inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will Rock music comeback in the '10s?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/21/10 at 11:45 pm

Do you think Rock Music will come back in any form in the 2010s, or will it stay dead and rap still dominate?

Subject: Re: Will Rock music comeback in the '10s?

Written By: joeman on 03/22/10 at 12:49 am

Honestly?  I think Rock is either dead, or will be converted to electronic/industrial form.  I am a guitar player, and there are guitars out now with automatic tunings.  I think a lot of people are tired of the Modern Rock that is on right now, and that rebellion isn't really a cool thing anymore.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/22/10 at 1:53 pm

Rock music will never die, just metamorph into something else.

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 03/22/10 at 2:25 pm

I think that at least for the next few years, if rock has any significant presence, it will be similar to that of the emerging electronic rock that is pretty popular on the indie scene now (Animal Collective, MGMT, Neon Indian, Yeasayer, etc).

I don't want to say "rock is dead". Of course, it can never truly die, but I really hope we have another Smells Like Teen Spirit craze this decade.

Written By: tv on 03/22/10 at 5:52 pm

Honestly?  I think Rock is either dead, or will be converted to electronic/industrial form.  I am a guitar player, and there are guitars out now with automatic tunings.  I think a lot of people are tired of the Modern Rock that is on right now, and that rebellion isn't really a cool thing anymore.
I'm wondering why the rebellion thing isn't cool anymore. It was cool in the 80's with Hair Metal before Hair Metal got corny from 1989-1991. Rebellion was cool when Grunge was hot from late 1991-1995/1996.

Written By: Cory! on 03/22/10 at 6:35 pm

I wish the whole hair metal/glam rock thing would come back.
That seemed like a whole lotta fun x) Somehow rock needs to be fun again though.
I can tell you that A LOT of my friends from school are really into screamo...(bands like Atilla,
iwrestledabearonce!, etc.) Thats at least WAY more fun than the alternative rock on the radio now.
They even have their own unique look most of the time...and the way some of the bands dress look sorta
like how they dressed in the hair metal days...buuut something definately needs to happen with rock.
Like the only kind of rock thats been mainstream my entire life is alternative and its getting extremely tiring.
I remember liking some of the songs when I was a little kid in the early 00's but thats it. :P I hope something happens
with rock though. Its definitely been way overdue for a change.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/22/10 at 6:45 pm

'00s rock has been dominated by Nickelback and clones.  Of course there was a ton of harder rock and heavy metal produced in the '00s but the mainstream stuff pretty much all sounded the same between 2002 and 2008.  I think America is ready for a new sound and when we get it, rock will make a comeback.

Written By: tv on 03/22/10 at 6:58 pm

'00s rock has been dominated by Nickelback and clones.  Of course there was a ton of harder rock and heavy metal produced in the '00s but the mainstream stuff pretty much all sounded the same between 2002 and 2008.  I think America is ready for a new sound and when we get it, rock will make a comeback.
Well we did have the EMO thing going on from 2003-early 2008 which was different from Nickleback. EMO was kinda rooted off of pop-punk though.

Written By: joeman on 03/22/10 at 7:07 pm

I'm wondering why the rebellion thing isn't cool anymore. It was cool in the 80's with Hair Metal before Hair Metal got corny from 1989-1991. Rebellion was cool when Grunge was hot from late 1991-1995/1996.

I dunno, what I have from kids today, they don't seem to be full of angst as in the past.  Maybe I am wrong, but I do know it is harder to promote Rock music these days due to the Internet and their many outlets.  Hopefully when Sirius Radio becomes cheaper, record companies can usher in a new form of Rock and Roll to feed to the masses.

So far in regular radio, grunge music and it's offspring is still played despite the classic rock station playing them now too.  In Nirvana's case though, I think their fame is about as high as Black Sabbath, which gets a lot of radio time too.

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/10 at 10:02 pm

Rock music is alive and well in some parts of the world.  Plenty of it up here

Written By: Brian06 on 03/23/10 at 6:08 am

What hurt rock in '00s was that a lot of '00s rock was just an inferior version of '90s rock. 2000s rock was essentially post grunge/nu metal/pop punk/emo. Rock actually was very popular in the early 2000s, I'd actually say it was more popular overall than rap or it was at least an equal. I remember  in my high school all the guys liked nu metal at first but by my later high school years rap was the clear genre of choice. 2001 and 2002 especially seem to scream that whole post grunge nu metal image while rap's biggest years seem to center around the middle of the decade which to me is the "crunk era". Emo music didn't really seem that huge to me though it had some good mainstream sucess mainly from 2005 to 2007, though I do think it did have a lot of influence on late '00s fashion.

Written By: tv on 03/23/10 at 5:03 pm

I think that at least for the next few years, if rock has any significant presence, it will be similar to that of the emerging electronic rock that is pretty popular on the indie scene now (Animal Collective, MGMT, Neon Indian, Yeasayer, etc).

I don't want to say "rock is dead". Of course, it can never truly die, but I really hope we have another Smells Like Teen Spirit craze this decade.
Yeah maybe the whole current electro-pop trend(Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Britney) will turn into an electro-rock trend like you mentioned sort of like Disco turned into New Wave/Synth-pop in the first half of the 80's.

