inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beyond Credulity

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/04/10 at 8:51 am

Just when we thought the Tiger Woods hoopla was dimming down, his caddie of 11 years, Steve Williams,  has come out saying how mad he is at Tiger for all of his illicit partying.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/03/04/tiger-woods-caddie-steve-williams-pissed-mad-upset-60-minutes/#comments

You see, Steve claims that in all those 11 years, he knew nothing of Tiger's pursuit of Wilt Chamberlain's all-time scoring record.  He also says that if he had known, he woulda blown the whistle ::).  Yeah, right.

I find his "I never knew" claim beyond any credulity at all.  My thought?  Once Williams' wife found out about all of this, she broke out the rolling pin on him and now he's gotta somehow cover his arse.  The idea that the caddy of a golfer, who made world-class scores both on and off the course, did not know about this is silly.

And even if (however unbelieveable) he had been in the dark and then finally discovered Tiger's dalliances, there is NO WAY he woulda blown the whistle.  If for no other reason than I strongly suspect that as Tiger's caddy, he had a pretty iron-clad nondisclosure contract.

You know, all of these recent "press releases" by people in the Tigersphere are starting to become unseemly.  Why did Gatorade have to do a press release to announce that they were dropping their deal with Tiger?  All they had to do was simply stop running the Tiger promos.  No need to "announce" it.  I felt the same way about the Accenture and Gillette announcements too.  Simply not necessary.

These companies have not learned one of the cardinal rules of public relations... "Do not air your dirty laundry in public".

Subject: Re: Beyond Credulity

Written By: 80sfan on 03/04/10 at 11:37 am

"Why did Gatorade have to do a press release to announce that they were dropping their deal with Tiger?  All they had to do was simply stop running the Tiger promos.  No need to "announce" it.  I felt the same way about the Accenture and Gillette announcements too.  Simply not necessary."

I think they were thinking, "Bad press is better than no press these days."  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...