inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 8.8 earthquake rocks Chile

Written By: nally on 02/27/10 at 2:56 am

A massive earthquake has just struck off the coast of Chile, measuring 8.8 on the Richter scale. Buildings have shaken and blackouts have been reported in Chile's capital city of Santiago. In addition, the U.S. Geological survey has indicated that the quake generated a tsunami off the coast.

Full story here.

My thoughts go out to all those in Chile.

Subject: Re: 8.8 earthquake rocks Chile

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/27/10 at 6:20 am

Tsunami Warning issued for Hawaii and an advisory for the California coast... Hoping everyone stays safe...

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/27/10 at 7:05 am

From http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/6888773.html

Hawaii under tsunami warning
By JAYMES SONG Associated Press Writer © 2010 The Associated Press
Feb. 27, 2010, 6:43AM

EWA BEACH, Hawaii — A tsunami warning was in effect for Hawaii Saturday following a massive earthquake that struck central Chile.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center also issued a tsunami advisory for the coast of California and an Alaskan coastal area from Kodiak to Attu islands.

The first waves were expected to arrive in Hawaii at 11:19 a.m. Saturday (4:19 p.m. EST).

The center said a tsunami has been generated that could cause damage along coastlines of all islands in the Hawaii. It said a tsunami in California and Alaska was possible.

The Ewa Beach, Hawaii-based center called for "urgent action to protect lives and property" in Hawaii, which is among 53 nations and territories subject to tsunami warnings.

"The main thing is we want everyone to take this event seriously," said Charles McCreery, director of the center.

McCreery said he didn't know how big the waves will be, but he expected them to be the largest to hit Hawaii since 1964.

If coastal areas are evacuated, visitors in Waikiki would be moved to higher floors in their hotels, rather than moved out of the tourist district, which could cause gridlock.

"We've got a lot of things going for us," McCreery said. "We have a reasonable lead time. The evacuation should all take place during daylight hours, and wave impact should be during daylight hours.

"We should be able to alert everyone in harm's way to move out of the evacuation zones."

Barry Hirschon, also of the Tsunami center, said the advisory for the California coast and parts of Alaska was the agency's lowest level alert.

"It's a heads up that there's been a tsunami event and it could affect the coasts later," Hirschon told CNN. "I don't think it will be updated to a warning."

The largest earthquake ever recorded struck the same area of Chile in 1960. The deadly wave that it caused raced across the Pacific and hit the Hilo area of the Big Island, where 61 people were killed.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/27/10 at 7:59 am

How sad.  My prayers are with the people affected

Written By: Henk on 02/27/10 at 8:07 am

So far, 76 people have been reported dead. Somehow that number appears highly inaccurate to me. :-\\

Written By: Dagwood on 02/27/10 at 8:14 am

So far, 76 people have been reported dead. Somehow that number appears highly inaccurate to me. :-\\

No kidding. 

Written By: Jessica on 02/27/10 at 1:12 pm

I don't think it is.  Chile is vastly more prepared for major quakes than Haiti was.  I'd be surprised if the death toll rises above 1000.

Chile also has a long history of tremendous earthquakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_Chile

This shows why Chile has so many huge quakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Chile_earthquake#Geology

Not the best sources, I know, but they give you a general idea about the area.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 02/27/10 at 3:51 pm

I don't think it is.  Chile is vastly more prepared for major quakes than Haiti was.  I'd be surprised if the death toll rises above 1000.

Chile also has a long history of tremendous earthquakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_Chile

This shows why Chile has so many huge quakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Chile_earthquake#Geology

Not the best sources, I know, but they give you a general idea about the area.

Those are useful enough info. Thanks!

Written By: Christie Marie M on 02/27/10 at 3:51 pm

How sad.  My prayers are with the people affected

Mine, too!

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/27/10 at 4:37 pm

Just saw it's up to 148 now.

Written By: Jessica on 02/27/10 at 4:43 pm

I'm watching the live news from Hawai'i.  They're showing the wave surges generated by the quake.  Nothing major yet, but it is really eerie to see the water go in and out so quickly.  They were showing some reefs that are never exposed just sticking up out of a tiny bit of water.  Not ten minutes later, they were fully covered by the ocean like normal. :o

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/27/10 at 7:19 pm

I saw the news footage early this morning.  My thoughts go out to all in Chile.  :\'(

Written By: joeman on 02/27/10 at 9:06 pm

Man this is messed up.  What is up with these Earthquakes? 

My prayers go out to the good people in Chile.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/28/10 at 8:50 am

When does "We Are the World for Chile 25.08" come out? ???

Written By: ninny on 02/28/10 at 8:58 am

Death toll now up to at least 300, my thoughts and prayers to the people of Chile :\'(

Written By: Marian on 02/28/10 at 1:53 pm

Tsunami Warning issued for Hawaii and an advisory for the California coast... Hoping everyone stays safe...
on our local news,they showed a lot of people who gathered in hopes of seeing the tsunami.it fizzled out,and they were disappointed.

Written By: Davester on 02/28/10 at 3:33 pm

When does "We Are the World for Chile 25.08" come out? ???

You're a sick, twisted man.  But I like it...

Man this is messed up.  What is up with these Earthquakes? 

I blame God...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/01/10 at 12:19 am

You're a sick, twisted man.  But I like it...

I blame God...

He takes full responsibility...now be careful crossing the street there, Davester!
:o

Every life lost is of equal value, but there are so far fewer lives lost in Chile owing in part to building standards in that country.  Chile is a poor country by North American or West European standards, but Haiti is poor beyond what most of us can imagine.  Most people living in Haiti live in funky hovels built of salvaged scrap.  They stood no chance.
:\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...