Written By: tv on 03/23/10 at 5:07 pm

What hurt rock in '00s was that a lot of '00s rock was just an inferior version of '90s rock. 2000s rock was essentially post grunge/nu metal/pop punk/emo. Rock actually was very popular in the early 2000s, I'd actually say it was more popular overall than rap or it was at least an equal. I remember  in my high school all the guys liked nu metal at first but by my later high school years rap was the clear genre of choice. 2001 and 2002 especially seem to scream that whole post grunge nu metal image while rap's biggest years seem to center around the middle of the decade which to me is the "crunk era". Emo music didn't really seem that huge to me though it had some good mainstream sucess mainly from 2005 to 2007, though I do think it did have a lot of influence on late '00s fashion.
Yeah I remember in 2001-2002 rock like Staind, Creed, Limp Bizkit, and Stone Sour was big.

Written By: Cory! on 03/23/10 at 7:35 pm

Hmmm :D Sorta like this? :) I find electronic music in rock starting to get popular too...hmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9_It-v9XDU

Written By: joeman on 03/23/10 at 7:37 pm

What hurt rock in '00s was that a lot of '00s rock was just an inferior version of '90s rock. 2000s rock was essentially post grunge/nu metal/pop punk/emo. Rock actually was very popular in the early 2000s, I'd actually say it was more popular overall than rap or it was at least an equal. I remember  in my high school all the guys liked nu metal at first but by my later high school years rap was the clear genre of choice. 2001 and 2002 especially seem to scream that whole post grunge nu metal image while rap's biggest years seem to center around the middle of the decade which to me is the "crunk era". Emo music didn't really seem that huge to me though it had some good mainstream sucess mainly from 2005 to 2007, though I do think it did have a lot of influence on late '00s fashion.

Rap music pretty much dominated the 12-34 demograph in the later 00's.  Today's Rap got huge through Youtube, Myspace, and other sites.  I once saw an interview of Soulja Boy with Snoop Dog saying that is what rappers do today.  Apparently, these new rappers get heat from older generation rappers, like Ice T and Nas.  A lot of rappers in the late 90's adopted this new style too, like Busta Rhymes.  Rap now seems so much faster, and more of a techno sound.

Nu-Metal has been around in the 90's, and I would argue they were around before grunge.  For example Faith No More, despite what record companies would classfy them, had all the characterstics, down to the bass-driven songs, angst, and sometimes rap.  Rage Against The Machine is another band that was around for a while too.  The problem was that a lot of bands came out in 2001 that was basically a carbon clones to the Korn, RATM, etc...  It died off in 03, along with a lot of post-grunge bands at the time(like Creed).

I remember Emo being around later in the 00's, I don't remember being popular until after 03.  I wondered how it got popular in the first place, because at the time MTV was turning into RTV, and that channel used to be the major outlet to shill the latest music trends.  Rap still had BET.  

Written By: tv on 03/24/10 at 9:20 am

Rap music pretty much dominated the 12-34 demograph in the later 00's.  Today's Rap got huge through Youtube, Myspace, and other sites.  I once saw an interview of Soulja Boy with Snoop Dog saying that is what rappers do today.  Apparently, these new rappers get heat from older generation rappers, like Ice T and Nas.  A lot of rappers in the late 90's adopted this new style too, like Busta Rhymes.  Rap now seems so much faster, and more of a techno sound.

Nu-Metal has been around in the 90's, and I would argue they were around before grunge.  For example Faith No More, despite what record companies would classfy them, had all the characterstics, down to the bass-driven songs, angst, and sometimes rap.  Rage Against The Machine is another band that was around for a while too.  The problem was that a lot of bands came out in 2001 that was basically a carbon clones to the Korn, RATM, etc...  It died off in 03, along with a lot of post-grunge bands at the time(like Creed).

I remember Emo being around later in the 00's, I don't remember being popular until after 03.  I wondered how it got popular in the first place, because at the time MTV was turning into RTV, and that channel used to be the major outlet to shill the latest music trends.  Rap still had BET.  

People over 30 or even over the age of 25 listen to today's rap music? I remember being disgusted by most rap beginning in the second half of 2005 because of the emergence of "ringtone rap" in late 2005.  I was 25 or 26 back in 2005 too. I was first exposed to rap because I drove 2 people to school in my senior year of High School back in 1997-1998 and they used too have Hip-hop/R&B station on all the time in my car.

Written By: joeman on 03/24/10 at 11:30 am

People over 30 or even over the age of 25 listen to today's rap music? I remember being disgusted by most rap beginning in the second half of 2005 because of the emergence of "ringtone rap" in late 2005.  I was 25 or 26 back in 2005 too. I was first exposed to rap because I drove 2 people to school in my senior year of High School back in 1997-1998 and they used too have Hip-hop/R&B station on all the time in my car.

It is a standard demographic marketers use, though it is actually it should be 18-34(aka young adult).  I completely agree with you with everything else though, but who knows these days because I knew a 50 year old that is into new music.

You started listening to rap in 97?  That is when I started getting into it.  My brother is actually your age and was a huge fan of the Dr Dre/G-Funk era rap, of course he was also influenced by an older sibling who was into old-school 80's rap.

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 03/25/10 at 2:56 pm

Hmmm :D Sorta like this? :) I find electronic music in rock starting to get popular too...hmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9_It-v9XDU

Meh, not so much. Check out some of these songs on Youtube.

Animal Collective- Summertime Clothes
MGMT- Time to Pretend
Yeasayer- Ambling Alp
Neon Indian- Terminally Chill
TV On the Radio- Golden Age
Passion Pit- The Reeling

Check for new replies or respond here...