead!

For some odd reason, it reminds me of the scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, when Ed Rooney gets a phone call, from Sloane's father, regarding a death in the family.

Rooney, not buying the phone call, demands that the corpse, be brought to the front of the school!

;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/18/10 at 8:36 pm

Rooney, not buying the phone call, demands that the corpse, be brought to the front of the school!

;D

"Just roll her old bones on over and we'll dig up your daughter"  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/18/10 at 8:56 pm

"Just roll her old bones on over and we'll dig up your daughter"  :D

Someone, who actually agrees with me!

;D

Written By: Frank on 02/19/10 at 5:19 pm

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/19/10 at 8:08 pm

He should have said that!

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/20/10 at 7:39 am

Don't you hate when that happens?

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/10 at 8:56 am

Don't you hate when that happens?

Cat

Gordon apparently doesn't mind, and had a really great sense of humor about it.

Written By: Frank on 02/20/10 at 5:45 pm

Gordon apparently doesn't mind, and had a really great sense of humor about it.

I heard him interviewed over the news (yesterday)  and he did laugh about it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/21/10 at 11:54 am

I heard him interviewed over the news (yesterday)  and he did laugh about it.

And that's why I love him!

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...