inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Flannel

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/04/10 at 8:21 pm

I notice for whatever reason, Flannel comes back around every 20 or so years. Flannel shirts and jackets were big in the 50s, then absent by the mid '60s, than popular with the middle aged men of the 70s, then absent in the 80s except amongst lumber-jack types, than popular in the 90s, than absent for the most of the 00s until the last year or so.

Subject: Re: Flannel

Written By: Midas on 03/04/10 at 8:36 pm

My father-in-law still wears flannel.  He is quite the trend setter :D

Written By: Dagwood on 03/04/10 at 8:40 pm

I have flannel sheets...does that count? :D

Written By: Midas on 03/04/10 at 8:48 pm

I have flannel sheets...does that count? :D

If you wear them, yes!

Flannel sheets rock, btw  8)

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/04/10 at 8:57 pm

It does seem that way. Wasn't flannel clothing originally made as a men's wear? Now a days (since the '90s) there are various styles of it.

Written By: joeman on 03/04/10 at 9:04 pm

I notice flannel is back, but unlike in the 90's, they weren't opened with a white shirt or wrapped around the waist.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/04/10 at 9:46 pm

I notice flannel is back, but unlike in the 90's, they weren't opened with a white shirt or wrapped around the waist.

No it's more like in the 50s or 60s, with buttoned flannel shirts and even flannel jackets making a comeback which I haven't seen (flannel jackets) since the early 50s. I've seen guys my age (19) wearing jackets very similar to what Brando wears in On the Waterfront.

Written By: 43twr on 03/04/10 at 9:48 pm

I'm actually wearing a flannel shirt right now ! I have 5 or so plaid flannel sheeshs that I got in the past 3 months or so. It's different from the 90s though, people in the 2010s  tend to not wear them as loose and button them more, from what I remember back in the 90s, flannel and plaid was baggy and unbuttoned.

Written By: 43twr on 03/04/10 at 9:49 pm

I'm actually wearing a flannel shirt right now ! I have 5 or so plaid flannel sheeshs that I got in the past 3 months or so. It's different from the 90s though, people in the 2010s  tend to not wear them as loose and button them more, from what I remember back in the 90s, flannel and plaid was baggy and unbuttoned.
I accidentally but flannel Sh*ts but meant shirts!

Written By: joeman on 03/04/10 at 9:58 pm

No it's more like in the 50s or 60s, with buttoned flannel shirts and even flannel jackets making a comeback which I haven't seen (flannel jackets) since the early 50s. I've seen guys my age (19) wearing jackets very similar to what Brando wears in On the Waterfront.

Yeah, I notice the college-aged kids are the ones that most into flannels at the moment.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/04/10 at 10:03 pm

If you wear them, yes!

Flannel sheets rock, btw  8)

Yes they do...especially on a cold winter night.  Nothing like toasty warm sheets to help you sleep.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/04/10 at 11:14 pm

I have flannel sheets.  I like to touch soft things.

--Lenny

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/05/10 at 2:20 am

I'm also wearing one right now as I'm typing this! It's a blue one from LL Bean. As far as I'm concerned, they are back in style. I started buying them from about a year ago. In fact, I even have a few that I actually wore in high school back in the 90's. I occasionally wear them unbuttoned with a t-shirt underneath like I did back then.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/05/10 at 10:39 am

Flannel has never gone away!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/05/10 at 1:08 pm

I LOVE my flannel sheets.

Cat

Written By: nupur on 03/05/10 at 10:52 pm

Flannel is comfy and amazing. I don't see too many people around who wear it, though. It's quite unfortunate.

Written By: joeman on 03/05/10 at 11:33 pm

Flannel is comfy and amazing. I don't see too many people around who wear it, though. It's quite unfortunate.

Really?  I live in Florida and everyone is wearing it. 

Written By: nupur on 03/06/10 at 12:43 am

Really?  I live in Florida and everyone is wearing it. 

Yup. I'm in NY and I don't see very much of it up here. Though, it is possible that I just don't notice it because half the time, people are bundled up in winter coats and such. And Ugg boots  8-P.

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/06/10 at 2:30 pm

I love flannel and I'm wearing plaid flannel pj bottoms (I'm home with a horrible cold) at the moment. I wish I had never gotten rid of the ones I had in the '90s. I was so close to buy a flannel shirt over the Christmas holidays and now I'm scolding myself for not buying one! Next time I'm at the mall, I'm going to splurge and buy one!

And why the  8-P at the mention of Ugg boots, Nupur? I actually keep meaning to buy a pair because they look so comfortable and practical.

Written By: nupur on 03/06/10 at 2:39 pm

And why the  8-P at the mention of Ugg boots, Nupur? I actually keep meaning to buy a pair because they look so comfortable and practical.

Now, I'm no fashion expert, nor am I the most "stylish" person, but I just don't like the look of Uggs! I suppose they're practical for comfort/warmth, but I'd still opt for a cuter pair of boots. Plus, I don't think they're waterproof, so you can't wear them in the snow or rain without ruining them.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/07/10 at 12:02 pm

I've never liked flannel. I try my dangdest to not wear it. LOL. I don't think I even have a flannel blanket or anything. It makes me itch.

Check for new replies or respond here...