inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think we'll hit another nostalgia wave?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/14/10 at 10:14 pm

Nostalgia for previous decades, particular 20 years ago, is common in any decade, but hasn't been a HUGE factor in society since the '70s. It seems that to a large measure, both consciously, America throughout most of the 70s and even into the early 80s pined for the past, the 1950s in particular, with much of the music, clothing, TV shows and movies of the decade harkening back in some way or another to the perceived innocence of the '50s. I don't think the wave of 70s nostalgia in the early-mid 90s was quite as strong or as massive as the wave of '50s nostalgia in the 70s was...So my question is, do you think we'll see a big wave of nostalgia like in the 70s and if so of what decade? Might we see some '50s influences return? We've already seen in many quarters a return of flannel (buttoned and sometimes even tucked in) shirts and jackets like were popular in the '50s, and in quite a few circles the long sideburns of the 50s and 60s have made a comeback, as well as the plaid shorts (at least where I live, plaid shorts were HUGE last summer) which hadn't been seen since the early-mid 70s.
I'm thinking that if there is a nostalgia wave, it won't be of the 90s but of the 70s and 50s.

Subject: Re: Do you think we'll hit another nostalgia wave?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/15/10 at 1:16 am

Not after they start treating the water with Xanax!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/grommit.gif

Written By: sonikuu on 03/15/10 at 5:57 am

We already had one with the 80s.  See: Transformers, GI Joe (though the original toy is from the 60s, the show is from the 80s), Miami Vice, V, etc.  All movies or tv shows that are based off of things from the 80s.  Heck, we even got a Knight Rider remake tv series a year or so back and an A-Team movie coming out this year.  Not to mention the inclusion of 80s songs and things of that nature in media over the past few years.  The 90s will get their turn eventually.

Also, the reason nostalgia was such a big deal in the time period you're talking about is because of the 60s and how much American society changed.  As with any great period of change, there is the inevitable push back and pining for the "good old days" that always occurs.

Written By: joeman on 03/16/10 at 12:09 pm

I dunno, according to sociology articles I read, there might be a prediction about America reverting back to the 1950's culture and value.  It makes a lot of sense, since media has been toning down and becoming more sophisticated, as oppose to the 90's and the large part of the 00's.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/16/10 at 3:14 pm

Actually there is one, and it's of the late 80's and early 90's.

Written By: silhouette on 03/16/10 at 4:03 pm

Maybe we'll start fondly remembering the early 2000's...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/10 at 4:18 pm

I can't image that-9-11, the Iraq war, Bush  8-P , etc. etc.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/16/10 at 5:40 pm

Sure.....

::)

Written By: silhouette on 03/16/10 at 6:05 pm

I don't see how it could happen.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/17/10 at 9:47 pm

The current nostalgia wave of the past several years hasn't been about a particular decade but of a broader mix in persepctive. You have some late '60s hippies, late '80s/early '90s gaming, fashion from practically any 20th century decade, '70s music is still dominant on classic rock/classic hits/oldies stations, '40s/'50s lounge culture, and movies from practically the '30s to the present (with sequels). It's really an aggregation of various epoches that can market properly as many feel that each era has a different "color" to a certain person and has a enique tone. Of course the contemporary 21st century stuff is generally mostly accepted by kids/teens.

Written By: joeman on 03/24/10 at 12:34 pm

I would also like to add, whenever the current decade does these nostalgia trips, they put all the years of said decade into one event as if everything happened in X decade happened in that year. 

The Simpsons had an episode called the "90's show" were Marge was attending college in the early 90's.  Apparently a character called Marvin called Kurt Cobain and told him a new sound Homer's band made and a few scenes later Homer quoted a Sienfield phrase that didn't come out until way after Kurt Cobain was dead.

I really think if the 90's nostaglia hits the 2010s, the entertainment sector would most likely have something like MC Hammer and Jerry Springer coexisting or something like that.

Written By: superflykid2008 on 03/25/10 at 2:05 am

I'm hoping for a 90s nostalgia wave. I liked the 80s nostalgia wave, but I wasn't around in the 80s, and the 90s was part of my childhood, so I think that would be really cool

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/25/10 at 5:45 pm

I dunno, according to sociology articles I read, there might be a prediction about America reverting back to the 1950's culture and value.  It makes a lot of sense, since media has been toning down and becoming more sophisticated, as oppose to the 90's and the large part of the 00's.

Can I have a link to the article?

Written By: tv on 03/25/10 at 6:22 pm

The 90's were pretty tone down for the most part except for 1999(teen-pop), and some of 1998 rap music(you know the Puff Daddy and Jay-Z rap where the rap about how much money they had.)

Its feels a little like an early 90's nostalgia feel too it currently.

Written By: superflykid2008 on 03/25/10 at 8:49 pm

How is a 90s nostalgia trip too recent when in the 00s we had an 80s nostalgia thing going on?

Written By: tnf on 04/08/10 at 10:10 am

I doubt that... I've had a 90s and 00s nostalgy site (stopped early 2010 and replaced by the site in my signature), and till the end, the 90s subjects got 5 times more views than the 00s subjects. And when I took a look at the searchwords in my Statcounter... '90s'. 'nineties'. 'happy hardcore'. '90s fashion'. 'Nirvana.' 'Spice girls'. '90s pop.' And on and on and on. Almost no 00s searches.

But I wanted to talk about the 00s too, I didn't want to limit myself too much.

Written By: Criz on 04/19/10 at 1:05 pm

We've been in an 80s influenced decade since about 2003 I think...I thought it would die down but it has become more apparent over the last couple of years. The early 90s is also seeing in. We're due a 90s revival I think, but I really don't see what was so great about the late 90s/early 00s and why people would want to revive it!

Written By: 10sTeen on 04/22/10 at 10:25 am

We've been in an 80s influenced decade since about 2003 I think...I thought it would die down but it has become more apparent over the last couple of years. The early 90s is also seeing in. We're due a 90s revival I think, but I really don't see what was so great about the late 90s/early 00s and why people would want to revive it!

The problem is 2010 is still kinda 90s.

Written By: tv on 04/22/10 at 11:45 am

The problem is 2010 is still kinda 90s.
Really, I didn't know Grunge, Gangsta Rap, and Nu-Metal were still popular. 00's Glam Rap is even dead now. I must have been sleeping for the past 10-15 years. The 90''s died a long time ago like when 9/11 happened. The core 00's are (2003-mid 2007 or to mid 2008.) I thought the 00's died when Obama got elected or when electro-pop overtook Glam Rap as the most popular music trend in the US maybe sometime in Summer of 2008 or late 2008.

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/22/10 at 12:44 pm

I think so....

I'm thinking of making a film called "Moondog Millionaire" and it's a dramedy of this musician from the 50's.

I'm also thinking of using this song a lot on a TV Show I'm making called "Bertstown"....

SBgQezOF8kY

I can't image that-9-11, the Iraq war, Bush  8-P , etc. etc.

Cat

Don't forget about those Reality Shows and Sell-Out Stations!

Written By: Criz on 04/22/10 at 1:27 pm

Really, I didn't know Grunge, Gangsta Rap, and Nu-Metal were still popular. 00's Glam Rap is even dead now. I must have been sleeping for the past 10-15 years. The 90''s died a long time ago like when 9/11 happened. The core 00's are (2003-mid 2007 or to mid 2008.) I thought the 00's died when Obama got elected or when electro-pop overtook Glam Rap as the most popular music trend in the US maybe sometime in Summer of 2008 or late 2008.

I agree - I don't know how they got so popular.  And I also agree on your other point - the 90s feel is gone in my opinion - I definitely don't think the 00s were an extension of the 90s. We've reverted back to the 80s as far as I can tell. The only thing that's new is all of the technology - however, there was a surge in new technology in the 80s as we well know.

Written By: joeman on 04/22/10 at 3:15 pm

I agree - I don't know how they got so popular.  And I also agree on your other point - the 90s feel is gone in my opinion - I definitely don't think the 00s were an extension of the 90s. We've reverted back to the 80s as far as I can tell. The only thing that's new is all of the technology - however, there was a surge in new technology in the 80s as we well know.

Agreed about the 00s being an extension of the 90s.  There were a lot of series of games started in the 90s hitting the 00s and the rock music of the decade was an extension of 1995 Grunge Rock.

Written By: tv on 04/25/10 at 5:28 pm

Agreed about the 00s being an extension of the 90s.  There were a lot of series of games started in the 90s hitting the 00s and the rock music of the decade was an extension of 1995 Grunge Rock.
A Genre like EMO really wasn;t in an extension of 1995 Grunge maybe 1995 pop-punk like "Green Day" and "The Offspring" mixed in with late 90's teen-pop. "Post-Grunge" I thought was started by the band "Creed" in 1997 or by a band like "Seven Marry Three" in 1995 and not by the original Grunge Bands themselves.

Check for new replies or respond here...